Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Pure Leather....its better then bad its good!

Better release than the Pure Shot, the worst release in history.

So what happens when you take original A Men and soak it with some leather for 30 days. It improves A Men in every way. Instead of being loud, it's perfectly tempered. Instead of too much sillage, sillage is just perfect. Instead of lasting too long like 24 hours, it just lasts a perfect 12 hours. All the rough edges are gone, and your left with smooth and delightful.
    Last edited by thebeck; 21st September 2012 at 09:29 PM.

Banned

It seems that you're searching for honney scents.

Smells like disposable vinyl gloves. That's the note I get that is supposed to smell like leather.
    Currently wearing: Green Irish Tweed by Creed

I wore this today, and don't detect A*Men in it that much, it's a heavy leather scent that lasted all day w/a spray in the morning to the neck, chest and one to each wrist and it's still a cloud around me at 11:45pm (the sprays were at 10a.m.)A Very masculine, clearly the most in-your-face of the flankers. It seems to be MORE of a projection monster than the original! I love a fragrance you can detect on yourself after 12 hours. A winning flanker!

Just as Pure Coffee amplified the chocolate note of A*Men in its base, Pure Leather amplifies the vanilla note. The top and mid notes actually amplify the mint note, which was a pleasant surprise. All in all, it's a good release and a welcome addition to the "Pure" series. (especially after the Pure Shot fiasco)

First Impression:

I went into this expecting A*Men so I decided to take a sniff of A*Men first for comparison. From my sample only...I'm not a huge fan of the original A*Men, but love Pure Malt and Pure Coffee. Pure Havane is probably the only flanker I truly dislike.

Now for Pure Leather. First of all I don't see how anyone could not get leather out of this as this is the immediate note that hits me, much in the same vein as something like Cuir Ottomon, or to a lesser degree Midnight in Paris. It's clearly not an in-your-face Tuscan Leather but a delicate, smooth leather. Overall, I get very little in common with A*Men.

The fragrance is quite dry, in fact the driest of all the flankers. It has more in common with Pure coffee than anything, oddly enough because Pure Coffee is sweet...but stay with me. In all during the top and middle the dominant notes are leather, mint and coffee. There is still a subtle caramel/vanilla sweetness in the background, which I suppose would be in line with the original, but overall the fragrance it not very sweet.

My one complaint would be that it does smell somewhat synthetic, especially on top, and I do get a bit of that chemical glove vibe.

I definitely need to test this more for a full review, but this is what I get initially.

My order

Pure Malt/Coffee
    Pure Leather
    Taste of Fragrance
    A*Men
    Pure Havane ( )
    Last edited by Jridgen; 21st September 2012 at 05:19 AM.
    Current favorites_____Black Tourmaline_____Gucci Pour Homme II_____Memoir Man_____Tuscan Leather______Montale Aoud and Pine_____Sel Marin_____Invasion Barbare_____Tonka Imperial____Dior Homme Intense_____L'Humaniste____Santal 33_____Bois d'Argent_____Nio_____MFK Oud_____Lumiere Noire_____Bois d'Encens_____Cuir Ottoman

Frag Bomb Squadron XIII

Not so much of leather than some powdered glove note with familiar warm creamy undertones providing the only link to A*men. It surprises me that I quite like this flanker. Anyway I'll give it a full wear later and see if it brings regrets, lol.

Would anybody happen to know what other leather fragrance it most closely resembles?. Somehow I am getting a vague Invasion Barbare vibe going on with Pure Leather.

I just got Pure Leather today and it honestly reminds me of Pure Malt with that juniper berry smell. It doesn't remind me of A*Men at all.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mesaboogie View Post
    I just got Pure Leather today and it honestly reminds me of Pure Malt with that juniper berry smell. It doesn't remind me of A*Men at all.
    That's the impression I got from my sample bottle. In one of the first threads about Pure Leather, I asked if it is closer to PM or the original, a lot of members compared it to A*Men.

I still find Pure Leather has the same vibe as Pure Malt.
    Currently wearing: Bergamote 22 by Le Labo

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    That's the impression I got from my sample bottle. In one of the first threads about Pure Leather, I asked if it is closer to PM or the original, a lot of members compared it to A*Men.

I still find Pure Leather has the same vibe as Pure Malt.
    Yeah I don't get A*Men at all, just Pure Malt. It's crazy how everyone gets something different out of it.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Shaheen View Post
    Just as Pure Coffee amplified the chocolate note of A*Men in its base, Pure Leather amplifies the vanilla note. The top and mid notes actually amplify the mint note, which was a pleasant surprise. All in all, it's a good release and a welcome addition to the "Pure" series. (especially after the Pure Shot fiasco)
    Agreed. I never ever got the mint from A*men but I get mint from Pure Leather.
    I basically get A*men with leather and a touch of mint. Vanilla may also be amplified but can't tell for sure.
    I think it is the most similar to A*men but smoother and fresher.

Blind bought this and wore it today. I'm still confused. I'll keep wearing it until I understand it.

It's easily the darkest and most brootal of the bunch, and that means that the TAR note is pretty prominent. I don't think the TAR is as capillary rupturing as the original A Men, but it is strong.

I will report back when I know more. As of right now it's just A Men plus leather.

I been wearing this for 2 weeks every other day and still dont really understand it either.....sometimes I love it sometimes I hate it. sometimes its harsh sometimes its smooth. sometimes its like vanille pure coffee.....sometimes its more like pure malt. Its like all over the place yet smooth.

the weird thing is some days I will think it smells like PM....then I wear PM and it smells nothing like it! I would say the closest one it smells like is PC....yet it smells nothing like it!

I get that anise note....kinda reminds me a little of mechant loup....but then that stage goes away quick and it gets creamier.

I want to hate it but I kinda enjoy it! the drydown reminds me a little of DZING where its like a dirty caramel vanilla.....the drydown really is great.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

my stuff for sale!
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=223916