Code of Conduct

Default Who started the Cool Water to GIT comparison ?

Or are they that similar in the top notes, which I generally can't register well (and try to largely avoid)? The listed notes, however, do not suggest much similarity. Bobby Jones Cologne, to me, is much closer to GIT than CW. CW quickly develops into a candy-like scent with a touch of tobacco (the neroli does not stay strong for very long). Even if my CW bottle is a new, terrible reformulation, there would be plenty of people who smelled this formulation because it's at least a few years old (and I've had older bottles that smelled like this too). I don't understand how this idea that CW is a lousy or cheap GIT got started because they have hardly anything in common (at least beyond the first few minutes), other than notes that are common to many, many other men's frags. Any ideas?

Default Re: Who started the Cool Water to GIT comparison ?

Personally never felt that they were similar.

Sound Scents

I think they are indeed similar (or at least the original vintage formula was that I used to wear and am much more familiar with) but never considered vintage Cool Water a lousy or cheap GIT clone. I like both fragrances and find vintage Cool Water and GIT worth owning.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Don't forget Chez Bond and Floris JF.

Someone should do a double-blind smell test with average joes to see which they like best, and BN "experts" to see if they can pick out which is which, etc.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Pure White Cologne
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Tom Ford - Grey Vetiver
    by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    5. Clive Christian - 1872
    6. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    7. Xerjoff - Nio
    8. Neela Vermeire - Bombay Bling
    9. The Different Company - De Bachmakov
    10. Chanel - Allure Homme Edition Blanche

Wings for Men by GBH seems to be closest to what CW is now, though I don't seek out these frags so there's likely some others. GIT is a violet/lavender with a touch of sweetness before you get to the base, whereas CW has strong neroli and obviously lavender but with a lot of sweetness and a hint of tobacco and jasmine.

Bigsly, I've been meaning to ask you for ages; how do you avoid the top notes? Do you hold your nose till they're gone?

Back on topic: I do find CW & GIT to be quite similar, but mostly in the top / middle. I prefer GIT.
    We're all in the same game; just different levels. Dealing with the same hell; just different devils.

Wanted

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    Wings for Men by GBH seems to be closest to what CW is now, though I don't seek out these frags so there's likely some others. GIT is a violet/lavender with a touch of sweetness before you get to the base, whereas CW has strong neroli and obviously lavender but with a lot of sweetness and a hint of tobacco and jasmine.
    Wow, Bigsly. That was a really good description and comparison - you have a good nose!
    I wonder if it's the tobacco / jasmine combination that gives CW that 'powdery' note that I detect. Or it could just be the quality of the ingredients.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Beats me. I never notice the resemblance either and I've worn Cool Water before. Can't tolerate GIT though.

It was the legendary Fortesque (no longer a member) who first made the comparison back in the early days of Basenotes. It caused quite an uproar at the time. Many feel Fortesque made a breakthrough discovery, others don't see it. The controversy, obviously, lives on...

It was the first of many women who said to a guy wearing GIT, "You smell delightful. I have always loved Cool Water!"

My recollection - much to my embarrassment - is that I was among the early posters of threads about the two being very similar.
    I wasn't alone.
    I recollect Al/Ali (the first person to join Basenotes) commenting at around that time in passing (i.e. not as an individual thread), that the two were too similar to each other.
    Regards,
    Renato

Dependent

I think it's probably the massive dihydromyrcenol overdose that makes these similar -- some are very sensitive to this metallic-citrus-floral ingredient (like me) so that the rest of the composition is almost completely overshadowed.

CW and GIT part ways after 15 minutes to 30 minutes IMO.....JF by Floris and Chez Bond are also very close relatives.....At the end of the day my vote goes to Chez Bond by Bond No.9.....Bobby Jones is also very close but seems to be harder to find.....
    Gary

Basenotes Member

They are very, very, similar to me.
    Same with MI and Unforgiveable.

Banned
    Blog Entries

i get big similarities between git and cool water, but NOTHING tops the lemon opening of GIT that is so wonderful and beautiful.

git eventually goes down to earth as cool water gets better at drydown, closing the gap.

to the distinguished nose, there is a big difference. to 90% of noses, there is very little difference (when it comes to the drydown)

I'd say the notes of both scents did, while not start the comparison, make comments about their similarity arise, since a resemblance between the two is undeniable.

Quote Originally Posted by morrison74 View Post
    Bigsly, I've been meaning to ask you for ages; how do you avoid the top notes? Do you hold your nose till they're gone?

Back on topic: I do find CW & GIT to be quite similar, but mostly in the top / middle. I prefer GIT.
    I hold my breath, spray to the chest, walk out of the room, then blow on that area so that it dries faster. I turn my head when I take breath in so that I don't get too much of the top notes but of course you can't totally avoid them. These days I can usually detect some of them without getting that massive blast that caused me olfactory fatigue a few years ago.

As to the CW/GIT comparison, now I think I understand how it got started here. LT said CW has a "similar structure," so I took it for granted that there was widespread agreement on this idea. Now that I've had a chance to study these frags I think it's just a case of two very popular frags (among certain people, the "average joe" knowing nothing about GIT) being more similar to each other than other very popular frags (such as AdG).

Basenotes Junkie

To me, it wouldn't matter who started it because they smell so similar it's just an extremely obvious comparison. It's pretty clear that Cool Water was largely inspired by GIT, even if it's not an exact clone. I'll never understand the people who say they smell nothing alike. We must have entirely different noses, or live on different planets.

Pierre Bourdon.
    He made GIT for creed. It was one of those moments where somebody has a brilliant original idea which it is inevitable that others will use. But Cool Water was from the same nose not long after - a version with cheaper budget for ingredients but a more developed composition. Undoubtably the same idea though.

Here's a blind test of Cool Water, GIT and Chez Bond. It's easy for us to say how different they are, but in the real world, to most people, they're pretty similar. Chez Bond is the most different of the three, though personally, I don't care for it.

I've only worn GIT once, so I can't give a fair comparison, but I will say this: The one time I did wear GIT, I asked for an opinion from two women I'd met while waiting for a friend at a bar. I didn't tell them what I was wearing. I just told them I was trying something I found at Nordstrom and asked what they thought of it. One said she liked it. The other said it reminded her of when she first started dating her husband. She said something like "He always wore Cool Water. It was really common back then." Ouch.

...I wish more Nordstroms sold Creed.

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndBakeryAttack View Post
    To me, it wouldn't matter who started it because they smell so similar it's just an extremely obvious comparison. It's pretty clear that Cool Water was largely inspired by GIT, even if it's not an exact clone. I'll never understand the people who say they smell nothing alike. We must have entirely different noses, or live on different planets.
    But they smell nothing alike.
    Cheers,
    Renato

It's the way the violet leaf blends with the other notes. The opening in CW is harsh and GIT is smooth. The heart is where they smell most similar but GIT has more depth. The dry down is where they go in opposite directions. GIT's dry down is one of the best in the industry in my opinion. CW isn't even in the same universe.

Banned

I did.

A great question Bigsly! Still mind boggling really. I own CW and used to own GIT. Although I wanted to "agree with the masses" and did for some time, I go back to my original thoughts, they are nothing alike, and the comparison is ludicrous.
    My 3 Signature Scents:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)

As things stand, I could only go along with the possibility that they were the first two major frags to have a lot of dihydromyrcenol in them, though again calling GIT "major" or "popular" means among a small group of people. Yes, the "average" person may not be able to tell the difference, but what if you were known for wearing CW all the time and one day you wore Wings for Men? Could anyone tell the difference?

I think it may be appropriate to take LT to task, so to speak, on his CW/GIT reviews in the guide, in that there is no "similar structure" at all, IMO. They are totally different in that way. They may both be loaded up with dihydromyrcenol, but that is not a "structural" issue. We all get things wrong sometimes and I've made my share of "mistakes" with frags (my view is that it is the "nature of the beast" to perceive certain notes/molecules more clearly at times), but I find LT's opinion here to be indefensible.

Guerlainista

Quote Originally Posted by hirch_duckfinder View Post
    Pierre Bourdon.
    He made GIT for creed. It was one of those moments where somebody has a brilliant original idea which it is inevitable that others will use. But Cool Water was from the same nose not long after - a version with cheaper budget for ingredients but a more developed composition. Undoubtably the same idea though.
    Ii think this is exactly what happened. Davidoff's budget was lower, so the base had to change, but the top and heart are very similar.

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    I've only worn GIT once, so I can't give a fair comparison, but I will say this: The one time I did wear GIT, I asked for an opinion from two women I'd met while waiting for a friend at a bar. I didn't tell them what I was wearing. I just told them I was trying something I found at Nordstrom and asked what they thought of it. One said she liked it. The other said it reminded her of when she first started dating her husband. She said something like "He always wore Cool Water. It was really common back then."
    I had a very similar experience when I tested GIT. I have a sample that I've worn once. My wife and her sister both independently ID'ed it as Cool Water.

Maybe those who say not at all alike have just worn one or both so many times that the differences stand out much more. To the casual observer, they are pretty much the same. GIT and CW are the perfume equivalent of the 80's vintage Camaro and Trans Am.

Totally different, right?

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

Uh, no. Look at the note pyramids. Not much in common, not even the violet, which is so important to GIT. Moreover, CW is quite sweet, almost candy-like at times. "Dihydromyrcenol overload?" Certainly possible. But to argue anything else, you are saying that neroli and jasmine smell like violet, tobacco smells like ambergris, or something along those lines. Again, have someone smell Wings for Men one day and CW the next and ask them about it. See if they can tell the difference. Does Wings smell that much like GIT? Do a similar "experiment" with GIT and Bobby Jones Cologne. The point is that people will relate to the very popular frag. You could likely do something very similar with AdG and a whole bunch of frags that aren't especially similar. How many who claim that CW and GIT are similar have studied Wings, Bobby Jones Cologne, Joop! Nightflight, and all the other similar or "clone" type frags? Compare a Camaro to Cadillac and I'll agree !

Check it out:

"Green Irish Tweed vs. Cool Water - My Friends' Take"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMZpcz_8JaU

Guerlainista

Uh, no. Look at the note pyramids. Not much in common, not even the violet, which is so important to GIT. Moreover, CW is quite sweet, almost candy-like at times. "Dihydromyrcenol overload?" Certainly possible. But to argue anything else, you are saying that neroli and jasmine smell like violet, tobacco smells like ambergris, or something along those lines. Again, have someone smell Wings for Men one day and CW the next and ask them about it. See if they can tell the difference. Does Wings smell that much like GIT? Do a similar "experiment" with GIT and Bobby Jones Cologne. The point is that people will relate to the very popular frag. You could likely do something very similar with AdG and a whole bunch of frags that aren't especially similar. How many who claim that CW and GIT are similar have studied Wings, Bobby Jones Cologne, Joop! Nightflight, and all the other similar or "clone" type frags? Compare a Camaro to Cadillac and I'll agree !
    No offense intended Bigsly (seriously), but I don't put much stock in note pyramids - they are composed as marketing tools and don't generally reflect the most prominent notes. Neither one lists dihydromyrcenol, and yet it's there front and center in both. I don't believe that GIT actually contains any Mysore sandalwood or ambergris, and yet they are listed.

I don't doubt that many people find them to be very different. When I smelled GIT I identified it immediately as Cool Water - not as Joop or Bobby Jones or anything else. And I don't identify anything else as Cool Water. The one time I wore GIT, the two other people I asked about it also recognized it as CW. That's more significant than 2 fragrances that happen to be in the same general olfactory neighborhood. Maybe it's the dihydromrycenol overload - I don't know what that smells like. Whatever it is they have in common, it's pretty unique to those two and to the casual sniffer, it dominates both.

If you look only at the rims and the lights, they are totally different. Most people just see the sheet metal, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Jouho View Post
    Check it out:

"Green Irish Tweed vs. Cool Water - My Friends' Take"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMZpcz_8JaU
    Good attempt at considering the "common man" but as you found out you'll likely get "mixed results." Going back to 2007 just about everything smelled the same to me, I couldn't tell the difference between a sweet frag and a non-sweet one, etc. I think a lot of this depends upon what the person is "keying" on. There were times when sweetness "popped" for me, or lavender, or geranium, or that "pencil shavings"/"hamster cage" cedar note, etc. I'd guess dihydromyrcenol creates a kind of background "buzz" that people don't detect consciously but it makes them think the two are similar. These days, while some notes pop out, especially on the first wearing, I can usually get through that and detect several other notes.

I was recently criticized because I have compared several frags to Montana Parfum d'Homme. The reason is that it's got several major notes/accords that one finds in a lot of "men's" frags. If you can detect those, then it's easy to imagine removing one element or increasing another significantly, so I think it's a great frag to use for comparison purposes. With GIT, for example, the iris can kind of blend in quite a bit. It's dominated by the lavender/violet main accord and it tends to be good for smoothing out if used in small amounts. I get little lemon, but that's probably due to my attempts at top note avoidance (could also be the batch).

Over time the base gets a bit stronger while the opening weakens a bit. CW is never anything like this, not even slightly! And I find the note pyramid for CW to be about as accurate as any I've seen. The note pyramids, however, can't tell you things like how sweet a frag is or how much dihydromyercenol it has in it (or iso e super, or synthetic musk, etc), though if it has a "candy cane" note I think they would be suggesting it's really sweet (haven't seen that kind of note listed often). It may be that because I've focused so much on identifying notes in recent years they "pop" more than for other people, but "naturalness" pops for me these days as well, and for the most part I find note pyramids largely accurate, especially for older frags.

In any case, what I think is going on here is that there are very different ways a brain/mind can be "wired" to understand frags, but until a thorough study is done that compares many fragrances that are similar (plenty of CW "clones" one could use, for example), we won't know for sure. My guess is that if people constantly compare CW type frags they will detect differences, such as Nightflight being fruitier but missing some of CW's "mature" notes (probably lots of dihydromyrcenol in both), though otherwise being quite similar. I can't say that a bunch of "feminine" fruity/floral frags wouldn't all smell nearly identical to me now, for instance (one experiment I'm not that interested in doing, though I would if I had enough samples of them), because I have done little to study them.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 11th September 2012 at 05:58 AM.

I tried GIT, however never wore it side by side with Cool Water as to try to catch the difference. When I sprayed GIT, my reaction was - why give so much money for something that smells like Cool Water? That was it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zgb View Post
    I tried GIT, however never wore it side by side with Cool Water as to try to catch the difference. When I sprayed GIT, my reaction was - why give so much money for something that smells like Cool Water? That was it.
    Sounds like someone is planning a trip to the dollar store! LOL.

Seriously, when I tried "Our Version of Creed" there, my thought was that it was a simpler version of CW but had little resemblance to GIT.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 12th September 2012 at 01:23 AM.

Guerlainista

Good attempt at considering the "common man" but as you found out you'll likely get "mixed results." Going back to 2007 just about everything smelled the same to me, I couldn't tell the difference between a sweet frag and a non-sweet one, etc. I think a lot of this depends upon what the person is "keying" on. There were times when sweetness "popped" for me, or lavender, or geranium, or that "pencil shavings"/"hamster cage" cedar note, etc. I'd guess dihydromyrcenol creates a kind of background "buzz" that people don't detect consciously but it makes them think the two are similar. These days, while some notes pop out, especially on the first wearing, I can usually get through that and detect several other notes.

I was recently criticized because I have compared several frags to Montana Parfum d'Homme. The reason is that it's got several major notes/accords that one finds in a lot of "men's" frags. If you can detect those, then it's easy to imagine removing one element or increasing another significantly, so I think it's a great frag to use for comparison purposes. With GIT, for example, the iris can kind of blend in quite a bit. It's dominated by the lavender/violet main accord and it tends to be good for smoothing out if used in small amounts. I get little lemon, but that's probably due to my attempts at top note avoidance (could also be the batch).

Over time the base gets a bit stronger while the opening weakens a bit. CW is never anything like this, not even slightly! And I find the note pyramid for CW to be about as accurate as any I've seen. The note pyramids, however, can't tell you things like how sweet a frag is or how much dihydromyercenol it has in it (or iso e super, or synthetic musk, etc), though if it has a "candy cane" note I think they would be suggesting it's really sweet (haven't seen that kind of note listed often). It may be that because I've focused so much on identifying notes in recent years they "pop" more than for other people, but "naturalness" pops for me these days as well, and for the most part I find note pyramids largely accurate, especially for older frags.

In any case, what I think is going on here is that there are very different ways a brain/mind can be "wired" to understand frags, but until a thorough study is done that compares many fragrances that are similar (plenty of CW "clones" one could use, for example), we won't know for sure. My guess is that if people constantly compare CW type frags they will detect differences, such as Nightflight being fruitier but missing some of CW's "mature" notes (probably lots of dihydromyrcenol in both), though otherwise being quite similar. I can't say that a bunch of "feminine" fruity/floral frags wouldn't all smell nearly identical to me now, for instance (one experiment I'm not that interested in doing, though I would if I had enough samples of them), because I have done little to study them.
    Well, you've convinced me to go back and test GIT again. I'm nowhere near as discerning as many more experienced noses on BN, but I've gotten better in the last year. I don't doubt that I'll see more now.

I know what you mean about keying on certain notes. When I started, I couldn't see differences in many EdP and EdT versions of fragrances for the most part, because I just wasn't seeing past the family resemblance.

I started the comparison