Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Default Penhaligon's fragrances

I LOVE most of what I have smelled by Penhaligon's but have trouble with the longevity. Many of the fragrances disappear before I even get to work. Anyway, what is your favorite Penhaligon's fragrance? Mine is Opus 1870, but I also Like Blenheim Bouquet. It was made for Lord Randolph (Winston Churchill's father ).
    For Sale: VINTAGE Montales

Default Re: Penhaligon's fragrances

Blenheim and Opus really smell nice. My favourite is Eau Sans Pareil and I'm curious how Endymion smells like

I have smelled most of them and I like Opus 1870 the best as well. Just love the way the peppery cedar and the rose combine.

Blog Entries

Anyone smell Juniper Sling yet?

I own Castile It's a great fragrance for Spring & Summer.

I own Hammam Bouquet and LP No9 Male from the men's collections. No problems with longevity on my skin. But I do have skin which grabs and refuses to let fragrance go until at least 4 hours have passed. LOL
    DONNA

I smelled the entire line while in Las Vegas at the Wynn hotel. The have a small (I mean S-M-A-L-L) hole in the wall boutique just off the main gaming floor inside the wynn. There they have perfumers organ style array of the Penhaligons scents ready to smell with paper stripps already prepped with the scent on them.

My favorite while I was there was Sartorial

This was a great way to experience the whole the collection... that is, if you have a nose that can stand up to such a multi-faceted scentual barrage as this is.

Banned

I can only give you my impressions of one ↓↓↓:

Sartorial by Penhaligon's - Upon application, one is treated to a remarkable, barbershop accord. This clean melange is an amalgamation of the green, mowed grass of violet leaf, the sour, orangey neroli, the mildly sweet cardamom, the spicy black pepper as well as the candied sharpness of ginger. An interesting aura of ephemeral steam as well as an errant, metallic something intrude; and aldehydes impart their laundered-linen effect. Meandering to the awaiting middle, muguet-like cyclamen, sweetly green linden bloosom, as well as the freshness of lavender lovingly add their veiled, floral facets to the somewhat stuffy opening. This exquisite heart is wonderfully showered with earthy and buttery beeswax yielding a slightly carmelized blend, while hints of leather flitter about. Transitioning to the commonplace base, balsamic gurgum wood, clean oakmoss, dry cedar, fleeting driftwood, vanillic tonka bean, boggy patchouli, soapy white musk, faintly powdery amber, woody myrrh as well as some source of oiliness, all combine as the groundwork for the refreshing drydown. Albeit this composition is constructed and layered well, it is nonetheless just another barbershoppy, oldmanish fragrance, with good longevity and projection.

I have Elixer, which I LOVE and Zinzonia, which is ok. I would love to have Night Stock! The decant smells amazing!

Blog Entries

Sartorial sounds fascinating. I haven't tried it yet, I'll need to buy a sample somewhere. I am wearing Quercus as I type this...I find myself lifting my collar and sniffing b/c though I Love the scent, it has no projection on me. Like many things British, it is an understatement in a world of brash overstatements...

Quote Originally Posted by Doog View Post
    I own Castile It's a great fragrance for Spring & Summer.
    I love this one for Spring/Summer too. It does not last long on my skin, however.

My favorite is Endymion--a lightly spicy oriental, very smooth and elegant with a fantastic dry and understated coffee note.

I also liked Sartorial when I sampled it and thought Elixir was pretty good too.

I have Endymion and it is very good - ultra smooth, elegant, understated, and luxurious smelling. To my nose, it smells a LOT like A-Men without the tar or harshness . Like others have mentioned, longevity and silage are poor. Even after spraying it on hard (10-20 sprays in all the right places, including clothes), it's gone in 3-4 hours.

Love: 1870, Blenheim Bouquet, Douro Eau de Portugal and Endymion

Like: Sartorial, Castile, Zizonia, Artemisia and Amaranthine
    We're all in the same game; just different levels. Dealing with the same hell; just different devils.

Wanted

My colleague wears Sartorial and likes it. Personally don't care for it though.

Seek out older bottles on eBay. They used to be a LOT better.

Blenheim Bouquet had very good longevity on me.

Lp. No 9 for Men is lovely. Upon my first application my reaction was HOLY SHIT CLOVES. However, as time wore on, I found myself wanting to smell that every single day that winter. I usually had it on the bathroom counter because there was a span where I did wear it every night, as it provided a warming sensation.

I guess leaving it on the counter was a poor decision because I return home one day to find that my cat had knocked it over and it lay there broken.

A con of tile flooring.

Blog Entries

My two favorite Penhaligon fragrances are Castile and Sartorial. They both last on me a long time, fortunately.

Blenheim Bouquet is much beloved by a lot of traditional types. I find it to be the second most fleeting fragrance I've ever tried.
    (Trumpers Lime is first). Maybe it's an anosmic thing with me, but with Blenheim, I get about 5 minutes of a lemon drop smell and then.....zippo.

But Penhaligons Racquets, Sartorial and English Fern last quite, quite well on me. Racquets and Sartorial two favorites of mine.

Endymion not so much longevity for me.

They're all generally good with Opus 1870 being slightly above average and Sartorial being simply fantastic.

Green Fern is supposed to be a classic fougere.

for swap/sale:

Elixir is my favorte so far. I found Amaranthine and LP. No 9 For Her very good. Really hated Sartorial.

I still need to explore this line more, but I like how they've distinguished their aesthetic and have a humorous, whimsical promotional aspect. ( The more I'm into perfume the less I like "Serious Masterpiece for Aspirational Figures" type of ads ).

I haven't found one that I like enough to buy, but I'm always impressed with the flower ones - bluebell, gardenia, etc. I also like the intense candy smell of the violet one, but I'm not sure I want to smell like it. Popped in yesterday and got a sample of the new Peony one, which is very pretty.

I should probably check out the more "masculine" ones.

I'm excited about Peoneve, despite not liking the name. ( Night of the Peons? ) Lush smells like tuberose and gardenia are scents that might come across a bit too manicured in a Penhaligons scent, but the reticent smell of peonies seems right up their alley.

Basenotes Plus

Penhaligon's style's right up my alley. I have not tried the entire range but I found myself enjoying Artemisia, Douro, Endymion, Sartorial, LP No 9, Victorian Posy, Blenheim Bouquet, Amaranthine and Racquets. I don't care for Juniper Sling though. I feel the latest Pen, Peoneve is an elegant lightly spiced floral that wears well on either gender. Gotta agree with Suga, I can't imagine Penhaligon doing lush bouquets or creamy indolic florals.

English Fern is one of my favorite fragrances of all time. It easily lasts all day when I wear it.

I used to wear LP#9 before it became unavailalbe and it lasted all day. I bought it again when it came out again and found it didn't last long.

There are some frags in Penhaligon's newer Anthology which have zero, ZERO lasting power. I'm not talking about the light aura of an edc. I'm saying no olfactory sensation whatever after 10 minutes max.

Among Penhaligon's more classic frags, I've always found that Hamman Bouquet has excellent longevity, lingering throughout a whole day sometimes. Also agree with all the votes for Elixir - longevity plus great development, from the fleeting eucalyptus steam in the top to the deeper spice notes later.

I have found that Hammam Bouquet has superb longevity. Blenheim Bouquet's longevity is also very good. Both of them last forever when applied to fabric. I think their tenacity a bit of a flaw, actually. I would prefer them to be less tenacious, so that I could have the pleasure of occasionally re-applying: especially Hammam Bouquet. I generally abstain from the Holy Grail school of thought, but if Hammam Bouquet existed in base-less eau de cologne form, I would have found exactly such a chalice. (Coincidentally, I posted a review of Blenheim Bouquet a little earlier, but imagine it won't be up for some days or weeks.)

Blog Entries

I've tried several Penhaligon's fragrances last weekend, and found out that I really like Elixir and Lp. No. 9 for Men. I'm leaning towards purchasing the latter.

Great house. Have not explored it but really love and own Sartorial.

Racquets Formula and LP 9 For Men are great scents and offer great longevity for me... love Sartorial, Opus 1870, Endymion and Douro but they don't hang around half as long, unfortunately.

Banned

Opus 1870.

1870 is great but take the bottle with you as it fades so quickly!
    my current bottles

cuir de russie chanel
    guerlain vetiver
    colonia intensa AdParma
    1870 opus penhaligons
    london burberry
    prada amber pour homme
    guerlain homme l'eau boisee
    YSL rive gauche pour homme
    Eux des Baux L'Occitane
    diptyque 34 Boulevard Saint Germain

Blog Entries

I never understood the concept of liking a fragrance that didn't last. I apply them so that I can catch whiffs of them all day. I have seen several folks on Basenotes say they don't care about the longevity of a frag. but If you must carry it with you and reapply, or have it disappear before you reach work, what benefit is that? At $150/bottle, wouldn't you rather apply 3 spritzes in the morning, and still sniff it at bedtime? I saw a post above say "I apply 10-20 spritzes..." The bottle won't last very long at that rate!!!!

Ideally, I agree frags should last long. But they also have to smell good - and certain materials simply cannot last long. A case is citrus, for instance Castile. To me, it starts with a wonderful lemony burst. Then, instead of bowing out like all eau de cologne, it lingers with a synthetic unpleasant musk, becoming more and more obnoxious as it stays.

cacio

I've not familiarised myself with their whole range but I did buy a bottle of Quercus about 15yrs ago and, despite it having a note that gave me a bit of a headache, I managed to use the whole bottle. Very enjoyable (with a paracetamol.) As I remember, it did stay fairly close. I got better projection spraying it on my clothes.

As Cacio said. There are limitations inherent to working with materials made of small molecules. The only ways around this problem are to replace them with synthetics (ie. to not use them), or to try to have them stick to heavy bases. The latter option does not always work aesthetically; but sometimes it does. I tend to have good longevity with everything I use that is of EdT concentration or better. The only exception I can think of is Monsieur de Givenchy, from which I get a mere 4 or 5 hours; but I am still devoted to it. Lately, I have really been enjoying Blenheim Bouquet. It has excellent longevity, and a base dominated by a dry _pepper_ that I find unusual. Three or four spritzes suffices for the day. More than that, and I'd notice it too much.

Own and enjoy Hammam Bouquet. Wouldn't necessarily call it blind buy material though.

1. Opus 1870
    2. Douro eau de Portugal
    3. Elixir
    4. Castile
    5. Blenheim Bouquet

I've owned Endymion, Douro, Opus 1870, and LP no 9. The only one I currently own is Sartorial, it's wonderful.

I have a 2 ml sample of Sartorial. It's a nice scent. But as one reviewer described it..an expensive version of Brut!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I have a bottle of LP9 and 1870.
    Probably getting a bottle of Castile too.
    Would like to try Hammam Bouquet.

I bought Castile a few years ago and regret it.

I remember English Fern used to smell much better than it does now, I am assuming IFRA intervention screwed that one up.

I have tried Sartorial, Opus, Elixir (that was an 'almost', haven't completely ruled it out) the new Iris one - been thru samples of them, and generally worked my way thru the line over the last few years and I haven't found one I would want to buy yet - not for the lack of trying.

Elixir is one of my favorits. Will I like Hammam Bouquet?

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    Elixir is one of my favorits. Will I like Hammam Bouquet?
    Yes.

for swap/sale:

Got quite a few from Penhaligons but my favourite by a long way is English Fern which gets through a day pretty easily on my skin

1870, Lavandular, Endymion, LP no9, Sartorial - these guys stand out to me. I really like Penhaligons stuff
    Top 5
    1. Gucci PH2
    2. Aventus
    3. Hermes Un Jardin Méditerranée
    4. Creed GIT
    5. Dior Homme/Intense

Current swap list found here ... http://tinyurl.com/9udvk8q

I share your concern about the longevity of most of the fragrances. Sartorial is by FAR the longest lasting fragrance in the men's range. It's the only one people can still smell on me hours after first application. Eau Sans Pareil and LP No. 9 also aren't bad in terms of longevity. My favourites are Elixir, Opus 1870 and Iris Prima, all of which score moderately in terms of longevity, apart from the latter. Elixir is one of my favourite scents of all time though.