Code of Conduct

Default Slumberhouse SOVA

The mailman delivered Slumberhouse's Sova today. The bottle is the 50ml bottle (I think), but it contains translucent beads that allow the bottle to be used for 30ml of the fragrance.

The liquid in the bottle is a light tobacco or amber color - clear when sprayed onto skin. Initial take on this fragrance is a mix of hay, cut/shredded tobacco, and honey with a brief boozy whisky blast - very enjoyable.

The hay and tobacco quickly dominate morphing in about 20 minutes (on my skin) into what smells to me like immortelle flower - the tobacco and hay notes still perceptible.

(The mental image the scent conjures up is of a golden field, an outside space.)

A prickliness develops where the aromas seems to fluoresce in an olfactory way into a smooth blend which hints at the fragrance’s amber, vanilla, tobacco, hay, honey and cocoa components.

Underlying the scent is an aspect of a lightly caramelized sweetness (I’m thinking praline or dulce de leche, but not pronounced).

After two wearings I'm really liking this fragrance!

(Given that my interpretation of scent is sometimes so off-base from more experienced noses, I really look forward to hearing what other BN'ers have to say.)
    “interpretation is the revenge of the intellect upon art.” - Susan Sontag

Default Re: Slumberhouse SOVA

My sample arrived broken and empty, but the bag it came in smelled great! Josh is sending me another one for a proper test. From what I smell on the bag, the hay note is extremely realistic and I agree with the previous poster that there is probably some immortelle in there giving it a maple-like quality. My first reaction is that it smells like a barn, but a great smelling barn. I can't wait to be able to sample this one properly.

Basenotes Plus

the website shows it's already out of stock
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

Quote Originally Posted by knit at nite View Post
    the website shows it's already out of stock
    Wow. That was either a very small initial batch or people are really liking this one (or both).

Just an update:

Since my first post, I've worn Sova a few more times, and especially last night at a dinner party, it made me feel as if I was in a great golden field at sunset, smelling sweet open range.

In an email Josh said he made quite a bit of the fragrance and was surprised at how quickly people responded to it. He hopes to have a new cask available in a few weeks.

He also said he wanted Sova to have "an almost contemplative/meditative type atmosphere, something leaning masculine and solitary and reminding me of the rustic settings around the estates where my grandparents lived, Tilghman Island and Tunis Mills (or more specifically, Leeds Landing)."
    “interpretation is the revenge of the intellect upon art.” - Susan Sontag

Love the presentation of this. Unfortunately the scent smells similar to their recent experiments - Miel and Baque - boozy honeyed tobacco and hay.
    I haven't felt the true love of any Slumberhouse scents yet. I found Rume fascinating but I wouldn't wear it. Vikt comes closest - and although I gave my sample away, I've craved it for a while and may end up with a bottle.
    I love the new bottles, much more professional for the money they're asking.

So... does anyone that has smelled from the Tunis Mills samples and full bottle of Sova feel they are at all different?
    Simplex Sigillum Veri

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by forfreddie View Post
    Vikt comes closest - and although I gave my sample away, I've craved it for a while and may end up with a bottle.
    Vikt is my fav of the line so far with its beautiful deep oud-styrax-labdanum glow. Curious to try this now, thanks.

I agree with forfreddie that this is in Baque territory, but this one is heavier on the hay and more animalic. I would say it definitely leans masculine. I already own Baque, but this one is different enough that I plan to purchase it as well. I'm really enjoying this house. I've purchased three already (Jeke, Norne, and Baque) and it looks like Sova will probably be my fourth. I think I've said this on another thread, but this is the most excited I've been about a perfumer since I first discovered the work of another self-trained perfumer, Lorenzo Villoresi, years ago.

Is Sova comparable to Chergui?

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny Beast View Post
    It's not as sweet as Chergui. I really like Sova and enjoy wearing it and the longevity and projection are both great, but it doesn't smell like a conventional perfume to me; it smells like a place - a really nice smelling barn maybe.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

I really need to explore the Slumberhouse. I have read and heard so many positive reviews and the new wet forest fragrance, seems to be right up my alley. Can anyone recommend a place in the states where it is favorable to purchase slumberhouse fragrances?

Quote Originally Posted by senore01 View Post
    I really need to explore the Slumberhouse. I have read and heard so many positive reviews and the new wet forest fragrance, seems to be right up my alley. Can anyone recommend a place in the states where it is favorable to purchase slumberhouse fragrances?
    Parfum1, Indie Scents, and the Slumberhouse website. The only place that has Sova is the Slumberhouse website, though.

Basenotes Institution

This is the only Slumberhouse scent that I have given significant skin-time to (I have a sample set I got at the Vegas BN meetup but I have so many other samples I forget about them).

I'll tell you what, this stuff lasts WEEKS on fabric, I got some on my blazer I wear to the office and it has retained the scent for quite some time.

There is a sour, resinous syrup-like texture to this scent that conjures up a few olfactory memories: sniffing a jar of molasses when you unscrew the lid; hot sun on a field of barley or wheat; the way the hay absolute simultaneously smells sweet and sour; opening up an old wooden box that's been stored in a hot garage for years...etc.

I struggle for anything to compare this to...if I had to compare it in style to another perfume line it would be D.S. & Durga. Nonetheless, I am intrigued, I can't seem to let go of this scent, in my head. Look forward to smelling this again (maybe when it cools down again, it's been HOT in Miami lately) as well as exploring the other Slumberhouse samples.

And also, can I just say that I ***love*** the name Slumberhouse. It just feels cool to say. Sounds like the name of an indie rock band or some cool dive bar in a hip urban town.
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Sova is not an easy fragrance for sure, indeed i would speak about an almost unique fragrance in the worldwide olfactory panorama. Sova is an atmosphere more than a marketed fragrance itself , the mental status of those that escaped out of the abominable megalopolis. This is an arcane smell, the scent of the obscure barns of the northern lands, of the flour mills, the aroma of the spices stores, of the farms full of antique leatherwears, dry barks, drugs, booze, haystacks, seasoned and resinous woods, conserves, heavy stuffs, hops and hay. The beginning is shocking with its dry hay and the bitter tobacco- licorice-piquant spices (cardamom, pimento, nutmeg) accord. The piquancy along the first hour recedes a bit tamed down due the implementation of hints of balsams, honey , beeswax and resins. In this phase a minimal touch of mildness (may be fruity-dry fruits-, may be spicy or boozy) starts to emerge from the abysses of the obscure barns, turning out some leather and animalic facets, probably because of the castoreum, (i detect vaguely the salty/dirty odour emerging from the haystacks in this phase, a whiff smelling about animal, cords and hay). After 5-6 hours of development finally a touch (even minimal and nor without its licorice type of bitterness) of sheer balmy mildness comes out prevalently from the honey/vanilla/cocoa/amber accord in order to express out a more appealing olfactory charm. Extremely comforting, evocative and warm but out of time and just "ambiental". An extremely sophisticated work deliberately appointed with the aim to elicit a sort of raw and "ostensibly un-sophisticated" smell for excellence. Sova is the archetype of the symbolic "anti-fragrance" appointed for the misanthropes of the forest, anti-idols and men of the far lands.
    Last edited by Darvant; 7th February 2013 at 09:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Darvant View Post
    An extremely sophisticated work deliberately appointed with the aim to elicit a sort of raw and "ostensibly un-sophisticated" smell for excellence. Sova is the archetype of the symbolic "anti-fragrance" appointed for the misanthropes of the forest, anti-idols and men of the far lands.
    Yet another interesting-sounding (possibly a masterpiece) for me to try. The problem is that there are SO MANY wonderful fragrances out there and only so many hours in a lifetime to sample them. I guess you just have to take it one at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny Beast View Post
    funny you should ask - i made the connection immediately when i sample sova. chergui is simpler, a tad sweeter and perhaps more linear, but with greater hay presence. Sova seems to have a touch of clove (something of a slumberhouse signature!) and immortelle. i would say sova leans a lil more masculine. it's really good, with killer longevity & sillage (other s.h. traits). good stuff

I made a similar thread on this a month or so ago. This is one of my very favorite fragrances (if you're interested in my take: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/320...s-and-topic%29).

I bought a bottle of Sova when it first came out. I've tried it twice since. Once on a bathroom towel as it was night when I received the package and wanted to test the scent out. The towel had a scent for at least 6 days...not exaggerating. When I wore Sova myself I found there was something about it that didn't play well with me. I guess I have to keep trying it out before it gets too warm outside, because this stuff is thick and heavy...so much so I don't see how it draws any comparison to Chergui.

I think this is one of the few niche houses that is a winner all around. Can't wait to try everything.
    My 3 Signature Scents:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)

A sample just came my way last week. Sova is outstanding, and to my nose, the crown jewel of Slumberhouse.

Darvant has a nice description. Sova is absolutley the best day after scent I've ever come across. The day after you wear it is stunning. Intoxicating in every way. I'm retired and don't buy bottles anymore, but I found a $100.00 to buy a 30ml bottle. Just couldn't live without it.

After sampling I bought this and the (I hope newer) Jeke--each of the samples I found of very high quality, Sova was hands-down my favorite, and I couldn't resist it either. It is amazing in every way: it is unique, distinctive, lasts forever, projects perfectly without choking people out, and most importantly it smells really, really good.... love it, love this house.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by thebeck View Post
    A sample just came my way last week. Sova is outstanding, and to my nose, the crown jewel of Slumberhouse.

Darvant has a nice description. Sova is absolutley the best day after scent I've ever come across. The day after you wear it is stunning. Intoxicating in every way. I'm retired and don't buy bottles anymore, but I found a $100.00 to buy a 30ml bottle. Just couldn't live without it.
    Wow, that says a lot, I really respect your opinion.

I also found it the most captivating of all of them that I've tried. Well, they all are captivating, but Sova stayed on my mind longer. It wouldn't let go. I still can't wait to get some in my wardrobe (I finished my sample already).
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Wow, that says a lot, I really respect your opinion.

I also found it the most captivating of all of them that I've tried. Well, they all are captivating, but Sova stayed on my mind longer. It wouldn't let go. I still can't wait to get some in my wardrobe (I finished my sample already).
    He is telling the truth. It seriously gets better the longer it is on your skin. It gets smoother, a little sweeter, and just becomes the most lovely fragrance after 10 hours. You WILL get 24 hours out of this fragrance if you spray more than once, and I get pretty close with one spray. Not to mention the bottle is beautiful with the glass beads.