Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Plus

Default Lubin Idole EDT vs EDP

Just received a sample of the EDP and like it. Would like to hear some thoughts on the EDT vs. EDP.

Default Re: Lubin Idole EDT vs EDP

Personally I find the EDT much better than the EDP which is too sweet, has less leathery vibe but I did notice that the EDP had better longevity and projection.

As someone who bought the EDP and immediately swapped it for a cheaper and less full EDT, I can recommend the EDT WAY more.

The EDP is anything but subtle with it's composition, almost in an annoying way it constantly reminds you it's there with it's cloying sweetness.

The EDT feels more refined, almost as if they released them in the opposite order. The sweetness is actually more sugary, which to me was much less cloying. You're also able to pick out the notes without being blasted with the overly loud booziness and sweetness. I actually didn't even pick up on half of what was listed, and in the EDT you get a delicate mixture of booze, orangey citrus, woods, saffron, and just the perfect amount of sweet.

I almost gave up on Idole after smelling the EDP, I'm glad I was able to give it another chance with the EDT. It's surprising how much better it is. (to me of course)

Power Where You Need It

I'm another one who prefer the EDT which has a completely outstanding balance. It was pure brilliance while the EDP smells something like a partially successful remix of a seminal song...all the main elements are still there, the song still sort of works but, somewhat, it has lost the "magic"...
    Last edited by alfarom; 12th September 2012 at 08:31 AM.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

I've been wearing the EdP a lot recently and if anything it's a real compliment getter. Many people seem to prefer the EdT but I really can't notice too much of a difference, though it's been about a year since I tried the EdT.

Basenotes Junkie

I've only tried the EDT - and really fell for it. Wonder if I can find it when going out of country in a couple of weeks (Krakow Poland - I doubt it somehow). Having my fingers crossed though.

I guess I wish the EDP was "just" the EDT with prolonged longevity - but apparently it's not - and what I want and NEED is the EDT - so EDT it is

Honestly, I don't have longevity problems with the EDT, and the EDP only hangs around with it's sweetness on me, which is the most unpleasant part of it.

I have both and enjoy both. Don't have any problem with either as far as longevity. Actually don't notice that much of a difference between the two.

Sound Scents

Love both near equally, but prefer the edp.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie

EDP has better longevity but the EDT is more balanced so its up to how many times you want to apply. I do love this fragrance and will probably buy a bottle myself.

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    I'm another one who prefer the EDT which has a completely outstanding balance. It was pure brilliance while the EDP smells something like a partially successful remix of a seminal song...
    This!

I prefer the EDT.

The EDP felt too heavy and syrupy.

I don't know why but the composition was perfected in the EDT. It is well balanced in the proportion of notes used but the EDP felt too intense. Maybe if she hadn't created an EDT, we would have liked or even loved the EDP but comparing it to the EDT, it lacks finesse.

for swap/sale:

I'm going to have to try the EDT as I like the EDP but it does get a little too sweet as time goes by.

The EdP is very close, to my nose, to Al Oudh from L'artisan Parfumeur, which I prefer, so my vote goes for the EdT.
    aBr
    thefraglife.blogspot.com

Basenotes Plus

Thanks for all your reply's. Looks like it is time to add the EDT to the collection, although at some point may add the EDP just to have that great looking bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by AirBureau View Post
    The EdP is very close, to my nose, to Al Oudh from L'artisan Parfumeur, which I prefer, so my vote goes for the EdT.
    *gasp* WHAT?! Al Oudh and Idole de Lubin EdP are similar to your nose??

I have a sample of the EdT on the way, once it arrives I'll do a side by side with my EdP. I bought my bottle of EdP based on my sampling of the EdT assuming the EdP was simply a stronger concentration. Even after I found out there was a slight reformulation I didn't notice much of a difference. If after a side by side comparison I prefer the EdT I'll get a bottle of that too, can never have enough Idole! The nose who made these Idole perfumes is fiercely talented too.

From the Non-Blonde:

Six years later we meet again. Idole EDP is a changed perfume. Stronger, fuller and more reliable. I smell less cumin and more leather, the rum is sweeter and the incense smokier. It's all I ever wanted Idole to be, and here it is- more brooding, taller but familiar. I want to bury my face in its warmth, wrap it over my shoulder and breath the dark woody aroma.

In asking her to create Idole EDP, Lubin allowed perfumer Olivia Giacobetti to make things right, to let Idole become what it was meant to be. It's one of the best incense perfumes around, romantic and mysterious.

To me, Idole de Lubin sits alongside Jub XXV as one of the most perfect and opulent incense fragrances out there. XXV is more of a comforting scent (cozy incense and berries) whereas Idole is a bit more daring, dark and boozy.

What's the story with the EDT in the African themed bottle? Has it been discontinued to make way exclusively for the EDP?

I was wondering the same thing - I have a feelng it's gone, or on the way out, or something along those lines . . .
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'”
    ― Isaac Asimov

Quote Originally Posted by Duke Hunt View Post
    What's the story with the EDT in the African themed bottle? Has it been discontinued to make way exclusively for the EDP?
    Yes.

for swap/sale:

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Duke Hunt View Post
    Yes the EDT was discontinued last year.

That sucks

I thought I heard that it was being re-formulated and pending re-release. Maybe that's just wishful thinking.

I always thought that the EDT was their best seller for some reason.

Shame, I'll have to go through my bottle cautiously.

IMO the EDP is better