Code of Conduct

Question Decisions, decisions: Dzing! or Jeux de Peau?

It's time to update my fall/winter fragrance collection, and as I have a 10% off coupon it looks as though it's going to be between Dzing! and Jeux de Peau. I like them both very much, for different reasons, but my budget dictates that I can only purchase one of them at this time. So...which would you choose? I normally gravitate to smell-you-from-10-feet-away fragrances with big sillage, but I've really enjoyed my samples of both of these and even though I don't find that either of them really fit that bill, they are very comforting scents which seem perfect for sweater weather. Besides, I just repurchased Poison, so that may be enough to get my 'loudness' fix. What say you?

Default Re: Decisions, decisions: Dzing! or Jeux de Peau?

Jeux de Peau.

sorry but Dzing just smells like cardboard and sawdust on me.
    DONNA

Welcome to Basenotes.

Both these gross me out for different reasons. Dzing! smells of a none too clean elephant house on me and JdP of sweetened curry, heavy on the sweaty cumin.

Which just proves each individual should choose for themselves. Go with the one you prefer or you think you'll get most wear from.

Good choice on Poison did you manage to pick up some vintage 80s juice?

They're so different.

I prefer Dzing!

JdP smelled a bit weird and I like weird perfumes.

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by Alityke View Post
    Welcome to Basenotes.

Both these gross me out for different reasons. Dzing! smells of a none too clean elephant house on me and JdP of sweetened curry, heavy on the sweaty cumin.

Which just proves each individual should choose for themselves. Go with the one you prefer or you think you'll get most wear from.

Good choice on Poison did you manage to pick up some vintage 80s juice?
    Thank you, everyone, for your responses! I realize that these two scents are rather, uh, polarizing--it's probably a good thing I seem to be the only one who can smell them when I have them on!--so I appreciate your candidness. On me, Dzing! smells like caramel corn in a library (not such a bad thing!) and Jeux de Peau is...well, all kinds of delicious, like butter and that glaze on sticky buns but it somehow manages not to be too sweet. So yes, they are very different and that's why it's hard to choose! They are both such a departure from the types of fragrances I normally wear (Angel, Alien, Jean Paul Gaultier Classique, Poison, Prada EDP).

No, I didn't score any vintage '80s Poison this time, but that's all right. To me, the current formulation doesn't smell much different than the old version--although, granted, I haven't actually smelled any of the old since back in the day. My dad's girlfriend wore it in the late '80s and for about 10 years I had less than fond memories of it. It's one of my faves now, though, and if I ever run across any vintage I will certainly give it a sniff!

Whilst Luca Turin said the current Poison was an improvement on the original, he is wrong. The vintage is by far the superior being.

Have you thought of Hypnotic Poison as your winter warmer? Not in the least like her bitchy older sibling but all sorts of vanilla/almond gorgeousness. The perfect snuggle jumper scent

Dzing smells very animalc-dirty to me, and I own it. JdP is a strikingly realistic gourmand, and I may eventually get one. Between the two I would chose Dzing, but JdP is great too. I haven't tried side by side, but suspect JdP is more intense and long lasting.

cacio

I actually am wearing a sample of JdP today. Can't say I'm too excited about it on me. Actually makes my nose kind of twitch, and is very much just a skin scent. I had to layer it with Un Bois Vanille to make it a little more to my liking-LOL. Don't really care for Dzing either, so can't really vote for either one. Just go with the one that calls to you the most!

Welcome!

I favor Dzing - light candy-leather with a fun skanky twist. I really want to own this.

Jeaux de Peau was like wearing Nutella on me. Not pleasant! It is, however, undoubtedly a powerhouse scent.

None of the two. Perhaps, Timbuktu from the same house?

Dzing makes me smile.

I have worn Jeux de Peau a few times but suspect that like some other Lutens the charm may wear off whereas Dzing actually grows on me over time. Purely personal take on it, of course.

If you like Jeux de Peau you might also like Lys Soleia (Guerlain) and perhaps Immortelle de Corse (l'Occitane).

I have so enjoyed this conversation and reading everyone's take on both Dzing! and Jeux de Peau. I wore the last of my Dzing! sample a couple days ago and fell even more in love with it (finally, a fragrance that won't bother me on days when I have a headache!), so I had almost decided to go with that one until the next morning when I thought I'd better dab on a little JdeP purely for the sake of fairness. All through brunch I kept getting whiffs of that gorgeous nutty glazy scent, which was perfect on such a drizzly day and I was back to debating again. So in the end I just decided that it was impossible to choose between them so instead of purchasing one new fragrance and the pair of shoes I'd planned to buy for fall, I'm probably just going to get both fragrances and forget the shoes. There, that's settled!

Quote Originally Posted by Alityke View Post
    Whilst Luca Turin said the current Poison was an improvement on the original, he is wrong. The vintage is by far the superior being.

Have you thought of Hypnotic Poison as your winter warmer? Not in the least like her bitchy older sibling but all sorts of vanilla/almond gorgeousness. The perfect snuggle jumper scent
    Although Luca Turin and I *generally* agree, we don't always see eye-to-eye. Where does he review the new vs. the old formulation? I only have his original book on perfumes and I'd be interested to read what he has to say about it.

It's funny you should mention Hynotic Poison, because when I was cleaning out some old boxes recently I found a mini of it from about 2001. I don't believe I had ever used it so I put some on to see if it was still good, and it smelled quite nice (if a bit dirty/musty) for a few hours until a vaguely unpleasant aroma started elbowing its way in. It sort of reminded me of dirty gym clothes and got progressively worse until I couldn't wait to get in the shower. So that little bottle may well have turned because I can't imagine that that's really what it smells like! Just to satisfy my curiosity I'm going to try some from a tester next time I'm at the mall.

Between the two..I would have to go with Dzing. But looks like you will get both. Neither scent was of my liking but glad you found some loves!
    $25 or less clearance sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/390...othing-over-25!!

"For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us." Rom. 8:18

Quote Originally Posted by kalli View Post
    Between the two..I would have to go with Dzing. But looks like you will get both. Neither scent was of my liking but glad you found some loves!
    Thank you! With exception of a repurchase a few weeks ago, I haven't bought any new fragrances in several years--and those were refills of ones I already had as well--so I thought it would be a good time to branch out a bit since I've been rotating mostly the same 6 or 7 scents for ages. Sadly, my local Sephora seems to be gradually cutting down on their fragrance selection, but that ended up being a good thing as I discovered all the places to find samples online!

JdP was unbearable on me. The mix of osmanthus and immortelle was killer. Cloying to death...

Dzing!, on The other hand is pure genius.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

I thought Turin's comment was in The Guide but could easily be from elsewhere

I kinda liked the dry down a bit on Dzing..from what I remember there was almost a Malle Musc Rav thing goin on. I didn't dislike Dzing..I just didn't like it enough to own a bottle. It's an interesting scent for sure..with a lot of different things going on with it..I do like that aspect. JDP..didn't do well on me at all either.
    $25 or less clearance sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/390...othing-over-25!!

"For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us." Rom. 8:18