Code of Conduct
Just Starting Out Sponsor

Default New To The Cologne World...need help!

Skip to the bold if you don't care about my background lmao.

As weird as it sounds, despite attending the number one party school in the nation (UT Austin), I only went clubbing ONCE. Mainly cause I didn't like those sort of scenes, and I'm more of a jazz club/hang out at a friend's sort of guy. Very laid back.

Now I've graduated, I work, and I think it's time I started getting myself a cologne or two to wear. It's not to impress the ladies as much as it is to simply be complimented about having a good scent. Granted, there is a girl I've always had a crush on, so if the opportunity presented itself, I gotta look AND smell good LOL.

I've only had one cologne for the longest time: Armani Code. Got it in Freshman year. Only wore it to formal events, because I figure that's what it is for.

I'm looking for an everyday cologne. Something I can wear to work, at a friendly gathering, or a casual restaurant. I would prefer something that has a long lasting scent, but if the scent itself is good enough, I'll look past it. Price range around 40 dollars. I've done my share of research by lurking around here, reading reviews on Amazon, and smelling a few of the scents at stores (not all of them). Oh, and if you hadn't guessed, I live in Texas. So that means it's pretty much hot 3/4 seasons of the year. Even in Winter, you can expect some days to be in the 80s. Here is my list...

Personality: I would say I'm very laid back. I tend to dominate smaller group conversations, but take a seat back in big groups.

Burberry Brit
    Burberry London (I hear this doesn't last long, but smells better than Brit)
    Versace PH
    Versace Man EF
    L'eau D'issey

I plan to buy two in total, so perhaps scents that aren't exactly similar to one another?

I would also be interested in knowing...how do you guys handle the contrast between using a bodywash and cologne? I figure things can get jumbled up. Best to stick with a non-fragrance body wash or bar?

Thanks a bunch!

Edit: I figure these are popular brands, so a lot of people would wear them. I wouldn't mind hearing some of the lesser known colognes out there. Always nice to wear something that no one knows about!
    Last edited by mmoon24; 15th September 2012 at 07:25 AM.

Dependent

Default Re: New To The Cologne World...need help!

i live here in texas too.... man i hate the humidity so much lol makes it so much hotter then it really is. with a 40 dollar range i will give you a list. go sample them and find what you like. also you can also purchase decants for ones you love dont plan on wearing to often but dont want to pay such high prices.

allure homme edition blache
    allure homme sport
    dior homme
    dior homme intense
    le nuit de l homme
    rochas man

just based off my taste there are so many more! as for body wash. always unscented. dont want it to mix with what im wearing. i use the unscented dove body wash. same goes for deoterant unscented as well

an last but not least...... WELCOME!!!!! this place is amazing to learn
    Last edited by calilove; 15th September 2012 at 08:27 AM.
    1. Dior Homme Original
    2. Musc Ravaguer
    3. Portrait of a Lady
    4. Noir de Noir
    5. L Instant Guerlain pour Homme Extreme
    6. New Haarlem
    7. Pure Coffee
    8. Blu Mediterraneo Sicilian Almond
    9. Rose 31
    10. Spiritueuse Double Vanille

Noble Vetiver or Noble Cedre by Chopard. Both are on the woodsy and intellectual end of the spectrum. Dates, formal events and evenings.

For day time, mornings, fresh applications I suggest Eau Suvuage - Dior.
    for swap/sale:

Thanks for the tips guys. I'll be sure to check these out when I hit up the mall next time. Definitely stuff I either walked by last time, or just didn't come up when looking some colognes up.

Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millisime Imperial and Aventus are all very nice scents.

Bond #9 Riverside Dr. is another. It has great longevity and projection.

Also Bond #9 Wallstreet. It's pretty sweet smelling with a very nice dry down, imo.

You might also like Terre D'Hermes.

Bvlgari Man is very nice.

YSL La Nuit pour Homme is a great scent, especially since it will start to cool off soon.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Burberry London would be OK

In your pricepoint, your probably looking at either a cheaper designer or a smaller designer bottle on sale somewhere. Not knowing exactly what your tastes are, here are some decent frags you can usually find close to or under that price point:

Mugler Cologne - doesn't last super long, but smells nice, pleasing to most, and gets me some compliments here and there
    Rochas Man - I really like it, but more for evening wear - not so much of a daily or in hot weather for me
    Paco Rabanne XS - may not be quite up your alley, but it's a pretty decent quality & versatile frag for the price
    Boss Bottled - you can usually find a smaller bottle in you price range - pretty versatile, a little sweet, but masculine and usually well complimented
    Lanvin L'homme sport - another decent daily for the price - pretty versatile as well IMO
    Chrome Legend - don't know too much about this one, but supposedly good for the price and easy to wear for most
    Nautica Voyage - this ones actually not bad at all, especially for the cost I think it's a bargain
    Diesel Fuel for Life - you could just squeak in under 40 with discounts from a place like fragrancenet - very good designer frag IMO - lots of compliments with this one from the ladies
    You could test out some from Chanel's Allure line (I prefer the Sport Extreme), which tend to all be versatile, just likely a little out of the price range you stated.

Anyway, those are some of the top of my head, but should give you a starting point. If you dig around on the forums with a few searches on those, you'll also tend to find similar frags. There's also quite a few threads on decent quality frags that are still pretty cheap. Good luck man!
    Currently wearing: Ombré Leather by Tom Ford

Geez, some of the stuff you guys are listing are a bit crazy in the price range lol.

Basenotes Plus

You think UT-Austin is the number one party school? You texans need to get out more, haha just kidding.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    Noble Vetiver or Noble Cedre by Chopard. Both are on the woodsy and intellectual end of the spectrum. Dates, formal events and evenings.

For day time, mornings, fresh applications I suggest Eau Suvuage - Dior.

this is more for the older gentlemen imo

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mmoon24 View Post
    Thanks for the tips guys. I'll be sure to check these out when I hit up the mall next time. Definitely stuff I either walked by last time, or just didn't come up when looking some colognes up.
    the ones i posted if you do your online shopping they will be fairly cheap
    1. Dior Homme Original
    2. Musc Ravaguer
    3. Portrait of a Lady
    4. Noir de Noir
    5. L Instant Guerlain pour Homme Extreme
    6. New Haarlem
    7. Pure Coffee
    8. Blu Mediterraneo Sicilian Almond
    9. Rose 31
    10. Spiritueuse Double Vanille

I'd recommend L'Anarchiste by Caron for indoor/airconditioned events as well as the colder months of the year. It's incredibly distinctive and smells great. Plus there is a nifty little trick in that the copper bottle ads a subtle patina to the scent which changes it slightly over time making each unique. You can pick it up for around $30 but the packaging/presentation and quality all punch well above its weight. You're very unlikely to come across anyone else wearing it.

Another possibibility for a cooler weather/indoor/nightime scent is Mandarina Duck Pure Black which you should be able to find for around $40 if you shop around online. This is quite distinctive too and the scent itself is very female-friendly, I've had numerous compliments wearing this scent. On the plus side it has a nice masculine edge so it feels good to wear as well.

Also while Noble Vetiver might smell a little like something an older man might wear (I don't think it does, it's just a solid dark vetiver) Noble Cedar is more versatile. It's a well-mannered fragrance which doesn't project strongly, though it lasts quite nicely, making it good for situations where you do not want to seem too loud. The smell itself is refined, masculine and pleasant.

L’Occitane Eau des Baux is one I picked up recently, and have yet to really get to grips with, but based on the many positive reviews and the wearings I've had - and the couple of compliments I've recieved - I've got to give it the nod. Ignore the ugly bottle. The juice inside is brilliant.

I can't help you out much with hot weather scents unfortunately. The only ones I wear which I consider great are too expensive, but if you really shop around you might be able to find some Annick Goutal's like Duel, Eau de Hadrian and Eau de Sud which are all great summer scents for around $50

Basenotes Junkie

Burberry London is not good in hot weather in my experience.
    Most of your other choices would work.
    YSL L'Homme is probably the most popular everyday fragrance right now. Check it out.
    Nothing wrong with Armani Code. It's a solid fragrance, but probably best for evenings out.

You can get splits of the more expensive scents like Creed here. You can find them in your price range, maybe a bit more.

Quote Originally Posted by mlsweeney View Post
    You think UT-Austin is the number one party school? You texans need to get out more, haha just kidding.
    Challenge accepted...

Lol, but in all seriousness, I really appreciate all the different colognes you guys have recommended. So many to go over! I wish I could narrow the list down a bit more. Where do you guys do your shopping to find a good price?

Considering the weather in TX and the price range I would reccomend, in no particular order, Blue Seduction by Antonio Banderas, Ferrari Uomo, Ferrari Black, Moschino Uomo, Swiss Army Altitude, Ecko by Marc Ecko, Usher VIP, Tommy Bahama. All fall under the 40 range.

You could also try Dolce & Gabanna Pour Homme and Dolce & Gabanna The One, the smaller bottles run around 40.

Boss Bottled. Gosh, I'd love to get my hands on a bottle of this. If only I didnt have 30+ bottles that are 97%+ full

Given your list, I will back the Versace Pour Homme recommendation. I will also suggest Gucci Pour Homme II.

So I went back to the mall and I came back with a totally different list x_x.

I got a chance to spray some of the colognes on cards, and then carried them around so I could get an idea of how they smelled like as time went on. Bvlgari seemed to fade rather quickly. A guy at Nordstrom recommended me YSL La Nuit and Ferragamo Black. Both smelled really good.

And I've read about another one online that I hope I can find, Mugler Cologne. I hear it has a Irish Spring scent to it (which I'm a fan of).

So yeah, this will be my last time asking...something for everyday use. Hot to warm weather + casual dining + work.

YSL La Nuit
    Ferragamo Black
    Mugler Cologne

Fragrances smell different on cards than on skin (often drastically). Fragrances smell different after the first hour than they do from hour 2-on (often drastically). Card sniffing is fine for a general impression but make sure to do the wrist test (one spray of La Nuit on one wrist and one of Mugler on the other, sniff, wait an hour or so, sniff again).

For hot, humid weather, generally you want to avoid really heavy fragrances or very sweet fragrances (La Nuit is a sweet fragrance and probably not a great every day day scent, its older brother l'homme would likely fair better). Ask for samples (I literally got a la nuit vial sample among others from Nordstrom earlier today). Sephora will give you a sample of about anything.

If you are in hot weather a lot (which you are), I'd definitely consider Millesime Imperial by Creed or even Green Irish Tweed (which I've never personally tried) by Creed as well.

I know you said your budget is only $40, but for $70 you can get the aforementioned fragrances on here via splits.

I do have samples of La Nuit and Ferragamo Black sitting on my desk. Just need to find an appropriate time to use them. I'll make my decision based on whichever smells better.

And what/how do you split a cologne?

I would get YSL L'homme or La Nuit, and then get in on one of the 50 ml Aventus splits in the splits forum. Ive been very impressed with Aventus, both to my own nose and also from compliments with all of the cute girls I work with. It also works very well in the Texas heat (I'm in DFW).

Dependent

Mugler cologne should be easy to find. I know I have seen it at Macy's. I also agree with the split suggestions for Green Irish Tweed. Just visit the splits board here http://www.basenotes.net/forums/142-...e-Splits-Board and search from there.

no explanation required.

So, I finally made my decision for my first cologne. I've decided to go with the YSL Live Jazz. I have to admit, it's a bit of a blind buy, cause I only got to try Jazz at all the stores I went too. Mugler Cologne will definitely be on my list, but it just seemed like too much of a enhanced Irish Spring scent, and that's something I'd prefer not having when it comes to "colognes".

Thanks for the tips!

Banned

Dior Aqua Fahrenheit.

Banned

Live Jazz by Yves Saint Laurent is a good choice, see my impressions below ↓↓↓:

Live Jazz by Yves Saint Laurent - One is initially treated to a citric blast of bittersweetness from tangy grapefruit and zesty lemon. Sweet spearmint invades the citrus duet, and, with its brightness, fosters a refreshing and cooling sensation. This invigorating medley brews for a spell before meandering to the adaptive middle. Here, in the heart, heaps of coriander, with its spicy and faintly sweet grassiness, commingle with the tart and vegetal rhubarb leaf, and envelop the opening concoction infusing it with warmth and greenness. A faint strawlike something twinkles in the background, along with the minty citrus. Transitioning to the waiting base, dusty and dry cedar, somewhat floral and honeyed ambergris and a tinge of vanilla intermingle to generate a pleasing drydown. This all-season composition has average projection, after an hour becoming a skin scent, and longevity, 5-8 hours. In view of the foregoing as well as its favorable price point and wonderful versatility, an enthusiastic "thumbs up" is warranted.

But, do try:

L'Essence de Cerruti by Cerruti - One is initially treated to an invigorating bergamot, with its orangey bittersweetness and peppery facets. The freshness of the bergamot commingles with the compost-like and ever-so-slight barnyard aspects of white pepper. Segueing to the middle, the mintiness of birch encases the fresh opening, and infuses its wintergreen sweetness. A raw and somewhat phenolic leather wafts in the background along with the hay-like character of saffron. Transitioning to the comforting base, a creamy cedar infuses its resinous and camphoraceous woodiness, along with the sweetly vanillic and faintly earthy quality of amber. A sensual, fur/skin-like and warm musk also presents. An alluring drydown ensues. This masculine composition is well blended, and has good longevity, 8+ hours, and average projection, being light enough for an office scent. Given its very reasonable, price point, this versatile and somewhat elegant composition is worthy of purchase.

&

Burberry Brit for Men by Burberry
    - Upon application, one is greeted with a spirited, spicy citrus, furnished by the green mandarin, bergamot, ginger and cardamom. This zesty confluence meanders to its middle, where a spicy wood, from its cedarwood and nutmeg, joins in creating a pleasant, vanillish aura. This melange is slowly infiltrated by the lovely, wild roses, adding a powdery dimension to the heart. As the citrus dies away and the heart's spicy sweetness prevails, it joins the strengthening base, with its grey musk, tonka bean and oriental woods, to enhance the powdery vanilla superimposed on a woody, musky background. This pleasing and complex composition renders a clean and fresh vibe, and has good projection and longevity.

&

your second bottle should be Ferragamo Black
    that is a serious compliment getter and you can get it online for $35

You may want to look into these:

Mugler Cologne
    Nautica Voyage

But if I were you, I'd save another 20 dollars or so and try to get a bottle of Terre D'Hermes, Guerlain Homme, or Bleu de Chanel. They're perfect for what you're looking for.

Good luck...and let us know what you finally get!