Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default SOTD Sunday 16 September 2012

Ah, Sunday here we are. I unearthed a few samples from the disordered piles on my dressing table, so now I'm wearing a multitude of scents from forearms to knuckles:

Angel Sunessence
    Fumerie Turque
    Borneo 1834
    Madini Ambergris Oil
    Ambra Nera

and some byspray from filling a Travalo with my new Habit Rouge EDP.

Being an old Angel hand from way back, I'm considering the Sunessence for summer wear. It's not quite as sledgehammerish as original Angel, which I've pretty much given up wearing.

Default Re: SOTD Sunday 16 September 2012

Today I'm wearing Frapin L'Humaniste.

Good morning!

........................................Pour Le Jeune Homme, vintage

Sagamore by Lancome

Thumbs up Re: SOTD Sunday 16 September 2012

Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Good Morning Folks,

Tabac Blond extrait (Larimar).

Have a lovely Sunday, whatever you're doing.

AM: Elie Saab
    PM: Tubéreuse Criminelle by Serge Lutens
    Bedtime: Ava Luxe, Kama
    Last edited by Coconut; 16th September 2012 at 11:41 PM. Reason: added evening scents

What I've Been Wearing:

Hello all. A sample of Balmain Ivoire 2012. Noticed something interesting on the card, says its 78% vol. Usually edp is 80+.
    DONNA

Amouage Interlude Man

good afternoon!

Seville a l'aube

this is too goood

for swap/sale:

'Morning all!
    Farnésiana EDP, today, looking for the smoky notes in it.
    Have a nice Sunday, all of you

And I completely agree with you, hedonist!
    "Your fragrance with a fume of iodine" L. Cohen

Basenotes Plus

Good morning all !. SotD is Amouage Reflection.

Welcome back mountainear

Enjoy the rest of the weekend, folks .

Ys Uzac Pohadka

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Hi G.!
    I'm not far off... Caron Poivre for me.

Creed Aventus. Almost 1,000 posts devoted to batch numbers alone - had to try this!

Good Sunday all.

Good morning, nice smelling folks!

While I completely and politely disagree with both hedonist and iodine -- not my thang is that too sweet lavender and spice -- I am somewhat rested after a short trip out of town and ready to face the music of another day. In Fragrance C from the Blind Sniff (Sturm und Drang).

Quote Originally Posted by hellkelpie View Post
    Ah, Sunday here we are. I unearthed a few samples from the disordered piles on my dressing table, so now I'm wearing a multitude of scents from forearms to knuckles:

Angel Sunessence
    Fumerie Turque
    Borneo 1834
    Madini Ambergris Oil
    Ambra Nera

and some byspray from filling a Travalo with my new Habit Rouge EDP.

Being an old Angel hand from way back, I'm considering the Sunessence for summer wear. It's not quite as sledgehammerish as original Angel, which I've pretty much given up wearing.
    lol, this may be like me later on...going sniffing at Le Labo in NY later today...will report back
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Fico di Amalfi today Bright and cheerful as always.

Basenotes Plus

Scent twins with Hedonist in Seville a l'Aube. ITA with you and Iodine - this is utterly gorgeous and has totally captivated my heart.

Notes include Luiseiri lavender, pink pepper, lemon tree leaves, orange blossom, jasmine, magnolia, beeswax, incense, benzoin Siam

Have a lovely Sunday, all!
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

The last bit from my MFK Amryis sample

Hello everyone!

I'm in LouLou this morning, 80s edp.

Jon - whatever did y'all do with all your blackberries? We have some now, too - I'm thinking of making a big ol' crusty cobbler.

lilybelle - I have lots to tell you about but I need to check a few things regarding Réveillon ...several restaurants offer special menus for it, but I'm not sure which will actually be open after Midnight Mass. I won't leave you hanging too long - I promise!
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Feeling steel-sharp in Acier Aluminium this morning
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

Good afternoon.

Revisiting Gardenia Petale today. Seemed appropriate for this gloriously sunny afternoon.
    Do happy

Quote Originally Posted by rtamara41 View Post
    lol, this may be like me later on...going sniffing at Le Labo in NY later today...will report back
    Wow! Do report back! G, you smell so good I want to throw myself at your feet. I can just picture it. You saying, "Oh for goodnes sake, get up!!" Ha Ha.

With hellkelpie in Habit Rouge, except I'm drenched in it. Reading the papers, eating chocs, seeing you guys. Cooking later. Happy Days!!

Quote Originally Posted by Evangeline View Post
    lilybelle - I have lots to tell you about but I need to check a few things regarding Réveillon ...several restaurants offer special menus for it, but I'm not sure which will actually be open after Midnight Mass. I won't leave you hanging too long - I promise!
    Evangeline, please take your time! It is still months away. About Christmas Eve, I didn't even hope that any restaurant offering a Réveillon menu would be open so late. I was just hoping something would be open for a drink and a bite. Thank you so much again! It is very good of you to go to the trouble and I am grateful.

I'm wearing Eau Arpege. I love the bottle, a rectangle with the square cap like in Jujy's avatar. There are no sharp corners, they are actually octagons. Its simplicity and elegance of classic proportion, the intaglio logo in the screw-on cap, the amber color of the juice (old), all are delightful. Sometimes I need visual beauty that is spare and serene. And the scent is a reminiscence of days long gone...I love the creamy sandalwood especially.

Basenotes Junkie anomie et ivoire's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hooray for Evangeline, representing Loulou! You know, I tried it again the other day after seeing your comments on the Loulou thread, and I think you're right: the old formula is not really brash. More sultry in an introverted way. Interesting how adjectives that get repeated about a fragrance seem to stick, even when they don't totally fit.

I'm in a combination of old formula Jovan Musk oil on the pulse points, Reminiscence Patchouli spray+walkthrough, and Caron Pour Un Homme liberally applied to the arms. The combination isn't so heady as it might sound, really very softly herbal. I cannot stop wearing Pour Un Homme; I've sneaked it four or five times this week, sleeping in it three more times! A first serious and unexpected specific scent addiction.

Hope you all enjoy the remaining weekend! I'm off to sing A Sunday Kind of Love.

Post Re: SOTD Sunday 16 September 2012

Vintage Racine....MPG
    Don't panic. Just stay calm, and reload....

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Evangeline View Post
    Jon - whatever did y'all do with all your blackberries? We have some now, too - I'm thinking of making a big ol' crusty cobbler.
    Sounds like a great idea !. We made apple and blackberry crumble, miniature pies, pancakes, and took on board your suggestion, concocting a vodka based liqueur. Will be looking forward to sampling it over the festive season . We've still got plenty left so have frozen the rest.

SotE - CDG Avignon.

Still a melange of Coup de Fouet and Poivre pour ce soir.

Basenotes Plus

Hi everyone!

Welcome back mountainear!

SotA is L'Artisan Orchidee Blanche, which has sadly been discontinued.
    Notes include bergamot, magnolia, nectarine, iris, honey and vanilla.

Wishing you all a nice Sunday!

SOTE

Good Evening,

Foustie, you do make me laugh.
    Jon - let us know how that blackberry vodka turns out The pies, pancakes and crumble all sound pretty good too.

Chanel Cuir de Russie (current EdT) tonight. * sigh*, the weekend is all but over. Ah, well...

Best to all.

The blackberry vodka sounds wonderful!! My mother used to infuse vodka with fruit: pineapple, and also raspberries, which give it a lovely pink color. I imagine the blackberries will tinge the vodka with a lovely wild berry flavor and color.

Welcome back, Mountainear!

Blackberry crumble? Yum...now I want some.

An Evening Edged in Gold for sotd.

GO NINERS!
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by kalli View Post
    Blackberry crumble? Yum...now I want some.
    You deserve some - congrats

Thank you, Jon Rodgers, Kiliwia, and lilybelle. It's good to see everyone again!

I'm in L de Lolita Lempicka Fleur de Corail so far.

Haha, thanks.
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

Basenotes Plus

Congrats, Kalli on reaching 2,000 posts!

Thanks Kiliwia! Did you ever get a bottle of Au The Rouge?.

Am testing Caron's Or et Noir on one of my wrists, and Serge Lutens's Douce Amere on the other. Loving both.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by kalli View Post
    Thanks Kiliwia! Did you ever get a bottle of Au The Rouge?.
    Not yet, but I plan to soon. Thanks again for letting me try it! My husband even likes it and that rarely happens, lol.

Blog Entries

Nina Ricci-Farouche
    notes are bergamot, mandarin, galbanum, aldehydes, peach, rose, jasmine, honeysuckle, clary sage, cardamon, genista flowers, iris, carnation, geranium, lily of the valley, lily, oakmoss, sandalwood, amber, vetiver and musk.
    Last edited by kumquat; 16th September 2012 at 07:33 PM.

K- thanks would be to you!. Hugs.

I'm trying some of the new Habanita edp, thanks to a Basenotes friend who sent me some to try. Honestly, I think it is lovely. I love the original, both the current form of edt and also the vintage edt, which seems a tad smokier and darker, but maybe my decant was just aged. Some fragrances do age well, you know. But this new one...I don't think it suffers in the modern interpretation at all. It is truly lovely, diffuse and more transparent, but still identifiably Habanita, and very very wearable for today. I think it smells sexy. It is a youthful Habanita, but sophisticated. Each will have his/her own preference, but I really like this one. Well done, Molinard!

Congratulations, Kiliwia!

CJ Scents Sandalwood edp

Very very nice!

Good afternoon, all. Today I am mango & Jailia. Smelling much better than I was directly after the workout, LOL.

K., there is Au The Rouge at TJMaxx, last seen Friday the 14th (in St.Cloud, MN).

Hey again!

I'm in a big soft cloud of Shalimar Parfum Initial for the afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by lilybelle View Post
    Evangeline, please take your time! It is still months away. About Christmas Eve, I didn't even hope that any restaurant offering a Réveillon menu would be open so late. I was just hoping something would be open for a drink and a bite. Thank you so much again! It is very good of you to go to the trouble and I am grateful.
    Okay, good to know - I'm sure that'll give us lots more options!

Quote Originally Posted by anomie et ivoire View Post
    Hooray for Evangeline, representing Loulou! You know, I tried it again the other day after seeing your comments on the Loulou thread, and I think you're right: the old formula is not really brash. More sultry in an introverted way. Interesting how adjectives that get repeated about a fragrance seem to stick, even when they don't totally fit.
    Thanks, and thanks for saying so! I'm a firm believer that it's generally not the perfume that's too strong, loud or brash, anyway - the heavy hand of the wearer is usually to blame. This is how perfectly nice perfumes get bad reputations ...Poison somehow managed to recover from it, but poor Giorgio was forever ruined by one too many suffocating, inelegant and over-zealous applications.

Quote Originally Posted by JON RODGERS View Post
    Sounds like a great idea !. We made apple and blackberry crumble, miniature pies, pancakes, and took on board your suggestion, concocting a vodka based liqueur. Will be looking forward to sampling it over the festive season . We've still got plenty left so have frozen the rest.
    Yummy! Well, we didn't have quite as many as y'all so I went with the cobbler (which is, I think, rather the same thing as a crumble) and saved enough for some blackberry liqueur, or "bounce" as we call it. I'm giving what Tony's dubbed "liquid preserves" as Christmas gifts this year - I have homemade Limoncello, Peach and Satsuma "Brandy", Cherry Bounce and now Blackberry Bounce to add to the colorful array steeping in the hall closet!
    Last edited by Evangeline; 16th September 2012 at 09:19 PM.
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

summer means fireflys

I'm testing PdN Kiss Me Tender today. Fluffy soft and marshmallow sweet to start, the opening top notes don't really hint at the rest of the fragrance ... it's more complex and the heliotrope is darker than I expected. I'm really enjoying it today.

top notes: orange flower, bitter almond, star anise,
    middle notes: cinnamon, cloves, ylang-ylang, heliotrope
    base notes: vanilla, musk, opoponax

hugs to all ...
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Twolf View Post
    K., there is Au The Rouge at TJMaxx, last seen Friday the 14th (in St.Cloud, MN).
    Thanks T, our closest TJMaxx is in Grand Forks, ND, I'll check it out next week.

We passed Grand Forks too -- I knew we should have stopped and knocked on your door, I just knew! LOL

Basenotes Plus

LOL, we're 90 miles from GF but I could have met you there. I had it my head you were going the last of Sept, so when you said you were going to be gone a couple of days, it didn't register. Wow, you put on a lot of miles in a very short amount of time, no wonder you were tired when you got home.

Right. We were planning the last weekend of September, but my work schedule has changed so it was the only possible time.

Balenciaga Cristobal

Lilybelle and I will be Scent Twins, as I am currently drenching myself in the delicious new Habanita Eau de Parfum: The very first re-form I have ever smelled that out-does the original. I *LOVE* it. So comforting. So cuddly and sensual. So....Impeccable.

*Also* So very much more unisex than the original: It is a bit dryer, and has a suave powdery quality to it that any gentleman could pull off and come out smelling perfectly masculine and approachable. It truly is a Masterwork. If the nonsense at Guerlain & Caron only could be this smooth.....
    "...a Chacun son Mauvais Gout."

Quote Originally Posted by le mouchoir de monsieur View Post
    Lilybelle and I will be Scent Twins, as I am currently drenching myself in the delicious new Habanita Eau de Parfum: The very first re-form I have ever smelled that out-does the original. I *LOVE* it. So comforting. So cuddly and sensual. So....Impeccable.

*Also* So very much more unisex than the original: It is a bit dryer, and has a suave powdery quality to it that any gentleman could pull off and come out smelling perfectly masculine and approachable. It truly is a Masterwork. If the nonsense at Guerlain & Caron only could be this smooth.....
    Yay! I have been loving it this afternoon. It really is easy to wear, very "cuddly and sensual" as you say. I will probably have another spritz soon as a top up for the night.

I just cracked the nut as to why I love this so much, in a PM to Lilybelle: It reminds me so very much of the provincial cafes in Uni towns--where--after lessons--we boys would tear off our uniforms, put on the obligatory OTHER uniform of rolled up levi's, black leather jacket, grease up our hair, and go drink panaches, smoke our cigarettes, and play "Flipper" in these old cafe's with their tangerine plastic interiors from the 70's--and bring our own cassette tapes of, say, Boys Don't Cry by the Cure--this, of course, was the early 80's--it was important to be seen in town looking cool out of our stupid scratchy "Catho" uniforms--we all hated them--and so we'd go and stand around playing flipper. "La Frime" we'd call it--the word that meant: "Stand around looking Cool." These cafes--they smelled like Habanita!!!!! I thinks that's why I love it so much......
    "...a Chacun son Mauvais Gout."

So you had an "aha" moment, MdM. I don't know why I love it...it doesn't remind me of anything...but I find it very skin scenty in texture as well as scent.