Code of Conduct

Default The Eau Sauvage Trio

I'm a big fan of the regular Eau Sauvage EdT (I've never tried any vintages, so I can't compare those, but I really like the modern stuff). I'd also sampled the EdP and the Extreme, but neither had impressed me enough to make me want to buy them in preference to the EdT.

But yesterday, in Manchester Airport, I had the chance to sample the three side-by-side. And while they're all clearly variations on the same family, they're all distinct and all very very good! I could easily see myself becoming an Eau Sauvage collector
    Alan

Default Re: The Eau Sauvage Trio

It's a very nice scent in all of its incarnations.

Three of a perfect pair:

Eau Sauvage Fraicheur Cuir is a great fragrance IMO and can be worn anytime. I'm still not 100% on the ES parfum as I need more wearings. The original is a classic of course. Enjoy!!!
    La vita è breve, la morte vien.

Wanted!!! Rectoverso Tea Tobacco by Ulric de Varens. PM Me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Beftus View Post
    Three of a perfect pair:
    Ignoring the three of a pair thing I would sub out the EDP and add in the Extreme for my collection. I really dislike the EDP - I find it the very definition of 'cloying'.

Still can't beat the original, though. Brilliant stuff.

While remaining skeptical about the newcomers, seeing the three bottles like that presents a very attractive proposition.

For flankers, the Eau Sauvage tribe all bear a family resemblance. The original and EdP are my faves.

Eau Sauvage Fraicheur Cuir is a great fragrance IMO and can be worn anytime
    Ah, the one I still haven't sampled - don't think I've even seen it on sale anywhere in the UK.
    Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Oscroft View Post
    Ah, the one I still haven't sampled - don't think I've even seen it on sale anywhere in the UK.
    Released in 2007 as a limited edition. Chances of finding it in a shop are slim, eBay is your friend. Current eBay prices for Fraicheur Cuir are reasonable, for the time being.

Released in 2007 as a limited edition. Chances of finding it in a shop are slim, eBay is your friend. Current eBay prices for Fraicheur Cuir are reasonable, for the time being.
    Yep, thanks, just found a bottle on eBay. Looks like a reputable seller, and the price was indeed reasonable.
    Alan

I own the regular current (good), vintage (very good) and only tried the current extreme (ok at maximum).

I must try the Parfum and the Cuir versions, but theyre hard to find, i think i will buy them blind soon.
    Last edited by d4N13L; 9th October 2012 at 02:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by timdoeswell View Post
    I would sub out the EDP and add in the Extreme for my collection. I really dislike the EDP - I find it the very definition of 'cloying'.
    Glad to see I'm not the only one who feels this way! I too disliked the EDP of this - far too sickly.

Last week I made the mistake of applying four sprays of Eau Sauvage Parfum. Big mistake! Eau Sauvage Parfum is so much more potent than regular Eau Sauvage. Advice: don't go apeshit on the atomiser... In the future just one or two sprays of Eau Sauvage Parfum for me.

- - - Updated - - -

Yep, thanks, just found a bottle on eBay. Looks like a reputable seller, and the price was indeed reasonable.
    Did you buy it? Or still undecided?

Fraicheur Cuir is nice but doesn't trump "grandpa" IMO. Opens just as nice and fresh, but soon goes into warm, tan suede leather territory for the rest of its life. Very nice though it's not something I would buy another bottle of once this one is finished.

Did you buy it? Or still undecided?

Fraicheur Cuir is nice but doesn't trump "grandpa" IMO. Opens just as nice and fresh, but soon goes into warm, tan suede leather territory for the rest of its life. Very nice though it's not something I would buy another bottle of once this one is finished.
    I ordered it without hesitation, of course

I won't be back in the UK until next week, but the seller says they'll hold shipping for me until then - I didn't want to risk waiting, as they only had 6 bottles left. I'll be sure to report back on what I think of it.
    Alan

As autumn is upon us in the Netherlands it's time to break out Eau Sauvage Parfum more often and put the EDT on the back burner. Fraicheur Cuir is reserved for those days when I want to be suave. Eau Suave Fraicheur Cuir would have been a better name IMO.

The Fraicheur Cuir has arrived and, well, it's lovely

It's clearly of the Eau Sauvage family, and the leather is soft and very nice indeed - and it develops well.

2 down, 2 to go
    Alan

I got to try the Parfum over the weekend, it's fantastic stuff.

The Fraicheur Cuir has arrived and, well, it's lovely

It's clearly of the Eau Sauvage family, and the leather is soft and very nice indeed - and it develops well.

2 down, 2 to go
    I'm glad you like it. Lovely fragrance.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by starshipvelcro View Post
    I got to try the Parfum over the weekend, it's fantastic stuff.
    Good to see the Parfum gets some more love. Fantasic stuff indeed, just go easy on the trigger, IME.

I tried the Parfum today and it's fantastic. It's one of those that I liked in the first minute and it got better as the day went on. 12 hours later it smelled better than it had all day. It will be part of my collection for sure and I'll be trying the others as well.

I ordered a 200 ml bottle of Eau Sauvage 100% Glaçon (a limited edition from 2001) last week for a ridiculously small amount of money. There's surprisingly little information about this Eau Sauvage flanker to be found online. There are even less pictures of bottle and box to be found. From what little information there is (there's only one review here on basenotes) I learned it is just like regular Eau Sauvage with the addition of menthol. Apparently the menthol gives it a slight cooling effect (from a German wetshavers forum) which should make it perfect for a hot summer. Package hasn't arrived here yet but is supposed to have arrived in Amsterdam yesterday...
    by the time you can afford good speakers, you can't hear the difference

@Oscroft ... John Lewis' usually have it.

It's not as rare as others will have you believe.

Nice stuff, but I'd take the original.

Extreme and Perfume were stockpiled, they are amazing, IMO first line choice! aka in my wardrobe for ever!

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

I have been testing the parfum version for over a week. It is a fantastic scent. And it lasts all day with moderate projection. Classy scent.

@Oscroft ... John Lewis' usually have it
    My local John Lewis only has the standard ES, and their web site only has the standard and the Extreme - no Parfum to be seen.

But I've been out through the airport again and got a bottle of Parfum, and prior to that I got some of the Extreme from an online seller - so now I have four of them
    Alan

so now I have four of them
    Cool collection Oscroft! Now you only need to buy one more Eau Sauvage flanker: EAU SAUVAGE 100% GLAÇON.

Quote Originally Posted by joe mcclaine View Post
    @Oscroft ... John Lewis' usually have it.

It's not as rare as others will have you believe.

Nice stuff, but I'd take the original.
    Methinks you may be confusing ES Extreme (easy to procure in UK), with ES Parfum (aka Extrait) which is - presently - not so easy to find in UK.

No.

I was stating that Fraicheur Cuir is readily available.

You're welcome.

Cool collection Oscroft! Now you only need to buy one more Eau Sauvage flanker: EAU SAUVAGE 100% GLAÇON.
    Thanks - my eyes will be peeled for it, and for any other vintages that I might come across.
    Alan

It's here! I picked up my 200 ml (6.7oz) bottle of EAU SAUVAGE 100% GLAÇON at the post office today. For only €53.50 (that's £43.30 or US $70) a bottle, shipping included. A 200 ml bottle of regular Eau Sauvage costs €100...
    Last edited by Beftus; 14th December 2012 at 08:40 AM.

I bought the last 200 ml bottle Eau Sauvage 100% Glacon available too... So now I own these:

Eau-Sauvage-family-pic.jpg

BTW, I just discovered that the frosting of the 100% Glacon is a thin film applied to the glass that can be rubbed off. Underneath is a regular clear glass bottle.
    Last edited by Beftus; 13th January 2013 at 12:58 PM.

Had the Eau Sauvage Fraicheur Cuir for a few days now. Definitely worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by sjg3839 View Post
    Had the Eau Sauvage Fraicheur Cuir for a few days now. Definitely worth it.
    It sure is. Very elegant stuff, a real gem IMO and a worthy addition to an Eau Sauvage collection.

treeman5823

The "parfum" is not very good.

I absolutely love the original, despite what people say about reformulations, I find it deliciously fresh and slightly funky/skanky (hedione?) at the same time. One of my faves.
    I've never tried Fraicheur Cuir, but would love to try the 100% Glacon edition - sounds super fresh.
    I finally tried the EDP last weekend, initially seemed like thick gloopy strong bergamot with overly sweet myrhh note. And then proceeded to get even louder, even sweeter, even thicker and more cloying. Beginning to think Demachy is a pretty hopeless parfumier. I absolutely love the Dior Homme line, but then Jacques Polge started that, Demachy hasn't made a mess of it, but that doesn't make him a genius. Aside from that Ive tried the following Demachy releases:
    Kenzo Homme Sport - very weird mint ginger and spice concoction which is too sharp and unbalanced to wear
    Fahrenheit Aqua - horrible grapefruit and violet mess; just cannot understand some of the praise this is getting.
    Eau Sauvage EDP - see above.
    Anyway, I'm drifting from the point. Stick to Eau Sauvage EDT and everybody's happy.

The EdP is a fine fragrance, but the original rules. I really liked Fraicheur Cuir at first, but after a while began to be oppressed by what struck me as something about it vaguely mucoid. Later, in one of the threads here, someone described the same sensation... made him think of “phlegm”. It’s not a note, really, just an overall viscosity to the fragrance. Olfactory chemistry is fascinating.

That said, I'm not repelled by the fragrance. It's elegance is undeniable. I wear it on occasion. But I won't buy it again.

treeman5823

After trying the new edt, I can attest that all modern versions of this stuff are crap. Bracing citrus top that quickly fades to a plasticky (hedione?) vetiver.

it was only when I sniffed the original formulation a few months back that I understood what the fuss about. I acquired a vintage bottle, but once it's gone, I won't be replacing it with the current version. Too bad, because it was good stuff.