Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Who else thinks Reflection Man by Amouage is overpriced/overrated?

Don't get me wrong, it's a great fragrance, but it reminds me of a more refined Le Male by Jean Paul Gaultier. Therefore, I don't think that it is worth the high price tag and I would rather just stick with buying Le Male since it smells somewhat similar to Reflection Man. What do you guys think?

Default Re: Who else thinks Reflection Man by Amouage is overpriced/overrated?

There are many Amouage fragrances that I like, Reflection Man is not one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Scentfanatic1631 View Post
    There are many Amouage fragrances that I like, Reflection Man is not one of them.
    I agree. Amouage has many other fragrances that are much better than Reflection Man.

Oh, good God, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonyprince View Post
    Oh, good God, yes.
    lol I'm happy to see that I'm not the only one!

Yes, it is both overpriced and overrated. I prefer Le Male.
    Current top 10 (No order):

1. Pure Havane
    2. Menthe Fraiche
    3. Tobacco Vanille
    4. L'Air Du Desert Marocain
    5. Green Irish Tweed
    6. Fahrenheit
    7. Musc Ravageur
    8. Tonka Imperial
    9. Gucci Pour Homme II
    10. Dior Homme Intense

Quote Originally Posted by amw9490 View Post
    Yes, it is both overpriced and overrated. I prefer Le Male.
    I completely agree with you. Le Male is a lot better and cheaper as well.

Banned

Of the six I've tried Reflection is the least appealing in my opinion.

Yeah, not a fan of this fragrance at all. The first thing that came to mind after sampling it was that it smelt very similar to Le Male. Definitely a rip off at that price point.

Quote Originally Posted by Awakening950 View Post
    Of the six I've tried Reflection is the least appealing in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliDude View Post
    Yeah, not a fan of this fragrance at all. The first thing that came to mind after sampling it was that it smelt very similar to Le Male. Definitely a rip off at that price point.

100% completely agree with you guys. Couldn't have said it better myself.

i don't like it either

Nor do I.

I can't stand Le Male but love Reflection. Indeed they share a similar vibe at first but completely different scents then...

I wonder how many of the Reflection haters gave it a full wearing instead of a wrist or a paper test?

Reflection is the dud of the lineup.

I think it is wonderful, uplifting, lasts all day and is unlike anything else I own (that said, I don't own Le Male! But I think the similarities are superficial only).

I argree with Hellhound. Maybe their opening notes smell quite familiar to eachother, but the drydown is completely different. With Amouage, you should test on your skin, let it live and shine. On paper, and with just 10 or 20minutes, I think you can't see the real beauty of Amouage scents. Reflection is a wonderful scent IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Gabe View Post
    Don't get me wrong, it's a great fragrance, but it reminds me of a more refined Le Male by Jean Paul Gaultier. Therefore, I don't think that it is worth the high price tag and I would rather just stick with buying Le Male since it smells somewhat similar to Reflection Man. What do you guys think?
    Does it really, or have your favourite youtube reviewers convinced you that it reminds you of it? That is a direct quote from several of their mouths and is becoming as cliched as [Burberry London] "Christmas in a bottle" amongst others.

I personally see no similarity and would take Reflection Man over Le Male any day (even though I enjoy Le Male) but have both in my collection.

I think that the dislike for this fragrance comes from the fact that it doesn't seem to fit with the rest of Amouage's line-up. I do like it and rank it amongst my favourite fragrances. I have no issue paying what Amouage ask for this.
    Visit my Wordwide Swap Thread here for niche and designer full bottle trades: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/305...tles-(UK-only)

And my Worldwide full bottle sale thread: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/306...S-(UK-EU-only)

I wore it a few times and I got no connection with Le Male. It smelled spicy and that's all. Not very great, but not that bad either.
    Currently wearing: Black Aoud by Montale

I like Amouage and own several of their fragrances: Gold, Silver, Dia, Jubilation XXV and Ciel but I did not enjoy Reflection from the sample I had. If you like this kind of style then I think Creeds Himalaya is much better.

Last time I went to the Amouage counter, it was the only tester that was nearly empty. Clearly very popular stuff. I see the comparisons with Le Male. Although even though I have Le Male, Reflection will probably be in my collection at some point.
    Currently wearing: Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

I like it, price is fine.

P.S.

(a) Reflection Man is priced at a lower point than some of the others in the line, I believe.
    (b) In HK Amouage is usually about 30% lower than in the US and we have no sales tax etc.
    (c) I have a 10% VIP discount at Lane Crawford, the sole distributor here.

If you don't like it then no price is going to make you happy. If you unable to discern any difference between Reflection Man and Le Male or whatever then stick with the cheaper one and good luck!
    Last edited by mr. reasonable; 16th September 2012 at 01:16 PM.

reflection man smells nothing like le male,as for being overpriced i got my bottle for £68 so i'm not complaining lol ..

To me, it only smells like Le Male at the very top and then it's very different the rest of the way through. It's price prohibitive, but IMHO Amouage is of the highest quality. I don't think it's overrated at all.

no, it only smells like bogarts arabian nights awful l may say, but more pleasurable

Reflection Man and Le Male are similar but I find Le Male too creamy and cloying and Reflection Man drier and cleaner.

Quite fond of it in a lurid fascination kind of way. I think it's cool that Amouage broke the line with Reflection Man. No, it does not remind me much of Le Male. I thought it was weird and somewhat horrible on first sniff, but it quickly grew on me. I now own a full bottle, and wear it pretty frequently. As stated elsewhere on BN, one of the tricks to enjoyment of Reflection Man is moderate application. Just a couple of sprays, please. A great scent for a casual day about town.

Overrated? Where? It's extremely underrated on BN.

Overpriced? Not if you enjoy it. In my opinion, LeMale is overpriced as i dislike it.

I think the comparison to LeMale says a lot about the person testing them, in other words, they have a poor sense of smell. They smell nothing alike.

Reflection Man is one of the best from the Amouage line up in my opinion but i can understand why it wouldn't suit everybody. I always receive compliments wearing this beauty.

Dependent

overrated
    1. Dior Homme Original
    2. Musc Ravaguer
    3. Portrait of a Lady
    4. Noir de Noir
    5. L Instant Guerlain pour Homme Extreme
    6. New Haarlem
    7. Pure Coffee
    8. Blu Mediterraneo Sicilian Almond
    9. Rose 31
    10. Spiritueuse Double Vanille

Reflection man is one of my least favorite Amouage offerings.

Whether it is overpriced or not is up to Amouage to decide based on sales, cost, etc... Whether or not it is worth it to you, it depends on how much you like it. Not worth it to me...
    Current Summer Favorites:

1. Creed - Original Cologne
    2. Xerjoff - Nio
    3. Creed - Aventus
    4. The Different Company - De Bachmakov
    5. Dior - Homme Sport 2008
    6. Tom Ford - Grey Vetiver
    7. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    8. Dior - Homme Sport 2012
    9. Tom Ford - Rive d'Ambre
    10. Creed - Virgin Island Water

Quote Originally Posted by mrcologneguy View Post
    Quite fond of it in a lurid fascination kind of way. I think it's cool that Amouage broke the line with Reflection Man. No, it does not remind me much of Le Male. I thought it was weird and somewhat horrible on first sniff, but it quickly grew on me. I now own a full bottle, and wear it pretty frequently. As stated elsewhere on BN, one of the tricks to enjoyment of Reflection Man is moderate application. Just a couple of sprays, please. A great scent for a casual day about town.

I agree. RM is a good anytime scent and my favorite of the Amouage lines. Chicks love it, too !