Code of Conduct

Default Suggestion on fragrances for women that can we worn by men: Emeraude, Imprevu, My Sin, Scandal

Wich of these are the best for a man to wear? I know the answer should be "whatever fits you best", but so far, I can assure that I feel comfortable with orientals and some chypres - for instace, I found Chanel N 19 great while Guerlain's Chamade not so.

Thus:

- Emeraude: Oriental >might do
    - Imprevu: Woody Chypre > might do
    - My Sin : Floral aldehyde > guess not (tried a vintage Arpege, and well, I could not stand it)
    - Scandal (Lanvin): Chypre > who knows

I would appreciate your opinions. Thanks!

Default Re: Suggestion on fragrances for women that can we worn by men: Emeraude, Imprevu, My Sin, Scandal

The frags you mention are vintage and/or have gone through several reformulation, so it's hard to generalize, it may depend on the specific version.

Current Emeraude smells cheap. Vintage Emeraude is a great oriental with a fresh green note, and great for men. Shalimar and vol de nuit are clear relatives, so if you're comfortable with those, you should be comfortable with Emeraude as well.

My Sin: resounding yes. I love the skanky, civety drydown. The top could be a floral aldehydic not miles away from Arpege, but on my skin it goes down to business right away. Regarding Arpege, by the way, the drydown is very masculine, but of course if one doesn't like aldehydic florals, there's quite some time with them. I think the modern Arpege is quite good too, less floral and a touch sweeter and woodier, almost a nod in the direction of modern gourmand masculines, so you should give a try.

I have not smelled the other two.

cacio

Default Re: Suggestion on fragrances for women that can we worn by men: Emeraude, Imprevu, My Sin, Scandal

Thanks Cacio! I will report back: all are vintage (really vintage, as a matter of fact).

Let's not fool ourselves... My Sin and Scandal are glamorous feminine heavy-hitters of a long bygone time! However, Scandal is very wearable as it is very animalic in any vintage and hugely so in the very old extrait. However, part of the magic of Scandal is a very special 'roundness', plushness and almost softness amidst the animalic 'bite' this perfume has. My Sin has a vibe (it's the specific civet dominance with exactly these florals here) that I can not pull off myself. My mother is madly in love with it and living on my stock.

Thanks Larimar! This saturday I will see if I can give them a try.