Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Who else thinks Reflection Man by Amouage is overpriced/overrated?

Don't get me wrong, it's a great fragrance, but it reminds me of a more refined Le Male by Jean Paul Gaultier. Therefore, I don't think that it is worth the high price tag and I would rather just stick with buying Le Male since it smells somewhat similar to Reflection Man. What do you guys think?

Default Re: Who else thinks Reflection Man by Amouage is overpriced/overrated?

There are many Amouage fragrances that I like, Reflection Man is not one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Scentfanatic1631 View Post
    There are many Amouage fragrances that I like, Reflection Man is not one of them.
    I agree. Amouage has many other fragrances that are much better than Reflection Man.

Oh, good God, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonyprince View Post
    Oh, good God, yes.
    lol I'm happy to see that I'm not the only one!

Yes, it is both overpriced and overrated. I prefer Le Male.
    Current top 10 (No order):

1. Pure Havane
    2. Menthe Fraiche
    3. Tobacco Vanille
    4. L'Air Du Desert Marocain
    5. Green Irish Tweed
    6. Fahrenheit
    7. Musc Ravageur
    8. Tonka Imperial
    9. Gucci Pour Homme II
    10. Dior Homme Intense

Quote Originally Posted by amw9490 View Post
    Yes, it is both overpriced and overrated. I prefer Le Male.
    I completely agree with you. Le Male is a lot better and cheaper as well.

Of the six I've tried Reflection is the least appealing in my opinion.

Yeah, not a fan of this fragrance at all. The first thing that came to mind after sampling it was that it smelt very similar to Le Male. Definitely a rip off at that price point.

Quote Originally Posted by Awakening950 View Post
    Of the six I've tried Reflection is the least appealing in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliDude View Post
    Yeah, not a fan of this fragrance at all. The first thing that came to mind after sampling it was that it smelt very similar to Le Male. Definitely a rip off at that price point.

100% completely agree with you guys. Couldn't have said it better myself.

i don't like it either

Nor do I.

I can't stand Le Male but love Reflection. Indeed they share a similar vibe at first but completely different scents then...

I wonder how many of the Reflection haters gave it a full wearing instead of a wrist or a paper test?

Reflection is the dud of the lineup.

I think it is wonderful, uplifting, lasts all day and is unlike anything else I own (that said, I don't own Le Male! But I think the similarities are superficial only).

I argree with Hellhound. Maybe their opening notes smell quite familiar to eachother, but the drydown is completely different. With Amouage, you should test on your skin, let it live and shine. On paper, and with just 10 or 20minutes, I think you can't see the real beauty of Amouage scents. Reflection is a wonderful scent IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Gabe View Post
    Don't get me wrong, it's a great fragrance, but it reminds me of a more refined Le Male by Jean Paul Gaultier. Therefore, I don't think that it is worth the high price tag and I would rather just stick with buying Le Male since it smells somewhat similar to Reflection Man. What do you guys think?
    Does it really, or have your favourite youtube reviewers convinced you that it reminds you of it? That is a direct quote from several of their mouths and is becoming as cliched as [Burberry London] "Christmas in a bottle" amongst others.

I personally see no similarity and would take Reflection Man over Le Male any day (even though I enjoy Le Male) but have both in my collection.

I think that the dislike for this fragrance comes from the fact that it doesn't seem to fit with the rest of Amouage's line-up. I do like it and rank it amongst my favourite fragrances. I have no issue paying what Amouage ask for this.
    Visit my Wordwide Swap Thread here for niche and designer full bottle trades: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/305...tles-(UK-only)

And my Worldwide full bottle sale thread: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/306...S-(UK-EU-only)

I wore it a few times and I got no connection with Le Male. It smelled spicy and that's all. Not very great, but not that bad either.

I like Amouage and own several of their fragrances: Gold, Silver, Dia, Jubilation XXV and Ciel but I did not enjoy Reflection from the sample I had. If you like this kind of style then I think Creeds Himalaya is much better.

Last time I went to the Amouage counter, it was the only tester that was nearly empty. Clearly very popular stuff. I see the comparisons with Le Male. Although even though I have Le Male, Reflection will probably be in my collection at some point.

I like it, price is fine.

P.S.

(a) Reflection Man is priced at a lower point than some of the others in the line, I believe.
    (b) In HK Amouage is usually about 30% lower than in the US and we have no sales tax etc.
    (c) I have a 10% VIP discount at Lane Crawford, the sole distributor here.

If you don't like it then no price is going to make you happy. If you unable to discern any difference between Reflection Man and Le Male or whatever then stick with the cheaper one and good luck!
    Last edited by mr. reasonable; 16th September 2012 at 02:16 PM.

reflection man smells nothing like le male,as for being overpriced i got my bottle for £68 so i'm not complaining lol ..

To me, it only smells like Le Male at the very top and then it's very different the rest of the way through. It's price prohibitive, but IMHO Amouage is of the highest quality. I don't think it's overrated at all.

no, it only smells like bogarts arabian nights awful l may say, but more pleasurable

Reflection Man and Le Male are similar but I find Le Male too creamy and cloying and Reflection Man drier and cleaner.

Quite fond of it in a lurid fascination kind of way. I think it's cool that Amouage broke the line with Reflection Man. No, it does not remind me much of Le Male. I thought it was weird and somewhat horrible on first sniff, but it quickly grew on me. I now own a full bottle, and wear it pretty frequently. As stated elsewhere on BN, one of the tricks to enjoyment of Reflection Man is moderate application. Just a couple of sprays, please. A great scent for a casual day about town.

Overrated? Where? It's extremely underrated on BN.

Overpriced? Not if you enjoy it. In my opinion, LeMale is overpriced as i dislike it.

I think the comparison to LeMale says a lot about the person testing them, in other words, they have a poor sense of smell. They smell nothing alike.

Reflection Man is one of the best from the Amouage line up in my opinion but i can understand why it wouldn't suit everybody. I always receive compliments wearing this beauty.

Dependent

overrated
    1. Dior Homme Original
    2. Musc Ravaguer
    3. Portrait of a Lady
    4. Noir de Noir
    5. L Instant Guerlain pour Homme Extreme
    6. New Haarlem
    7. Pure Coffee
    8. Blu Mediterraneo Sicilian Almond
    9. Rose 31
    10. Spiritueuse Double Vanille

Reflection man is one of my least favorite Amouage offerings.

Whether it is overpriced or not is up to Amouage to decide based on sales, cost, etc... Whether or not it is worth it to you, it depends on how much you like it. Not worth it to me...
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    4. by Kilian - Incense Oud
    5. Puredistance - Black
    6. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions
    7. Armani Privé - Oud Royal
    8. Brückner - Aoud 1
    9. Creed - Royal English Leather
    10. House of Matriarch - Blackbird

Quote Originally Posted by mrcologneguy View Post
    Quite fond of it in a lurid fascination kind of way. I think it's cool that Amouage broke the line with Reflection Man. No, it does not remind me much of Le Male. I thought it was weird and somewhat horrible on first sniff, but it quickly grew on me. I now own a full bottle, and wear it pretty frequently. As stated elsewhere on BN, one of the tricks to enjoyment of Reflection Man is moderate application. Just a couple of sprays, please. A great scent for a casual day about town.

I agree. RM is a good anytime scent and my favorite of the Amouage lines. Chicks love it, too !

Banned

Reflection men is more like feminine then masculine parfume, i tried it and boy was i dissapoited, it lacks originality smells like some gentle cream, and reminds me a lot of carolina herrera sexy men wich i used to wear as deodorant, ofcourse this smell is much more natural and refined, but still i think its a mish mash and am surprised men want to wear such sweet parfume . In general price doesnt necessarily follow value, and men have lost a lot of masculine character, so i am not surprised at all
    Last edited by iivanita; 16th September 2012 at 11:47 PM.

It's a fantastic fragrance.

I find all of the Amouage EDTs overpriced. That said, I own and enjoy quite a few of them, including Reflection.
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit

The 2 things that grate a fragrance enthusiast:

1. Declaring 2 very different frags as very similar or interchangeable without properly testing or analysing them e.g: GIT & Cool Water, Reflection and Le Male etc.

2. Dismissing a fragrance due to a higher price. Not saying that price shouldn't be considered or noted but peoples disposable incomes vary, so it's a moot point.

This thread does both.
    Conscience is what hurts when everything else feels so good.

I do

Of the ones I've tried it is my least favorite. I find it run of the mill.
    I don't know much about medicine, but I know what I like. -- S.J. Perelman

I despise Le Male and like Reflection quite a bit. Its actually much closer to APOM by MFK.

Quote Originally Posted by Scentfanatic1631 View Post
    Precisely (but the Awards for best Amouage; must go to Epic Man and Opus IV and VI)

- - - Updated - - -

[QUOTE=JiveHippo;2701737]I despise Le Male and like Reflection quite a bit. Its actually much closer to APOM by MFK.[/QUOTEO]

I despise all 3! But love LNPH and APLS by MFK.

overpriced/overrated...Le Male gives off to me an actually better, sexier vibe, costs infinitely less, and delivers more on the potency scale.

I'm truly glad I own this. I do not think its overrated and overpriced at all. Great scent, glad I have it in my collection

It's a good fragrance, but I agree it is overpriced, and there are many Amouage fragrances that I would buy before Reflection. JXXV, Honour, Lyric, Memoir, Epic, Dia are all more noteworthy in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by jathanas View Post
    The 2 things that grate a fragrance enthusiast:

1. Declaring 2 very different frags as very similar or interchangeable without properly testing or analysing them e.g: GIT & Cool Water, Reflection and Le Male etc.

2. Dismissing a fragrance due to a higher price. Not saying that price shouldn't be considered or noted but peoples disposable incomes vary, so it's a moot point.

This thread does both.
    If you are going to reply with such a stupid comment then why even bother wasting your time posting on this thread? Take your dumb comments elsewhere, get a life, and grow up.

Quote Originally Posted by comfortablynumbbg View Post
    overpriced/overrated...Le Male gives off to me an actually better, sexier vibe, costs infinitely less, and delivers more on the potency scale.
    This is the EXACT point I was trying to put across. Thank You.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabe View Post
    If you are going to reply with such a stupid comment then why even bother wasting your time posting on this thread? Take your dumb comments elsewhere, get a life, and grow up.

My post was very terse and it obviously riled you. Apologies.

I should've kindly explained to you that Reflection and Le Male are chalk and cheese, and walked you through the many obvious differences, in notes, blending, and quality; which I didn't.

No offense, but as far as I'm concerned this thread belongs in the just starting out forum. Peace.
    Conscience is what hurts when everything else feels so good.

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    Its actually much closer to APOM by MFK.
    I was going to say this, I get more APOM than I do Le Male.

Banned

Count me in ...

Here you go, Gabe. This discussion stretches back years - you'll get as much validation and/or dissent as you need in amongst this lot - happy reading

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/309...Reflection-Man

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/270...Corn-Tortillas

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/268...Reflection-Man

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/263...-Final-Verdict

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/280...Man-v-MFK-APOM

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/279...ciation-thread

And there's more . . . just type in Reflection Man and hit 'Search'.

First few times I smelt it I like the smell. Even got a 30 ML decant of it now it smells like Fly/bug repellent.

I love the stuff. Like many of the best scents in existence, Reflection Man is extremely underrated. I would happily pay more.

Meanwhile..................

Basenotes Junkie

I've never smelled it, but I really dislike Le Male so I doubt that I would like Reflection Man.

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndBakeryAttack View Post
    I've never smelled it, but I really dislike Le Male so I doubt that I would like Reflection Man.
    It's an Internet myth as Reflection smells nothing like LeMale so it looks like you could be missing out then

I did not like as it gave me that sickly feeling.

All this drama when all one needs to do is sample them and decide for themselves. No doubt some have, and I don't think anyone should cast dispersions on their conclusion whether they feel these fragrances are simmilar or worlds apart. There have been countless fragrances but there has never been correct analysis of any one of them, one which would hold true to everyone. Just as with every other artistic or sensory experience. The value of a truly objective review is reflected in the number that exist (almost none) while the value of a subjective review will generally be gauged by how well it matches with the opinions of others, yet even these things are subject to change.

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by Tropics View Post
    It's an Internet myth as Reflection smells nothing like LeMale so it looks like you could be missing out then
    Good to know. I just looked at the notes and you're right, there is not even a hint of lavender, mint, or vanilla, so I'm not sure how this could smell anything like Le Male. People also have said Burberry Touch smells like Le Male and I think that is completely ridiculous too.

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndBakeryAttack View Post
    Good to know. I just looked at the notes and you're right, there is not even a hint of lavender, mint, or vanilla, so I'm not sure how this could smell anything like Le Male. People also have said Burberry Touch smells like Le Male and I think that is completely ridiculous too.
    Indeed, plenty of misinformation out there. I blame the likes of Youtube wannabe reviewers etc for starting the ball rolling. You really have to decide for yourself.

If i can find one negative in regards Reflection Man, it would be that it isn't the most versatile, it's more of a going out on the town, evening scent. I'm sure that many would disagree with that though

Quote Originally Posted by Tropics View Post

If i can find one negative in regards Reflection Man, it would be that it isn't the most versatile, it's more of a going out on the town, evening scent. I'm sure that many would disagree with that though
    i find the scent has a casual dryer sheet kind of smell,have it /love it but have better for a night on the town..

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    I did not like as it gave me that sickly feeling.

this

Overpriced? Probably. Overrated? Seems to be more hate for it. To me depends on what you're comparing it to, if you're comparing it to the best of the Amouage line it's nowhere close. If you're comparing it to Le Male, well it's better than that.

Quote Originally Posted by LoPsOrange View Post
    First few times I smelt it I like the smell. Even got a 30 ML decant of it now it smells like Fly/bug repellent.
    I spray it on me a 2 nights ago...I like it. I don't know what's wrong with me.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    If you don't like it then no price is going to make you happy. If you unable to discern any difference between Reflection Man and Le Male or whatever then stick with the cheaper one and good luck!
    Truer words have never been spoken.

just tested reflection man, as i own jpg le male, i must say , i dont know what people are smelling but to even suggest substuting this for le male is honestly a little crazy

this smells wonderful, pure, fresh, natural and quality, yes they smell alike yet big difference quality wise