Code of Conduct

Default New Scale advice, please!

My My Weigh iBal 201 has finally died after about eight years of use. It is time to weigh my options (ha-ha) for a new scale.

The My old Weigh iBal 201 measured in increments of .01 grams, and had a capacity of 200 grams. My only issue with it was that it tended to flicker between readings (.02 would become .03, then go back to .02, and so on). It did not have a windscreen, so I think that might be the cause of the fluctuation. The new models do have a windscreen.

Looking at other threads, it seems that people like the My Weigh 101, which weighs to .005 grams, and a capacity of 100 grams. I also saw mention of the 401 (more than I really want to spend, but weighs to .005 has a capacity of 400 grams).

If a scale says that it goes to 100 grams, does that include the bottle, even after I've tared the scale back to zero? In other words, is the total weight that the pan can tolerate 100 grams, or is that how much it can be weighed after tare-ing to zero?

For those of you who have a scale that measures to .005 grams, do you find this to be a significant asset?

If anyone has an experience or recommendation with these scales, or another scale to recommend, I would appreciate it. :-) thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

also thinking of this budget option:
    http://www.oldwillknottscales.com/my-weigh-durascale-d2-300.html

Default Re: New Scale advice, please!

the weight you tare is inclusive, for 100 grams is a physical limit. putting more weight than the scale can handle on it, can potentially damage (the precision of) your scale, so be careful with that. know the amount you tare. i have the i101 and i'm satisfied with it, only downside is the 100 grams limit, with a bottle on the scale that limit is reached all too soon. i sometimes take off the aluminium plate, it's weight is on top of the 100 grams limit, so taking it off will give me just a little more room, about 23.5 grams.

Thanks, Gido. I often dilute my materials in 1oz Boston round amber bottles, and for the life of me I cannot remember how much they weighed before I tared the scale to zero!

I've given some advice on this in my blog, setting out what I think are the key considerations and also providing a link to the scale I use, which is accurate to 0.001g and can weight up to 200g max. In order to handle the need to weight larger amounts I have a less accurate scale with a 6kg maximum as well.

In all cases the quoted maximum capacity of a scale will be including the tare (bottle or whatever other container you are using).

Even with a capacity of 200g I frequently find that I need to weigh out materials in smaller containers than I will eventually be using because the final bottle is too heavy.
    ďA person who is nice to you, but rude to the waiter, is not a nice person
    ― Dave Barry

Chris Bartlett
    Perfumes from the edge . . .

www.perfumedesigner.co.uk
    Twitter: @PellWallPerfume

If you are looking for a perfumery consultation Iím happy to quote: if you want free advice, thatís what these forums are for
    You can also join my blog if you wish to ask questions of me.

Mine is the iweigh and I find the 100g a constraint that I would avoid next time, however I like the accuracy. I would buy a bigger one as a companion next time to the highest I could afford in the accuracy bracket I wanted. My choice would be the 400g for myself.

I suggest you weigh the bottles you like to use the most of, both full and empty at the post office and then you will know what you need for yourself. We may all be doing slightly different things to you.
    Last edited by mumsy; 10th September 2012 at 02:57 PM.

Hi Chris,

Thanks for link...the ink to your Radwag scale goest to a "page not found". Do you happen to have the model number?

Thanks again!

Thanks for letting me know - I've corrected it on the blog now, the link should go here:

http://www.radwag.com/english/1b_wtb.htm

The one I'm using is the WTB 200, though when I come to replace it I plan to buy the 2000.
    Last edited by Chris Bartlett; 10th September 2012 at 02:33 PM. Reason: added note on replacement
    ― Dave Barry

Chris Bartlett

If you are looking for a perfumery consultation Iím happy to quote: if you want free advice, thatís what these forums are for

Hi Chris, thanks for the link! I'm curious, you mention you would replace it with the 2000 model, but it looks like it does .01 grams readability, not .001?

Thanks again

I have the WTB 200 aswell, and I find that the smallest drop usually reads about 0.01g, so I suppose that the WTB 2000 with bigger capacity and slightly less accuracy would probably be a better option.

Yes that's right and I find that I need greater capacity for production (as distinct from blending) work.

However for small-scale blending I'd still want a high-accuracy one. Although what Renegade says is right, I think it is generally best to have one order of magnitude more accuracy than you actually use in order to avoid adding unintended rounding errors.

I also meant to post this link to a cheaper alternative that I know some people have found successful:

http://betterequipped.co.uk/epages/e...oducts/prd0921

I'll add that to the blog post while I'm thinking about it for future reference.
    ― Dave Barry

Chris Bartlett

Wow. That's not a bad price. Does anyone have one to confirm whether it is decent?

I found this on italian ebay http://www.ebay.it/itm/Bilancia-di-p...item3a76ffcc73
    the shop is german so don't worry and the price looks very good. They ship to all the EU excluding some country they explicitly list.
    Sebastiano - Organic Chemist