Code of Conduct

Default Recommend me a signature fragrance...

First off, a bit of myself and I am a male. Just finished uni. Gonna start working soon. I am from Singapore where it is HOT all year long with some rain. I am looking for a fragrance I can wear any day, any time and something that females preferably love. Something I can wear on a date or on a boys' night out or just going to town.

I have not owned many fragrances. First was RL Polo Black, then Gucci by Gucci, Burberry The Brit Limited Ed and my last was Gucci Pour Homme II.

After reading reviews and watching YouTube videos, currently decided on Armani Acqua Di Gio. The popularity isn't really a problem on this tiny island since every guy seems to go for Davidoff's Cool Water instead. Also considering other fragrances such as JPG Le Male, Paco Rabbane One Million, Chanel Allure, D&G The One and Thierry Mugler A*Men. Any opinions or thoughts are much appreciated.
    Last edited by Shanker; 16th September 2012 at 03:16 AM.

Dependent

Default Re: Recommend me a signature fragrance...

chanel allure homme sport
    chanel allure homme edition blache
    git
    viw
    mi
    riverside drive
    1. Dior Homme Original
    2. Musc Ravaguer
    3. Portrait of a Lady
    4. Noir de Noir
    5. L Instant Guerlain pour Homme Extreme
    6. New Haarlem
    7. Pure Coffee
    8. Blu Mediterraneo Sicilian Almond
    9. Rose 31
    10. Spiritueuse Double Vanille

Welcome!

Aqua di Gio is an aquatic and is certainly fresh (as would be, for instance, Eau d'Issey). I am not a fan of aquatics because I find them too synthetic. For freshness, I prefer vetiver, which is greener and more vegetal (example, Tom Ford Grey Vetiver). But, as usual, it is a matter of preferences. The other frags you were considering are warmer and sweeter, so they would be of a different type; le Male is probably the smoothest of the group.

As for what the intended female target likes, always hard to guess - women (and men) all have different tastes...

cacio

Sound Scents

Well Acqua di Gio is certainly a safe option that women tend to generally like. My recommendation is another popular one (but from the relatively recent past) in original Polo (Green).
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie

Givenchy Vetyver

The ones you mentioned are not really ok for warm and humid weather, they're the warm/sweet type.

Check Chanel Platinum Egoiste, Issey Miyake L'Eau d'Issey Intense, Thierry Mugler Cologne, Hermes Voyage, Guerlain Homme L'Eau Boisee, Cartier Declaration Cologne & Roadster/ R Sport, Azzaro PH L'Eau.

+1 on Creed Millesime Imperial, Creed Virgin Island Water and Chanel Allure Homme Edition Blanche. I'd also like to add Creed Erolfa, L'Humaniste, Bleu de Chanel and because it's bound to get mentioned sooner or later, Creed Aventus.

Aventus
    Chanel Platinum Egoiste
    Bleu de Chanel
    YSL L'Homme

If you are in a hot climate a lot, it's basically the gods of fragrance begging you to wear Millesime Emperial and Virgin Island Water by Creed.

Most of the Creed's mentioned generally work well in warmer weather:
    GIT, Aventus, MI, VIW, Original Vetiver & Erolfa - you can usually get in a split here on BN for most of these at a good price.
    I'd also second Chanel Platinum Egoiste or any of the Allure series really (just test them out to see which one stands out best for you and works best on your skin in the hotter weather). PE, however, always does very well for me in warmer weather.
    I also love Riverside Drive, but prefer other in the really warm weather.
    Several of the Azzaro Chrome series generally work well in the warmer weather, as well as Nautica Voyage, Bulgari Aqua & Aqua Marine.

If you're into aquatics, definitely go for Bleu de Chanel. Good for most weather conditions, inoffensive and good.

Basenotes Junkie

You've had some great fragrances in the past. It would be a shame to move backwards and get something really boring and overdone like Acqua di Gio. Instead, I'd suggest Bleu de Chanel, Chanel Allure Homme Sport, Aventus, Bvlgari Pour Homme Soir, Mugler cologne, Dior Homme or Azzaro Chrome.

Le Male, 1 Million, and A*Men are decent smells, but they are not good everyday fragrances that can be worn in hot weather, so they do not fit your criteria.

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndBakeryAttack View Post
    You've had some great fragrances in the past. It would be a shame to move backwards and get something really boring and overdone like Acqua di Gio. Instead, I'd suggest Bleu de Chanel, Chanel Allure Homme Sport, Aventus, Bvlgari Pour Homme Soir, Mugler cologne, Dior Homme or Azzaro Chrome.

Le Male, 1 Million, and A*Men are decent smells, but they are not good everyday fragrances that can be worn in hot weather, so they do not fit your criteria.
    Always wanted to Creed MI, been hearing too many good things about it but I can't really find it locally. It's like the Creed brand doesn't exist here.

Anyway, I had to make a decision as I made the order with a friend of mine. Went with ADG and that was before the replies started coming in here. I know for sure I can get the Azzaro Chrome on a local site. Not sure of the rest. Might just get it.

Anyway, thanks for the replies guys! Hope I don't regret the ADG.

You are the only one that answer that question. Sample, sample, and sample some more. Personally I don't know what a signature fragrance is, or would even consist of. It has always seemed to me that whatever fragrance you happen to be wearing on any particular day is leaving somewhat of a signature of yourself. I do have a favorite fragrance, and that id JHL marketed by Aramis. Personally I think this is the finest fragrance that has ever been created for a man. Now having said that some people would never wear this fragrance, and that's fine.

This only goes to confirm my views on fragrances, and that is that the only universal truth about fragrances is that there is no universal truth on fragrances. So good luck on your quest. I also don't necessarily think it is of much importance for me to have a signature fragrance, as if I did it probably only change when I tired of it, and or found that I found a fragrance that I think I might have liked a little better. If any of this makes any sense...Just a view from the cheap seat's.
    Don't panic. Just stay calm, and reload....

Mugler Cologne
    Prada Amber Pour Homme

Bleu de Chanel
    "If you enjoy the fragrance of a rose, you must accept the thorns which it bears."
    -Isaac Hayes

Banned

Diptyque Vetyverio.

Banned

Do try:

Bleu de Chanel by Chanel - One is immediately greeted with a very fresh, citrus pas de trois by the tangy orange tree, the tart lemon tree and the zesty grapefruit. Warm pink peppercorn as well as a well-developed peppermint join in to make a very crisp cocktail as it flows to the waiting middle. Wonderfully, spicy and sweet nutmeg and a somewhat penetrating ginger, floating on an ethereal cloud of sweet jasmine, subsume the delightful opening. The lighthearted heart is drawn to the strong, woody base with its dry cedar and bright and fresh sandalwood, along with a smattering of evocative incense. The welcoming base is augmented by patchouli with its slight peppery, herbaceous aspects, vetiver with its earthy grassiness as well as radiant labdanum imparting a sweet and salty, vegetal, mossy facet. Thence, the resplendent base meanders to its soft drydown. Really an all-season scent thriving in spring, summer and fall, this mainstream scent is subtly nuanced enough to set it apart. This pleasantly refreshing composition has good longevity and good projection.

But, I would avoid The One for Men by Dolce & Gabbana, because of its poor projection and longevity.

&