Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Cool Ineke "Floral Curiosities" Sweet William sample pass, USA only

The new "Floral Curiosities" fragrance, Sweet William, is now in Anthropologie stores and online.

Here is the information that came in my email:

Sweet William (Dianthus barbatus) is a clove-scented, fringed flower that is bi-colored in white/pink/red tones. Ineke has created a Sweet William soliflore fragrance that is ensconced by rich wood notes.

The fragrance opens with a peach note, then the Sweet William floralcy is further warmed with cinnamon, clove and cumin essential oils. The dominant wood notes are a blend of cedarwood, sandalwood and patchouli, softened with Bourbon vanilla.

Edit: to add that I didn't pick up on cumin, and the clove is muted, so don't let those notes put you off. It is pretty long lasting.

The store allowed me to decant samples for the purpose of passing around and reviewing.

I have 3 long glass dabber vials-- about 1.5 mls each.
    Each group will get one long vial, which should give everyone enough juice to test.

USA only.
    To participate you must have joined BN on or before Sept 1, 2012 and must have made at least 5 posts.
    It's okay to join even if you are in, or have been in, another sample pass.

Each member will test for about a week and then pass the package along to the next person. (You don't have to visit the post office to send the bubble mailer along to the next person in the group; $1.95 in stamps will do it. Bubble wrap + a bit of cardboard around the vial to prevent breakage is also good.)
    The final person in each group keeps the sample.

Please post your impressions, whatever they are. We all learn from this process, and people who read the thread will have a better idea of whether they want to check out the perfume for themselves.

Group 1:
    1. Twolf (who gave me suggestions for this pass)
    2. Schilling
    3. PerfumedLady

Group 2:
    1. kalli
    2. calilove
    3. bookhouseshell

Group 3:
    1. bookwyrmsmith
    2. pinkjewel
    3. cestrum nocturnum

Slot #1 members, please PM your name and mailing address to me if I don't have it already.
    Slot #2 and #3 in each group can message their name and address to the person who will be shipping to them.

I will update this post as people join.

Who's in?
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 27th September 2012 at 06:49 PM. Reason: updates

Default Re: Ineke "Floral Curiosities" Sweet William sample pass, USA only

OOoh! I've been wanting to try this!!! Could I get squeezed in? Thanks so much!

Blog Entries

Done!

Thanks! Hope to get you back on your kindness!

30R., please put kalli after me -- and kalli please PM me with everything I have promised to send to you -- I know for sure I want to share one of the Floral Curiosities sample with you, Briar Rose. If it is all right with you both?

Blog Entries

I changed the order per Twolf's request, kalli, so she could send you more samples.

Oh well, someone,, hooked me up with a Briar Rose sample! My first sampling from the FC line. You don't need to send me anything T! It's all good! I think I ended up testing a couple of the ones I mentioned in that thread a while back. No worries!
    Last edited by kalli; 12th September 2012 at 02:51 AM.

Kalli, is it all right with you? I have got your address already.

Thanks, 30R.

- - - Updated - - -

Too late, I have seen your response.

Blog Entries

Back the way we were, LOL!

My daughter is doing homework on the desktop computer and I'm on her laptop, just checking in every 20 minutes or so to save the battery.

Sorry about the musical chairs 30R, sorry guys! Sorry T.

May I try ,please?
    Fragrance Omnivore

Would someone last from the queue would be this good and send me some leftovers of it to Poland? Don't need much, few drops would be enough to try and make an opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bookwyrmsmith View Post
    May I try ,please?
    I've put you at the head of group 3. Now that we have our first 3 members, I will ship the samples today. As more members join, I will update the shipping order lists in the original post.

Quote Originally Posted by lucasai View Post
    Would someone last from the queue would be this good and send me some leftovers of it to Poland? Don't need much, few drops would be enough to try and make an opinion.
    ((lucasai)) Sometimes by the time the last person in each group gets the package, evaporation has claimed part of their share, which in this case is 0.5ml at best-- not very much for anyone to test, even less than a Luckyscent sample would be (and we all know how small those are.) That said, what the final group members choose to do with their portion is their own business; they can share it if they wish.

We still have 6 slots open!

update: I mailed the 3 small packets.

- - - Updated - - -

Bump to get 6 more members to test this....
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 12th September 2012 at 12:45 PM.

So, I heard that there will be travel sprays available this fall through Anthro. of the FC line? Still not available on the site though. I hope it's true that they will be offering those.

May I join,please??

Blog Entries

Yes, I'll add you to group 3 for geographical proximity. Please PM your address to bookwyrmsmith when you can.

5 more places open!

I'm in!
    Thanks,
    Alex in Chicago

Blog Entries

Ok, Schilling, I'll put you in Group 1; will you kindly PM your name and mailing address to Twolf (or to me, and I'll forward it.)

4 spots still open!

Well, I got the Sweet William! And to my surprise, Ineke sent a Hothouse Flower sample as well, it was Ineke day! Well, the Sweet W... it's pretty soft and tender, soliflore, not too spicy. It's a really soft floral. I don't get a lot of carnation? Or at least true carnation. I guess sweet william flowers and carnations are similar, I've never smelled a sweet william flower though. I get more of a white and pink floral...not necessarily carnation though. Slightly sweet fragrance. Not a deep scent like a true carnation has..this scent is lighter. Not complex at all. I was expecting this to be more spicy but I honestly don't get a lot of spice from it. The spice is definitely there but the cinnamon and clove are light to my nose..and I was hoping for more spice for sure. It's just a delicate floral..with a light hand with the spice. It's a bit woody on the dry down..I don't smell a lot of patch...it's barely there. Most notes seem done with a light hand...with the exception of the floral. Floral is the most dominant note...but it's a delicate floral. I don't get a lot of peach, I get a little bit of peach. It's not a super ripe, sweet peach either. I was hoping for more peach for sure. Cause the florals kick in pretty quickly after the peach note. I think this would be a good wedding scent..it's light, floral, pretty. No notes overpower each other. Those looking for a true, red carnation may not find it in this scent. Cause I don't. I get a white floral and pink. It's really well blended though. The dry down is nice. So far, I much prefer her A-H line rather than the FC line. Someone told me that the SW is like an Evening Edged In Gold..I would say the sweetness and a little bit of the spice to it is similar but I don't see other similarities. It kind of has a background or signature of Evening perhaps. Evening is much more stronger and sweeter. Evening is also on my Christmas wish list.

Would I buy it? I would have to think about it..when I very first sniffed this..I was like 'oh yeah, I dig'. Cause it has a nice sweetness about it that I really like and I could tell it was an Ineke scent. I would have to test it again to see if it's full bottle worthy for me.

Hothouse Flower..well, it sure is a wallop of gardenia. I want to like gardenias..I like that coconut-y thing going on with them but they smell too condensed and creamy, I don't like that. HH, it's nice for a gardenia..but I can't do gardenia, especially in those big of doses. I will save my sample for Mims, I know she would probably love this..so when she gets back..she will have something lovely to sniff. If you like gardenias..HH is a must have. Must. It's well done. Even if gardenias aren't my thing. I do like that tea note in there..I hope she uses it again for something else! I basically get a very slight, earthy tea note and then all gardenia.
    Last edited by kalli; 15th September 2012 at 01:05 AM.

Can I join in if I paypall the shipping costs?

Blog Entries

Suga,

It is good of you to offer, yet cost is not my primary objection to sending samples out of the USA. It's not so very costly to send a sample. The risk of loss is also not an issue if the international recipient is the last in line to receive.

My main objection to including internationals in these groups is that I don't like to ask USA members to lie on Customs forms (this is a legal document that we have to sign, after all.)

Additionally, many people can't get to the post office during the week due to the inconvenient hours (closing time is 5 p.m.) and have to spend their Saturday doing it, when they may have had other plans. It's easy to mail a packet within the country without a trip to the P.O., but not so international packets.

However, if any of the other group members wish to take on the responsibility of shipping to Canada-- or Poland, to Lucasai-- then they can speak up and I will put the two of you into open #3 slots. Otherwise, I'm going to leave this a USA-only group. I am reserving the #2 slot in group 2 for a USA member for now.

Dependent

can i join?
    1. Dior Homme Original
    2. Musc Ravaguer
    3. Portrait of a Lady
    4. Noir de Noir
    5. L Instant Guerlain pour Homme Extreme
    6. New Haarlem
    7. Pure Coffee
    8. Blu Mediterraneo Sicilian Almond
    9. Rose 31
    10. Spiritueuse Double Vanille

Blog Entries

Yes, I'll put you in the #2 slot for group 2!
    Please PM your name/address to kalli.

3 places still open!

I'd love a spot! Was waiting to see if this filled up quickly before I got grabby!

I'll be mailing to Lucasai in a month or so, will be happy to include Sweet William at that time.
    The nose wants what it wants!

Blog Entries

Okay, PerfumedLady, I'll put you into group 1.

2 slots still open!

kalli, while we are all laughing and playing, you have improved! I am reading this here thread and another one about Orange Blossom -- looky look atcha! -- you who always say "idk, if I can write much and stuff, idk" -- are doin' like a pro.

30R., I will check my mailbox tomorrow, OK? We were out of town, just dragged our bodies back.

Package arrived here today!
    First impressions -This is a light floral in a Floris or Penhalligon's style.It has some cinnamon/clove to it and( judging by the droplet that got on my finger while uncapping the vial )it seems to have about a three foot throw(my brother could smell it from his seat across from the couch as we were watching TV tonight. Longevity -so far three hours but it has faded a bit (however it probably has better longevity/sillage with proper application amount/location -fingertips get used/rubbed more than wrists and necks do!)
    I'll try to do a proper test and have it posted to Pinkjewel within the week. I will need her to Private Message me her address though!
    Fragrance Omnivore

Lol, thanks T. I think it's cause I've got a real thing with o. blossom and Ineke, perhaps why I got a bit more chatty, lol. I was really wanting a red carnation, heavy on the spice..but I will have to seek elsewhere for that. I was looking forward to sniffing this as I was like, 'oooh perhaps a modern take on the carnation perhaps', only to find no carnation. Bellodgia seems like it would be musky..I don't want musk with my carnation, thanks. Also, don't want green like CDG. Oh well, the search remains.

The FC line(from the ones I've sniffed) seems more restrained..probably to suit the Anthropolgie retailer. As I appreciate the notes..I would like to see them in her own, special A-H+ style. I would love for Ineke to do carnation and jasmine focused fumes/soliflores in her A-H+ line. Especially, after sniffing Hothouse. So, I really, really, really hope that "J" in her line ends up being a jasmine. Or "I" Indole? Lol. I would seriously consider blind buying a jasmine or carnation in her line! But no tuberose, please, no tuberose lol! I am really looking forward to her next release, whatever that may be.

She did Jasmine in Floral Curiosities, called Poetic Jasmine. Fleeting, green and sweet, I was not impressed, at all. Not at that price.

I would like to try this, if I haven't gotten in trouble with my dubious response to JM Blackberry & Bay. Thank you 30 Roses!

Blog Entries

I've added you after calilove-- please PM your name and mailing address to him.

No one can get in trouble on any of my sampling threads for posting their honest opinion! Because for sure there is no fragrance that is loved by everyone! If I were to post a list of all the highly-respected perfumes that I can't stand to wear, it would make for a long post indeed.

We still have room for one more member.

Picked mine up yesterday, could not inform as BN was down. *sigh*

iTrader police are getting upset again, kalli and bookwyrmsmith!
    Last edited by Twolf; 18th September 2012 at 06:30 PM.

Remedied the iTrader rating Twolf!
    Fragrance Omnivore

Thanks for not getting upset at them, bookwyrm. 30R. was definitely not. She is just a glad sharer, I have heard.

Blog Entries

Let me just state my personal feelings about iTrader feedback and these sample passes.

Any sort of thanks/acknowledgement, whether on the thread, in a private message or on iTrader, is fine with me. Basically, I just want to know that you got your sample, that the package actually reached you.

If you've already done that in any form, please don't feel obligated to give feedback as well. For me, that is thanks layered upon thanks, and not necessary.

But I do love your good intentions, Twolf!

Package arrived here today!
    First impressions -This is a light floral in a Floris or Penhalligon's style.It has some cinnamon/clove to it and( judging by the droplet that got on my finger while uncapping the vial )it seems to have about a three foot throw(my brother could smell it from his seat across from the couch as we were watching TV tonight. Longevity -so far three hours but it has faded a bit (however it probably has better longevity/sillage with proper application amount/location -fingertips get used/rubbed more than wrists and necks do!)
    I'll try to do a proper test and have it posted to Pinkjewel within the week. I will need her to Private Message me her address though!
    Hi- I sent a pm to you a few days ago with my address right before Basenotes went down-did you get it as I haven't heard back from you?

I got it and saved it in my email folder too! Sorry I didn't reply back ,but the package will be posted today (or tomorrow at the very latest!)
    Fragrance Omnivore

I know..I just completely forgot...I've been meaning to do that and was going to. But hey, I didn't forget with the JM pass.. I will blame it on BN being down?. It's rather distracting when that happens. That and all my sniffings lately, lol.
    Last edited by kalli; 21st September 2012 at 05:09 PM.

I got it and saved it in my email folder too! Sorry I didn't reply back ,but the package will be posted today (or tomorrow at the very latest!)
    OK-great! Just wanted to make sure that it wasn't lost in cyberspace when the site went down.

Oh yes, I finally got it sniffed/tested/worn.

It is not worth the price they are asking. As beautiful and light and warm as peach+cinnamon+sandalwood want to be, there is not enough carnation/dianthus in it to fully justify the name. For a better deal, I would stick with Ellen Tracy and Sira des Indes de Patou, overlapping in some elements with Sweet William. Out of the whole Ineke line, only Curiosities are somewhat interesting with none of the main collection (A--G) working on this skin. That said, I am a happy owner of Briar Rose bottle -- I was specifically looking for a jammy sweet rose with raspberry undertones and this Ineke has satisfied my quest.

Ok, then I guess I wasn't the only one who didn't get carnation. I know, you finally got your rose. I remember musk and Tresor Midnight Rose was a bust(for both of us I think?). lol. Totally disappointed with that one.

I haven't sniffed Poet's Jasmine. Green? I don't want a green jasmine. I still want to try it though. But green? Bummer. Her A-H line seems like a place for a nice, unrestrained jasmine. Hothouse is not light on the gardenia by any means. I little spritz lasts a really good while too.

Non-descript green at the beginning, becoming sweet with both articulum and sambac, and then card-boardy dusty-musty, my least favorite of the whole Curiosities offerings.

Sweet W. went out today...on it's way to Calilove.

Blog Entries

Just a bump to say we still have one opening.

Anyone else in USA want to try this?

Oh, I thought this was closed! Well, perhaps today is my lucky day? If there is still room, I'd love to sniff.

Blog Entries

Okay, you are in and the pass is now closed to new members!

Quote Originally Posted by cestrum nocturnum View Post
    Oh, I thought this was closed! Well, perhaps today is my lucky day? If there is still room, I'd love to sniff.
    Hi,
    When you have a chance pm me your address so I know where to send it. I haven't received the sample yet, but will post as soon as it arrives.

Dependent

recieved two days ago. sorry i havent posted on here to let you guys know. school has got me swamped!! im not on basenotes as much as i like to be. going to give it a smell today an have it shipped tomorrow
    1. Dior Homme Original
    2. Musc Ravaguer
    3. Portrait of a Lady
    4. Noir de Noir
    6. New Haarlem
    7. Pure Coffee
    9. Rose 31

Blog Entries

That's okay calilove, school comes first!

Give yourself a couple of days with the sample.

I have not mailed mine out yet: same reason -- school! Sorry, will try tomorrow or Saturday. Will enclose Briar Rose sample too, not to look that bad.

No rush, Twolf! Schilling let me know that she is out of town for a few days and I'm in no hurry, either. Mail when it's convenient for you; we'll still get it done in a timely manner. You could never look bad!
    The nose wants what it wants!

Hi bookwyrmsmith!!! Just wondering if you've had time to mail the sample,yet?

- - - Updated - - -

Just received my sample today!! Thank you, bookwyrmsmith for all the little extras,too!! Took a brief sniff, but will try it out over the weekend and post my thoughts then.

I have mailed mine out today. Sorry about the delay, I have enclosed a forgive me token, a lagniappe.

Dictionary.com is one of my favorite sites.
    Thanks for sending me there and increasing my cajun vocabulary!

Dependent

finally wore it today. will be shipping tomorrow. did not like it though gave me a headache........ i think ill stick to roses when it comes to women frags
    1. Dior Homme Original
    2. Musc Ravaguer
    3. Portrait of a Lady
    4. Noir de Noir
    6. New Haarlem
    7. Pure Coffee
    9. Rose 31

Blog Entries

I have to chuckle a bit...I don't think a single one of us likes this fragrance!

Dependent

i cant get it off my skin!!!!! i rubbed alcohol on it 4 times already an its still there.......... help!!!!!
    1. Dior Homme Original
    2. Musc Ravaguer
    3. Portrait of a Lady
    4. Noir de Noir
    6. New Haarlem
    7. Pure Coffee
    9. Rose 31

Lol, poor calilove..try some soap and water? I kind of dig it..just no carnation. Keeps me from wanting a fb a bit. Limited editions are frustrating too.

I did like it ,and I am considering ordering the travel size from Anthropologie. It reminded me of Penhaligons Bluebell minus the "salad note " in the topnotes.
    Sorry I took a couple of extra days -I got stung by a yellowjacket and had an icepack on my hand most of the weekend.I tried to make up for it with extras.
    Fragrance Omnivore

Dependent

i poured baby oil on it then drank to forget about it.........
    1. Dior Homme Original
    2. Musc Ravaguer
    3. Portrait of a Lady
    4. Noir de Noir
    6. New Haarlem
    7. Pure Coffee
    9. Rose 31