Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Default Batch variations other houses...

OK, I have been following a tragically funny thread about batch numbers of Creed Aventus, and another thread I started about variations in Amouage Tribute. SO... How often have you run into this? Any other houses/frags do this to you? am NOT talking about reformulations here...we all know they mostly suck...I mean variations within current batches. I suppose like a food recipe, freshness of ingredients, and variations in growing conditions can cause the dish not to taste the same from one time to the next..
    Last edited by Possum-Pie; 5th October 2012 at 12:10 AM.
    For Sale: VINTAGE Montales

Default Re: Batch variations other houses...

My nose never seems to pick up differences from one batch to another in any fragrance.

A lot probably comes down to Creed owners projecting onto their very high-end purchases. Kinda like trying out two frags, one you own and another you don't, and arguing yourself into preferring the one you own even if they're identical, just because doing otherwise degrades your own purchase decision. Moreso with premium houses. Throw in complex scents that may change with the wearer, unknown storage and transport processes, and I usually believe believe this whole "batch" thing is just a normal machination of premium-paying fans.

But that's just me. I've never run into any strange differences that aren't likely attributed to simple age/handling/common cold symptoms.

Never experienced it or heard of it outside Creed frags and the recent Amouage Tribute & Homage batch variations.

I've noticed differences in fragrances, I'd assume though these exist because of reformulations or because of the different age/storage of the bottles. I have 2 bottles each of Gentleman and Mitsouko and they all seem to smell slightly different. Smell good though, so no complaints.

Quote Originally Posted by Rüssel View Post
    I've noticed differences in fragrances, I'd assume though these exist because of reformulations or because of the different age/storage of the bottles. I have 2 bottles each of Gentleman and Mitsouko and they all seem to smell slightly different. Smell good though, so no complaints.
    My thoughts exactly, although my thoughts are to do with Terre d' Hermes in the EdT form. Could the more recent 'orange peel' scent that people go on about be a reformulation or age/storage of bottles? I always remember this scent as being grapefruit-galore with no orange scent whatsoever.

Blog Entries

I tend to think it is mostly psychological, but all the universal consensus with Creed lately does make me wonder. I'd love to see a double-blind study where all the batches of Aventus were lined up, and see if people can actually pick out the variants. I know our noses can play tricks on us...I have sprayed myself with a cologne I own, and said, that just doesn't smell right today. the next week...it's fine again.
    For Sale: VINTAGE Montales

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    My nose never seems to pick up differences from one batch to another in any fragrance.
    I'm in this camp and glad for it... saves alot of hand-wringing and other such tendencies in this ocd-laden pastime.
    Simplex Sigillum Veri

I smell batch variations in every house. It's more discernable when there's more natural ingredients in the scent. It's just the nature of raw materials vary from year to year, and even month to month. It's something noses' and perfume houses have dealt with since the first perfume ever made.

It's just impossible not to have batch variations. There's nothing psychological about it at all. Talk with any nose, it's common knowledge.

I just got a new bottle of Invasion Barbare, and it's much lighter and transparent than my previous bottle. In fact it's so different, I don't even care for it too much. Now my old bottle with just a little remaining still blowns my mind. It packs a wallop, and the new one is wimpy, and smells like a reformulation, and it's probably not one.
    Last edited by thebeck; 12th September 2012 at 03:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Possum-Pie View Post
    I tend to think it is mostly psychological, but all the universal consensus with Creed lately does make me wonder. I'd love to see a double-blind study where all the batches of Aventus were lined up, and see if people can actually pick out the variants. I know our noses can play tricks on us...I have sprayed myself with a cologne I own, and said, that just doesn't smell right today. the next week...it's fine again.
    Unfortunately, all perfumes age, and there will still be some differences, so a true double-blind study will have its difficulties. Vintage/old perfumes (without reformulations) are often described as richer and more concentrated. Older perfumes also have their top notes off (especially for citrus oils).

Interestingly, I remember threads where BNoters have commented that after some time (and some 'oxidation'), their bad batches of Creed Aventus improve!