Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Default Tribute Attar Amouage

Anyone have a less expensive alternative to this quality Fragrance?
    For Sale: VINTAGE Montales

Default Re: Tribute Attar Amouage

I sample 200 new scents a year, and haven't smelled anything remotely close. My advice is look for a split. 3ml is all you need. 12ml is way too much.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by thebeck View Post
    I sample 200 new scents a year, and haven't smelled anything remotely close. My advice is look for a split. 3ml is all you need. 12ml is way too much.
    That is exactly what I was thinking...I will keep looking. I have an Attar oil I got long ago, perhaps 4ml. I put a wand tip drop on when I wear it, and it lasts all day. That's my idea of Monster projection and longevity!!!

There was talk in this thread that the Salamah attar was like Tribute in a way but less complex. Check out the thread here:

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/291...mited-Edition)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    There was talk in this thread that the Salamah attar was like Tribute in a way but less complex. Check out the thread here:

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/291...mited-Edition)
    Salamah is actually not wearable to my nose, rather disgusting. Nothing like Tribute.

Salamah is actually not wearable to my nose
    When you state a fact Becks for me it's the same as if Moses had come down off the mountain with the ten commandments.lol........ Forget my post The Beck has spoken.lol

Blog Entries

I found an old thread on Crystal Flacon with Tribute for a reasonable price of $26/0.5ml...I PM'ed the guy but haven't heard back yet. Yea, Jack Hunter- I had heard that too, but am looking for the complexity of Tribute.

I will be buying 12ml when I hear better things about the newer batches.

Give Cuir by Mona di Orio a try. The top and heart notes remind me of Tribute.

Quote Originally Posted by Blak01 View Post
    I'm not so sure about those top and heart notes reminding you, but I am sure Cuir is a damn good leather scent

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    When you state a fact Becks for me it's the same as if Moses had come down off the mountain with the ten commandments.lol........ Forget my post The Beck has spoken.lol
    I wish I was stating facts, but sadly it's just my opinion. Thanks for having fun with me.

Blog Entries

Ahhh....Mona! She did magic with her fragrances. What a great loss.

I'm not so sure about those top and heart notes reminding you, but I am sure Cuir is a damn good leather scent
    It is. Almost bought a bottle, but decided to pass because of the not-so-special base.

As for the comparison, it's not identical, but it definitely reminded me of Tribute. Wasn't just because of the smokiness either.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Possum-Pie View Post
    Ahhh....Mona! She did magic with her fragrances. What a great loss.
    She really did. And yes, I agree, definitely a great loss.

It is. Almost bought a bottle, but decided to pass because of the not-so-special base.

As for the comparison, it's not identical, but it definitely reminded me of Tribute. Wasn't just because of the smokiness either.
    I believe you, your thoughts are valid to me.

Cheers.

Salamah is actually not wearable to my nose, rather disgusting. Nothing like Tribute.
    I have been amazed quite frankly at how Tribute unfolds and develops in warm weather. My God it is good . The past few nights in Nor Cal have been warm and a little humid. But I think Tribute is in its element this time of year. Wearing Tribute right now
    and loving it.
    Does anybody else think that fragrances coming from a certain geographical location have that area in mind for its develpment. Oman , the residence of Amouage, is certainly warm. I would think the overall fragrance design is inextricably linked to how it works in its own birthplace.

Quote Originally Posted by starshipvelcro View Post
    I will be buying 12ml when I hear better things about the newer batches.
    You'll be waiting a long time...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    I hadn't heard that the new batches were substandard...You're saying this From experience?

I hadn't heard that the new batches were substandard...You're saying this From experience?
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/306...tch-variations

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    well...then I guess I'll never get to try it

Blog Entries

I see 1 ml decants for sale on eBay --1 UK seller, 1 USA seller

Blog Entries

Yea, I had read that thread awhile back, but it almost seemed like someone mixed up boxes, or bottles or something. I am going to a niche shoppe saturday that sells Tribute and will test for myself. I liked the way the "Original" smelled, so we'll see...

Basenotes Plus

Kilian Rose Oud

As compared to the few luckyscent samples of Tribute Attar I've been dabbing over the last couple years... the closest reminder to me would be Tea for Two.
    Simplex Sigillum Veri

Anyone have a less expensive alternative to this quality Fragrance?
    I'm sorry mate, but that is an awfully wrong question.
    Never rate price-quality over quality.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by halomatic View Post
    I'm sorry mate, but that is an awfully wrong question.
    Never rate price-quality over quality.
    What I meant was, If I can't possibly afford to buy a bottle of Tribute, what alternatives are there that may not cost $350/12mls?

What I meant was, If I can't possibly afford to buy a bottle of Tribute, what alternatives are there that may not cost $350/12mls?
    As suggested above, it's possible to find smaller decants without having to pay the full bottle price.

As for batch variations - there's no way to tell what you are going to get, the box style and colour doesn't mean anything at all. There was awesome juice in the old style white boxes and some pretty flat version in the same type of boxes. You just have to either buy a decant from someone who has a good batch (and knows it) or you'll need to sample the attar from the very bottle you are about to buy (not likely, I know).

I was faced with the same dilemma a while ago and a friend who loved Tribute and bought several different batches suggested this solution (as posted on Fragrantica) :

Guys, im my search for good attars I went to arabic countries, including Oman. There I went to Amouage's factory. The truth is that Amouage produces its attars with varying quality. I am not sure why this is happening but they have some problems controlling quality of the end-product, probably because they have different inputs for each batch. I personally got my hands on 3 different qualities of the Tribute. Only one of them was as good as it was supposed to be. The other two batches had either too much tobacco or too much vetiver or too little rose etc in the final bouquet. So please try the bottle before you buy it, don't rely on the tester, try THAT VERY BOTTLE. The same problem is with other, originally excellent, attars - Al Mulook, Al Mas, Eidyya, Bard al Budur, Al Andaluz. The way to correct the Tribute that has too much tobacco is to add further 5-15% of Ajmal's rose oil - the spicy and zesty Kashmiri rose that they widely sell in their shops in the arabic countries (they also call it Ruh al Ward). After mixing wait for 2-3 months keeping the bottle in the dark cool cabinet. The result exceeded my expectations! Good luck.
    This method works well. I eventually found a perfect batch myself after having tried several all of which were "bad", so chances are it will be hard (or very impractical considering the cost of "looking") to find. If I were you I'd try posting on the BST a Wanted asking for the "good" Tribute, or use the method described above. If you can't find a Kashmiri rose, you can try with either Rose de Mai, Taif' or even Rosa Alba.

Blog Entries

I FINALLY had the opportunity to test the latest batch of Tribute and Homage over the weekend. They were from 0.25ml samples given to the Shoppe owner. She didn't have a box. The Tribute Opened with a very strong wood smoke note, the Frankincense was weak in this batch. Rose made an appearance, but the wood smoke was so powerful, that The other notes were overwhelmed. I am sorry for this reformulation, or poor quality control, because I wanted to buy the old formula which smelled much more of Frankincense.
    The Homage was a good quality warm oud with a fair quality rose. Instead of $350 for Homage, I would mix my own stash of oud oil into a dollop of rose lotion, and wear that.

Geez. I was really looking at getting Tribute for my next purchase from a shop in Toronto. I'm a little concerned now after reading these posts.
    Should I wait a few months??

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by joestargazer View Post
    Geez. I was really looking at getting Tribute for my next purchase from a shop in Toronto. I'm a little concerned now after reading these posts.
    Should I wait a few months??
    just be sure to try a sample from the actual bottle before you buy, there is variation out there.

Buying from international sources on ebay can be dicey. Some pretty shabby reviews on the quality of the these attars. Be careful and do some research on the vendors if you ever decide to go that route.

I, for one, believe that Salamah is a perfectly valid cheaper alternative.
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit

Quote Originally Posted by LloydLlewellyn View Post
    I, for one, believe that Salamah is a perfectly valid cheaper alternative.

That's interesting. I have to ask myself, why do I love Tribute and hate Salamah?

That's interesting. I have to ask myself, why do I love Tribute and hate Salamah?
    I haven't got a clue.

I haven't got a clue.
    I answered my own question. The two have nothing in common.

I answered my own question. The two have nothing in common.
    If you say so...
    Last edited by LloydLlewellyn; 12th September 2012 at 04:26 PM.

If you say so... After all, you are the resident expert whose opinion is indisputable and final.
    It just dawned on me, my bottle of Tribute was from the first batch ever made. Purchased on 11/17/2009. It was a blind buy for me. Maybe your right, some of the newer batches of Tribute may be more similar to Salamah. I've only experienced the original Tribute.
    Last edited by thebeck; 12th September 2012 at 04:37 PM.

Blog Entries

SNAGGED from STC newsletter, how timely:
    IFRA was the European Union's imposition of strict regulations on what raw materials could be used in perfume Many "Banned" ingredients used before IFRA cannot be used or not in the original quantity they were. SO some frags have changed. here is a list of controlled ingredients by IFRA:
    - Ambrette seed oil, Angelica root oil, Bakul absolute, Basil absolute, Basil oil (estragole CT), Basil oil (holy), Basil oil (linalool CT), Bay oil (West Indian), Bergamot leaf oil, Bergamot peel oil (distilled), Betel leaf oil, Birch tar oil, Black tea tree oil, Boldo leaf oil, Broom absolute, Cabreuva oil, Cade oil, Calamus oil, Cananga oil, Cangerana oil, Cardamon oil, Carnation absolute, Carrot seed oil, Cascarilla oil, Cassia oil, Cassie absolute, Cinnamon bark oil, Cinnamon leaf oil, Cistus oil, Citronella oil, Clary sage oil, Clove oil, Costus oil, Cumin oil, Davana oil, Elecampane oil, Elemi oil, Fenugreek oil, Fig leaf absolute, Galangal oil, Geranium oil, Ginger oil, Ginger lily absolute, Grapefruit peel oil, Ho leaf oil, Honey myrtle oil, Horseradish oil, Horsemint oil, Huon pine oil, Hyssop oil, Jasmine grandiflorum absolute, Jasmine sambac absolute, Karo karoundé absolute, Laurel leaf oil, Lemon balm oil (Australian), Lemongrass oil, Lemon basil oil, Lemon leaf oil, Lemon myrtle oil, Lemon tea tree oil, Lemon peel oils, Lemon thyme oil, Lemon verbena oil, Lemon verbena absolute, Lime peel oil (expressed), Lovage leaf oil, Mace oil, Mandarin leaf oil, Marjoram oil (sweet), Massoia bark oil, May chang oil, Melissa oil, Mustard oil, Myrtle oil, Narcissus absolute, Nasturtium absolute, Nutmeg oil, Oakmoss absolute, Opoponax oil, Orange blossom oil, Orange blossom absolute, Orange leaf oil, Orange peel oil (bitter), Orange peel oil (sweet), Oregano oil
    Palmarosa oil, Peppermint oil, Perilla oil, Peru balsam oil, Phoebe oil, Pimento berry oil, Pimento leaf oil, Pteronia oil, Rose absolute, Rose oil, Rue oil, Sandalwood oil, (Australian), Santolina oil, Sassafras oil, Savin oil, Savory oil (winter), Snakeroot oil, Spearmint oil, Spike lavender oil, Styrax oil, Sugandha oil, Taget oil, Taget absolute, Tarragon oil, Tea leaf absolute, Tejpat oil, Thyme oil (thymol CT), Tolu balsam extract, Treemoss absolute, Tuberose absolute, Vassoura oil, Violet leaf absolute, Wormseed oil, Ylang-ylang absolute, Ylang-ylang oils

Yea, I had read that thread awhile back, but it almost seemed like someone mixed up boxes, or bottles or something. I am going to a niche shoppe saturday that sells Tribute and will test for myself. I liked the way the "Original" smelled, so we'll see...
    Umm, I didn't mix up bottles. I assumed that different colored boxes of tribute indicated different batches because they did not smell similar at all... Then I checked the source of the newer weaker batch I purchased, and found out it was bought from the Amouage store in Oman. Not that hard to understand.

- - - Updated - - -

It just dawned on me, my bottle of Tribute was from the first batch ever made. Purchased on 11/17/2009. It was a blind buy for me. Maybe your right, some of the newer batches of Tribute may be more similar to Salamah. I've only experienced the original Tribute.
    The older tribute that I have smells nothing like Salamah whatsoever, while the newer one actually does almost seem like a richer version of Salamah. That's probably why you didn't see the resemblance Beck.
    Last edited by C2531; 12th September 2012 at 08:36 PM.