Code of Conduct

Question Scent Recommendation - Powerful / Masculine Scent

Hey,

I'm new to this board, coming from the MaleFashionAdvice part of Reddit. I've seen some of the threads around here and you guys seem like a friendly bunch.

To my surprise I just discovered that there are in fact forums dedicated to the discussion of colognes, and being a person who only own colognes I've received as a gift, I was wondering if you could help me out if I do decide to go buy some myself.

I read up on the Fragrance Directory about some of the ones I have and I'll list a few:
    • Burberry - Brit For Men
    • Bruno Banani - About Men
    • Ralph Lauren - The Big Pony Nr. 2
    • Armani Sport Code (EDT)
    • Diesel - Only The Brave

This is list does not indicate what I'm looking for, but it should give you an idea of my current "scentilligence" or lack thereof.

--------------------------------------

So what am I looking for?
    Basically, if anyone could recommend me a relatively strong and sexy scent. Think about something that would give you the "Mad Men" sort of mood or Suits. I'm not too concerned about it being "offensive" as I cannot imagine anyone I know describing a cologne like that

I do realize that colognes are personal and react differently with the skin, but I would like an idea about what to look at the next time I'm in a perfume store.

Thanks for being a resource on the web. I never knew there was a science behind all this.

lpstral.

Default Re: Scent Recommendation - Powerful / Masculine Scent

Tom Ford Extreme
    Rive Gauche

Aventus, Body Kouros, Platinum Egoiste

Thanks, JyyskNotes and Jack. I read up on all those in the fragrance database and based on the reviews I've singled out the Tom Ford, Rive Gauche, Platinum Egoiste, and especially Body Kouros. With that said, all of them match the description perfectly. Now I just have to try them

In the reviews I also discovered Azarro Pour Homme. Any opinions on that? I see the reviews, but people are different...

Either way, thanks for posting. I'll be sure to check these out some time soon!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Yves Saint Laurent M7
    Chanel Egoiste

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like

Antaeus or Egoiste
    Aventus

Post Thanks / Like

Aventus, Egoiste and Spicebomb

Post Thanks / Like

Basically, if anyone could recommend me a relatively strong and sexy scent. Think about something that would give you the "Mad Men" sort of mood or Suits. I'm not too concerned about it being "offensive" as I cannot imagine anyone I know describing a cologne like that
    Mad Men as in that show set in the 60's? Look for something of that era, or at least around it. Though you might find such things too dated. Also generally speaking there is a wide gap between fragrances that people describe as 'sexy,' and those which people would describe as strong and masculine. That said since something strong and masculine can be sexy if I were you I would focus more on this aspect.

Regarding your question, Azzaro Pour Homme is a great fragrance. Very strong, masculine and a little old fashioned but in no way 'old man-ish,' but I would steer away from Body Kouros based on your criteria. It's too sweet and has too many gourmand notes. If you find Azzaro Pour Homme interesting by all means pick up a bottle as you can find it online for around $20, and there are many retailers where you can sample it first. I own many expensive fragrances, but I still wear this one and my fiance is very fond of it.

Based on what you've said though, the mood you're trying to evoke, I'd recommend Givenchy Gentleman. The reformulation initially; it's a little more refined, and a small bottle might be a good way to dip your toes in. If you find you like it then consider the vintage. I can send you a little vial of said vintage if you like so you can test it first as it can be a little on the pricey side, but due to legal restrictions I can only do so if you're in Australia. This scent is very much a masculine classic, and incredibly sexy, with excellent projection and longevity. It has a strong leathery, animalic quality, but there is a sense of austerity too especially in the reformulation.

Another by Givenchy that's worth a look is Xeryus.

I also think you would do well to check out is Zino by Davidoff. This is a resolutely masculine fragrance with a classical quality which can be had for a steal.

Also look into Coriolan, Habit Rouge and Heritage by Guerlain. Tzar, Midnight In Paris and Van Cleef & Arpels Pour Homme by Van Cleef & Arpels, Worth Pour Homme, and Roger & Gallet Pour l'Homme.

Many others exist, but I don't want to swamp you. In the end I think the best thing you can do is sample around, test, and take your time.

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like

Tom Ford Extreme

Carbone de Balmain

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Miket about Zino by Davidoff, well worth a sniff.

Consider trying Eau Sauvage Parfum It has great power and projection, a little citrus on top and lots of vetiver.

For something lighter, try C. O. Bigelow Barber 1585 Elixir White: Bergamot, Grapefruit, Mandarin, Pepper, Wood, Spices

Basenotes Junkie
    Post Thanks / Like

Most of the truly powerful masculine scents came from a different era. I can hardly imagine Don Draper wearing anything that is popular today. You have to look back to the 70s or 80s to find real masculine powerhouse designer fragrances. I've been mentioning these 3 a lot lately, but they really do deserve the cred they get:

Antaeus
    Fahrenheit
    Kouros

Kouros is probably the most aggressive and sexual of the 3, but it is a very distinct and somewhat dated smell which can turn some people off. Still a masterpiece. Antaeus smells the most like money and power.

Guerlainista
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Rive Gauche - it's very masculine, but not at all harsh. It feels soft and green.

Aramis is very masculine as well, and I think it suits a person with a confident personality. As a leather chypre, it's louder and has that chypric bitterness, but I love that.

Acqua di Parma Colonia is a great one too. Very traditional - fresh and clean but not in the modern way.

Knize Ten is a pretty hard-core leather. I love this one too - James Dean wore it, and it makes you think of the leather interiors of expensive sports cars. Timeless, masculine, and as powerful as a supercharged big block V-8.
    Last edited by rubegon; 10th September 2012 at 06:11 PM.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Power Where You Need It
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rubegon View Post
    Knize Ten
    ^^^this is the way to go...alternatively, if you don't like leather, Parfums De Nicolai New York.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Wow...

Thanks to everyone who posted their suggestions. And especially to Miket for a very detailed answer. I've looked up a bunch of these and I'll make a list of which to try when I have the opportunity.

Although I'm a little overwhelmed, feel free to add more suggestions if you can think of something that hasn't been said. Like I said, I'll have to make a list and spend a day trying them out.

Thanks again for your help!

lpstral.

Male Member
    Post Thanks / Like

This article may be of interest. I recommend Habit Rouge & Guerlain Vetiver:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/20/fa...skin-deep.html

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Marais View Post
    This article may be of interest. I recommend Habit Rouge & Guerlain Vetiver:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/20/fa...skin-deep.html
    Interesting article...thanks..goes to show...just like the black leather jacket..and in my opinion a double breasted suit....a classic has staying power.