Code of Conduct

Default Emeraude: a less complex Shalimar?

I happened to get across a vintage bottle, could not refrained myself from trying the blend and, well, as many have said, it was true, it is very close to Shalimar. Later, a comparisson between these two left me with the feeling that Emeraude is its humble sister: no smokyness, not so many midnotes, it feels like Emeraude gets to the point without so much ado.

Could it be that Jacques Guerlain decided to improve Coty's creation?

Default Re: Emeraude: a less complex Shalimar?

Shalimar is too sweet for me, as well as being too simple (vintage EdC). I find Emeraude (vintage PdT) to be more complex and balanced better. I do like Shalimar Light (haven't tried Eau de Shalimar), and would not think of either Shalimar I have as being related to Emeraude.

Thanks Bigsly! I forgot to mention that this is a local version of Emeraude, and vintage... say dating from the 1980's maybe. The Shalimar I am referring to is a very old extrait (Grandma's, and she died in 1992) and an EdT which I guess dates from the late 1990's.

Anyway, I enjoyed Emeraude more than Shalimar, specially the drydown (to the point I am thinking of getting a big bottle of it). I know perfumes have no gender, but alas, I find Shalimar quite girlier. I feel more comfy wearing Emeraude.

I find vintage Third Man to be closer to Emeraude PdT than Shalimar, which goes really sweet/ambery. Anyway, from what I've read you should only get the PdT of Emeraude. That's the only one I've tried.

Guerlain must have certainly been inspired by Emeraude, which is supposed to be the first oriental. In the same way as he was inspired by Coty's Chypre for Mitsouko. But I wouldn't say it's an improvement. Shalimar, as you say, has smoke, whereas Emeraude goes for a sorty of fresh-minty note, so it's a matter of preference.

Also, is your vintage Emeraude a parfum? I haven't smelled Emeraude parfum, but I would assume that parfums are richer.

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    ... Also, is your vintage Emeraude a parfum? I haven't smelled Emeraude parfum, but I would assume that parfums are richer.

cacio
    Nope, I wish it were. I think it is an EdC: I got a small bottle, but the rest in stock were huge (around 15 and 20 Oz).