Code of Conduct

Default the new Eau d'Hermès

Today I finally went and bought Eau d'Hermès.

Opening the box I realized that the bottle is different. It has Eau d'Hermès written on it but the shape is exactly like the Jardin series bottles.

I've been sniffing the bottle and am looking forward to a full wear tomorrow but I do wish the bottle wasn't different, not like this one at least. I hope at least it hasn't been reformulated.

How do you think Eau d'Hermès would look in such a bottle?
    Last edited by Balthazar; 30th December 2009 at 02:29 AM.

Default Re: the new Eau d'Hermès

Yup, I have that bottle. A friend of mine bought me it from London a few months ago. I haven't smelled the previous bottle, but the new one is still as animalic as hell and lovely. I guess I'm immune to cumin. I don't find it offputting or animalic. I never have, and I never will. There's also that lovely fat civet note...aaaaahhhhh!!!!

Hillaire

I apologize, but feel compelled to share my impressions, as I happen to think Eau d'Hermes is the most heinous reformulation on the market.
    A total insult to Roudnitska, in fact.
    EdH was a divine, complex, spicy, heady Eau. The new stuff is a bland citrus over way too much cumin, employed to obfuscate the lack of complexity. And the longevity is dismal.

Quote Originally Posted by Hillaire View Post
    I apologize, but feel compelled to share my impressions, as I happen to think Eau d'Hermes is the most heinous reformulation on the market.
    EdH was a divine, complex, spicy, heady Eau. The new stuff is a bland citrus over way too much cumin, employed to obfuscate the lack of complexity. And the longevity is dismal.
    I am so happy i read this post. i am down to the end of a generous sample of the vintage Ed'H and was going to splurge. I am so saddened that they reformulated it, how dreadful. Truly an insult to the master of complex yet wearable masterpieces.
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser à sa source

Quote Originally Posted by Hillaire View Post
    Thank you Hillaire. I didn't know that Eau d'Hermès had been reformulated. Do you know if all previous bottle juices are vintage or has it been reformulated before the bottle was changed?

Hillaire

I actually made a post about it a few months back, and I think someone mentioned that the reformulation occurred coevally with the coppery-capped bottle issue.

Blog Entries

How is the new bottle different thn the one posted in the directory:
    http://www.basenotes.net/ID26120489.html

Does anybody have new/old bottle's pictures?
    Offsite Sales - Updated June7th

Vintage Dia, Vetiver Dry, Angel parfum, Opium parfum for Sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/215962

After some internet search i found out that:

Eau d’Hermès was created in 1951 as a spicy-citric masculine edt and was presented in a St Louis Crystal glass.
    In 1987 it was re-orchestrated and re-launched as a unisex edt. This is much earlier than the introduction of the new bottle.
    Last edited by Balthazar; 29th December 2009 at 05:36 AM.

I think what we call "vintage" is the 1987 juice, when Hermes started to release (or re-release ) fragrances
    I've got a new bottle and it has not thing to see with the vintage juice : it's now a pale citrus with shy animalic notes and inimaginative basenotes
    so disappointing
    but all the Hermes have been reformulated:the new Bel Ami is a shame !

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Mudassir View Post
    How is the new bottle different thn the one posted in the directory:
    http://www.basenotes.net/ID26120489.html

Does anybody have new/old bottle's pictures?
    Yes I would be interested to see the new bottle if it is different from the one posted on the Basenotes reviews section. This was very nearly a blind buy for me .
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 29th December 2009 at 10:58 AM.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

All this talk wants me to try the vintage stuff. I really do enjoy the new juice, and the reviews really do reflect on what I've been experiencing with it. I wish someone who has had experience with both vintage and new would chime in; it would be really enlightening.

smeller

Quote Originally Posted by germanomio View Post
    I think what we call "vintage" is the 1987 juice, when Hermes started to release (or re-release ) fragrances
    I've got a new bottle and it has not thing to see with the vintage juice : it's now a pale citrus with shy animalic notes and inimaginative basenotes
    so disappointing
    It's hard to discuss reformulations when we don't even know how the original 1951 scent smelled.

This 1987 release could be a "total insult to Roudnitska" as well. As we know, reformulate is their job. We'll never know how many times they changed it since 1951.

And I suppose searching a 1951 well-kept bottle of this stuff would be an impossible task.

BTW, my EdH bottle (which is pretty recent and it's the same on Basenotes directory) smells great to me, and I don't think the new Bel Ami is such a shame, especially when compared with lame reformulations like Égoïste, Fahrenheit, Azzaro, the more recent Envy for Men, and so on.

My point is: expecting this kind of integrity from this "houses" is a bit insane. They are not museums, but commercial enterprises, 100% profit focused. I agree it's not the ideal world, but perhaps the best move is trying to find out a closer alternative between more recent releases (don't ask me what... Kingdom? Déclaration?)... or accept the reformulations... or become an amateur perfumer and do it yourself...

We know they DON'T bring the original formulations back.

Basenotes Institution

Balthazar - how does your bottle differ from the one in the Basenotes Directory?

Quote Originally Posted by germanomio View Post
    so disappointing
    Were all these reformulations made be J.C.Ellena?

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Balthazar - how does your bottle differ from the one in the Basenotes Directory?
    Here is my bottle:

Last edited by Balthazar; 29th December 2009 at 11:51 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Ah, I see what you mean...about the cap being clear. It's silly that the official Hermes website, doesn't show this bottle shape at all.

So, this is the 2009 reformulation, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Ah, I see what you mean...about the cap being clear. It's silly that the official Hermes website, doesn't show this bottle shape at all.

So, this is the 2009 reformulation, eh?

It seems as if they stopped producing the old bottles or and decided to use the Jardin series bottle instead, without any coloring and with Eau d'Hermès written on it. Even the box is fatter, with some empty space on each side.

I was hoping that the juice hadn't been reformulated. Does a new bottle usually follow a reformulation?

I gave it my first full wear today and I liked it very much. But on the other hand I wonder if I should to go back and exchange it for an old bottle, or even return it if possible. Any Suggestions?

I should mention that the tester they have does not look like this. Isn't that ironic?
    Last edited by Balthazar; 30th December 2009 at 03:05 AM.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Balthazar View Post
    ...I was hoping that the juice hadn't been reformulated. Does a new bottle usually follow a reformulation?...
    Yes. Usually.

Enjoy your bottle. If you like the way it smells, don't let those who're bemoaning the reformulations to ruin your enjoyment. When you get a chance to sample the vintage, prior-to-reformulation juice, do so. Maybe then, it will enhance your love of the scent, that you already love?

The same thing happened to me with Shalimar (Eau de Cologne) by Guerlain. I fell in love with a bottle from the 1990's and then when I got ahold of a vintage bottle from the '60s and wore it, I was blown away. I didn't fall out of love, for my original (newer) bottle, instead I found that I could love both of them for slightly different reasons.

Hope the same happens for you.

I think Eau de Hermes (which BTW - I own a decant of it, from a bottle from the 2000's) is a fantastic scent. Smells so sexy on a guy.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 30th December 2009 at 03:14 AM.

Thank you Mike. Your posts have always been very useful.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Balthazar View Post
    Thank you Mike. Your posts have always been very useful.
    You're welcome - glad I could help.

I love Eau de H'hermes, haven't tried the new one though. Will soon

As I said before, I recently bought Eau d'Hermès based on the tester they had at Ogilvy.
    My bottle ended up being that of the 2009 reformulation - different bottle, too.

Feeling a bit disappointed, I went back and tested the new and the older Eau d'Hermès side by side and guess what...
    The new reformulation was by far superior, both on paper and on my skin.

Bought a bottle of the new formulation and have been wearing it daily since it arrived. I love it and have purchased a 50ml of the copper-top formulation so that I can do a side-by-side comparison.

I originally purchased EDH as a "replacement" for my beloved McQueen Kingdom, which is down to its last few sprays. Of course, it's a very different experience, but the delicious dirty ribbon that runs through both makes it a great suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by frostiblack View Post
    Bought a bottle of the new formulation and have been wearing it daily since it arrived. I love it and have purchased a 50ml of the copper-top formulation so that I can do a side-by-side comparison.
    Please do tell your thoughts/preference when you have a chance.. copper top vs clear cap bottle.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by frostiblack View Post
    Please do tell your thoughts/preference when you have a chance.. copper top vs clear cap bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by CapriDog View Post
    Received my copper top bottle over the holidays and have been comparing the two formulations this week. I like both, truly - there is certainly less of a citrus presence in the old version - it's heavier, and feels a bit dated in comparison with the reformulation. I feel as if the reformulation was just a beefing-up of the citrus notes to help lighten and modernize the scent - but it's the same cumin/civet beast lurking underneath. The vintage juice just cuts to it and brings the cumin/civet right off the bat.

I really like them both, but if I had to choose one to take to a desert island, I very well may choose the reformulation; I find it a bit more wearable.

I happen to like both also, but personally prefer the earlier.

I have the bottle just like in the Directory except or it's 200ml splash.
    Bought it about the year 2008. It's been sold out everywhere, now it's hard to find in Moscow.
    Btw not seen any newer versions yet.
    "One man's "cat piss" is another one's "masterpiece" (popular fragrance wisdom)