Code of Conduct

Thread: SL experience

Default SL experience

Does anyone else like the unpopular scents from Serge Lutens better than the big names? I can't decide which I like more between Datura Noir, Tubereuse Criminelle, Borneo 1834, and Vetiver Oriental. Ambre Sultan is great, but there are so many other great ambers to try. Chergui, Arabie, Fille en Aiguilles, Fumerie Turque, and MKK just weren't my cup of tea. There were a few more that were pleasant enough, I just couldn't justify the price tag comparing to other bottles.
    Last edited by Stew; 8th September 2012 at 03:36 PM.

Default Re: SL experience

I have liked all the Lutens I've tried thus far, some more than others.

I like most of the SF things as well. Among their classics, they are all make a pretty strong statement, so I think it just has to do with what you think you would actually wear.

LOL, even among the unwearables, there are those I love.

Bois Oriental, Fourreau Noir and El Attarine are three incredibly overlooked fragrances from this house

Nonthaburi (a suburban province located immediately to the north of Bangkok)
    Blog Entries

I love my SL, so unique, but some are so weird to the point that it is unwearable for me.
    ***My favourite from my collection***

-------- Amouage Tribute Attar
    ------ Serge Lutens: Ambre Sultan
    -------- Les Exclusifs de Chanel: Sycamore
    ------ Amouage: Fate Man
    -------- Amouage: Epic Man
    ------ Tom Ford Private Blend: Noir de Noir
    -------- Terre D'Hermès Pure Parfum
    ------ EDP FM: Carnal Flower
    -------- Neela Vermire Creations: Trayee
    ------ Dior: Leather Oud
    ------- Hermèssence: Ambre Narguilé

Usually, the most popular are the "easiest" to like. This doesn't mean they're the best though...One of my favorites Lutens is Chene, which generally doesn't get much attention.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

If I'm reading the OP's original comment correctly, I have never considered Borneo 1834 to be one of SL's unpopular offerings.

I'm not sure either what unpopular means when speaking of SL - at least here on BN - I'd say that for all SL scents, there will be many people here who like them. Though it's true that some get mentioned more than others (Ambre Sultan, Chergui primarily). Among the ones you mention, my fave is Tubereuse Criminelle.

cacio

Muscs Koublai Khan is very popular, yet a love-it-or-hate-it scent.
    There's a cheap one in auction now...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Serge-Lutens...06%26rk%3D2%26

Quote Originally Posted by cologne connoisseur View Post
    If I'm reading the OP's original comment correctly, I have never considered Borneo 1834 to be one of SL's unpopular offerings.
    It's mentioned on here some, but it seemed as though Ambre Sultan, Chergui, MKK, and a couple more were praised a lot more.
    When a new basenoter reads that Chergui or whatever is great, that will most likely be the one they sample from the house. They will continue the praise not knowing of some they are missing out on, and the cycle repeats itself.

Serge Lutens is overrated IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Suppressor View Post
    Serge Lutens is overrated IMO.
    I think SL deserves every ounce of praise it receives. I can't think of a more accomplished house.

Quote Originally Posted by lm6 View Post
    I think SL deserves every ounce of praise it receives. I can't think of a more accomplished house.
    I tested Chergui, Ambre Sultan and MKK.
    I don't find them to be high quality. I'm expecting something more for that price.
    I love the opening of Chergui but the drydown is so sweet... I can't stand it.
    Chergui is not the only Serge Lutens which suffers from an overly sweet drydown.
    I find those 3 to be unwearable and quite synthetic.
    They don't have a sample service like Andy Tauer, Maison Francis Kurkdjian or Amouage.
    Those wax samples are highly pretentious imo.
    Not to mention that most of his other offerings are unwearable.

Finally got to sample some SL on a recent visit to Dallas and loved both Cedre and Five O'clock Au Gingembre on paper. Brought samples home and tried them and they are both hyper-sweet on my skin. I ordered samples of Chergui and MKK yesterday and look forward to trying them as well. So far I am very impressed with their fragrances and will be even more so when I find one that works on my skin.

Quote Originally Posted by Suppressor View Post
    I tested Chergui, Ambre Sultan and MKK.
    I don't find them to be high quality. I'm expecting something more for that price.
    I love the opening of Chergui but the drydown is so sweet... I can't stand it.
    Chergui is not the only Serge Lutens which suffers from an overly sweet drydown.
    I find those 3 to be unwearable and quite synthetic.
    They don't have a sample service like Andy Tauer, Maison Francis Kurkdjian or Amouage.
    Those wax samples are highly pretentious imo.
    Not to mention that most of his other offerings are unwearable.
    I hear you. I recently sold my newest bottle of Chergui as it's been reformulated into something I simply do not enjoy. I never found MKK or Ambre Sultan to be worth the amount of praise they receive, so in that respect I actually do agree with you.

My opinion is that the true genius of this line lays in fragrances like FeA, Fumerie Turque, Serge Noire, Chypre Rouge, Fourreau Noir, Santal de Mysore, El Attarine, etc.

To me this house specializes in heavy, dark, sweet orientals (approximately), if this is not your style then SL probably won't offer much in terms of wearability. The creations are definitely unique and love-it-or-hate-it so I can understand why some folks wouldn't take to this line but I find that I can appreciate virtually all their releases. There is a quality to them that radiates top notch quality and craftsmanship (reformulations aside).

I do like their style even when i do hate the fragrance (Ambre Sultan and Cuir Mauresque)

I find them unwearable in real world settings.

Quote Originally Posted by cameron View Post
    I find them unwearable in real world settings.
    I don't understand this comment. I'm wearing Ambre Sultan right now.

Quote Originally Posted by racuda View Post
    I don't understand this comment. I'm wearing Ambre Sultan right now.
    I'd imagine some folks' "real world settings" are more tame/rigid than others. I've never had a problem wearing them, I even went through a SL phase where I was wearing SL exclusively for almost 1.5 years nonstop, had many compliments in that time frame as well. But that's my own personal real world experience.

Well check it out: turns out we all have different tastes. Who'd have thought?

I have several of them and really enjoy wearing them in a variety of real-life situations. For a house with so many different scents, they have an impressive number of winners (in my opinion, anyhow).

I do love some of the lesser-knowns and upopulars.

Bas de Soie - fierce metallic iris-hyacinth.

Rousse - delicious cinnamon-iris concoction.

Douce Amere - glorious chilled sweet gourmand.

Fourreau Noir - refined gourmand lavender.

Vetiver Oriental - polished vetiver iris hay accord.

Mandarine Mandarin - strange "flattened" citrus accord.

Rose de Nuit - last great outpost of the dark rose chypre.

I also love some of the more popular ones ( Fille, TC - even the recent juice, Arabie ) to which I do feel Borneo belongs ( many fans around here ).

Quote Originally Posted by Stew View Post
    Does anyone else like the unpopular scents from Serge Lutens better than the big names? I can't decide which I like more between Datura Noir, Tubereuse Criminelle, Borneo 1834, and Vetiver Oriental. Ambre Sultan is great, but there are so many other great ambers to try. Chergui, Arabie, Fille en Aiguilles, Fumerie Turque, and MKK just weren't my cup of tea. There were a few more that were pleasant enough, I just couldn't justify the price tag comparing to other bottles.
    I don't have any "big name" Serge Lutens. I like the house and creations so much that they're all "fair game" to me.

Coincidentally I really really like Datura Noir. Its one of my mother's favorites.

Regarding the remaining three, Tuber. Crim. and B1834 and VO. I consider these corner stones in his creations.

Each represents a different motif (medley of notes). The medicinal tuberose in TC, the patchouli and cocoa (not too gourmand) in b1834 and the resins in VO.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    Usually, the most popular are the "easiest" to like. This doesn't mean they're the best though...
    Strongly agree with this statement.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sugandaraja View Post

Rose de Nuit - last great outpost of the dark rose chypre.
    Nice assessment!

for swap/sale:

I like Vetiver Oriental but suspect that isn't much talked about because it isn't widely available. Another one I like which hasn't received the BN seal of approval is (whispers) L'Eau Froide. Those who find many Lutens difficult to wear should try this citric incense.

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    ...One of my favorites Lutens is Chene, which generally doesn't get much attention.
    In fact my favourite. But I like many of the line very much. I would have thought Borneo was easily likeable.

Well, Sugandaraja is picking two of my absolute favorites that are not widely appreciated: Rose de Nuit and Fourreau Noir. For me the quality has always been among the bell jar exclusive line-up. What really bothers me is that the last great perfume was Fourreau Noir in my book and everything since then was mediocre or okay at best.

Quote Originally Posted by Marais View Post
    I like Vetiver Oriental but suspect that isn't much talked about because it isn't widely available. Another one I like which hasn't received the BN seal of approval is (whispers) L'Eau Froide. Those who find many Lutens difficult to wear should try this citric incense.
    I love both Vetiver Oriental and L'Eau Froide. While the latter is not as unique and complex as the former, its still lives up to the story behind it.

for swap/sale: