Code of Conduct

Thread: Facial Hair

Banned
    Blog Entries

Default Facial Hair

Generally, it has become more culturally accepted that a man be clean shaven, and having a big nest of a beard is seen as sloppy or old-fashioned. A lot of people can pull off facial hair really well, but for most people clean-shaven is the best way to go. And if you grow whiskers rather than thick hair, it's better off to shave it.

Just my 2 cents.

Default Re: Facial Hair

I will try to weigh in, since I know it from my own experience.

Any attempt of growing facial hair would look, at best, pathetic on me, my beard hairs, while tough and abundant, tending to grow asymmetrically and also leaving a quite extensive "bald patch" right under my chin. Plus I like being clean-shaved for a series of reasons: youthful aspect, liking for the morning ritual of shaving, more contact surface/better accessibility for male grooming products, a more "neutral" look in a pleasant way (more unassuming, yet easier to accessorize with anything) and quite a few other motives not coming to my mind right now, yet also being there in my mind while enjoying the clean-shaved option.
    Last edited by Ken_Russell; 8th September 2012 at 06:49 PM.

On the whole, I'm going to have to disagree. Clean-shaven is timeless...it will always be accepted. However, the permanant five o'clock shadow is not only still trendy, but it's even reached the point of being accepted as "professional" in some offices. I see more beards now on the street than I did five years ago (properly trimmed...not allowed to grow raggedly). Even the moustache has returned (albeit in more of a comical way). I agree that a "nest" isn't good, nor generally accepted...and if you don't grow hair easily, then stay clean-shaven......but I think that if the hair stays properly kept, there's more variety out there and it's more accepted now than I've ever seen it before.
    "We don't fail because we aim too high and miss, but because we aim too low and hit" - Les Brown

"Sometimes we need to suffer just so we can look at our lives and know we're for real" - Francis Chan

It may be a regional thing (I live in London) but from what I've seen recently beards are trendier now than they have been for some time.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Clean shaven and stubble, yes. Full beard I would leave to married/older men/Santa.

I think stubble is the new trend.
    Thats the way that i use.

Some people just look better/ more masculine with a moustache or a beard, while others look less good. And for some it is neither here nor there.

The stubble look - I hate seeing actors with it movies. The high intensity action takes place day-in, day-out in remote areas - and their stubble never seems to change. While I can kind of imagine a clean shaven hero carrying a razor around with him, I find it hard to picture a stubble hero carrying his Braun Beard and Moustache trimmer with him through jungles or deserts.
    Cheers,
    Renato

I actually sport a pretty thick beard myself not wild but well kept around the jawlines. I cleaned shaved one time and everyone at the office told me to never do it again lol

Banned

I have run the gamut of facial hair, excluding a long beard. At times, I have had a shortly-trimmed, full beard, a goatee, a soul patch, and a moustache.
    Presently, I am clean shaven.
    I have no negative feelings toward facial hair.

Dependent

facial hair is good if done right

I haven't been clean shaven since high school, and I am currently 10 months in to my first ever yeard (growing facial hair without touching for a year). Currently, I sort of look like an 1800's gentelman that's been forced in to t-shirts and jeans/button downs and khakis. I have a baby face, and even with a crazy full beard, I am often mistaken for being much younger than I am. I love my beard, and fortunately my SO does too. I can't say that I'll keep the full untrimmed look, but I'm not shaving this face anytime soon. For what it is worth, there is a study that has shown women prefer 5 o'clock shadow, though I currently can't seem to find it. It is good reading if you like that sort of thing.

I trim it to about 1.6mm in length (generally a lighter stubble). If I am clean shaven, I get told that I look like a child (baby face). If I have a full beard, people find it nice, but I can't stand it. I think I look better with stubble anyways

I have very sensitive facial skin, so for me, I always feel much better with a small amount of well-trimmed/groomed stubble. In the summers, I tend to clean shave a bit more, but in the harsh winters, my skin just simply feels better & more protected with at least some stubble. I personally think it looks fine either way. If I need/want to clean shave I do, but otherwise I prefer to keep some well-groomed stubble.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Clean shaven and gentleman like for me.