Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 24 of 24

Thread: Dental Hygeine

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    4,476
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Dental Hygeine

    This is something I have been paying a lot of attention to lately.

    IMO, I find that it doesn't matter what kind of toothpaste you use, though I like Colgate and Crest (both with 'whitening effects')

    I don't think the toothbrush matters either, I've had a good results from both electric and disposable.

    I've been using mouthwash more frequently. In fact, it's the very first thing I do when I wake up.

    I floss almost every day. I recommend you buy the unwaxed floss because the waxed floss is too soft to scratch the plaque off your teeth.

    Also, when it comes to teeth whitening, I wouldn't recommend any expensive kits (such as the $40 Crest professional kit that promises professional results in 2 weeks). Honestly, you can find really good teeth whiteners at the dollar store, from third party brands, which use an unpalatable concentration of peroxide.

    But generally a $2 bottle of peroxide is all you need to whiten your teeth.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Dental Hygeine

    All 3 everyday. Please people, brush in the morning. I know some people who think it's ok to only brush before bed. Bad breath is something a fragrance will not hide.

    Don't know much about whiteners but I do know there are kits that can be bought from the dentist that are higher concentration than you can buy in stores.

  3. #3
    Dependent
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    killeen texas
    Posts
    1,143

    Default Re: Dental Hygeine

    i didnt thinkof third party brands thanks man!!!

  4. #4

    Default Re: Dental Hygeine

    I brush my teeth after every meal except when I am at work. If I drink soda or juice and I can't brush my teeth, I drink or rinse my mouth with water.

  5. #5
    Basenotes Institution 30 Roses's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    11,592
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Dental Hygeine

    Brushing at least 2x per day correlates with lowered risk of heart attacks and dementia.


  6. #6

    Default Re: Dental Hygeine

    I've been told that the only thing to look for with a toothbrush is soft bristles and no rubber. Apparently, a toothbrush that is too hard can wear down your teeth and cause them to look yellow.

  7. #7
    DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

    kbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    The Big Blue Marble
    Posts
    18,380
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Dental Hygeine

    The whitening ingredient in almost all dental office whitening is carbamide peroxide, in varying concentrations. Hydrogen peroxide is a poor substitute. Anything that effectively removes plaque (soft and mayonnaise-like in the beginning 24 hours after it is laid down) without damaging the teeth or and/or gums, and the body, is good to use. Floss works well if it is used judiciously, regularly and smartly. Wrapping the tooth/root convex roundness with taunt floss and moving it up and down is one of the best methods to remove soft plaque. Brushing is a great help but usually the bristles cannot penetrate the contact area where two teeth touch front to back. Water picking devices have been shown to be effective too. Sonic brushes not only take the plaque off but their sonic action actually explode bacteria in liquid (saliva) . Interdental pics and stimulators are also a good aid to remove plaque and stimulate healing blood/lymph flow in the gum tissue.
    Last edited by kbe; 11th September 2012 at 03:22 AM.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

  8. #8

    Default Re: Dental Hygeine

    The obsession with unnatural looking whiter-than-white teeth is concerning - just because people on TV and movies spend a fortune getting them.

    I agree with you about un-waxed floss - I have a stockpile, as it can no longer be purchased on shelves in Australia.

    But there are differences of opinions between dentists and prosthodontists as to which is better, un-waxed floss or inter-dental brushes like Picksters and Tee-Pee - where one has two or three different sized brushes that one pushes through their respective sized gaps between teeth. On the one hand, floss gets below the gum line, whereas the brushes plainly push out any deposits between teeth.

    The other item that should be in everyone's arsenal is Colgate Peroxyl. It not as strong as other very strong anti-bacterial mouth washes, but it works extremely well against anaerobic bacterial infections against which the other strong ones are totally ineffective. Such anaerobic infections don't occur very often, but I had one that drove me batty till I saw my prosthodontist who told me to buy a bottle of Peroxyl - which killed it off entirely after several one minute long swishes.
    Regards,
    Renato

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    4,476
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Dental Hygeine

    a no name brand whitening gel at the dollar store will get your teeth white because they contain 15% peroxide.

    but if a widely known corporate brand had that amount of peroxide in their product, there would be a public outrage.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Dental Hygeine

    Interdental brushes really turned it around for me! I am not an enthusiastic flosser, since I am afraid I will pull off a crown or something. The interdental brushes are hard to use at first--I had to spend 30 minutes or so on the task. Now I use three sizes of interdental brush, and I can do the whole sonicare/interdental/yes a bit of flossing on my lower front teeth all in five or ten minutes. My dentist told me I have the cleanest teeth of any of her patients.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Dental Hygeine

    Are there actually people here who brush only once a day?! That's scary.

    I brush and floss at least twice a day. I also chew gum (sugarless) like it's going out of style.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Dental Hygeine

    Quote Originally Posted by tsuzumi View Post
    Interdental brushes really turned it around for me! I am not an enthusiastic flosser, since I am afraid I will pull off a crown or something. The interdental brushes are hard to use at first--I had to spend 30 minutes or so on the task. Now I use three sizes of interdental brush, and I can do the whole sonicare/interdental/yes a bit of flossing on my lower front teeth all in five or ten minutes. My dentist told me I have the cleanest teeth of any of her patients.
    Which brand are you using?
    Regards,
    Renato

  13. #13

    Default Re: Dental Hygeine

    Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    Brushing at least 2x per day correlates with lowered risk of heart attacks and dementia.
    Do you think that the actual action contributes to that or do you think that people who are prone to heart attacks/dementia are just lazier and don't brush as much?

  14. #14

    Default Re: Dental Hygeine

    I brush my teeth several times a day, after each meal and occasionally after more aggressive, especially non-alcoholic, drinks like coffee, also use mouthwash and mouth spray, yet I haven't mastered flossing so far, this pretty much sums um my dental hygiene routine.

  15. #15

    Default Re: Dental Hygeine

    Quote Originally Posted by starshipvelcro View Post
    Do you think that the actual action contributes to that or do you think that people who are prone to heart attacks/dementia are just lazier and don't brush as much?
    I remember reading somewhere that it's got something to do with the bacteria from oral infections causing inflammation in other parts of the body. There have been a few studies.

  16. #16
    Basenotes Institution 30 Roses's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    11,592
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Dental Hygeine

    Quote Originally Posted by Kagey View Post
    I remember reading somewhere that it's got something to do with the bacteria from oral infections causing inflammation in other parts of the body. There have been a few studies.
    This.


  17. #17

    Default Re: Dental Hygeine

    Cross post from thread on whitening toothpaste in cosmetics board, Jan 2012...

    Quote Originally Posted by lilybelle View Post
    Here is something that has helped whiten my teeth by reducing tartar build-up. It's called oil pulling. It seems a little strange at first, but you get used to it, and it makes your teeth and gums feel great. I had a great dental checkup recently, with improved gums (due to this, I'm convinced). I use organic cold pressed sesame oil. They recommend you do it for 20 minutes, I think, but I do ten. I highly recommend this practice.

    http://oilpulling.com/
    I have been able to increase my oil pulling time since then to the recommended 20 minutes. I use the time to look at emails or whatever. This has most definitely improved the health of my gums - my dentist has confirmed that they have improved, and this is the only new thing I've been doing. I DO floss and brush, morning and evening, and any other time I feel the need. I'm a bit of a nut about it maybe. Please don't brush too vigorously - you can irritate your gums that way. Use a soft toothbrush and go gently. I have some whitening gel from my dentist that I am supposed to squeeze into some custom made plastic trays that fit my upper and lower teeth, but I found it to be too strong (it stung my gums and turned them white'ish!) so I didn't use it. He gave me a weaker concentration but I haven't tried it yet. Even with the oil pulling my teeth could probably use some extra help in the whitening department, but the oil pulling definitely cuts down on the tartar buildup and gingeval gums (I don't know the correct term, but it's when the gums start pulling away from the teeth, leaving a space for bacteria to enter). My dentist said that some people's teeth just seem to acquire more tartar than others', even with good oral hygeine.

  18. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    6,675

    Default Re: Dental Hygeine

    Tooth plaque itself is not the concern relative to heart disease. But, it may be the first symptom and step in the progression to periodontal disease, which is, indeed, linked to heart disease. "Eliminating dental plaque may be an important step in preventing periodontitis and coronary artery disease according to a study published in the Journal of Periodontology." http://www.joponline.org/doi/abs/10....op.2006.060081 Bacterial pathogens most frequently found in severe chronic periodontitis were also found in atherosclerotic plaque of coronary vessels.

  19. #19

    Default Re: Dental Hygeine

    Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    Which brand are you using?
    Regards,
    Renato
    I am using just what is available in drug stores here--it is a Japanese brand called 'DentalPro.' I looked at some in the US, and the main difference is that the sizes are much bigger. I use size 4 and 5 for most areas. But it seems that 5 is the smallest one in the US. I was unable to get anything in between my lower front teeth until I found size 0, which is almost needle-like in its thinness. I have no idea what might be available in Oz.

  20. #20

    Default Re: Dental Hygeine

    Quote Originally Posted by tsuzumi View Post
    I am using just what is available in drug stores here--it is a Japanese brand called 'DentalPro.' I looked at some in the US, and the main difference is that the sizes are much bigger. I use size 4 and 5 for most areas. But it seems that 5 is the smallest one in the US. I was unable to get anything in between my lower front teeth until I found size 0, which is almost needle-like in its thinness. I have no idea what might be available in Oz.
    Thanks.

    We have a brand called Picksters here, and a occasionally a Swedish brand called Tee-Pee.
    I find the thinnest ones don't last very long.
    Regards,
    Renato

  21. #21
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    McLean, NYC, & Búzios
    Posts
    83,809

    Default Re: Dental Hygeine

    Quote Originally Posted by Hayven View Post
    I brush my teeth after every meal except when I am at work.
    Same here.

  22. #22

    Default Re: Dental Hygeine

    i try to floss after every meal, and brush three times a day. i used to brush after every meal but i was told too much is bad for the enamel. i have just been looking into oil pulling. Apparently swishing stuff like coconut oil or sesame seed oil for 10 mins rids the mouth of bacteria.

    i would like to know what you guys use to floss. i use oral b flossette (below) as it is the only floss i know that can clear the back teeth. The only problem is, i have to order it from australia. does anyone have any good suggestions?


    Flossettes.jpg

  23. #23

    Default Re: Dental Hygeine

    Quote Originally Posted by cloud9 View Post
    i try to floss after every meal, and brush three times a day. i used to brush after every meal but i was told too much is bad for the enamel. i have just been looking into oil pulling. Apparently swishing stuff like coconut oil or sesame seed oil for 10 mins rids the mouth of bacteria.

    i would like to know what you guys use to floss. i use oral b flossette (below) as it is the only floss i know that can clear the back teeth. The only problem is, i have to order it from australia. does anyone have any good suggestions?

    Flossettes.jpg
    I seem to have no problem cleaning my back teeth with regular floss. What is it about regular floss that doesn't work for you?

    By the way, that oil thing sounds really repulsive.

  24. #24

    Default Re: Dental Hygeine

    Quote Originally Posted by Kagey View Post
    I seem to have no problem cleaning my back teeth with regular floss. What is it about regular floss that doesn't work for you?

    By the way, that oil thing sounds really repulsive.
    the problem i have is accessibility. i haven't figured out how to get floss and fingers towards the back of my mouth successfully. lol

    regular floss doesn't clean as well as flossette.

    the oil thing seems ok, but i'm a bit scared to walk up to someone and say "smell my breathe"

Similar Threads

  1. Dental Offices
    By MaxHeadroom in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 24th May 2012, 12:34 PM
  2. Looking for daily hygeine/grooming tips.
    By ibarney5 in forum Men's Grooming
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 31st March 2009, 02:49 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000