Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
o
    Basenotes Junkie

Default Re: Adding Glycerine and Distilled Water for longevity

Chris, your generosity always warms my heart. Thanks!

why? if I may ask?
    is there a huge difference in the order of mixing?
    Currently wearing: Y by Yves Saint Laurent

Quote Originally Posted by David Ruskin View Post
    The longevity of a fragrance is a part of the fragrance; it is very rare that the longevity is controlled after the fragrance has been formulated. That's one of the reasons we use base note materials that are fixatives. In all my years as a perfumer (over thirty) I have never modified the staying power of a fragrance in the way you describe. Thus the two fragrances you mention (the original and the copy) cannot be the same. Whoever matched the original didn't do it properly. The top note may be the same but it clearly doesn't perform in the same way.

I would add water to the fragrance when it is mixed into the alcohol. As I do not know the composition of the fragrance nor the type of alcohol you are using it is impossible for me to tell you how much water to add.
    why if I may ask?
    is there a big difference in the order of mixing things?

Quote Originally Posted by David Ruskin View Post
    The longevity of a fragrance is a part of the fragrance; it is very rare that the longevity is controlled after the fragrance has been formulated. That's one of the reasons we use base note materials that are fixatives. In all my years as a perfumer (over thirty) I have never modified the staying power of a fragrance in the way you describe. Thus the two fragrances you mention (the original and the copy) cannot be the same. Whoever matched the original didn't do it properly. The top note may be the same but it clearly doesn't perform in the same way.

I would add water to the fragrance when it is mixed into the alcohol. As I do not know the composition of the fragrance nor the type of alcohol you are using it is impossible for me to tell you how much water to add.

reading this a few years later than it was written.
    the thread was fascinating till that Tallat dude decided to throw in his bible biblical philosophy
    trying to revive the post. if anyone would like to help about it and write what he have learned.
    are there any new products in the market that serves as fixatives? ( I saw perfumers world selling such chemical)
    and one more question....
    is there a big difference in the order of mixing things?

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by refael_sakura View Post
    Tallat dude decided to throw in his bible biblical philosophy
    I'm so sorry, but I re-read the posts in this thread from Tallat, and while I don't agree with very much of what he said, I did not find ANY Biblical references in the statements he made. I really frankly think it quite nonsense of you to bring in your anti-biblical bias into this thread.
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    In addition to Our own PK line, we make Custom Bespoke Perfumes, perfumes for Entrepreneurs needing scents for perfumes or products, Custom Wedding Perfumes, and even Special Event Perfumes.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Bartlett View Post
    Just in case anyone was still looking for this paper, there’s a copy you can download from PellWall.com.
    Hi chriss couldnt access the page. . Can you please check?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by pkiler View Post
    I'm so sorry, but I re-read the posts in this thread from Tallat, and while I don't agree with very much of what he said, I did not find ANY Biblical references in the statements he made. I really frankly think it quite nonsense of you to bring in your anti-biblical bias into this thread.
    Pkiler sorry you miss understood me. I was disapointed by the change in the original topic. Calling " bibilical philosophy i meant for his way of making perfume" not actual bible talking. ( i did grow up in a religious society and have read the bible start to end more than 10 times .. if that makes a difference :-)
    Though i m not religious at all these days. Sorry had to explaine myself so younwouldnt miss understand my intenstions

Quote Originally Posted by refael_sakura View Post
    Hi chriss couldnt access the page. . Can you please check?

Try here: https://documents.pub/document/1976-fixation.html

Quote Originally Posted by Alysoun View Post
    when I search for things like this I must be using the wrong keywords, or you don't rely on google much, or you know the names to look for or something? This is the kind of article I was looking for a couple of weeks ago on evaporation, maybe I can go through search history to see what is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Thea in Fl View Post
    when I search for things like this I must be using the wrong keywords, or you don't rely on google much, or you know the names to look for or something? This is the kind of article I was looking for a couple of weeks ago on evaporation, maybe I can go through search history to see what is wrong.
    I can't remember exactly. I think I got some clues to the author or title from one of the broken links.

Some of the introductory books have really good bibliographies. It's a lot easier to search for a specific document than just a subject.