Code of Conduct

Thread: Incense?

Default Incense?

What exactly is incense in fragrance? I know it as something you burn and it releases a scent, but there are millions of kinds...so what is it in the fragrance world?

Default Re: Incense?

Unfortunately in the fragrance world as you put it, perfumers usually do not specify which incense type is used.

So perfumistas have generally taken it upon themselves to classify them as either catholic incense, Arabic frankinsense (lubban), Far East Asian, Oud wood and a few others I may be missing.

Avignon would be Catholic Incense. Encens d'Bois Arabic Frankinsense, Leather Oud Oud wood as examples.

for swap/sale:

I used to work at a store that sold incense among other things. I had to take the bulk incense and fill little bottles with it. The dust in the bulk containers was so bad that it gave me a burning feeling in my nose. Because of that I have a bit of an aversion to fragrances that have incense notes. I don't mind it if it is not very strong in the mix but there have been a few scents that I tried where it was very strong in the blend which had a negative affect on me.

One day a old lady came into the store wanting to buy some Frankenstein. It took a while to figure out that she wanted frankincense.

As hedonist was saying, there are several materials from which one can create incense, so it is a very general term. Arabian frankincense is probably the cleaner and purer smelling, almost lemony. Those used in christian masses usually feel like they're a mixture of frankincense and other resins, though I don't know for sure which ones. Far eastern or indian incenses likely don't use frankincense but local materials.

cacio

The way understand it is that incense that is usually burned can be added to a fragrance sometimes to capture the scent of burning incense. The usual suspects are:

Frankincense
    Myrhh
    Sandalwood

Dependent

wish i knew as well there are some i cant stand and some i adore
    1. Dior Homme Original
    2. Musc Ravaguer
    3. Portrait of a Lady
    4. Noir de Noir
    5. L Instant Guerlain pour Homme Extreme
    6. New Haarlem
    7. Pure Coffee
    8. Blu Mediterraneo Sicilian Almond
    9. Rose 31
    10. Spiritueuse Double Vanille

Personally love all types of incense notes in fragrances.

this is a good question, i have been wondering the same thing myself. Does smokiness have anything to do with it? the smell of burning resin is different to the smell of the resin unburnt, right?

Certain incense fragrances I love (CDG Avignon, Montale Full Incense, by Kilian Incense Oud, Armani Prive Bois d'Encens to name a few). While others just give me the smell of a full ashtray (Annick Goutal Encens Flamboyant, Black Tourmaline, CDG Kyoto).
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Pure White Cologne
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Tom Ford - Grey Vetiver
    by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    5. Clive Christian - 1872
    6. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    7. Xerjoff - Nio
    8. Neela Vermeire - Bombay Bling
    9. The Different Company - De Bachmakov
    10. Chanel - Allure Homme Edition Blanche