Code of Conduct

Default Serge Lutens Tubereuse Criminelle

I received my bottle of Tubereuse Criminelle yesterday. To me this is another Tuberose that could easily be worn by a man. The menthol wintergreen note seems to stay on me for awhile but in the background. This instantly reminds me of spring time growing up. I'm not sure if we had tuberose around the house but it brought back that association.
    Ointment and perfume rejoice the heart: so doth the sweetness of a man's friend by hearty counsel. Proverbs 27:9 KJV

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: Serge Lutens Tubereuse Criminelle

I agree. It has that bracing sort of bite in the top notes that can be addictive. It also manages NOT to smell tropical & coconut-y like so many other tuberose scents do.

Real tuberose flowers are quite amazing. They have a meaty, very rubbery sort of smell. Almost animalic.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

This happens to be one of my daughters favorite tuberose scents. It really does have what Luckyscent refers to as that "tiger balm" vibe. I can't manage wearing this myself but its smell is riveting.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I agree. It has that bracing sort of bite in the top notes that can be addictive. It also manages NOT to smell tropical & coconut-y like so many other tuberose scents do.

Real tuberose flowers are quite amazing. They have a meaty, very rubbery sort of smell. Almost animalic.
    Would Serge Lutens Cedre be a good one to try next?
    Ointment and perfume rejoice the heart: so doth the sweetness of a man's friend by hearty counsel. Proverbs 27:9 KJV

I agree with your liking for it.

Cedre is nice, a bit woody, but to me nowhere near as interesting as TC.

Since you've tried Tubereuse la animale and Carnal Flower, I think the next one could be $$$$ JAR Bolt of Lightning.

cacio

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Rev320 View Post
    Would Serge Lutens Cedre be a good one to try next?
    I cannot stand Cedre so I am not a good person to ask.

Have you tried Private Collection Tuberose Gardenia by Estee Lauder? Or Nuit de Tuberose by L'Artisan Parfumeur? Or those three series of tuberose scents that Histoiries de Parfums did (1, 2, & 3)? If not try those.

-- Jack Kerouac

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I cannot stand Cedre so I am not a good person to ask.

Have you tried Private Collection Tuberose Gardenia by Estee Lauder? Or Nuit de Tuberose by L'Artisan Parfumeur? Or those three series of tuberose scents that Histoiries de Parfums did (1, 2, & 3)? If not try those.
    I own Tubereuse Animale by Histoires de Parfums and really enjoy it. It is my first tuberose fragrance and has me interested in trying others. Thanks for your input I'll look around for those to try.

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    I agree with your liking for it.

Cedre is nice, a bit woody, but to me nowhere near as interesting as TC.

Since you've tried Tubereuse la animale and Carnal Flower, I think the next one could be $$$$ JAR Bolt of Lightning.

cacio
    I haven't had a chance to try Carnal Flower yet. I hate ordering samples so usually I'll just blind buy based on my likes and reviews from others. Carnal Flower is a little pricey to blind buy so I'll have to hunt down a sample. JAR Bolt of Lightning is out of my price range. I appreciate your suggestions though.

Count me in amongst the fans. Easily one of my favorite Lutens. Beside the increibly intoxicating opening, I also find the smooth, velvety dry down to be pretty satisfying. Mucho love.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Basenotes Junkie

I received my bottle of Tubereuse Criminelle yesterday. To me this is another Tuberose that could easily be worn by a man. The menthol wintergreen note seems to stay on me for awhile but in the background. This instantly reminds me of spring time growing up. I'm not sure if we had tuberose around the house but it brought back that association.
    I love Geranium Pour Monsieur, with the minty note superimposed over the floral heart. If anyone has exposure to both, is there the same general vibe? This might be a nice addition, if so.

Basenotes Institution

...I haven't had a chance to try Carnal Flower yet. I hate ordering samples so usually I'll just blind buy based on my likes and reviews from others. Carnal Flower is a little pricey to blind buy so I'll have to hunt down a sample. JAR Bolt of Lightning is out of my price range. I appreciate your suggestions though.
    You definitely need to sample Carnal Flower. When it was released it sort of turned everyone upside down in surprise, it was so good. It is very easy for a guy to pull it off, but as I mentioned above it has that coconut-y sort of of tropical vibe to it (not prominently, but it's there) and you have to like that sort of floral. But it's beautiful. It's not as 'feminine' smelling (not that I have anything wrong with wearing something that smells feminine) as say Fracas.

Quote Originally Posted by JourneymanDave View Post
    I love Geranium Pour Monsieur, with the minty note superimposed over the floral heart. If anyone has exposure to both, is there the same general vibe? This might be a nice addition, if so.
    GPM is super minty and the geranium is much more 'dirty' and aromatic. TC is not minty, it's mentholated and the floral note is a HUGE white floral. I don't agree that they have the same 'vibe'. I might be a bit biased, GPM just annoys the sh*t out of me, I can't stand it.

-- Jack Kerouac

I own Tubereuse Animale by Histoires de Parfums and really enjoy it. It is my first tuberose fragrance and has me interested in trying others. Thanks for your input I'll look around for those to try.
    If you've smelled Tubereuse Animale then you've basically smelled Cedre, the two smell really similar to each others.

Tubereuse Criminelle
    is also 1 of my 2 favorite tuberose fragrances, the other is Tubereuse Couture by PG. If Criminelle is night, mysterious and edge then Couture is day, flamboyant and glamorous, the sugar cane note used in it makes it the most unique fragrance I've ever smelled

Regarding Carnal Flower, IMO, it's a fragrance that define tuberose, very realistic and heady, however, after the amazing opening it does quickly dries down to this generic white floral base which makes it boring after a couple wearings. Btw, it's IMO very overpriced for what it really is

There is a quite nice tuberose that is often overlooked, La Chasse aux Papillons Extreme by L`Artisan Parfumeur, very male friendly IMO because the extra dose of pepper. Very interesting combo but very light and airy also
    Last edited by jasonx; 21st February 2014 at 04:05 AM.

wonderful scent, have five back ups!

Is it somewhat comparable to SL Datura Noir?