Code of Conduct

Default Choosing a more "grown up" fragrance

Hello, I'm new and have a couple questions.

All my life, I've worn sprays. The cotton candy ones you get at the dollar store, and the nicer ones at Victoria's Secret. But also throughout my life, I've wanted to wear perfumes. I just never really had the money. I used to go to Macy's and practically get high trying to sniff all kinds of perfumes at once. I would really annoy the salespeople, but I found out some that I like!

Now I'm almost 24 and have my first full time job. I'm able to afford a nice perfume and I want to treat myself. I'm just not sure what I should get, since it's been a few years. I also live in a rural area now and can't walk to Macy's or anywhere with nice stuff.

So, here are a list of perfumes I really, really love. Not all just from a sniff at a department store either, sometimes my friends would get it for me or I'd borrow it: Ralph Lauren Hot, Chanel Coco Mademoiselle, CK One, Armani Code for Men (just thought I'd add it), DG Light Blue, DKNY Be Delicious, Versace Bright Crystal, Britney Spears Fantasy, Miss Dior Cherie, and...that's all I can really think of.

I don't know what category these would be under.

But which one would be a good everyday scent for a 24 year old woman?

Also, someone told me I shouldn't get a designer (like, Versace) fragrance because I don't wear designer clothes. I wear a lot of Old Navy, Target, even Goodwill at times. I'm relatively frugal. So is it considered in bad taste to wear a designer fragrance with cheapo clothes?

Thank you so much for reading!

Dependent

Default Re: Choosing a more "grown up" fragrance

burberry london

Welcome!

A first suggestion, which you probably know already, is that you shouldn't jump into the first perfume you like. It's best to smell around a bit, sometimes you lose interest in what you liked at first, or find something else you'd like more. But, unfortunately, this is something difficult for you if you don't have access to many stores.

Most of the perfumes you've cited fall in the category of fruity florals, that is, perfumes with various fruity notes and some usually clean flowers. This is indeed the most common category of female perfumes right now, so there are very many examples (and the ones you cite are still around). Coco Mademoiselle and Miss Dior Cherie (now called just Miss Dior) are probably the most famous (and perhaps best) in the genre.

Which stores do you have access to? Otherwise it's hard to make a suggestion. Also, if you ever happen in a Marshall, TJMaxx or the like, it's worth checking what they have. Usually, not much, but occasionally they have great scents at a discount. You cannot smell them, though, so you need to know them beforehand. Thrift stores can be a boon too. It's really very random, but sometimes I've heard some of the midwestern Basenoters find spectacular frags for nothing. (of course, one needs to know a little about frags, for there's also a lot of scrap at thrift stores).

As to matching frags and clothes, that sounds rather silly. Just wear what you like and want to wear. Besides, there is no relation typically between the clothing and the perfume sides. Designers commission frags to aromachemical companies and then put their names on them. Some designer frags are indeed great quality, but some are not.

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by Kaenor View Post
    Also, someone told me I shouldn't get a designer (like, Versace) fragrance because I don't wear designer clothes. I wear a lot of Old Navy, Target, even Goodwill at times. I'm relatively frugal. So is it considered in bad taste to wear a designer fragrance with cheapo clothes?

Thank you so much for reading!
    Whoever told you that is clueless as to the rules of fragrance, mainly because there are none . Today I wore a sample of Diptyque Vetyverio with Adidas gym shorts and a tshirt. As long as you are comfortable in it, be it clothing or perfume, wear what you want when you want.

Also, congratulations on the new job and welcome to the community! We're happy to have you.

Banned
    Blog Entries

anything from the Dior line is quality

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by chili_willi View Post
    Whoever told you that is clueless as to the rules of fragrance, mainly because there are none .
    Absolutely! They are talking out of their a**e.

l too am frugal with my spending on clothes, mainly so that l can spend more on fragrance! l happily wear my Chanel, Guerlain, Malle or whatever fragrances with whatever clothes l want, from department store jeans to my hospital uniform. And l get a kick out of it,too

Welcome to basenotes, & happy sniffing!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Puredistance / M

Start to sample and take the time to wear a good variety of fragrances...you will discover a world. You can easily get decants from several website including Luckyscent, Firstinfragrance, Perfumedcourt and many others)...

Gve a chance to the Chanel's exclusives, Lutens, Dior exclusives. Sample some classics from Guerlain and Caron...

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Sampling is a great, frugal way to learn about various fragrances and identify the ones you'd love to wear. Your taste in fragrances however may change over time, and with more experience. So do stick around, spend a little $ educating yourself about fragrances - you will find the rewards deeply enriching.

Welcome to Basenotes!

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by Orgoglio italianO View Post
    Puredistance / M
    For a 24 year old woman? Really? Did you even read one word past the title?
    Last edited by 2ndBakeryAttack; 10th September 2012 at 07:54 PM.

Blahh.. wear what you like....but some scents that make me think "Grown and sexy"... ESCADA MAGNETISM, CK Euphoria, D&G #3 l'imperatrice, Angel, Armani Code for women, Miss dior cherie, flowerbomb and Gucci guilty..

Since you have a chance to give yourself a treat, you could funnel the money for a new perfume over to ordering samples of other stuff online, like highly reviewed stuff that fits your preferred scents, or gift packs of some of the lines others have mentioned. I'd definitely look up the ones you like and just check out the notes as well as the reviews to see how others describe them, and then look for other similar descriptions in recommended stuff.

Personally, I love vanilla scents, both on myself and on women. So if you wanted to try something there, I'd suggest sampling Jane Booke's Taken (available on indiescents).
    Last edited by ElVee; 10th September 2012 at 06:06 PM.

You remind me of someone I know. I'm not big on fruity florals, except for one, so I'll recommend it: Miss Worth, but whatever you do don't buy the reformulation or the 80's EDP/EDT in the tall bottle with the burgundy cap. Get the parfum flacon, it's transparent glass with a large, slightly flattened diamond-shaped stopper. One ounce of this glorious parfum can be purchased on Ebay for about what you would pay for something like Flowerbomb. OH, another option is to go for the lalique screw-top splash flacon. My wife had a couple of these in EDP, around 8 ounces, along with the parfums and both smell great.

I can send you a 5ml decant of the EDP or 1ml vial of the parfum if you're in Australia if you'd like to test it, but due to postage restrictions I can't mail perfume internationally.

I'd also recommend Cute Pink by Mandarina Duck. It's cute, and also pink (surprisingly) or Nina by Nina Ricci which sounds like it should be cloying due to the toffee apple note, but it's actually rather nice and very cute; great bottle too and very inexpensive.

Edit: just to clarify, despite their names/appearances, none of these scents are particularly girly/young with the exception of Nina though I believe it would definately smell good on a twenty-four year old, not twee at all.

Banned

Try:

Hypnose by Lancome - The marriage of coconuty frangipani with peach provides a tropical sweetness which is nicely countered by a green jasmine. The sparkling top is nicely segued to the warm, woody base with its sweet vanilla tempered with an earthy vetiver. Albeit not particularly daring, it is nonetheless pleasant and lovely, in additon to being a well-crafted composition.

&

You cannot get more grown up or chic than a fragrance from Guerlain.

DG Light Blue - Can be worn with pleasure. I know people who wore it as their first fragrance. But watch out for the cheap fakes of it.

Try Balenciaga l'essence, (blue-green bottle), Try Lalique Encre Noire (man side of the shop, girls use it also , Try hermes Voyage

All fagrances I've mentioned have something in common, the're not oversweet. I think that the can be unique if the work with your own chemistry and style.

Chiming in a bit late on this thread, but thought I would reiterate the point that others have made: wear what you like and what you are happy with. Fragrance can be a huge mood changer and so don't let designer/niche/whatever else get in the way of what you like and what is within your budget.

The advice you've already been given on sampling is golden. Get some samples of a few things here and there and then narrow your list right down. You'll soon know what is best given the feedback and comments/compliments that you'll soon get. Enjoy the journey and welcome to BN!

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndBakeryAttack View Post
    For a 24 year old woman? Really? Did you even read one word past the title?
    just teasin'

Quote Originally Posted by chili_willi View Post
    Whoever told you that is clueless as to the rules of fragrance, mainly because there are none . Today I wore a sample of Diptyque Vetyverio with Adidas gym shorts and a tshirt. As long as you are comfortable in it, be it clothing or perfume, wear what you want when you want.

Also, congratulations on the new job and welcome to the community! We're happy to have you.

+1
    I can't recommend a fragrance, but I can tell you this is complete garbage. In fact, I am going to go to the gym today, I'll spray on some Bond No.9 just to prove a point! I will tell you how things go once I get kicked out for suffocating the runner next to me.

Banned

Estee Lauder Tubereuse Gardenia.

You might like a few of the Estee Lauder scents and they are reasonably priced.

Basenotes Member

Since you mentioned you are frugal, you might want to also try estate sales. I've had great success and found some classics and vintages for a few bucks. It's also a fun hobby too. Estatesales.net will show you listings by area. Happy hunting!

Try Prada L'Eau d'Ambre! Enjoy yourself and try out a lot, there are no rules in perfume (especially not concerning clothes) as long as you do not offend anybody, for example, by waering something too strong to work.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Dior and chanel line.