Code of Conduct

Default Boucheron Pour Homme EDP - an opinion.

As some of you may know, I am a big fan of citrus chypres. So it should be no surprise that I have tried out Boucheron Pour Homme in the past. I have only ever found the EDT version to try before, and even though it has a lot of notes in common with another of my favourites, Armani Eau Pour Homme, I was always disappointed to find that BPH seemed very unbalanced for my liking, too little of the citrus top and floral middle, and too much of the oakmoss base, it winds up being way too astringent.

I got the opportunity to try Boucheron Pour Homme EDP on Friday. Balance has been restored to the universe.

This stuff is loud, powerful. But in the EDP, all the parts of the choir are singing with the same gusto. The unpleasant, astringent iodine like effect of the oakmoss that happens in the EDT is just not there, it is tempered by all the other notes. The projection of just 4 sprays was amazing, I was wrapped in an arms length cloud of "that guy smells good", and I was probably leaving a great trail behind me. Longevity was at least 7 hours (I had to go to bed), the shower the next morning reactivated some of the scent. I should think a single spray would be enough for the office, but even 4 sprays is only too overpowering for someone who's got right up close. Maybe skip this one for my Salsa classes, then.

Have I just found another one of my Holy Grail Scents? You know, I think I might just have...

I do feel sorry for those of you that have a scent memory association with "Old Ladies" when you smell this fabulous juice. But its not totally unexpected. This is one of only a handful of EDP strength Chypres marketed at men. Most others were marketed at women and had the height of their popularity in the 1950s and 1960s. Fortunately, my Grandmother was a fan of white flower scents, so I dont have this problem (thanks Gran).

Default Re: Boucheron Pour Homme EDP - an opinion.

Its a great scent, its just that my edp which came from beautyencounter, was old and stale; i've kept in the fridge and use it time to time, its a bit too pungent for me but nevertheless, its a great fragrance.

Agree it's a wonderful scent.

Thanks for the detailed description, adding valuable new insights to a scent genuinely enjoyed by me.

I started with EDT with great pleasure, no disharmony detected (ahem, it was 90s vintage juice btw)
    later switched to EDP which I liked much better.

Count me in that "Sorry for your Old Lady association" club too.

Regards, Odor.

...not special enough to buy...!

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

BpH EDP is one frag i really enjoy wearing. Prefer it to the EDT for the balance andym72 pointed out, as well as its depth.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Love It ! Just purchased the EDP. Thanks to a forum member that recommended it to me...forever grateful.

This is a wonderful fragrance indeed.....I'm so happy that You were able to find this and sample.....Enjoy!!!
    Gary

A very classy scent with a sophistcated elegant aura. My favorit in this genre. A scent for Don Draper and Gordon Gekko. I just order a 100ml bottle of the EDP.

My grandma used to buy this for my grandpa.

Not my cuppatea!

Just curious; What is Luca Turin's opinion on this fragrance?

A truly amazing and unique fragrance that is worth every penny. The composition is lush, thick and detailed which means you don't need to spray much to be noticed.

As I've mentioned before it too has been reformed, the good juice comes in the frosted bottle as the clear one is certainly lacking.

Quote Originally Posted by 61824 View Post
    A truly amazing and unique fragrance that is worth every penny. The composition is lush, thick and detailed which means you don't need to spray much to be noticed.

As I've mentioned before it too has been reformed, the good juice comes in the frosted bottle as the clear one is certainly lacking.
    Is the new EDP bottle clear glass? I think mine is only frosted on the sides..

Another scent just went under my radar!
    My all time favorite:

Dior Fahrenheit

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    As is the case with Boucheron Jaipur....
    My Top '10' : (In no particular order)

- Dolce & Gabbana: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Paco Rabanne: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Loewe: Esencia/Pour Homme/Solo/7
    - YSL: Opium Pour Homme Edp
    - Jacques Bogart: Bogart Pour Homme (2004)
    - MPG: Santal Noble
    - Guerlain: Vetiver
    - Van Cleef & Arpels: Pour Homme
    - Hermes: Terre d'Hermes
    - YSL: Kouros (Fraicheur)

Thumbs up Re: Boucheron Pour Homme EDP - an opinion.

I love the EdT but prefer the EdP. It's a great verbena scent
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

I wear it fairly regularly it is a fabulous scent.

Don't know about the EDP, have only worn the EDT. Used to own a vintage bottle and nowadays I got the reformulation. Didn't notice any substantial change: It's still a nice chypre, with great lemony top note that lingers throughout the thick talcum powder drydown.
    It's a favourite, I love the dichotomy between the harsh oakmoss (that normally brings the dated feeling to some people) and the talcum slightly sweetned by ylang-ylang (well, the talcum powder, in this case, although refreshing - because mixed with the citrusy notes, also brings dated feelings...).
    Some years ago I read someone saying the EDT is brighter and fresher than the EDP. Does anyone confirm that information?

Quote Originally Posted by Slayerized View Post
    As is the case with Boucheron Jaipur....
    Just checked their web site. I own both Pour homme and Jaipur in EDP concentration, and it's the same bottles as shown on their web site. Frosted on the sides, and clear in the middle.

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    *edit* My mistake, I thought you were referring to Jaipur by the same house. The information still stands.

The old EDP had frosted sides on the bottle, the reform is a totally clear bottle which isn't as strong.

Old

New
    Last edited by 61824; 25th September 2014 at 04:46 PM.

This is what my bottle that I've had for several years looks like. The EDP version is one of my favorite fragrances.

He he.. There is so many bottle designs.. Sorry guys, but THIS IS the latter present bottle of Pour homme. Frosted frame, clear in the middel with letters in gold tone. (This is the bottle I own, and it smells great)
    Last edited by Oslo-Fjord; 24th September 2014 at 06:40 PM.

And here is the present bottle of Jaipur shown on their web page. Frosted frame, clear in the middel, gold cap, and letters in gold tone. (Smells great!)

Quote Originally Posted by ROBERTO View Post
    I love the EdT but prefer the EdP. It's a great verbena scent
    This is how I feel...

Hated it years ago, when I first sniffed it. Loving it lately. Not sure if it's the scent, my nose, or just my taste in fragrance that's changed. But I'm sorely tempted by it now. Full bottle purchase on the horizon.

Basenotes Plus

Thanks for the tip. For some reason I didn't think I'd like this BPH. You convinced me to try the Edp.

Quote Originally Posted by mrcologneguy View Post
    Hated it years ago, when I first sniffed it. Loving it lately. Not sure if it's the scent, my nose, or just my taste in fragrance that's changed. But I'm sorely tempted by it now. Full bottle purchase on the horizon.
    I've found myself going through that on occasion. I'd bought Jaipur Pour Homme EDP in the metal frame, thinking the whole bottle was refillable... then discovered it's just refillable with a new bottle slipped into the frame. Wasn't impressed with the rather loud and gourmand like quality to the aroma. But then a few months later I tried it again and I'm like WOW, this is nice! I think my nose matured or something. I also believe rather strongly that "olfactory familiarity" sometimes comes into play. You smell something at first, and your brain can't quite figure it out... smells weird or off. Then that information is digested and worked on subconsciously. Later on, your exposure to that aroma has you prepared. You can focus on the qualities of the formulation. And you can end up liking it a lot.