Code of Conduct

Question Summer Evening Scent - Niche

Hello fellow basenoters,

I had to join the forum to ask my question. I've been lurking on the forums a lot, and have made some sample purchases based on mixed reviews, and stuff that I've read all over the place.

A little about myself to start, I've owned quite a few designer fragrances. I just recently got into the finer scents, and colognes, and because of the amount of scents available, I'm limiting myself to 4 colognes right now, two for each season. So far my list includes:

Versace pour Homme - Spring/Summer day
    Burberry London - Fall/Winter day
    Clive Christian X for Men - Fall/Winter night.

Obviously I'm missing a scent for the Spring/Summer evening and night time.

I have a list of samples I've gotten, and am planning to buy. To avoid confusion and too many choices, I think I've gotten my list down to a couple during the summer evenings and nights. Just need some help deciding based on what I have. I'm primarily looking for longevity and sillage, with a nice scent that'll bring in the ladies. Looking at one from a niche house, although I'm open to some designer. Just want something uncommon and amazing, fitting my requirements above.

I've recently tried samples of:

- YSL L'Homme - Smells amazing. On me, longevity is average 4-6 hours, which is ok. Doesn't project at all for me. I was using a sample sprayer from Sephora though, pretty crappy sprayer, so that may have been it?
    - Diesel Only the Brave - Not a fan.
    - CK Euphoria - Doesn't last long at all, nor does it project.

Sample List:
    - Creed Green Irish Tweed
    - Nasomatto Black Afgnano - I know that it may be too strong for summer evenings, I just wanted to try it.
    - Montale Blue Amber - I have really high hopes for this one because of longevity and sillage. Everyones given it pretty good reviews.
    - Montale Dark Aoud
    - Mark Birley for Men - Same as the black afgano.. it may not be suitable for summer, but one of those I thought I'd try.

Samples I'm thinking of:
    - Creed Millisime Imperial - Seems pretty popular for summer evenings with wearers, smellers, and girls
    - Montale Black Aoud
    - Montale Red Aoud

Very hard to just limit to 4, but because of budget and choice constraints, allowing me to create a "signature" with my peers, I'd like to choose one for the occasional nights out (maybe 5-6 uses a month). I've already selected my day scents.

Thanks for the help in advance!

Default Re: Summer Evening Scent - Niche

Perhaps Montale Santal Wood could be another possibility.

Just checked it out, not really a fan of the notes in that. Any from the list I have/am looking at?

I like to wear lighter, spicy florals for summer evenings. My faves:
    Odin 04 - Petrana
    Amouage Reflection Man
    Lumiere Noire pour Homme
    Rose 31, if you can handle the cumin

I also enjoy Idole de Lubin - the EDT really shines in the heat actually.

From your list, I rather enjoy Milesime imperial. Some of the Montales seem awful heavy for a summer night to me.

+1Lumiere Noire Pour Homme.
    Millesime Imperial would work great as a Summer Evening Scent
    Xerjoff 1861

Bizarrely the first fragrance that came to mind was Aftelier's Oud Luban - it's expensive, and a solid fragrance, but it's outstanding

Millesime Imperial is a fantastic summer evening scent. If you are looking at Comme de Garcons (as someone already suggested), I would check out Comme de Garcons 2, I like it better than 2 Man. Also, I own and love Blue Amber, but it may work better for colder temperatures.

Interesting, a lot of you guys have kind of confirmed what I already thought: Creed Millisime Imperial. I think I'll end up ordering a test vial of this. Thanks to the rest of you guys for your suggestions, but I think MI wins, just by the number of times it was mentioned in the thread.

Any word on sillage and longevity?

MI smells great, however if you need something to actually last though the night try Diors-Bois D'argent.
    "If you enjoy the fragrance of a rose, you must accept the thorns which it bears."
    -Isaac Hayes

What about GIT compared to MI?

And you guys wouldn't recommend something like Blue Amber or Red Aoud for a summer evening/night?

Dependent

creed santal!!!

Ended up going to Neiman Marcus to sample GIT, MI, and got a sample of Aventus. I'm going to look for splits for MI and Aventus.

If you could choose one for summer evenings and night, with good longevity and sillage, which would it be?

Aventus, D&G The One

Banned

Try:

Eau Illuminee by Delrae - One is initially treated to a gust of freshness from the invigorating melange of bittersweet bergamot and basil, with its lemony and slightly spicy greenness. Percolating a bit, this clean blend transitions to the waiting middle. Here, the minty clean aroma of lavender commingles with various herbs, and infuses the opening brew. Green and camphoraceous rosemary, earthy and verdant geranium as well as sharp lemon verbena work their wiles with this spic and span heart, while a tad of vanilla bobs about. Transitioning to the awaiting base, tonka bean encases the herbal concoction, and imparts its vanillic, freshly-mown lawn character and interplays with enabling, violet-like orris. A delicately laundered drydown ensues. This somewhat elegant composition leans heavily to the masculine side; and, although it can be considered an all-season scent, it will bloom in the spring and summer. A well-crafted fragrance with quality ingredients, it has good projection and longevity.

&

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bored4life View Post
    And you guys wouldn't recommend something like Blue Amber or Red Aoud for a summer evening/night?
    Red Aoud by Montale is a gourmand; however, lightly applied, it may work. This sexy and potent composition has very good longevity, 10-13 hours, and projection.

Quote Originally Posted by bored4life View Post
    Ended up going to Neiman Marcus to sample GIT, MI, and got a sample of Aventus. I'm going to look for splits for MI and Aventus.

If you could choose one for summer evenings and night, with good longevity and sillage, which would it be?
    Aventus.
    Last edited by dollars&scents; 12th September 2012 at 06:25 AM.

Thanks for the replies! I'll try Aventus and Millesime Imperial and give them a good run through, and probably end up ordering one of those since I'm liking both scents!