Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Plus

Default Questions about Mitsuko.

Good evening all!

Mitsuko has been my sister's signature scent for a number of years. She won't touch anything else! I know she just purchases whatever is readily available & is probably unaware of the reformulations her poor scent has been through over the years.

I would love to surprise her with an older version of her beloved scent for Christmas, even if just a decant. Can anyone advise me as to which version is the best that is still obtainable, where I might find it, & how much it will destroy my bank account?

Thanks for any ideas!!

Default Re: Questions about Mitsuko.

I have not followed much vintage Mitsouko on ebay, but from what I have seen, vintage Mitsouko (as opposed to current) is indeed quite expensive, as most Guerlains. Parfum goes in the hundreds, no matter what the vintage. EDTs depend, but they can be under $100 if not particularly old. Perhaps they're the way to go.

As usual with ebay, you should look around for a couple of weeks at least to see what the prevailing prices are, and then decide whether you want to go this route. Remember that it is very difficult to understand the vintage from the photo. Also, there are very many stock photos, some may look vintage, but they're actually selling the new stuff, so don't trust them unless they are clearly photos of the actual bottle in the house.

Also, remember that usually Guerlains have many followers who, for reasons unknown, bid at the very last minute, so the price shoots up literally in the last minute or so. As an economist, I don't follow this strategy, I just put in my reservation price and let go. Which means of course that I am always outbid.

cacio

Vintage Mitsouko is amazing, but the most recent versions with the new "safe" oakmoss is not bad at all.

If you want to get some vintage, it won't be cheap. Also, don't get any vintage Mitsouko that doesn't come sealed (unless its a spray) with the box. It goes off easily if exposed to light. People that trash their boxes and put the pretty bottle on the their dresser for 20 years are destroying it. Then they die, someone buys it in an estate sale and sells the "new, sealed, no box" bottle on eBay.

You can tell the parfum has turned because it turns very dark, from what I've heard.

If you can find a round, disc-shaped bottle of the Eau de Cologne with the pointy cap, still in the box - you should be able to snag it for a decent price. They look like this:

Those are both good, so this gives you an idea what color the EdC should have. the zigag is older than the black/gold - 70s versus 80s. Both are good, but the zigzag is better.

This is what the parfum should look like (older vintage will be a bit darker, but not like molasses):

The vintage EdT is very nice - it will come in either the black/gold or zigzag boxes. It looks like this:

Good luck! It's hard to find good vintage juice, but it's well worth the effort.

Oh, and if you find any Parfum de Toilette - get it! It's really good too.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I'd snatch a Mitsouko Parfum de Toilette. It is splendid and comes at a reasonable price. It is 75 ml and stronger than today's extrait. So, that makes it an even greater 'bargain'.

Basenotes Plus

Thank you for your kind replies, gents. Sounds like I have some searching to do!

Cacio: My ebay strategy is the same as yours. There's always a set price when I bid on an item. I bought into the frenzy once a few years ago & wanted to slap myself for what I had just spent! No more.

rubegon: Thank you for posting the pictures!! Now I have a much clearer idea of what to look for. Will also ask a lot of questions about the source of the item. All good things to consider!

Larimar: I appreciate the +1 on the Parfum de Toilette! This one probably would not have been on my radar without the suggestions.

Now the search begins! Will report back when I finally find her HG!

This one seems higly risky but potentially interesting:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Parfum-Guerl...-/150900231483

cacio

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    This one seems higly risky but potentially interesting:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Parfum-Guerl...-/150900231483

cacio
    Thanks for the link, Cacio! I'm a little skittish about ebay now after pondering the info from rubegon.

I'd like opinions on another thought though. While searching for some samples at The Perfumed Court, I saw that they have decants of vintage M from the "ribbed bottle" that I can order for a reasonable price. I already purchased a very nice Guerlain refillable purse atomizer for Sis. Sooo... Might this be a safer road for me to take??

Quote Originally Posted by Genie Jeanie View Post
    Thanks for the link, Cacio! I'm a little skittish about ebay now after pondering the info from rubegon.

I'd like opinions on another thought though. While searching for some samples at The Perfumed Court, I saw that they have decants of vintage M from the "ribbed bottle" that I can order for a reasonable price. I already purchased a very nice Guerlain refillable purse atomizer for Sis. Sooo... Might this be a safer road for me to take??
    Don't get the TPC decant. It's $50 for 5ml of EdT.

This one looks good:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MITSOUKO-EDT...item256c0e048b

It's a bit overpriced, but 30ml in a new bottle with box for $90 is much better than TPCs price.

The one cacio linked looks promising. The color is good, but the bottle is opened. That's a little iffy.

Depending on how much you need, I could swap you a decant of my vintage EdT or EdC for something. I don't want to give up much, but I can spare a bit. PM me if you want to do that.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by rubegon View Post

This one looks good:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MITSOUKO-EDT...item256c0e048b

It's a bit overpriced, but 30ml in a new bottle with box for $90 is much better than TPCs price.

The one cacio linked looks promising. The color is good, but the bottle is opened. That's a little iffy.

Depending on how much you need, I could swap you a decant of my vintage EdT or EdC for something. I don't want to give up much, but I can spare a bit. PM me if you want to do that.
    Thank you so much for the link, rubegon! I made an offer & the seller accepted my bid. Done deal.
    How very generous of you to offer to share some of your own private bottle with me, but your reserve is now safe!

I appreciate the time that all of you took to provide me with links & pictures. My kind basenoters have come through for me once again. I love this community!!

Quote Originally Posted by Genie Jeanie View Post
    Thank you so much for the link, rubegon! I made an offer & the seller accepted my bid. Done deal.
    How very generous of you to offer to share some of your own private bottle with me, but your reserve is now safe!

I appreciate the time that all of you took to provide me with links & pictures. My kind basenoters have come through for me once again. I love this community!!
    You're welcome - congrats on getting the bottle! I'm sure your sister is going to be very happy with her gift. And don't forget - if you ever see a bottle of the Parfum de Toilette - get it! It's really fantastic, though elusive.