Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Bond no 9 Signature perfume - initial impresions

I had the chance to sample Bond No. 9 Signature Perfume today. I was really looking forward to it as I'm currently on an oud kick and I was looking for something with a good oud note. The notes sounded very promising. Rose, oud, tonka bean and musk. I had read some good reviews of this one so I was psyched. I sampled this on the back of my hand and on paper and all I got was a big fresh note(s). i thought that i had maybe picked up the wrong bottle or perhaps they had somehow put the wrong fragrance in the bottle. How could it smell so different from the notes listed? I usually don't post my first impression but im so preplexdd by this that i had to. It's been about 4 hours now and it's still there but I get no oud no rose and no tonka. Now I'm not a expert or anything but I like to think that I can at least pick out rose and oud. In fact I don't smell anything remotely like oud. Not even synthetic oud. I am utterly dissapointed. at least my wallet is safe from this one.

Now as I'm thinking about it what I'm interpretting as a fresh note might very well be a synthetic white musk ala Brooklyn. The 'rose' might be making it a bit thicker but there isn't any hint of dirty or skanky here.

Has anyone had the chance to sample this one yet. Thoughts?
    Last edited by Futami; 10th November 2009 at 02:55 AM.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Bond no 9 Signature perfume - initial impresions

What did the bottle of this look like, that you tested?
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Post Thanks / Like

It was a gold bottle with Bond logos etched all over it. I'll add a photo of it to this post shortly.

That sounds like the bottle I've seen of the new fragrance. If the scent is like you descibed it, I am terribly disappointed on one hand but on the other my wallet is happy.

Regards,
    Steve

Banned

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Futami,

Here is a blog I wrote about this one in July:
    http://sorceryofscent.blogspot.com/2...lf-states.html

My experience is quite different to yours - I felt the oud accord was pretty much front and center (as far as a mainstream western release might allow for the current Bond No9 fanbase).

Post Thanks / Like

Thats right, I remember reading it a while back. Great review. I went back yesterday and got a sample cause I couldn't believe it. I think Im picking up what they're calling oud now but only on paper. Still can't detect the rose. All in all i'm getting a very synthetic smell top to bottom. I wish I could say differently but i'm calling as I see/smell it.

Coincidentaly I tried real oud oil yesterday (KSSS) and I do agree with you that this is far removed from that. Since I was really after the oud note anyway I think I'm going to get some of that instead.

Banned

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, then go for the real thing Futami - if you'd potentially be spending $300+ on a 100ml of the Bond release, then that money is better spent on true oud IMO.

Our noses agree that there is no distinguishable rose to speak of, much in the same way we agree there are plenty of synthetics thrown in the mix. Im also at a loss with regard to the purported deer musk. *sigh* Thing is, the Bond release isn't bad... but doesn't quite meet expectations.
    Perfumers writing poems again I suppose...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Futami View Post
    I had the chance to sample Bond No. 9 Signature Perfume today. I was really looking forward to it as I'm currently on an oud kick and I was looking for something with a good oud note. The notes sounded very promising. Rose, oud, tonka bean and musk. I had read some good reviews of this one so I was psyched. I sampled this on the back of my hand and on paper and all I got was a big fresh note(s). i thought that i had maybe picked up the wrong bottle or perhaps they had somehow put the wrong fragrance in the bottle. How could it smell so different from the notes listed? I usually don't post my first impression but im so preplexdd by this that i had to. It's been about 4 hours now and it's still there but I get no oud no rose and no tonka. Now I'm not a expert or anything but I like to think that I can at least pick out rose and oud. In fact I don't smell anything remotely like oud. Not even synthetic oud. I am utterly dissapointed. at least my wallet is safe from this one.

Now as I'm thinking about it what I'm interpretting as a fresh note might very well be a synthetic white musk ala Brooklyn. The 'rose' might be making it a bit thicker but there isn't any hint of dirty or skanky here.

Has anyone had the chance to sample this one yet. Thoughts?
    They way you describe it, it seems to perfectly capture the dominant spirit of the whole line, as a signature fragrance should: derivative, qualitatively inferior pseudo-Luxury, i.e. mass-market in gilded packaging
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Post Thanks / Like

how did you guys get to sample it? i went to the bond store in NYC and they said they have no idea when it will be released

Post Thanks / Like

The_good_life: Thats what I'm now finding out. Actually the first few times i smelled B9s at Saks I thought they were too strong and very synthetic. it actually does represent the house well. That said I'm sure that there are people who will absolutely love this scent.

Denec: They recently rolled it out at the Boca Raton Saks where Laurice was there to sign bottles etc. It's also avaiable for sale on their website. go figure.

This is not good news.....Well.....as many have said.....it's good for my wallet.....I hope that You are wrong.....Gary

Quote Originally Posted by denec View Post
    how did you guys get to sample it? i went to the bond store in NYC and they said they have no idea when it will be released
    I have to say, for what seems to be a major release, the stores really seem dumbfounded by the question of when its going to be in the stores. I called around and the SA's I spoke with sounded like they almost didn't know what I was talking about. They really need to get their act together.

Reagrds,
    Steve

Banned

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sjas1962 View Post
    I have to say, for what seems to be a major release, the stores really seem dumbfounded by the question of when its going to be in the stores. I called around and the SA's I spoke with sounded like they almost didn't know what I was talking about. They really need to get their act together.

Reagrds,
    Steve
    The official Bond No9 Perfume press-release only comments that it will be "on counter in time for Xmas".

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
    Oh, then go for the real thing Futami - if you'd potentially be spending $300+ on a 100ml of the Bond release, then that money is better spent on true oud IMO.

Our noses agree that there is no distinguishable rose to speak of, much in the same way we agree there are plenty of synthetics thrown in the mix. Im also at a loss with regard to the purported deer musk. *sigh* Thing is, the Bond release isn't bad... but doesn't quite meet expectations.
    Perfumers writing poems again I suppose...
    Yes, I think thats what I'm going to do. Im currently trying to justify getting a 1/4 tola of Thaqeel Oud but I dont think I'll be ready in time. I think the deadline for the group buy was today. I may have to settle for KSSS which isn't a bad thing and much easier on the wallet.

Yeah I dont get the musk either at all. At least not in the dirty skanky sense (MKK & MR). I have never smelled deer musk. It seems the musk used in signature is closer to TF's Jasmine Musk (which I didn't understand either).

I agree its not like its horrible or anything I just had very high expectations and their note pyramid didnt help. It's almost like false advertisng. lol.

Im smelling the card that was sprayed about 3 days ago and the dry down is actually really nice, much nicer than the opening and heart notes. I still dont get any of the listed notes except maybe a quasi-woody note and a light synthy "floral" that almost reminds me of Chelsea Flowers but nicer. I am still going to sample their Harrods Oud scent but I am not as excited about it as I once was.

Post Thanks / Like

Futami. The Harrods version definitely has Oud in it. It has a definite stank so I don't think you will be disappointing.

Post Thanks / Like

Cairomerta: this is good news. Does it come across as overly synthetic?

I spoke with Marie at Bond about my plans to visit NYC and the Bond St location and she said "Thanks for your e-mail. Bond No. 9 Signature Fragrance will be available next week at our Bond No. 9 flagship location."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cairomerta View Post
    Futami. The Harrods version definitely has Oud in it. It has a definite stank so I don't think you will be disappointing.
    Yes it does..in fact it has that barnyard smell typical of oud I could not wear it longer then 2 hours before I had to scrub it off

They are selling Bond No. 9 Signature Perfume on their website. 100 ml of pure perfume for $330, here is the link below:

http://www.bondno9.com/shop/eau-de-p...nature-perfume

dang sounds really tempting prob get a sample first

Post Thanks / Like

Actually it doesn't smell too synthetic futami. If you are looking for a pretty barnyard smell, i dont think Bond will ever get as close to this again. In fact, it is more oudy than most montales. Very interesting Oud I might say. Definitely try it and let me know what you think!

Post Thanks / Like

Cairomerta: you're referring to the Harrods special edition right?
    If so I will seek out a sample

Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

I did not find oud to be prominent, let alone existent, in the Signature perfume. It was very disappointing.

I much prefered the Harrods Limited Edition (definite barnyard oud).
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    They way you describe it, it seems to perfectly capture the dominant spirit of the whole line, as a signature fragrance should: derivative, qualitatively inferior pseudo-Luxury, i.e. mass-market in gilded packaging
    LMMFAO couldn't agree more.
    I add what came to mind when clicking the thread title:

base note: high fructose Corn Syrup

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Futami. Yes I am speaking about the Limited edition one. Definitely try it.

i just sampled this today at Saks and was very impressed

I will sample Tuesday if everything allows me to get to my Saks......This is one that I have been wanting to try.....Can't wait.....Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I sniffed Bond Perfume at Saks yesterday and thought it was pretty dreadful. You know that flint note in TDH? The Bond Perfume was 99% that. The other 1% was cheap aldehydes and that chlorinated swimming pool smell in Azzaro Chrome.

This was all on paper. They offered me a sample, which I almost refused, but I'm such a sample-whore I took it anyway. Maybe it'll smell better on skin. According to Dimitri's review, the uber-synthetics urn off quickly, so maybe it'll redeem itself with a wearing or two.

For comparison, I've order a sample of the Harrods Oud from TPC and look forward to giving that one a try. It sounds like that's the winner of this batch.
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

A fresh oud is so what I expected from Bond only they would promote a fragrance with luxury and then go and produce zilch
    [COLOR="Purple"]I am not afraid... I was born to do this.

-Joan of Arc [/COLOR]

I find the wildly different impressions of this rather interesting. is there anything out there that smells similar?

Regards,
    Steve

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know of anything that smells like Signature (expect maybe bits and pieces of other bonds) the musk and floral accords are (I'm pretty certain) used in other bonds. The musk smells a bit like the one in Brooklyn and the floral smells a bit like the one in Chelsea Flowers just toned way down.

I've sampled Signature a few more times since my first post and I think I may have over reacted. I was expecting something with a more prominent oud and rose note so I guess I was offended more than anything. Since my original post I've also sampled the Bond Harrods Oud (thanks to a generous BNr) and it was more like I expected Signature to be. I've only tired it once so far so it's still to early to tell but I think I like it very much. It actually doesn't smell like anything else in the Bond line up. Bonds for the most part have a common feel to my nose. Maybe it's a combnation of the concentration and their house accords. Signature definitely has it but its strangely missing in Harrods Oud. I think this is for the better.

Just got my sample in the mail. The fragrance captures that mix of sweetness and musk that underlies many of the Bond No. 0 scents. I can never put my finger on it, but Dullah may have said it best: high fructose corn syrup. Add synthetic musk. Now in the right doses this really works. I find it overwhelming the signature mix. But it is indeed a good signature scent in that it captures that essence of Bond. Oud? I get no oud. Maybe a tiny bit as the top notes wear off. We'll see...
    Last edited by Nostalgie; 12th January 2010 at 03:44 PM.
    "You...put on cologne to write?"(From Midnight in Paris)

Stop by for a chat: http://perfumedletters.wordpress.com/
    My book reviews: http://www.nstperfume.com/author/Cheryl/

Post Thanks / Like

Does this contain the cherry-like note of YSL M7 ?
    -

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Trying this tonight from a sample.

This stuff is dreadfully bad. No oud. The rose is polished and very shiny/bright/synthetic - like a rose has been dipped in window cleaner, polished and then had it's oil extracted.

Maybe I'm wrong, but the first impression I get is that the house was trying to conjure up a Rose 31 wanna-be. So they substituted the musk for that ambergris/Ceevalox accord in the Le Labo. Anyone else agree with me?

And this stuff is supposed to be perfume concentration? What!? No way.

This stuff smells like something you could easily pick up at Sephora for $60-$80.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

^I'm trying my sample again tonight. I sort of liked it the first time I tried it, when I first got the sample, but it did give me a kind of queasy feeling - which oud always does, and I attributed that note to the oud. I got decent longevity out of it. Pretty linear. In a lot of ways, I agree with you. It does have a synthetic vibe - somewhat Windexy, as you say. I just happen to like it - at least initially. I was unable to wear it two days in a row, however, which is usually cause for me not to buy.

I love Rose 31, which I could wear day after day. No way would I pick this fragrance over that one. Rose 31 may be my favorite rose of them all.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, I just read my post from a year ago and man was I offended. Rightly so. In this case its straight up mis-representation.

I ended up extensively testing this one and yeah, I think Bond is really fleecing the public with this release. $330 for a painted gold bottle of some thing that smells not unlike hair conditioner (IMO) is just too much. I was talking to a Bond SA the other day and she told me its probably their best seller. We all know most fragrance shoppers will make a decision based on top notes so based on smell alone I just cant see that cause the opening is so harsh my spouse forbade me to wear it around the house.

I dont get the Rose 31 association since I cant actually pick up and rose what so ever. I kinda see Signature as a stronger alternative to Scent of Peace (which supposedly sells very well too). I know the notes are totally different but the feel (to me) is the same except Peace is pretty much undetectable after 1 hour. If they were striving for R31 then they failed. For me R31 is on a whole different level in all respects. I can actually smell the quality in r31 (rose absolute as well as the oud, cumin etc). I cant say the same about Signature which reads as a synthetic mess to my nose. The only listed note I pick up on is tonka. So $330 for a tonka dominant fragrance... Ummmm suuuure ok.

SmellChaser
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Wow, I just read my post from a year ago and man was I offended. Rightly so. In this case its straight up mis-representation.

I ended up extensively testing this one and yeah, I think Bond is really fleecing the public with this release. $330 for a painted gold bottle of some thing that smells not unlike hair conditioner (IMO) is just too much. I was talking to a Bond SA the other day and she told me its probably their best seller. We all know most fragrance shoppers will make a decision based on top notes so based on smell alone I just cant see that cause the opening is so harsh my spouse forbade me to wear it around the house.

I dont get the Rose 31 association since I cant actually pick up and rose what so ever. I kinda see Signature as a stronger alternative to Scent of Peace (which supposedly sells very well too). I know the notes are totally different but the feel (to me) is the same except Peace is pretty much undetectable after 1 hour. If they were striving for R31 then they failed. For me R31 is on a whole different level in all respects. I can actually smell the quality in r31 (rose absolute as well as the oud, cumin etc). I cant say the same about Signature which reads as a synthetic mess to my nose. The only listed note I pick up on is tonka. So $330 for a tonka dominant fragrance... Ummmm suuuure ok.
    Yes, it smells like a synthetic mess to me as well. A screechy rose to me. No aoud smell or impression to me at all. Very odd and disappointing.

Post Thanks / Like

I think Bond is really fleecing the public with this release. $330 for a painted gold bottle of some thing that smells not unlike hair conditioner (IMO) is just too much.
    That approach is the essence of the Bond No. 9 franchise, making this overpriced crap most befitting as a signature fragrance.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Amen!
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Post Thanks / Like

How does this compare to NY OUd?

Quote Originally Posted by finsfan View Post
    How does this compare to NY OUd?
    I would like to know the answer to this as well. I own NY signature but am thinking of purchasing NY Oud. The notes seem similar to me.

Yes this is my first post.