Code of Conduct

Default Pure Leather....its better then bad its good!

but not great! if there was a touch more spicy pumpkiny anisee tea for two tobacco vanillaey kinda smell in there it woulda been great......too bad cuz its close to great. I wish it was a little more goumand. it gets nicer when it drys down.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

my stuff for sale!
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=223916

Default Re: Pure Leather....its better then bad its good!

Decent stuff, but far too similar to the original to warrant a purchase.

I think it's pretty good and glad I bought it.

Anyone know what the story is on a UK release?

Im getting a lot of l'instant vibe from it so far. Not so sure i'll be hanging on to this one. Three hours in and still...l'instant.

Quote Originally Posted by paradigm View Post
    Im getting a lot of l'instant vibe from it so far. Not so sure i'll be hanging on to this one. Three hours in and still...l'instant.
    And that's a bad thing?
    Summer 2014 favorites

1. Terre d'Hermes Eau Tres Fraiche (orange)
    2. Dueto Citiver (Vetiver)
    3. Dior Homme Sport 2012 (Citron)
    4. Lalique Encre Noire Sport (Woody)
    5. Dior Homme Eau (Iris)
    6.Chanel Allure Edition Blanche

7. Cartier Roadster (Mint)
    8. Joop Splash (Fruity)
    9. Lanvin L'homme Sport (Petitgrain))
    10. Jesus Del Pozo Adventure Quasar (Gin)

the drydown turned to total plain ole Amen.....its like missing a dimension that malt and Havana have.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

my stuff for sale!

I am getting a sample in the the next couple of days. I have liked and always wanted A*men so if it is similar with leather, than this could be a go for me.

Quote Originally Posted by paradigm View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by silentrich View Post
    And that's a bad thing?
    That might be a good reason for me to buy it, otherwise I'd skip this one if it's too similar to the original.

it smells pretty much like just amen....I get no leather at all. something is smoothing out the amen vibe I guess thats leather...but it smells pretty much like a better smoother version of amen......This is more like how pure coffee almost smells only like amen....
    I would rather wear this then plain amen...its not bad its just missing something to take it to the PM level......
    They could have called this pure anything else.....pure cotton....and I wouldnt say this smells like leather...it smells like smooth amen.

my stuff for sale!

Quote Originally Posted by dredmahawkus View Post
    but not great! if there was a touch more spicy pumpkiny anisee tea for two tobacco vanillaey kinda smell in there it woulda been great......too bad cuz its close to great. I wish it was a little more goumand. it gets nicer when it drys down.
    Pure Pumpkin. Candy corns and incense with a health dose of patchouli. The bottle will be orange and black with cut out evil pumpkin eyes and teeth.
    Summer 2014 favorites

5. Dior Homme Eau (Iris)

8. Joop Splash (Fruity)

Tired Pure Leather today. Seems a lot like the original AMEN. The tar note is less so it's smoother overall. Lasts a long time. Dry down is the same / similar as AMEN. Don't think I will buy a bottle as it's too similar to the original.

What I don't understand, as previously stated on this forum, is why Mugler does not release the other hits as regular stock....Malt, Coffee, etc. It's annoying, it's not like this hobby / interest is a life or death experience. Let the consumer enjoy your products. Mugler, can you not find an honest non-controlling way to sell your products?

Anyway, the leather addition is the smoother version of the original with no hint of leather.
    Nothing wrong with it at all. If you have the original you don't really "need" this. If you don't have the original then try both as you may like the opening of one over the other. 10 minutes after you spray it wont really matter which one you purchased.

I have had this on for like 4 hours already today.....and while it smelled just like amen all morning....now after 4 hours its turning into like a amen/dzing combo......like has that vanilla dzing vibe added to the amen in the base notes.

my stuff for sale!

Blind bought 2 bottles. It's not bad, but way too close to the original, and very little leather. I was really hoping for a Leather version of what they did with Malt and Tobacco with those flankers.

They really should have tweaked it a bit more to make it more unique and leather-y. They didn't. Not a disappointment, just nothing they didn't already have. And nothing I didn't already have.

Will be waiting for the next one. Pure Oud? Pure Incense? Whatever it will be, I will be there...
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Pure White Cologne
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Tom Ford - Grey Vetiver
    by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    5. Clive Christian - 1872
    6. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    7. Xerjoff - Nio
    8. Neela Vermeire - Bombay Bling
    9. The Different Company - De Bachmakov
    10. Chanel - Allure Homme Edition Blanche

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post

Will be waiting for the next one. Pure Oud? Pure Incense? Whatever it will be, I will be there...
    Haha , so will I. I have not received my PL order yet but still eagerly awaiting the postman. The Mugler pure line as evolved into a must have sub-collection of my wardrobe.
    "If you enjoy the fragrance of a rose, you must accept the thorns which it bears."
    -Isaac Hayes

I thought the first minute or so was nice....but nothing at all that we have not smelled in Angel or A*Men. Then the plastic/rubber/crude-oil/leather phase is just shameful. Then it dries down the a very similar A*Men smell with a hint of creamy, lightly spiced, cheesecake or mascarpone cheese pastry. Like a cheese coffee cake, cheese Danish, Bavarian creme powdered donut.

It ranks pretty low on my Pure Flanker list.
    I feel Pure Havane was the best in terms of overall smell at every stage. And I feel Taste of Fragrance was the best of them all TEXTURALLY and for originality.

I'm so glad to be able to detect a pretty pronounced leather note throughout the entire duration of my wearing.

The initial blast reminds of me A*Men but the difference is very noticeable after 5 min.

It's a shame this is getting such mixed reviews!

Everyone is trying to play Simon Bar Sinister with this fragrance. Plain and simple, this is A men with a synthetic leather vibe! The mid notes are the only time this fragrance strays away from A men. The dry down?............A men. Let's be real people, do you really feel this stuff is worth $88.00? If so, I got a few bridges for sale.

Oh what the christ? I've been avoiding this board for months because it makes me part with my money, and now I just pop in for a second before paying some bills and I just lost 90 dollars...

So, anyway, how's the tar? I hope it isn't a sinusitis bomb like the original. I can't wear AMEN anymore because about twenty minutes after I spray it I become a mouth breathing asshole and can't smell anything. I can wear every other Pure flanker with impunity and they are very gentle on my nose, so take that into consideration when answering my question.

Thanks in advance

I'm on the fence with this one. To my (untrained) nose it really does smell just like Amen. I get very little 'leather', certainly not In the same vein as Tuscan Leather that's for sure. It does change slightly in the dry down, but to be honest it's too similar to amen for me. Maybe a little smoother as others have said.
    Btw I got this at Gatwick duty free for those uk peeps wondering where it's available...

Quote Originally Posted by Sunsetspawn View Post
    Oh what the christ? I've been avoiding this board for months because it makes me part with my money, and now I just pop in for a second before paying some bills and I just lost 90 dollars...

So, anyway, how's the tar? I hope it isn't a sinusitis bomb like the original. I can't wear AMEN anymore because about twenty minutes after I spray it I become a mouth breathing asshole and can't smell anything. I can wear every other Pure flanker with impunity and they are very gentle on my nose, so take that into consideration when answering my question.

Thanks in advance

its just like amen....but its like slightly smoother maybe a bit more goumand and missing the harshness of regular amen.....but on the other hand you would swear it just smells like amen. the drydown is a little more vanilla then the original...its like slightly sweeter and slightly smoother....but yet still smells just like amen all the way through...not like how PH and PM is like a different fragrance yet resembles the original....this one is all original just slightly improved.....well I think improved anyway I didnt like the harshness the original has. if that makes any sense lol

my stuff for sale!

I just got this today and really like it. The leather note isn't in your face but definitely there. It actually smells like a new leather glove to me. None of the tar like the original. Yes it dries down similar to the original but that isn't a bad thing.
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

I sampled and liked this very much.....Gary

Quote Originally Posted by AZsmells View Post
    I just got this today and really like it. The leather note isn't in your face but definitely there. It actually smells like a new leather glove to me. None of the tar like the original. Yes it dries down similar to the original but that isn't a bad thing.
    Exactly, the drydown of A*Men is among the best. Ever.

Quote Originally Posted by dredmahawkus View Post
    its just like amen....but its like slightly smoother maybe a bit more goumand and missing the harshness of regular amen.....but on the other hand you would swear it just smells like amen. the drydown is a little more vanilla then the original...its like slightly sweeter and slightly smoother....but yet still smells just like amen all the way through...not like how PH and PM is like a different fragrance yet resembles the original....this one is all original just slightly improved.....well I think improved anyway I didnt like the harshness the original has. if that makes any sense lol
    Hmmmm, sounds like I'll be buying it then. I actually also need to check out the original again. My bottle of A Men is vintage, and that has that broooTAL tar blast that renders my nose useless, but I've heard that they've toned it down a bit.

The opening...yes very much Amen in the first 5 minutes. After that and through the middle I get spearmint/anise which is what I am struggling to stear my perception away from. I am guessing it could be anise which is what I associate with L'instant and wonder if this was what was supposed to simulate leather as I find none. After a few wearings I do like it a little better and enjoy the drydown quite well. I find the drydown much friendlier than in Amen. Still on the fence.

Where's the leather?

I really just get weak a*men with less tar and less power really nothing much else.

3 sprays this morning and just not feeling the love here at all. I am really trying to find some leather here at all, tried some on a business card and on my shirt after about 3 hours still not finding leather !

I think maybe those strips of dry leather just sucked up something in the juice and didn't leave much behind? I can't see this one ever selling out and if it didn't match my other bottles I would probably ditch it. /disappointed in this one.
    “Perfume is like cocktails without the hangover, like chocolate without the calories, like an affair without tears, like a vacation from which you never have to come back.”

This one is really odd. I have been wearing it every other day since it came.....and I really like it ....but it feels like its something I already have. I have all the pures. Yet there isn't one that smells like this....but if you took a character of a bunch of different ones you would get PL.

Like I said the only leather note I get is that slightly dirty vanilla smell kinda like dzing in the drydown.

my stuff for sale!

Pure Cuir, unfortunaltey is yet another redundancy from this house.

Wow, I'm surprised at how much people are saying this is similar to the original A Men...Not going out of my way to try this.

Better release than the Pure Shot, the worst release in history.

So what happens when you take original A Men and soak it with some leather for 30 days. It improves A Men in every way. Instead of being loud, it's perfectly tempered. Instead of too much sillage, sillage is just perfect. Instead of lasting too long like 24 hours, it just lasts a perfect 12 hours. All the rough edges are gone, and your left with smooth and delightful.
    Last edited by thebeck; 21st September 2012 at 09:29 PM.

Banned

It seems that you're searching for honney scents.

Smells like disposable vinyl gloves. That's the note I get that is supposed to smell like leather.
    Summer 2014 favorites

5. Dior Homme Eau (Iris)

8. Joop Splash (Fruity)

I wore this today, and don't detect A*Men in it that much, it's a heavy leather scent that lasted all day w/a spray in the morning to the neck, chest and one to each wrist and it's still a cloud around me at 11:45pm (the sprays were at 10a.m.)A Very masculine, clearly the most in-your-face of the flankers. It seems to be MORE of a projection monster than the original! I love a fragrance you can detect on yourself after 12 hours. A winning flanker!

Just as Pure Coffee amplified the chocolate note of A*Men in its base, Pure Leather amplifies the vanilla note. The top and mid notes actually amplify the mint note, which was a pleasant surprise. All in all, it's a good release and a welcome addition to the "Pure" series. (especially after the Pure Shot fiasco)

First Impression:

I went into this expecting A*Men so I decided to take a sniff of A*Men first for comparison. From my sample only...I'm not a huge fan of the original A*Men, but love Pure Malt and Pure Coffee. Pure Havane is probably the only flanker I truly dislike.

Now for Pure Leather. First of all I don't see how anyone could not get leather out of this as this is the immediate note that hits me, much in the same vein as something like Cuir Ottomon, or to a lesser degree Midnight in Paris. It's clearly not an in-your-face Tuscan Leather but a delicate, smooth leather. Overall, I get very little in common with A*Men.

The fragrance is quite dry, in fact the driest of all the flankers. It has more in common with Pure coffee than anything, oddly enough because Pure Coffee is sweet...but stay with me. In all during the top and middle the dominant notes are leather, mint and coffee. There is still a subtle caramel/vanilla sweetness in the background, which I suppose would be in line with the original, but overall the fragrance it not very sweet.

My one complaint would be that it does smell somewhat synthetic, especially on top, and I do get a bit of that chemical glove vibe.

I definitely need to test this more for a full review, but this is what I get initially.

My order

Pure Malt/Coffee
    Pure Leather
    Taste of Fragrance
    A*Men
    Pure Havane ( )
    Last edited by Jridgen; 21st September 2012 at 05:19 AM.
    Current favorites_____Black Tourmaline_____Gucci Pour Homme II_____Memoir Man_____Tuscan Leather______Montale Aoud and Pine_____Sel Marin_____Invasion Barbare_____Tonka Imperial____Dior Homme Intense_____L'Humaniste____Santal 33_____Bois d'Argent_____Nio_____MFK Oud_____Lumiere Noire_____Bois d'Encens_____Cuir Ottoman

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Not so much of leather than some powdered glove note with familiar warm creamy undertones providing the only link to A*men. It surprises me that I quite like this flanker. Anyway I'll give it a full wear later and see if it brings regrets, lol.

Would anybody happen to know what other leather fragrance it most closely resembles?. Somehow I am getting a vague Invasion Barbare vibe going on with Pure Leather.

I just got Pure Leather today and it honestly reminds me of Pure Malt with that juniper berry smell. It doesn't remind me of A*Men at all.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mesaboogie View Post
    I just got Pure Leather today and it honestly reminds me of Pure Malt with that juniper berry smell. It doesn't remind me of A*Men at all.
    That's the impression I got from my sample bottle. In one of the first threads about Pure Leather, I asked if it is closer to PM or the original, a lot of members compared it to A*Men.

I still find Pure Leather has the same vibe as Pure Malt.

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    That's the impression I got from my sample bottle. In one of the first threads about Pure Leather, I asked if it is closer to PM or the original, a lot of members compared it to A*Men.

I still find Pure Leather has the same vibe as Pure Malt.
    Yeah I don't get A*Men at all, just Pure Malt. It's crazy how everyone gets something different out of it.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Shaheen View Post
    Just as Pure Coffee amplified the chocolate note of A*Men in its base, Pure Leather amplifies the vanilla note. The top and mid notes actually amplify the mint note, which was a pleasant surprise. All in all, it's a good release and a welcome addition to the "Pure" series. (especially after the Pure Shot fiasco)
    Agreed. I never ever got the mint from A*men but I get mint from Pure Leather.
    I basically get A*men with leather and a touch of mint. Vanilla may also be amplified but can't tell for sure.
    I think it is the most similar to A*men but smoother and fresher.

Blind bought this and wore it today. I'm still confused. I'll keep wearing it until I understand it.

It's easily the darkest and most brootal of the bunch, and that means that the TAR note is pretty prominent. I don't think the TAR is as capillary rupturing as the original A Men, but it is strong.

I will report back when I know more. As of right now it's just A Men plus leather.

I been wearing this for 2 weeks every other day and still dont really understand it either.....sometimes I love it sometimes I hate it. sometimes its harsh sometimes its smooth. sometimes its like vanille pure coffee.....sometimes its more like pure malt. Its like all over the place yet smooth.

the weird thing is some days I will think it smells like PM....then I wear PM and it smells nothing like it! I would say the closest one it smells like is PC....yet it smells nothing like it!

I get that anise note....kinda reminds me a little of mechant loup....but then that stage goes away quick and it gets creamier.

I want to hate it but I kinda enjoy it! the drydown reminds me a little of DZING where its like a dirty caramel vanilla.....the drydown really is great.

my stuff for sale!