Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: The Eau Sauvage Trio

Had the Eau Sauvage Fraicheur Cuir for a few days now. Definitely worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by sjg3839 View Post
    Had the Eau Sauvage Fraicheur Cuir for a few days now. Definitely worth it.
    It sure is. Very elegant stuff, a real gem IMO and a worthy addition to an Eau Sauvage collection.
    by the time you can afford good speakers, you can't hear the difference

treeman5823

The "parfum" is not very good.

I absolutely love the original, despite what people say about reformulations, I find it deliciously fresh and slightly funky/skanky (hedione?) at the same time. One of my faves.
    I've never tried Fraicheur Cuir, but would love to try the 100% Glacon edition - sounds super fresh.
    I finally tried the EDP last weekend, initially seemed like thick gloopy strong bergamot with overly sweet myrhh note. And then proceeded to get even louder, even sweeter, even thicker and more cloying. Beginning to think Demachy is a pretty hopeless parfumier. I absolutely love the Dior Homme line, but then Jacques Polge started that, Demachy hasn't made a mess of it, but that doesn't make him a genius. Aside from that Ive tried the following Demachy releases:
    Kenzo Homme Sport - very weird mint ginger and spice concoction which is too sharp and unbalanced to wear
    Fahrenheit Aqua - horrible grapefruit and violet mess; just cannot understand some of the praise this is getting.
    Eau Sauvage EDP - see above.
    Anyway, I'm drifting from the point. Stick to Eau Sauvage EDT and everybody's happy.

The EdP is a fine fragrance, but the original rules. I really liked Fraicheur Cuir at first, but after a while began to be oppressed by what struck me as something about it vaguely mucoid. Later, in one of the threads here, someone described the same sensation... made him think of “phlegm”. It’s not a note, really, just an overall viscosity to the fragrance. Olfactory chemistry is fascinating.

That said, I'm not repelled by the fragrance. It's elegance is undeniable. I wear it on occasion. But I won't buy it again.

treeman5823

After trying the new edt, I can attest that all modern versions of this stuff are crap. Bracing citrus top that quickly fades to a plasticky (hedione?) vetiver.

it was only when I sniffed the original formulation a few months back that I understood what the fuss about. I acquired a vintage bottle, but once it's gone, I won't be replacing it with the current version. Too bad, because it was good stuff.