Code of Conduct

Default Help with tuberose and orange blossom fragrance

Hello everyone!

I adore FM Carnal Flower & SL Fleurs d'Oranger and am looking for other fragrances centered around tuberose and/or orange blossom. So far I have tried:
    -Noix de Tubereuse from Miller Harris (did not like this one. made me think of skin care products. Synthetic and "perfumy". )
    -Orange blossom by Penhaligon's (did not like this either. also somewhat synthetic, as well as medicinal and again more like a scent I associate with generic skin care scents).
    - La Chasse Aux Papillon by LP (lovely but a bit too light and pretty. Doesn't last very long on me).
    - Fracas: beautiful, but I find it too heavy, sweet and dense...and simply not me.

Based on these likes and dislikes, what should I try next? Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Sent from my HTC One X
    Last edited by Plaisir; 8th September 2012 at 02:04 PM.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Help with tuberose and orange blossom fragrance

I haven't smelled it yet, but the brand-new Houbigant Orangers en Fleur has both orange blossom and tuberose listed as notes.

edit:
    It also lists nutmeg as a note.
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 8th September 2012 at 08:18 PM. Reason: typo

You have more to explore in the SL line, especially:

Tubéreuse criminelle : let the head notes calm a little and you 'll discover a beautiful orange blossom / jasmine / tuberose floral + a good dose of eugenol in the base (clove oil), it brings a "cold / medicinal" aspect. Ppl told me i smelled good the orange blossom when i wore this....

Un Lys : a rendition of the white lily, it's a superposition between 2 textures : the green / spring bud / aquatic start and the jasmine / tuberose / creamy and silky vanilla base.

Also try Sarrasins : indolic jasmine, carnation, animalic base

Blog Entries

Cartier Panthére-recently discontinued, is a beautiful tuberose and maybe also, orange blossom, I'll have to check. It's sublime in the parfum. You might try Indiana Tubereuse by Creed, also.

- - - Updated - - -

Cartier Panthére-recently discontinued;

Panthere de Cartier
    • Sparkling top notes of grapefruit, mandarin, and orange blossom.
    • Spicy floral middle notes of tuberose, jasmine, gardenia, and freesia.
    • Oriental sandalwood base notes with a mix of tonka bean and labdanum.
    • In a faceted bottle with panther topper.
    Last edited by kumquat; 8th September 2012 at 02:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    I haven't smelled it yet, but the brand-new Houbigant Orangers en Fleur has both orange blossom and tuberose listed as notes.
    Oh, I MUST find some of that to sniff!

For tuberose, +1 Tubereuse Criminelle, striking, angular, highlighting the camphoraceous aspect of tuberose. If you get the chance to sniff, $$$$ JAR Eclair (also referred to as Bolt of Lightning), an enormous tuberose, sort of a supercharged Carnal flower.

For orange blossom, there's a $$$ special edition for l'Artisan Parfumeur, fleur d'oranger, supposedly composed of the extract froma single orchard in Tunisia etc etc, which is indeed lovely. Also, some vintage Caron come to mind, which started with orange blossom then went elsewhere (eg. En Avion, Narcisse Noir), but the current edts are unworthy (there are debates about the parfum).

cacio

APOM pour homme by Maison Francis Kurkdjian. It's a wonderfully elegant orange blossom centric fragrance, surprisingly unisex.

+ 1 on both Tubereuse Criminelle and Eclair. For orange blossom, you might want to give a chance to Xerjoff Kobe. I'm not big on the latter but it's definitely an high quality composition....

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

I'll also chime in with Tubereuse 3 Animale by Histoires De Parfums for a lovely, spicy, boozy, leathery take on tuberose

I love both tuberose and orange blossom. Here are some of my top picks for both notes, given what you liked:

TUBEROSE

Parfums DelRae Amoureuse - green, vibrant tuberose.

Serge Lutens Tubereuse Criminelle - chilly, thick, fleshy tuberose.

Mona di Orio Tubereuse - introspective, vetiver-tinged tuberose.

ORANGE BLOSSOM

Vero Profumo Rubj - bold, intense orange blossom. ( I recommend the EdP over the parfum. )

Sonoma Scent Studio Jour Ensoleille - thick, buttery orange blossom.

Serge Lutens Mandarine Mandarin - essentially Fleurs d'Oranger with more interesting citrus-oriental elements.

As an aside, I'd definitely keep an eye out for trying these:

Comme des Garcons Champaca - gorgeous refined narcissus-champaca note.

Tom Ford Lys Fume - big, authentic lily fragrance. ( Also, plus one for the Lutens Un Lys, a very different; softer thing. )

Frederic Malle En Passant - dewy, very authentic lilac.

Tubereuse:
    L'Artisan Nuit de Tubereuse.
    Big second vote for Mona di Orio's Tubereuse.
    Histoire des Parfums: all three Tubereuse scents are worth a sniff.

Orange blossom:
    TF Neroli Portofino is a nice citrus cologne with orange blossom.

Thank you everyone for all the suggestions!! I will definitely add them to my to-sample list.

What about By Kilian Beyond Love and Sweet Redemption or Amouage Honour Woman - might these be good choices for me? Same question with regard to Tuberose Couture (I am worried this might be too sweet...).

Quote Originally Posted by Plaisir View Post
    What about By Kilian Beyond Love and Sweet Redemption or Amouage Honour Woman - might these be good choices for me? Same question with regard to Tuberose Couture (I am worried this might be too sweet...).
    I did not detect tubereuse in Beyond Love and Sweet Redemption (that said: I am quite poor at discerning individual notes). They are on the sweet side and by no means soliflores such as your favourites and all the suggestions above. Honour Woman did not captivate me, I found it to be quite a forgettable light floral. I am not familiar with Tubereuse Couture.

I have heard good things about MPG Tubereuse but haven't tried it myself.

Beyond Love is a stupendous tuberose -- couldn't believe it hadn't been mentioned. Santa Maria Novella have a lovely version also -- not sure of the name though.
    There are so many orange blossoms -- would recommend APOM by Kurdjikan also. For a cheaper alternative, I really like Dilmun by Villoresi.

Yes the Santa Maria Novella is called Tuberosa. I always forget it but i own a fond of bottle and it's a really sympathic perfume, oily and light tuberose.

Also the PG Tubéreuse couture, it's classicaly feminine and sweet, a little bit cloying for me but it has quality tuberose too.

Apom
    Vamp
    the new Houbigant
    the new Heeley Bubblegum

Carolina Herrera, 273 Rodeo Drive, Michael Kors

I second Nuit de Tuberose and would also like to add Estee Lauder's Private collection Tuberose Gardenia.

Thank you everyone for all the suggestions!! I will definitely add them to my to-sample list.

Beyond Love is great, but is definitely in the Fracas family of tuberose scents. Honor Woman I found horribly tinny and synthetic, but your mileage may vary ( many respected Basenoters love it ).

Tubereuse Couture is very sweet, but it is transparent and rather fresh: it's not a Fracas- or Poison-esque tuberose bomb. I think it's absolutely worth sampling given what you're seeking.

"My" tuberose: Honoré des Près Vamp à NY- velvety, boozy, funny
    "My" orange blossoms: L'Artisan Séville à l'aube- vibrant, sensual yet fresh

Another tuberose I've come across, not yet mentioned: Blu by Bruno Acampora (on the same wave lenght of Tuberose Criminelle!); another orange blossoms: ELDO Divin'enfant (curious orange blossoms- coffee- leather accord).
    "Your fragrance with a fume of iodine" L. Cohen

Thanks for all the additional suggestions! It is also good to hear the less enthusiastic thoughts on Amouage Honour Woman.

I have now tried LP Nuit de Tubereuse and unfortunately this is not something that works for me. Spraying on a paper strip I thought the scent intriguing, but on my skin it was nauseating after a while. Rather than an interesting tuberose with green and spicy notes this made me think of sickly sweet candy and bubblegum with a partly obscured tuberose in the middle of the synthetic sweetness. I can imagine it might work and be great on somebody else but this was quite horrible on me, to the point where I couldn't wear CF the next day simply because I had to rest from anything reminding me of tuberose. So I ended up wearing the fantastic and soothing Une Fleur de Cassie and am now restored and ready to continue exploring the world of tuberose
    Last edited by Plaisir; 11th September 2012 at 01:30 PM.

I'm sorry about your bad experience with Nuit de Tubereuse, Plaisir. I find it quite similar to CF, though I prefer CF. I always percieved it as quite sheer and transparent. Strange that you found it sickly sweet. But well, that's part of the game, scent impressions can differ widely. I hope you'll have more luck with the other recommendations.

Quote Originally Posted by bonsai View Post
    I'm sorry about your bad experience with Nuit de Tubereuse, Plaisir. I find it quite similar to CF, though I prefer CF. I always percieved it as quite sheer and transparent. Strange that you found it sickly sweet. But well, that's part of the game, scent impressions can differ widely. I hope you'll have more luck with the other recommendations.
    No worries-I am glad that I tried it! And it is fascinating how differently we sometimes perceive scents, due to body chemistry as well as personal preferences and scent associations. But perhaps the scent had somehow gone bad? Either way it is only by trying that one learns both about scents and about ones own preferences as well as how perceptions change over time.
    Last edited by Plaisir; 11th September 2012 at 07:46 PM.

Having now read several reviews of Rubj I am very keen to try it. Does anyone here know if it is possible to order a sample of only Rubi either from VP or elsewhere? Vero Profumo's webhop lists a sample set of three fragrances, but I am only interested in Rubj.

Blog Entries

Having now read several reviews of Rubj I am very keen to try it. Does anyone here know if it is possible to order a sample of only Rubi either from VP or elsewhere? Vero Profumo's webhop lists a sample set of three fragrances, but I am only interested in Rubj.
    http://theperfumedcourt.com/Products...ERORUBJpg.aspx
    Here's a sample

My vote for tuberose is Mona di Orio's Tubereuse, it reminds me of Rubj a lot even though it doesn't have orange blossom in it, but I like Mona's Tubereuse better.

I have a decant of the new Houbigant orange blossom scent and while pleasant it isn't anything I'd choose over L'Artisan's Fleur d'Oranger or even Luten's. I know there is nutmeg in this one but I couldn't identify it as such, and I use a lot of nutmeg in baking. My pick for top orange blossom would be the new L'Artisan Seville l'Aube, it is fabulous!

Kumkwat: thanks for the link! Had hoped it might be available in Europe though....

Jubal: I am definitely going to try Mona Di Orio's tuberose - it seems to get only love and great reviews and does sound wonderful. I wanted to try Rubj because I am also looking for another beautiful orange blossom scent as per my initial post. I love Serge Lutens Fleur d' Oranger and have tried only one other orange blossom scent (Penhaligons - not what I was looking for). I have added LA Seville L' Aube to my list - this too sems to get almost nothing but positive reviews and sounds lovely.
    Last edited by Plaisir; 12th September 2012 at 11:25 AM.