Code of Conduct

View Poll Results: What will be my next purchase?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1 Million by Paco Rabanne

2 4.65%
  • Armani Code by Giorgio Armani

1 2.33%
  • Burberry London for Men by Burberry

7 16.28%
  • L'Essence de Cerutti by Cerutti

1 2.33%
  • L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme by Guerlain

14 32.56%
  • M7 by Yves Saint Laurent

12 27.91%
  • Other (from my wishlist or personal preference if you feel very strong about it.)

6 13.95%
    Basenotes Plus

Default Getting sick of my three cologne line-up...

So the most votes (or a compelling post) gets my next blind buy purchase. I'm not even looking towards the cautious side. If I end up not liking it, it won't be a big deal. I'll appreciate the input.

Edit: Jeez, I specifically wanted this in Just Starting Out. Not sure what happened. Moderators, could you please move this?
    Last edited by mlsweeney; 14th September 2012 at 02:46 PM.

Default Re: Getting sick of my three cologne line-up...

Obligatory vote for Aventus. Because you really should, if you're willing to shell out the money for it. You won't be disappointed.

L' Instant Extreme Pour Homme Gets My Vote - It's the better version of the standard on your list.

From your list, I would suggest M7. That said, I'll second the vote for Aventus.

Yeah, M7 is every bit as potent as Joop! That is, if you get the vintage.

Dependent

L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme by Guerlain
    1. Dior Homme Original
    2. Musc Ravaguer
    3. Portrait of a Lady
    4. Noir de Noir
    5. L Instant Guerlain pour Homme Extreme
    6. New Haarlem
    7. Pure Coffee
    8. Blu Mediterraneo Sicilian Almond
    9. Rose 31
    10. Spiritueuse Double Vanille

M7 is definately to one to go for

Like Jack says you need the extreme version of L'instant de Guerlain.

Blog Entries

M7 by YSL gets my vote. Get the vintage if you find one.

You might like M7, but i would NEVER recommend a blind buy of it. Some fragrances are safe blind buys, that is not one of them.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Pure White Cologne
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Tom Ford - Grey Vetiver
    by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    5. Clive Christian - 1872
    6. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    7. Xerjoff - Nio
    8. Neela Vermeire - Bombay Bling
    9. The Different Company - De Bachmakov
    10. Chanel - Allure Homme Edition Blanche

From your list, L'Instant...although I'll be another one to suggest Aventus

I'm not a huge fan of M7, personally. L'Instant, off this list.

Is there anything in particular you want out of this next fragrance purchase? A vibe, a void to be filled, or something like that? I will say that if you want something in the vein of 1 Million you oughta look at Spicebomb first.

M7 is something that will give you some variety to your wardrobe, its just great juice. 1 million is in a class by itself as well and fbw not your typical AdG wannabe nor is it too complex.
    "If you enjoy the fragrance of a rose, you must accept the thorns which it bears."
    -Isaac Hayes

Basenotes Junkie

Blah blah blah Aventus blah blah blah...I would recommend New Haarlem from your wish list. Believe it or not, there are some people in this world that are not obsessed with Aventus, thus, if you were to buy it you might be disappointed contrary to popular belief. New Haarlem all the way. The only ones that I have experience with on your list I don't like so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Kybid View Post
    Blah blah blah Aventus blah blah blah...I would recommend New Haarlem from your wish list. Believe it or not, there are some people in this world that are not obsessed with Aventus, thus, if you were to buy it you might be disappointed contrary to popular belief. New Haarlem all the way. The only ones that I have experience with on your list I don't like so much.
    ...assuming everyone that likes/recommends Aventus is obsessed with it...

Anyway, I'm far from obsessed with it. It does make my top 3 right now, but barely. I just think its a high quality, versatile, unique, good smelling frag that can add something to a collection. That's all, man... Plus, while NH is great, it's not nearly as versatile for someone with only 3-4 colognes in their collection. Just sayin...

Burberry London for Men by Burberry

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by fit&frag'd View Post
    ...assuming everyone that likes/recommends Aventus is obsessed with it...

Anyway, I'm far from obsessed with it. It does make my top 3 right now, but barely. I just think its a high quality, versatile, unique, good smelling frag that can add something to a collection. That's all, man... Plus, while NH is great, it's not nearly as versatile for someone with only 3-4 colognes in their collection. Just sayin...
    I'm not saying that everyone is obsessed with it, just about 99% of the people that own it. Ok, I'm kidding about the 99%, it's more like 98%. In all seriousness though, I recommended New Haarlem because it's in his wish list and that's what he asked for if we chose "other". I agree that there are more versatile frags out there, just it's on his radar, so I say go for it.

To the OP: forget Aventus. There's nothing wrong with it, but as it stands for the same price you could double, or maybe even triple your current lineup, and with some very nice stuff at that. If you want to buy $200+ niche bottles you're better off doing it when you've got a decent rotation so they don't disappear in short order. There are many, many designer scents that are just as good, and just as distinctive as those on the niche market. Not to mention many brilliant niche scents which cost a fraction of what you would pay for the average bottle of Creed, Bond, etc. Brands like Montale, Annick Goutal, Commes des Garcon, Rance, Perris, and more are all great, and though not as oft-talked about on BN as, say, Creed I think they're generally a better introduction to niche, not least because they can be had for little more than some high-end designer offerings.

To that end I'd recommend L'instant and Burberry London. Both great scents, and don't worry about L'instant extreme if you've got your heart set on the original, or at the very least sample them and see which one you enjoy more, or you could always buy one now and one later. I'd also recommend grabbing a sample of New Haarlem if possible, and if you really want to get a larger quantity consider doing a split with someone on BN unless the bottle means a lot to you.

I'd also recommend sampling M7, and strongly caution against buying the vintage blind. You might think it's the best thing since sliced bread, but on the other hand you might find it unwearable. It's not the most user-friendly of all fragrances.

Above all I'd say take your time and look around. Basenotes is a great place for learning more about fragrance, but by this I mean the fragrance directory. The forums tend to have a rather narrow focus in the main and entire houses will only be mentioned at whiles. Of course I'm not saying you shouldn't make use of the forum, but if you want a panoptic view of what's available there are better resources.

Quote Originally Posted by Miket View Post
    To the OP: forget Aventus. There's nothing wrong with it, but as it stands for the same price you could double, or maybe even triple your current lineup, and with some very nice stuff at that. If you want to buy $200+ niche bottles you're better off doing it when you've got a decent rotation so they don't disappear in short order. There are many, many designer scents that are just as good, and just as distinctive as those on the niche market. Not to mention many brilliant niche scents which cost a fraction of what you would pay for the average bottle of Creed, Bond, etc. Brands like Montale, Annick Goutal, Commes des Garcon, Rance, Perris, and more are all great, and though not as oft-talked about on BN as, say, Creed I think they're generally a better introduction to niche, not least because they can be had for little more than some high-end designer offerings.

To that end I'd recommend L'instant and Burberry London. Both great scents, and don't worry about L'instant extreme if you've got your heart set on the original, or at the very least sample them and see which one you enjoy more, or you could always buy one now and one later. I'd also recommend grabbing a sample of New Haarlem if possible, and if you really want to get a larger quantity consider doing a split with someone on BN unless the bottle means a lot to you.

I'd also recommend sampling M7, and strongly caution against buying the vintage blind. You might think it's the best thing since sliced bread, but on the other hand you might find it unwearable. It's not the most user-friendly of all fragrances.

Above all I'd say take your time and look around. Basenotes is a great place for learning more about fragrance, but by this I mean the fragrance directory. The forums tend to have a rather narrow focus in the main and entire houses will only be mentioned at whiles. Of course I'm not saying you shouldn't make use of the forum, but if you want a panoptic view of what's available there are better resources.
    Very good points & well said. I'd ultimately have to agree with you here...

I'd suggest Tobacco Vanille from your wishlist.

Basenotes Junkie

Burberry London

I would definitely get the extreme version of L'Instant De Guerlain. However, it is very hard to find.

Whatever you pick, also purchase L'Essence de Cerutti. It's incredible value for money.

L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme

L'Instant get my vote. get extreme version if you can.

Banned
    Blog Entries

all good options.

m7 would be #1 out of those, but only get it if it's for your tastes, since its not for everyone.

burberry london should be next on your list.

armani code, lidg and 1 million are all good fragrances, so it depends on your tastes. me? i'd pick 1 million of those 3.

Banned

1 Million by Paco Rabanne is a perfect clubbing scent, and has a sweet, spicy, bubble-gum smell. It has great projection, wherein the scent goes beyond your personal space, and average longevity, about 8 hours. However, it can get cloying, so easy on the tigger - spray sparingly.

From your list, L'Instant

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Basenotes Plus

Poll has closed and the winner is L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme by Guerlain . I already got a great deal from a fellow Basenotes member and got 1 Million by Paco Rabanne but I will purchase Guerlain in the near future. Since I received such an overwhelming response to get the extreme version instead, that will be my next purchase. I read and valued each one of your posts and I just want to thank you all for the great feedback!

Banned

Enjoy your 1 Million!