Code of Conduct

Thread: Canoe... WTF???

Basenotes Junkie

Default Canoe... WTF???

So I tried good old fashioned Canoe by Dana today while I was shopping at Sears. They didn't have test strips so I just sprayed one good spray on my wrist. What I experienced after that was complete and utter confusion. This smells absolutely nothing like what I would ever have expected. What in the heck is going on here?

Everyone says Canoe is supposed to be an old fashioned barber shop type smell, formulated in 1936. This didn't smell anything like a barbershop or any of the fougeres I've smelled before. I didn't detect a single bit of oakmoss, and there was only a light bit of lavender. I didn't get any fresh, clean smell at all. I honestly don't know what everyone is talking about who reviews this fragrance. All I got was the overwhelmingly strong smell of...

salted carmel

That's right. Salted candy carmel. This stuff is sugary sweet gourmand all the way. I think Canoe has more in common with A*Men, or Blue Sugar, or Rochas Man than it does with the fougere family. It just doesn't make any sense at all. How could this have been formulated in 1936? Is my nose broken?

That being said, I had been sniffing frags all afternoon, so my olfactory senses were certainly quite fatigued. Still, I can't be that far off. Everything else smells how it should. I've been smelling a lot of familiar frags today, and Canoe smells like sweet candy carmel. Not sure what is going on here. Maybe I'm crazy. I'm definitely going to have to sniff this one again. Not good or bad, just the complete opposite of what I would have ever expected.

Any insights?

Also, another note, I love Dior Homme and DHI, but I smelled Dior Homme Sport today and it is the most abominable thing Dior has ever created. What in the hell were they thinking? Dior Homme should not be a citrus sports frag. My first impression: Disgusting.
    Last edited by 2ndBakeryAttack; 15th September 2012 at 06:46 AM.

Pollux

Default Re: Canoe... WTF???

The first time I smelt it I found it unbereable, completely unrelated to what I was used to. I got that candy / sweetish note you said, not fresh at all, rather stuffy and cologny, bold, without longevity and long term presence / sillage.

It took me some time to like it, specially after I understood how fashion affects perfume making. Nowadays I like it, so I wonder it is somehow a acquired taste. It is a rather old fashioned blend.

Now, if having to choose between Canoe and Pinaud's Clubman, I prefer the later.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Never cared for this personally.

Welcome to the cotton candy revolution in men's frags (women experienced it first) !

Hmm. Ya may wanna go smell this out again, or wear it on your skin. I don't get any caramel or anything sweet. I get a primarily powdery, slightly floral citrus fragrance. The powdery smell is dusty, similar to say Realities by Claiborne when I say dusty. The citrus and floral notes are pretty subdued. The base has an old school oak moss thing going on, with subtle woods. To me, it reminds me of Baby Blue Jeans, or Burberry Brit meets PS Casual, with base notes of a strong oakmoss fragrance, such as Polo original.

Gourmand? Not even close..
    "Where there's gold, there's a gold digger" -Dashboard Confessional

Banned

Ha! I first read that as "salted camel"

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    Hmm. Ya may wanna go smell this out again, or wear it on your skin. I don't get any caramel or anything sweet. I get a primarily powdery, slightly floral citrus fragrance. The powdery smell is dusty, similar to say Realities by Claiborne when I say dusty. The citrus and floral notes are pretty subdued. The base has an old school oak moss thing going on, with subtle woods. To me, it reminds me of Baby Blue Jeans, or Burberry Brit meets PS Casual, with base notes of a strong oakmoss fragrance, such as Polo original.

That's what i was afraid of. Something must have gone horribly wrong. I did try it on my skin and kept smelling it for hours. Maybe I got the bottles mixed up. Canoe doesn't have any flankers, does it? Going to have to try this again, since there is no way I could have been smelling Canoe based on that description.

You may have tried a formulation that is "hot off the presses" so you both may be right !

Horrible scent you could not pay me any amount to test it let alone go into a Sears store.

Pollux

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    Welcome to the cotton candy revolution in men's frags (women experienced it first) !
    I guess the revolution had like two periods: a proto revolution during the early 1930's and then the real one taking place during the 1990's - 2000's.

Dependent

People describe this as a barbershop fougere? No way . . . I definitely understand where you're coming from with the salted caramel thing. I find it a very sweet vanillic chypre, not a fresh fougere. I do think it's powdery and dusty as well. This is going off my dad's enormous vintage 8-oz 60s bottle. That was the one cologne he owned. (Now you see why it took me until well into my adult life to get into frags. Canoe is SO not my style.)

Banned

Your impressions are uniquely yours; however, this thread might help you: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/205393-Canoe-by-Dana

Canoe by Dana was the scent in its day.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post

I'll second that.

I'm surprised this is still in production....

Basenotes Junkie

So I got a chance to smell this again today with a fresh nose, and it turns out my olfactory senses were rather fatigued last time I smelled it. I definitely got a lot of lavender and oakmoss upfront this time. The first ten minutes were very much herbal and floral with a hint of lemon.

I think I was unable to detect these notes the first time because I had recently decanted some Aramis Havana into a tester at Nordstroms and spilled quite a bit of it on my hand. Havana has some pretty strong masculine top notes that I think wiped out my ability to smell the florals in Canoe, which are much lighter. I'm glad to have solved this mystery and to have found that Canoe really does smell herbal and floral like it is supposed to.

That being said, I still think the reviews for Canoe are WAY off base. The fougere notes are definitely apparent, but I'm still getting very heavy sweet sugary carmel that takes over in the dry down. The dominant notes I'm smelling throughout are vanilla and tonka, but it is a very well blended fragrance that comes across more like salted carmel. A few others have mentioned the sweet powdery nature of Canoe, but these characteristics are oddly lacking in many of the descriptions I've read. It's almost like some people are only smelling the top notes. (Maybe because they are only smelling it on a test strip? Or maybe Canoe has been reformulated?)

I'm really confused as to how The_Cologneist and silvebullet could be smelling something so completely different. This is very strange. I've sniffed two different bottles from two different stores now and I'm sure what I'm smelling is a very sugary sweet fragrance. If I were going to categorize Canoe, I would call it a "semi-gourmand" in the vein of something like LIDGE or DHI. The herbal and floral notes fall way back into the background after a few minutes and then it smells strongly sweet and edible. In fact, more sweet and edible than LIDGE. Not what I would have expected.

I will probably pick up a bottle of this. If anything, just because of it's uniqueness (although people say it smells like pinaud clubman, which I'll have to try). It's rather synthetic, but it smells nice and I did get a compliment on it today. I can see why it's a classic. Also, the sillage on this stuff is quite impressive. I could still smell it wafting off of my arm from underneath my coat, hours after application. If you haven't tried Canoe, definitely give it a sniff. This is an underrated and overlooked fragrance in my opinion. I don't know anyone who wears this, and it although it was formulated in 1936, it doesn't smell nearly as dated as fragrances from the 70s or early 80s. I've quite enjoyed getting familiar with it.
    Last edited by 2ndBakeryAttack; 17th September 2012 at 09:07 AM.