Code of Conduct

Default Was I foolish to choose Rochas Man vs Ungaro II based on my Wardrobe?! Argh!

Went to some frag stores today and saw the usual suspects in Manila : Lacostes, Bvlgaris, Hugos, Polo Big Ponys -- the usual mainstream fare.

However, I did see a Rochas Man 50ml at a good price (one rarely ever gets to see Rochas even at Dept. Stores here, and no we don't have a Ross, TJMaxx or Marshall's equivalent, and no I'm not -- as most are not -- into int'l online shopping here). Told the lady to keep it in reserve for me while I go around further.

Found an Ungaro II at some corner in another frag store at only $6 more than the Rochas Man (I'm sure the lady didn't know it was discontinued) but I held off on it.

After a 30minute mind flip-flop, bought the Rochas Man instead.

Was that foolish of me to let the Ungaro II go? Either of the two would be blind buys; one can't skin-test with these kinds of frag stores here. With my wardrobe I'm pretty strict now into bringing new bottles (as I never get to finish and possibly never would) : as much as possible only 1 per house / brand (unless it's hard-to-find or I go into a mind spaz and forget) and have as much variety as possible (equal parts fresh / heavy, dark/light, day/night frags). And not more than 1 new purchase per month (or none at all) unless I go overseas (next one will be November, which again I'll have a field day). Did I do good with Rochas Man or should have I snagged the Ungaro II instead?

- - - Updated - - -

Oh I did have a mind spaz -- checked my 'drobe and I already have a Rochas (Eau de Rochas Homme) which I got last July. Grrr.

Default Re: Was I foolish to choose Rochas Man vs Ungaro II based on my Wardrobe?! Argh!

Well... Rochas Man and Eau de Rochas Homme are two different frags.

What about going back to check and see if the Ungaro II is still there?

Default Re: Was I foolish to choose Rochas Man vs Ungaro II based on my Wardrobe?! Argh!

Rochas man is good frag and if it's a hard one for you to find, then all the better for you. Have you tried it yet? That'll be the surest way to affirm a good purchase.

Depends. Rochas man is cheap and readily available everywhere on-line, Ungaro II is a wonderful fragrance, which is rare and discontinued. All comes down to whether you live animalic/civet fragrances.

The problem with blind buying is that until you've put your nose to a scent, the best you can do is read reviews and guess. Eau de Rochas is a totally different scent than Rochas Man. And Ungaro II is totally different than either of those. Honestly, I'd say Rochas Man was the safest bet for a blind buy. If you don't like it, surely you'll be able to swap it with somebody here.

Actually I'm not a big fan of gourmands OR animalic / civet frags in general; I'm more for variety than anything (that's why I was asking based on my current wardrobe). Might be considered shallow by some but more turned on by how hard-to-find a certain frag is here and actually owning it.

Though Kingdom by Alexander McQueen is quite dirty and feral and mysterious (ok, to me it smells like lady bits) and cannot be found here except from grey market sources and its one of my favorites.

And nope, haven't opened my Rochas Man yet I'm a hoarder haha (I have Marc Jacobs Bang -- which I'm intending to sell for a profit and get a smaller bottle of -- and Sonia Rykiel Grey boxes still unopened, still waiting for a special occasion or a really depressing day haha)

Sur la Plage

IMO, Ungaro II is infinitely better than Rochas Man - plus it is discontinued.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    IMO, Ungaro II is infinitely better than Rochas Man - plus it is discontinued.
    I agree. Ungaro II is a much more interesting and complex fragrance IMO.
    La vita Ŕ breve, la morte vien.

Wanted!!! Rectoverso Tea Tobacco by Ulric de Varens. PM Me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Like them both and have both but prefer Ungaro II

I assume you acted with your consumer hat based on your olfactory preferences, now put on your collector's hat and go back for that Ungaro - if you don't like it I am sure there will be plenty of offers around to offload it.

As others have said, Ungaro II is discontinued, so if you are a collector you could just get it for your reference. But, from what you said, it seems you made the right choice: Ungaro II has civet, and some people have said that in the heat (as presumably would happen in a place like Manila) it becomes unbearable (though I haven't tried myself).

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by MaxHeadroom View Post
    I assume you acted with your consumer hat based on your olfactory preferences, now put on your collector's hat and go back for that Ungaro - if you don't like it I am sure there will be plenty of offers around to offload it.
    Hit it right on the head, I guess I DID have my consumer hat on (Rochas Man! I don't see this ANYWHERE here! And I can afford it! LOL).
    Crossing my fingers it'll still be there in September (one frag per month rule!) I also hope I don't see anything else more interesting and get distracted before then.

Banned

I would echo cacio's advice ↓↓↓.

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    As others have said, Ungaro II is discontinued, so if you are a collector you could just get it for your reference. But, from what you said, it seems you made the right choice: Ungaro II has civet, and some people have said that in the heat (as presumably would happen in a place like Manila) it becomes unbearable ....

Enjoy your purchase.

Rochas Man by Rochas - In its opening, a pleasing lavender and bergamot arouse the senses. From afar, a sweet and creamy vanilla bobs eagerly. Thankfully, the lavender remains throughout the composition to rein in the sweetness. The tantalizing vanilla does intrude on that grassy lavender, and brings its sugary sweetness to the fore, steering it to its heart. The middle beckons, stewing with its coffee, semi-sweet chocolate, cedar, and rasberry notes, as well as some, lovely jasmine and lily-of-the-valley accords. The sweet vanilla blends nicely with the heart, creating a delicious mocha cafe, with hints of wood and floral twinkling. The smooth base with its amber, sandalwood, and glimpses of patchouli, usurps the melange, softening it, and evolves into its enticing drydown. It's a well-constructed gourmand. This delightful fragrance's longevity is good; and its projection is average for the first 3 hours, then sticks to the skin.

Buy the Ungaro II. It's very rare and commands high prices on Ebay.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

T'was still there, so snapped it up. Getting hard-to-finds are always such a trip. Got it on the cheap too haha! Still had a sticker on the bottom for it selling for $45 -- to think I got it cheaper than that (yey for oblivious SAs) and it sells for much higher than that price now

Congrats on the pickup & I'm impressed with your restraint in holding to your 1 frag/month rule & forcing yourself to wait!

Both are great scents an though I absolutely adore Rochas Man, Ungaro II adds even more individuality.