Code of Conduct
    Banned
    Blog Entries

Default Noirdrakkar vs. Bond no 9 Part 2: Bleecker St. , Riverside Drive, Hamptons, Little Italy, Chinatown

For those who don't know, I did a review on 6 Bond no 9. fragrances and my overall first impression of the house.

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/308...arlem-and-more

Of those fragrances, I only recommended two of them as worth purchasing (Wall Street and New Haarlem), but only for people with particular tastes. Chez Bond and Cooper Square I gave good marks, but had difficulty recommending it to buy due to the niche price. Coney Island and New York Oud, I felt that they aren't worth nearly as much as they charged.

Hamptons
    Rating: 7/10
    This has been compared to Silver Mountain Water, except it has more citrus. Hamptons smells like iced tea. I definitely smell a little bit of SMW, but I don't think at all, it is a replacement, as there are significant differences. First and foremost, Hamptons smells much cheaper in quality and it's harder to identify the ingredients. In SMW, the tea note is more subtle and in the background, where the blackcurrant (as well as other ingredients) give it the icy metallic mountain feel. Hamptons didn't remind me of that kind of atmosphere. The tea note in Hamptons is way over pronounced, and there is a lot of sweet citrus. Basically, spray some Silver Mountain Water in a bottle of Snapple, pour it on your skin and you get hamptons.

Recommendation: Stick with Silver Mountain Water (and I also hear Al-Rehab Silver is very similar). It's an overall decent fragrance, but not worth the niche price (which is probably what can be said about 80% of the Bond fragrances). Try it if you are curious, but I'm not urging you to.

Chinatown
    Rating: 7.5/10
    This is labeled as a unisex fragrance, but to me it is very feminine. Think of Cooper Square, but sweeter more powdery and more feminine. It is a very pleasant scent, but as a man, I wouldn't wear it. I hate to sound trite, but again, the price is just too high for this one, as there are plenty of sweet powdery fragrances out there. I've probably tried only 50 women's perfumes (not many), and this one would rank as slightly above average in my book, but there are still better options for women. It's sweet and powdery, not too much innovation here. Still, this is something I wouldn't mind a woman wearing at all. If price isn't an objection and you happen to like this one, go for it.

Recommendation: Let your wife or girlfriend sample this one.

Little Italy
    Rating: 6/10
    At first I thought Bond mislabeled this and actually sent me a sample of Coney Island, but I did detect the difference. Really, this is nothing original. It is just a blast of citrus, with no unique and surprising notes. On a niche line, at least some uniqueness and creativity is expected, which I didn't get here. Essentially, if you factor in the cilantro note on top of the citrus, this is Yves Saint Laurent's Live Jazz without the mint note, and I'd much rather have Live Jazz at $35 than Little Italy for $150-200.

Recommendation: Yawn. Don't bother here.

Riverside Drive
    Rating: 7.5/10
    I've seen this one compared to Abercrombie Fierce on fragrantica. I do notice some, just some, similarities, but not many. The basil note on this is way too strong to the point where basil dominates the fragrance otherwise, but the basil does settle down as it dries down. It's floral, aromatic, and a little woody, but largely green and herbal. If you can get over the excessive amount of basil (which sometimes you won't detect, but other times the basil just flares right back up again), this is actually a decent fragrance.

Recommendation: This is a Bond you should sample. You may really like it. You may not think it's special at all, but try it.

Bleecker Street
    Rating: 8/10
    This is, in my opinion, the best of the 5 samples I've tried, and one of my favorites in the house (behind Wall Street and New Haarlem). I've heard someone say this smells like fresh cut grass, and I'd agree with them. I've heard about this one having blueberry and grape notes, which I can't find yet, but I don't deny at all. This reminds me of an Aventus (but without the bergamot/pineapples, a little sweeter, and grassy). This is very unique. There is nothing out there that smells like this. It's versatile and wearable. In fact, this may very well be one of the safest bond fragrances you can wear.

Recommendation: Worth buying if you have the money. Definitely sample this one.

Default Re: Noirdrakkar vs. Bond no 9 Part 2: Bleecker St. , Riverside Drive, Hamptons, Little Italy, Chinat

I really wanted to like Bleecker Street, and did find it ok after a couple of hours...but, the first 1-2 hours, instead of a fresh cut grass smell, I got a spoiled-in-the-sun dead grass and "old lady" smell on my skin. Very chemical in nature and off-putting. Once that wore off I found it to be pretty pleasant, and could faintly pick up the sweeter blueberry scent others have referred to. Still hard to get past how it reacted on my skin that first hour or two, though.

I've actually found Riverside Drive to be the most to my liking so far. I actually don't get nearly as much basil as you and others have referred to. Instead, on my skin, the pineapple, rose, patchouli, woods and oakmoss stand out, blend extremely well, creating a very pleasant, unique and masculine aroma. It is VERY strong stuff on me, however, so 1, max 2 sprays is all I need to do the trick for the day. Any more and it can easily get cloying. It lasts and projects a very long time on me. Definitely my favorite bond so far, with New Haarlem second. I Love New York for Father's is kind of a sleeper, too. Not extremely unique or complex, but smells nice, and my wife and I both like it on me quite a bit.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Noirdrakkar vs. Bond no 9 Part 2: Bleecker St. , Riverside Drive, Hamptons, Little Italy, Chinat

i haven't gotten ANY pineapple from riverside drive. and that's ironic because that's one of the main notes listed.

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post
    i haven't gotten ANY pineapple from riverside drive. and that's ironic because that's one of the main notes listed.
    Yeah, it doesn't sound like many people do. I definitely do, however, and that's been from 2 different samples and another decant I have. I think it's one of the things that makes me enjoy it so much...that and the oakmoss just works really well in this frag IMO.

Bleecker Street is the only bottle I have from this house, and it may well stay that way. Quality juice, though.

You can't say that nothing else smells like Bleecker St. when Bleecker is one of the few Bonds that could (almost) legitimately be called a rip-off. A rip-off of what? Ralph Lauren's Purple Label. They are VERY similar. Regardless though, I like the Bond better as it is less synthetic and deeper, with a more pronounced herbal element thanks to the nice thyme in the opening.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Banned
    Blog Entries

I never tried purple label nor heard of it but ill take your word for it.

But yea bleecker is one of the very few bonds worth owning.

Riverside Drive is the only one of the many I've tried from this house that I would consider buying for another person as a gift.

Banned
    Blog Entries

hednic im curious how you apply it on your skin?

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post
    I never tried purple label nor heard of it but ill take your word for it.

But yea bleecker is one of the very few bonds worth owning.
    Bleecker St. does smell a lot like RL Purple Label, but it's better quality, projects better,and lasts longer. Plus the last time I checked Purple Label was selling for $90 a bottle, so your still paying for the Bond name, but the alternative isn't cheap. Nice review on it. Another positive is it garners quite a few compliments.

I have to agree, out of the bonds that I have tried Bleeker was the only one really worth purchasing for me.
    The hunt for a Signature Fragrance is not an easy one! I see the light at the end of the tunnel! Edit: 2015... I've given up and given in
    Want to buy or swap: A*men Ultra Zest, Bentley Intense, Mont Blanc Legend Intense, Paco Rabanne Invictus,

Banned
    Blog Entries

yeah silent rich, of all the bond scents, bleecker is one of the very few that has general appeal rather than requiring very bizarre specific tastes to enjoy.

The basil or something in Riverside Drive turned me off...and an older dated vibe to it.

I like but don't love Bleecker St (own it, but rarely wear it....my wife likes it though....but I don't want to smell like freshly cut grass)

I liked Chinatown a lot as a scent but not for me. Very feminine.

Banned
    Blog Entries

yes, thats the same way i feel about chinatown.

bleecker street is something i like as well, but as you said i don't love it.

i mean for $150, i could get almost any Creed fragrance, as well as almost everything else on my wishlist. so itll probably be a long time before i buy bleecker

I did purchase washington square and like it. Maybe better for fall/winter. Has a suede thing going on that I find nice.

I didn't feel any of the ones listed are all that great. I agree with Bleecker Street being the best but, not something I would have a full bottle of.

Eau De New York
    New York Oud
    New York Amber
    Montauk
    Silver Factory

These are the best of Bond No 9 IMO.