Code of Conduct

Default Histoires De Parfums Edition Rare Veni, Vidi, Vici: The New Trio.

After the controvertial Ambrarem, Petroleum and Rosam, Histoires De Parfums is getting ready to launch a new trio of Edition Rare: Veni, Vidi, Vici.

Inspired by Gaio Giulio Cesare's popular quote "Veni, Vidi, Vici" pronounced in frotn of the roman senate after the battle of Zela, this trio will be focused on spices...

Veni: The earth!

Notes: Lavender, Cardamom, Ambergis, Galbanum, Cinnamon, Gaiac Wood, Carnation, Saffron, Vanilla, Patchouli.

Vidi: The Wind!

Notes: Cardamom, Ozonic Notes, Saffron, Rose, Ambergis, Immortelle Absolute.

Vici: The Fire!

Notes: Cardamom, Galbanum, Agnelica, Incense, Iris, Osmanthus Absolute, Musk, Patchouli, Cedarwood, Vanilla, Raspberry.

Sorry for the crappy picture, I will update it as soon as I'll have access to a better one among the ones I took...

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Default Re: Histoires De Parfums Edition Rare Veni, Vidi, Vici: The New Trio.

Thanks for the up-date, note lists don't look too bad. Did you manage to sample any?

Did you spend any time wearing them at all yet, alfarom?

I enjoy a bit of spice in my life and given Ghislain's culinary background (and great track record) I imagine these could be quite fun. I certainly look forward to giving them all a shot. Just to show how open minded I am I'll even try the one with ozonic notes

They all sound fantastic. Look forward to trying these! Thank you for the information.
    Visit my Wordwide Swap Thread here for niche and designer full bottle trades: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/305...tles-(UK-only)

And my Worldwide full bottle sale thread: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/306...S-(UK-EU-only)

Banned

Will have to see how the ozonic notes materialize.
    Thanks for the heads up.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    Did you spend any time wearing them at all yet, alfarom?
    Not much, Morton. Unfortunately I only smelled them through the glass cones but I was quite impressed by two. I can't currently remember which ones exactly but I'm almost positive one was Veni and the other Vici. In fact, I remember a slight Invasion Barbare-vibe while smelling one. All I can say right now is that they're very far from the former "accusative trio" (as Cacio calls them). Honestly? I found them very stimulating but I'll need to properly test them in a more "relaxed" environment.

I may not like all Ghislain's perfumes but I enjoy his style. These look very very nice m

for swap/sale:

Any idea when they are due for release?

Very interesting.

From the accusative trio to the past-perfect trio, we're touring Latin grammar. But they need to be smelled. Let's see if this trio again has a nightmare from hell, an unwearable but striking one, and a decent, interesting frag (as in the current trio, Ambrarem, Petroleum, Rosam). Vidi could be the horror, ozonic + immortelle could scare both me and hedonist!

cacio

Dependent

Thank you for the heads up F ... yay for galbanum.

there's almost no way I won't end up with Vici

I came, I saw, I conquered.

I hope so. With great anticipation...... Thank You.

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    From the accusative trio to the past-perfect trio, we're touring Latin grammar.
    LOL! As I previously said, I only smelled them through the glass cones but they striked as very different from the former trio. One (most probably Veni) striked somewhere between Invasion Barbare and Ormonde Man. It was actually quite good out of the cone...let's see, let's see...

cant wait to try them

Hmm surprised about one being similar to IB when they already have 1725 playing in that realm.

Thanks for the info alfa. I'll be very tempted to pick these up.

Quote Originally Posted by laph View Post
    Hmm surprised about one being similar to IB when they already have 1725 playing in that realm.
    Don't take it for granted, I only smelled them rapidly. My initial impression was of a cross between a nugere and Ormonde Man. Back home, I got the press kit for the release of this new trio and comparing the notes of Veni to both Ormonde Man and Invasion Barbare, it made a lot more sense...

Ormonde man does contain aquatics, hidden below the fronds. Whether this promises well or not, we shall see.

cacio

Vidi and Vicci sound very interesting looking forward to these popping up on the radar and hearing more basenoters impressions once they land.
    "Geez, when are the 'We love Aventus' T-shirts coming out?"
    (Possum-Pie, 2012)

Anything new on these? I see them in the directory now, but very little in the way of reviews (other than Alfarom's initial impressions here).

While I didn't care for the previous trio at all, I already got my name in on a split of each of these new ones, but am curious to hear more about them!
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    4. by Kilian - Incense Oud
    5. Puredistance - Black
    6. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions
    7. Armani Privé - Oud Royal
    8. Brückner - Aoud 1
    9. Creed - Royal English Leather
    10. House of Matriarch - Blackbird

I, too, am interested to hearing what people got to say about these 3. Really interested in getting the Veni and am really tempted to click 'Pay Now' on their website...

Anyone sampled or got their hands on these yet?
    (Possum-Pie, 2012)

Luckyscent has the trio now.

I received Vici the other day, blind basically on the praise from others, how highly I regard HdP, and that it included osmanthus, incense, and raspberry. It sounded very interesting and I was not let down. I'm terrible with notes I'm not too familiar with (which this has a few) but I definitely get some fruity osmanthus in the beginning along with angelica, it gradually becomes sweeter with the vanilla/raspberry showing through.

HdP RARE-ly disappoints.

Thanks for posting some impressions starship, looking forward to sample Veni and Vici myself.
    (Possum-Pie, 2012)

Quote Originally Posted by starshipvelcro View Post
    I received Vici the other day, blind basically on the praise from others, how highly I regard HdP, and that it included osmanthus, incense, and raspberry. It sounded very interesting and I was not let down. I'm terrible with notes I'm not too familiar with (which this has a few) but I definitely get some fruity osmanthus in the beginning along with angelica, it gradually becomes sweeter with the vanilla/raspberry showing through.

HdP RARE-ly disappoints.
    My nose is quite uneducated. For Vici, I get mainly a fresh lavender with a fairly sweet vanilla/raspberry. I think it works quite well!

Glad to hear some positive reviews! Can't wait to smell these for myself. Not a very big fan of HdP (with the exception of a few gems), but still looking forward to trying these.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    4. by Kilian - Incense Oud
    5. Puredistance - Black
    6. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions
    7. Armani Privé - Oud Royal
    8. Brückner - Aoud 1
    9. Creed - Royal English Leather
    10. House of Matriarch - Blackbird

Veni is on today. It will definately need a few wears to fully evaluate in my uneducated nose but for some reason I am reminded of Angel Men??? It has only just been put on an hour ago so time will tell. Is def in the like side right now!!!
    "We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." – Winston Churchill

I got samples directly from Histoires de Parfums and am currently reviewing the scents on my blog.

Vidi: http://wp.me/p2x0R7-tM

Vici: http://wp.me/p2x0R7-v9

Veni review will appear on Tuesday

- - - Updated - - -

And here's Veni: http://wp.me/p2x0R7-vN

Today i care about the first one of the new trilogy ( of fragrances appointed to set down a reconnection with the powerful natural elements), i mean Veni, namely the reconnection with the element of earth and a new Mr. Ghislain's perspective on the commercial side of the olfactory square. Whatta surprise (and it doesn't mean necessary in a good way)! As an Histoires de Parfums's great admirer i approached this new release expecting to discover a new brilliant work of experimentalism or anyway something more than vaguely classic, obscure, "neo- vintage" or decadent while my serendipity had been about a more common talky, fresh/warm and watery amber/musk fragrance with a widespread spicy sweetness (supported by the implementation of resinous galbanum and caramel). With all the differences of course, this fragrance could be located, in the course of its talky/liquid (sweetish, aromatic, resinous, yet more than vaguely creamy/intoxicating and herbal) beginning, in the same clan with Le Male, Luna Rosa Prada for men, Bogart Pour Homme, Penhaligon's LP No. 9 For Men and could be "conceptually" standing in a second time (when the "sweet talkiness" a bit recedes and a wet, light, sweetly spicy and milky-vanillic woodiness stands out) more properly on the same stage with some common sweetish talky/woody/watery releases a la Borsalino Panama, Ferrari Black, Nomad Crabtree&Evelyn, just vaguely a la more aromatic Rocabar Hermes (just for the spicy/creamy woodiness) etc, (but in some case with a more pronounced woodiness). Frankly Veni doesn't enbody my archetype of favorite smell and i find the aroma utterly boring and already roamed hundreds of times in accordance with the current mainstream taste. Sincerely i detect a too much pronounced final sweet ambery/musky woodiness as common in many recent releases i don't crave for. My neutral rating is confered because of the great Mr. Ghislain's talent and cause the Veni's aroma offers a far less synthetic and bombastic alternative for the lovers of this olfactory theme.

P.S: testing again the juice on my skin i notice that, in the initial-central phase of the evolution, before the sweet spicy woodiness evolves, several trails conjure me up some Japuir Homme's nuances.(Japuir is more lemony-floral, less spicy but with a commonly appointed usage of balsams and boise notes).

- - - Updated - - -

Vidi, the second of the new trilogy, embodies on the olfactory sphere the reconnection with the primordial element of the air with its "water-fruity", vaguely minty (cool/aromatic) and ozonic type of ambery woodsiness. The soapy/vanillic and musky light final woodiness is the common trail with its brother Veni but in this fragrance the beginning is decidedly less sweet-intoxicating and more watery, salty, yet woody and botanic with the initial cucumber-light flowers-ozonic trails-aromatic plants accord. The effect is lighter, far less sweetly dusty/intoxicating and more "windy" with a cool and lymphatic vibe all around (funned in the air by a touch of saffron). The ozonic notes-woods (i suppose cedarwood) chord, turned out drier and dustier with hints of cardamom, produces a vaguely salty (better to talk about a sharp, pungent and dusty) woodiness. The floral notes in the meanwhile turn out in the cool air a rosey spark of sophisticated light feminity. The cyclamen in particular is absolutely soft and ethereal. In the complex Vidi is a well appointed light floral surrounded by a pleasant and gracefully romantic airiness. Really natural and pleasant even if the salty/woody background hardly satisfies my full pleasure.
    Last edited by Darvant; 9th February 2013 at 11:15 AM.

From a product sell through perspective, the names and identities of these three is a nightmare. The names sound alike, are easy to confuse, and have mixed references in their stated meanings. At least with the Historie Parfums scent library you can put an identity with a figure in history that roughly translates to the intention of the fragrance. These three fume names will be confused often in the mind of the consumer and many will walk away in frustration - which is what has happened to this thread too and so my post was needed. These fragrances are hard to get a grasp on. What are they supposed to smell like? They are very subtle blends to begin with and the names don't help define them much. I think it is interesting that the Ceasar quote "I came, I saw, I conquered" "Veni, Vidi, Vici" is somehow related to the primal elements of: EARTH = Vini, Wind = Vidi, and Fire = Vici?? I don't really understand the connection, but I will go with it for the sake of artistic story telling or whatever. What about Water? What about Ether? Maybe these are yet to come. I think we can resolve these elemental explanations of the names as "marketing BS" - somebody probably said this might make an interesting story to use the catchy phrase veni, vidi, vici and layer this over earth, wind and fire, but I still don't get it. Also, from a marketing perspective the lack of logical connection with these terms will make it a very difficult story/explanation for consumers to remember which perfume is which and it will be difficult to differentiate identities of these fragrances. If this selling problem happens as I suspect, then the naming snafu here will doom these HDP's to poor sales at retail level - my marketing past is showing here. I hope they sell well - I like the scents, but am having a hard time remembering which is which. Having aired my complaint about these names and the poor choice due to inability to individualize them into memorable brand identity - I do like the fragrances!

Veni - The Earth Being earthy this fragrance is built around lavender as a primary jumping off point and it stays throughout. The spices, incense notes, gourmet sweetness and woods definitely come through in this but beginning to end the lavender is noticeable. Notes are: Absolu cardamom, cinnamom, galbanum, lavender, carnation, saffron, guaiac wood, vanilla, toffee, patchouli oil, musk, ambergris, oak moss. Veni smells kind of traditional - barbershop maybe, but the blending with saffron and the other stuff gives it lots of complexity in its gentleness. I would compare Veni to Invasion Barbare but it is more complex and not quite as subdued or dark in its overall scent show as IB.

Vidi - The Wind The elevating notes you see often in incense fragrances are present here along with an oceanic note too. The listed notes are: Cardamom, ozone effects, plastic rose, cyclamen, water effects, saffron, immortal absolu, musk, ambergris, vanilla, white wood. Cardamom and saffron always leaves a tart pure scent that adds a middle eastern touch. The ozone and water effects? are noticeable as this scent appears to be soaring above the waters swept away by the wind. This is a very airy but also very warm oceanic scent.

Vici - The Fire Cardamom is common to each of these three fragrances, but it is in Vici/Fire that cardamom makes the boldest statement. Opened by pepper at first, and cooled down with celery seed, iris, and lavender this fragrance has a brusk scent profile when it opens. However, the second act of this scent is very soft, mild and sueded in feel. Osmanthus (smells like peaches), vanilla, raspberry all add a softness that I find very appealing. I really don't see how this fragrance translates to Fire, but I like the way it smells. The notes listed are: Angelical roots, cardamom, pink peppercorns, basil, galbanum, aldehyde, rustic lavender effects, céleri graine, iris concrete, osmanthus absolu, essence incense, patchouli oil, musk, vanilla, cedar, raspberry.

I like all three of these fragrances from a perspective of how they smell. I am having a difficult time understanding the identity of them. I don't know why that is important to me but there is confusion here. The traditional lavender aspects of Veni are very refreshing for a complicated scent, and the soft naturalness of Vici is also very rewarding.

Overall I like this trio better than most of the HdP perfumes line up but I am partial to complicated and soft naturalness in fragrance and these deliver in this category. not sure if I should acquire one, or two or none.

+1 for Veni (spicy lavender) & Vici (spicy fruity cardamom); didn't quite like Vidi - although I got Cardamom in all 3, not prominent (except for Vici), but in the background (or was it b'coz i used it in cooking a day back???). Sad though that all 3 have weak longevity on my dry skin. If I buy a bottle, it'll be Vici.

Dependent

Thanks for your detailed impressions, Buzzlepuff.

Basenotes Plus

Great job, Buzzlepuff. I agree with your argument - the similar sounding names make product differentiation much more challenging. Perhaps they are better off marketed as a trio set.

Anyone else find Vidi similar to Odeur 71?

http://surrendertochance.com/weekly-...rance-coffret/

At the moment, surrender to chance has a special on samples of these three.
    “When you step back from stressing the parts,
    when the mind becomes still, the rose comes to you,
    unfolds in you in all her glory.
    The perfume invades you completely.
    The rose is you. You are one.”

Jean Klein

So yeah...didn't like Vidi.

That is all.

Thanks for the info.