Code of Conduct

Default Which of these would get the most compliments?

Hi guys im looking to get a new cologne. I already habe dg light blue, bleu de chanel, cool water, la nuit, allure homme sport, zara gold, sean john unforgivable.. Ive been doing a lot of research and these colognes seem to be most popular.. What should my next 2 purchases be from this list? Or recommend another, thanks

Black xs
    Pure malt
    Dior homme intense
    Givenchy intense
    Dg the one
    Platinum egoiste
    Leau dissey

Default Re: Which of these would get the most compliments?

Pure Malt
    Dior Homme Intense

Black XS and Dior Homme Intense I'd say. The One is too weak to be noticed by most, though it's a hell of a smell

From my experience....platinum egoiste has gotten me the most compliments out of the ones mentioned. For my tastes Dior Homme Intense would follow.

I am not familiar with Black xs....the rest are not to my liking.

Basenotes Junkie

Pure Malt gets me the most compliments.
    Dior Homme Intense is my favorite and also gets a good number of compliments.
    Can't go wrong with either one, but sample first.

I like Black XS and Platinum Egoiste best from your list.

Basenotes Member
    Blog Entries

Platinum egoiste

All of them. Scent preference is a matter of taste and when someone likes another abhors.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Pure Malt
    Dior Homme Intense
    this

seems like dior homme intense and pure malt are the popular choices... where can i try these scents out? are they available at sephora(basically only fragrance shop around me)

One's you can definitely eliminate:
    Play Intense (not strong enough, although it smells great)
    Egoist (smells like Fierce, which everyone has smelled before)
    The One (You need to be able to smell it to compliment it...)
    Leau DIssey (...)

One that will definitely get you compliments is Pure Malt.

Platinum Egoiste draws a lot of compliments.

Black XS for the first hour then it dies.

Pure Malt for the long run...7-8 hours.

Black XS and Pure Malt.

Try samples of them all; see which 2 you like to wear the most.

I agree with others that you probably oughta sample before you buy, but the ones I'd go for are Pure Malt, Platinum Egoiste, and/or Givenchy Play Intense. But mostly Pure Malt.

I'd say Dior Homme Intense. Vanilla is easy to love by almost everyone. I could see The One getting a lot too, but longevity is spotty. The rest give me a headache, I couldn't stomach wearing them, especially Black XS which I find extremely cloying.

i wouldn't wear any of them except platinum egoiste but if getting compliments is the criteria, then DHI>>>>the one>play intense>l'eau d'issey>others
    Seasonal favorites :

Winter : The Dreamer & Burberry London
    Spring-Autumn : Bvlgari Pour Homme & Prada Man
    Summer : Bvlgari Aqva & Aqua Fahrenheit
    All-Rounders : Terre D'Hermes & Bleu de Chanel

wow dior homme is winning by a landslide lol. i'm gonna def have to check it out soon. i wore a sample of black xs today and i loved it but i literally could not smell it 2 hours later. i need something that lasts so i have to check out those other ones.. recommend more if you guys have suggestions. thanks

- - - Updated - - -

almost almost pulled the trigger on pure malt today... is it a safe blind buy? are there ppl that will find it offensive/nasty?

Hey im 24 years old btw.. From the list you've mentioned I already own Black Xs, Givenchy Play intense, DG The One, Platinum Egoiste, Leau Dissey..and all of them are compliment getters for sure..but from MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE and fragrance collection of 68 bottles ............

Givenchy Play Intense is my most complimented fragrance.. I feel like it doesn't get the hype it deserves, which is a good thing for me!.Its a gourmand..people will smell you when you walk by..and ladies will love you.. women compliment me all the time at grocery stores, work, hugs etc..Seriously , whenever i wear this I KNOW i will be receiving a compliment... projection and silage is excellent..this stuff last ALL DAY!!..the longer on your skin the better it smells..the dry down is very sexy!..its my panty dropper lol...works amazing in colder weather..

Paco Rabanne Black Xs: One of my favorites..smells like dark strawberries and some cinnamon in the dry down...ladies do enjoy this scent on me... but Givenchy Play intense still out shines this one far as compliments..Black xs is a close to skin scent..i only wear it when i know ill be CLOSE to women..lol..

Other ones that i've received alot of compliments on:

Rochas Man -- a stranger complimented me while out with her boyfriend..she told me i smell really good like Vanilla
    Ysl l'homme-- a compliment getter for sure!!..(both men and women comment my fragrance) ..this is a panty dropper too..ladies enjoy this...
    Nautica Voyage-- CHEAP but ladies at my job love this on me.
    Kenneth Reaction-- females love this..one female said its fruity and sexy
    A&F Fierce-- I hate the store..but im a customer for life as long as they sell this cologne..women really do adore this stuff..
    212 men-- another good compliment getter!!! leaves a good scent trail was my signature scent for a while..til my obsession with fragrances lol
    bath and body works (Green, Blue, Red Elixir) .and Noir shower, lotion, cologne GOT ME TONS OF COMPLIMENTS

Another vote for Dior Homme Intense and Black XS

Quote Originally Posted by burgundyaltima View Post
    Hey im 24 years old btw.. From the list you've mentioned I already own Black Xs, Givenchy Play intense, DG The One, Platinum Egoiste, Leau Dissey..and all of them are compliment getters for sure..but from MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE and fragrance collection of 68 bottles ............

Givenchy Play Intense is my most complimented fragrance.. I feel like it doesn't get the hype it deserves, which is a good thing for me!.Its a gourmand..people will smell you when you walk by..and ladies will love you.. women compliment me all the time at grocery stores, work, hugs etc..Seriously , whenever i wear this I KNOW i will be receiving a compliment... projection and silage is excellent..this stuff last ALL DAY!!..the longer on your skin the better it smells..the dry down is very sexy!..its my panty dropper lol...works amazing in colder weather..

Paco Rabanne Black Xs: One of my favorites..smells like dark strawberries and some cinnamon in the dry down...ladies do enjoy this scent on me... but Givenchy Play intense still out shines this one far as compliments..Black xs is a close to skin scent..i only wear it when i know ill be CLOSE to women..lol..

Other ones that i've received alot of compliments on:

Rochas Man -- a stranger complimented me while out with her boyfriend..she told me i smell really good like Vanilla
    Ysl l'homme-- a compliment getter for sure!!..(both men and women comment my fragrance) ..this is a panty dropper too..ladies enjoy this...
    Nautica Voyage-- CHEAP but ladies at my job love this on me.
    Kenneth Reaction-- females love this..one female said its fruity and sexy
    A&F Fierce-- I hate the store..but im a customer for life as long as they sell this cologne..women really do adore this stuff..
    212 men-- another good compliment getter!!! leaves a good scent trail was my signature scent for a while..til my obsession with fragrances lol
    bath and body works (Green, Blue, Red Elixir) .and Noir shower, lotion, cologne GOT ME TONS OF COMPLIMENTS
    haha 68 fragrances!!!?? wow that's crazzy. i'm only 20, do u think givenchy play intense would still suit me?

anyways, ya i'm taking everyone's suggestions and looks like i'll have to go try all these colognes. is the smell on the paper the same as the smell on ur skin? or should i just put one fragrance on each arm and try it like that?

I would choose Leau dissey,Platinum egoiste, and try out the original Givenchy Play I get complimented on that all the time its one of my favorites in my collection. Also, I woulyou ty these fragrances by getting a sample and wearing a full wearing instead of wrist spray that way you can get familiar with its full longevity and projection. Hoped this helps

Dhi

just went to sephora and sprayed most of them on a paper and some on my wrist..

Black xs - very sweet but i like it
    Pure malt - not available
    Dior homme intense - not available
    Givenchy intense - still on my wrist now, smells like coffee or chocolate... not sure if i like
    Dg the one - not available
    Platinum egoiste - smells good, then smells really alcoholic...
    Leau dissey - way too flowery for me

i did also try l'homme and libre. both of those smell amazing, i already have la nuit as well. i might get both of them tho

Quote Originally Posted by calilove View Post
    this
    Agree with pure malt and Dior homme intense

haha 68 fragrances!!!?? wow that's crazzy. i'm only 20, do u think givenchy play intense would still suit me?
    I think play intense is an awful gourmand, and the bottle is rank. If you can find it around try Casran by Chopard, which was recently discontinued, it's my personal favourite non-niche, non-exclusive gourmand and gets bonus points because it's getting harder and harder to find.

anyways, ya i'm taking everyone's suggestions and looks like i'll have to go try all these colognes. is the smell on the paper the same as the smell on ur skin? or should i just put one fragrance on each arm and try it like that?
    No. Fragrances can evolve at different rates on paper and last much longer. Your skin has oils and other factors which will interact with a scent, and this may change it substantially. As for putting some on each arm unless they're very tame you're likely to get some cross-contamination. It's a good way to get an idea, but in the end the only way to really get to know a fragrance is with a full wearing, and preferably in an environment where you can relax and analyse it without interference or distraction.

Dior Homme Intense
    Platinum Egoiste

Quote Originally Posted by mike_d9 View Post
    Dior Homme Intense
    Platinum Egoiste
    this

D&G The One. The lack of projection just causes that special someone to move in real close for a sniff. Win!

Banned

Since you like Black XS by Paco Rabanne and Platinum Egoiste by Chanel, get those.

&

Dior homme intense and Platinum egoiste

Dhi.

DHI then Pure Malt

I'd have to go with Platinum Egoiste 1st, as it's one of my wife's favorites on me. Personally, I wasn't "sold" on it my first couple wearings, but it quickly grew on me & gets complimented well. Pretty versatile frag, too.

In my opinion, I really love Pure Malt and Dior Homme Intense, and they also get me the most compliments. L'Eau D'Issey is also a really nice one and also gets me compliments as well.