Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    DIRTYDUNNZ

Default What is the most OVERRATED fragrance?

This one easily rushes to my mind. Nice bottle though...

Last edited by DIRTYDUNNZ; 17th September 2012 at 12:18 PM.

Default Re: What is the most OVERRATED fragrance?

Cool Water perhaps.

Blog Entries

Creed Aventus, Creed GIT, Creed...
    For Sale: VINTAGE Montales

A*Men

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Seem as my first reply appears lost in cyber space I will say it again:
    Fully agree with the previous comments though I think in Creed's case it is more down to the exhorbitant pricing and the fact that Aventus somehow has it's own permanent thread on basenotes. Cool Water though is simply a dismal fragrance for me and I second the vote for A Men, and would also throw in Play intense as another almost unwearable mess, even though I quite liked the original play as far as generic youngster's frags go.

I guess you mean among the BN crowd because most people don't even know about Creed. I don't think GIT is over-rated, but rather that a lot of people like it, and like to talk about it (especially a few years ago). Plenty of BNers think Cool Water is nearly or just as good so that's clearly not a case of over-rating! LOL. Aventus is more of an over-rated frag, IMO, though I'm not suggesting it isn't at least rotation-worthy (certain batches in particular). Musc Ravageur, to me, is way up there in the over-rated department, but that may be because I don't get much more than a simple amber frag out of it. Another one is Eau des Baux, which has a really mediocre base, at best. The award should probably go the A*Men flankers, though, not that they are bad but that they get so much hype, aren't that cheap, and aren't particularly anything (meaning that they aren't complex, the ingredient quality is okay at best, the dynamism is sub par, etc.).

Aventus, thread over.

+1 Aventus

Easy one. Dior Homme/Intense. Sickly, cloying, feminine, synthetic, ugly mass market mess. The later dry down smells like a cheap talcum powder. I never met anyone in real life who it didn't repulse. Guaranteed to bring a smile to my face every time i see yet another daily thread trying to talk this stinker up.

[QUOTE=Tropics;2702228]Easy one. Dior Homme/Intense. I never met anyone in real life who it didn't repulse.

Honestly?
    Not one ?

Aventus +1.

Quote Originally Posted by martinijo View Post
    would also throw in Play intense as another almost unwearable mess
    agree

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

[QUOTE=martinijo;2702240]
    Quote Originally Posted by martinijo View Post
    Honestly?
    Not one ?
    Indeed. I was suckered into the hype but soon stopped kidding myself that it would be ok to wear after too many negative comments. The reformulation is just as lousy.

Blog Entries

I am the lead Creed-basher on BN. I must explain though. My first purchase of any "Niche" frag. was a GIT sample. To my untrained nose, it was Cool Water. head-to-head comparing them, I liked GIT better...BUT...Upon seeing the price, I was outraged that there was over $100 difference for only a small perceived difference. I then Bought Aventus, which I detested. My biggest beef is for the price, Creed should have some longevity. I own $180 bottles of juice, but without fail, they all last at least 8hrs, (Bn9 NY Amber and all my Montales last over 12hrs). I HEAR people say "I don't care if my frag doesn't last all day, but why would anyone want to pay $$$ for something they can't smell 4hrs later? To be fair, I guess I will buy a Creed sample pack of frags I haven't tried yet...

Fahrenheit is another highly overrated frag. Common as muck and makes me gag.

most creeds and most muglers (havane, malt, etc)..

Shiseido Nombre Noir

+1 T. Mugler A*Men Flankers.

Quote Originally Posted by Tropics View Post
    Fahrenheit is another highly overrated frag. Common as muck and makes me gag.
    Fahrenheit? In my humble opinion, Fahrenheit is a work of art.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    Fahrenheit? In my humble opinion, Fahrenheit is a work of art.
    LOL, gasoline/petrol in a spray bottle!

F****ing A*Men Pure Malt.

Makes me gag, and is an offense to whisky. Worn by whiners who can't wait for the next reissue, because it's SO RARE that it reeks all over the cheap frag stores.

A pox on your head!

Sound Scents

Another vote for Aventus
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Aventus.

Its good, very good in fact for its respective genre. But its overrated on BN. Its not that good.

for swap/sale:

Dior Homme and its merry little flankers
    Formerly known as Inselaffe

Personally, Chanel No.5. There, I've said it. Gives me a headache, can't stand it and don't get what the fuss is all about. Don't hate me!
    Do happy

Quote Originally Posted by ladymurasaki View Post
    Personally, Chanel No.5. There, I've said it. Gives me a headache, can't stand it and don't get what the fuss is all about. Don't hate me!
    No hate -- just agreement. I would go further and say the whole House is overrated -- perfume wise anyway. Join our Chanel Hate Gang.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    No hate -- just agreement. I would go further and say the whole House is overrated -- perfume wise anyway. Join our Chanel Hate Gang.
    I don't hate Chanel, but I do think it's overrated. The only one that I really enjoy is Cuir de Russie. That's it!
    Do happy

IMO Fords (of those I've smelled) although I liked Tuscan Leather.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

So it seems 'overrated' =

'very popular' but undeservedly so

'I never get it but many others do'

' 1st class passenger on the hype train'

Just what exactly is the objective criteria?

Maybe the second - something that is raved about and the postee doesn't like it.

If enough people agree on the same frag with the second, then the first applies, so then by default, the third!

Dependent

a men or aventus
    1. Dior Homme Original
    2. Musc Ravaguer
    3. Portrait of a Lady
    4. Noir de Noir
    5. L Instant Guerlain pour Homme Extreme
    6. New Haarlem
    7. Pure Coffee
    8. Blu Mediterraneo Sicilian Almond
    9. Rose 31
    10. Spiritueuse Double Vanille

Creed MI. Not sure what the fascination is about smelling like saltwater and bleach.

And almost everything by Dior.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Pure White Cologne
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Tom Ford - Grey Vetiver
    by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    5. Clive Christian - 1872
    6. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    7. Xerjoff - Nio
    8. Neela Vermeire - Bombay Bling
    9. The Different Company - De Bachmakov
    10. Chanel - Allure Homme Edition Blanche

Encre Noir...............................Just kidding!

A*Men is THE most overrated fragrance!

Aventus and A*men/Pure* are the usual suspects, however the juice is mostly good. The most over rated has to be Musc Ravageur, the heavy clove and anise are not winning any awards anytime soon.
    "If you enjoy the fragrance of a rose, you must accept the thorns which it bears."
    -Isaac Hayes

I don't hate Chanel, but I do think it's overrated. The only one that I really enjoy is Cuir de Russie. That's it!
    Nah -- I don't hate them either (just indifferent) and Sycomore is pretty good. Don't get me started on BOSS though.

Another vote for Chanel No5. I get a weird plastic bag vibe from it, the cheap sort you get in the supermarket.
    DONNA

Quote Originally Posted by donna255 View Post
    Another vote for Chanel No5. I get a weird plastic bag vibe from it, the cheap sort you get in the supermarket.
    lol. I get that too! What's up with that, huh?
    Do happy

Well, I don't hate it, but I don't get all the over-the-moon love for Shalimar, and I'm convinced that some people must be pretending to love it more than they do because they think they should love it, lol! What I do get is mostly lemon-scented poopy diapers ...which actually sounds more exciting than it is. I really just think it's sort of boring. And while I'm at it, Mitsouko is a bit over-glorified for a bitter, strangely sour peach chypre ...although I actually wear Mitsouko from time to time, I've just got to be in the right mood for it.
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Quote Originally Posted by Evangeline View Post
    Well, I don't hate it, but I don't get all the over-the-moon love for Shalimar, and I'm convinced that some people must be pretending to love it more than they do because they think they should love it, lol! What I do get is mostly lemon-scented poopy diapers ...which actually sounds more exciting than it is. I really just think it's sort of boring. And while I'm at it, Mitsouko is a bit over-glorified for a bitter, strangely sour peach chypre ...although I actually wear Mitsouko from time to time, I've just got to be in the right mood for it.
    I have never liked Mitsouko or Shalimar and don't pretend to like what I don't. What's the point, eh?
    Do happy

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    A*Men
    Same here. Aventus as well
    Last edited by silverbullet; 20th September 2012 at 05:34 PM.

Ambre Sultan and Ambre Precieux - whilst they're not the most talked about - they are two of the most overrated amber's. I don't enjoy either.

I know they're not really as overrated as most of the ones listed but if I wanted to repeat what others have said: +1 on the Creed's, the Mugler's etc etc.

Acqua di Gio.

Quote Originally Posted by socalwoman View Post
    Shiseido Nombre Noir
    Yup, escaped me totally (in EdP), not even guessing where the magic could lie.

My thoughts are that older houses Guerlain, Chanel et al. earned their reputation off the back of Shalimar and N°5 then you have to consider that the scents we have today are not the same as the vintage formulation that made them famous and best sellers in decades past. The second thing you have to consider is that when these perfumes were released the perfume market was very, very different with only a few big houses making anything of note. Taking this into account the Chanel, Guerlain, Dior fragrances of yesterday deserve their reputation even if today's incarnations are not worthy of that reputation.

As for my overrated fragrances I like the smell of both Le Male and A*Men but think that some people on forums tend to overrate these fragrances.

I haven't come across Aventus much. I don't own it have never worn it so I can't comment but it does get talked about an awful lot on Basenotes.

However the first fragrance that came to mind when I first saw this thread was Coco Mademoiselle. I dislike it and there was a time when every girl I knew wore this at one time or another and most of them have fallen out of love or plain dislike it now.
    What I've Been Wearing:

I have never liked Mitsouko or Shalimar and don't pretend to like what I don't. What's the point, eh?
    It was a bit of a joke, but the point would supposedly be to impress others with their superior and ultra-refined taste in perfumes!

Quote Originally Posted by L'enfer View Post
    My thoughts are that older houses Guerlain, Chanel et al. earned their reputation off the back of Shalimar and N°5 then you have to consider that the scents we have today are not the same as the vintage formulation that made them famous and best sellers in decades past. The second thing you have to consider is that when these perfumes were released the perfume market was very, very different with only a few big houses making anything of note. Taking this into account the Chanel, Guerlain, Dior fragrances of yesterday deserve their reputation even if today's incarnations are not worthy of that reputation.
    Well, I get your point but they can still be overrated in anyone's opinion. I can only speak for myself, but I'm well aware of the history and reputation of these venerated old perfumes such as Shalimar and Mitsouko, and I'm also familiar with varying vintage versions of them, and although that's very interesting and enlightening, it doesn't change the fact that I don't think they're the masterpieces that many others clearly do ...hence, I think they're overrated.

Besides, there were many great perfumes from the same era that haven't enjoyed nearly the reputation that Shalimar has, even though they were originally considered equal or even better perfumes at the time, such as Eméraude ...which is actually a very good example of why Shalimar comes to mind when I think "overrated." Others that are just as old or older (ca. 1900-1930) that are in my opinion far better than Shalimar are Narcisse Noir, Quelques Fleurs, Après L'Ondée, L'Origan, L'Heure Bleue, and just about every old Chanel, including Chanel No5, Bois des Iles, Cuir de Russie and No 22. A fragrance doesn't automatically get or deserve everyone's love and admiration just for sticking around a long time.
    Last edited by Evangeline; 20th September 2012 at 10:37 PM. Reason: typo
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

And it's all a matter of taste. Just because a fragrance is considered a "classic" or "masterpiece", does not mean EVERYONE is going to love it. My daugther, who is a gourmand fragrance lover, categorises my "big white florals" as "granny scents" or "hotel soaps" and that includes Fracas, and I'm fine with that. It's her opinion. It would be a boring world if we all liked the same thing!
    Do happy

I second the fact that what we may be judging here are the reformulated distant cousins of the originals.

Mitsouko smells like metal on me, Shalimar disappears to nothing but sandalwood powder on my skin, but wear Coco happily and smell marvellous in it. Each to their own, but maybe some common themes will emerge here. Perhaps we should have set up a poll...

And it's all a matter of taste. Just because a fragrance is considered a "classic" or "masterpiece", does not mean EVERYONE is going to love it. My daugther, who is a gourmand fragrance lover, categorises my "big white florals" as "granny scents" or "hotel soaps" and that includes Fracas, and I'm fine with that. It's her opinion. It would be a boring world if we all liked the same thing!
    +1 on the above comment, i find both mitsouko and shalimar quite repelling. it's all a matter of personal taste.

People say that classics are over rated but I totally agree (for the most part) The new frags take inspiration from their older counterparts so without the classics whe wouldn't have all the new scent that we all adore. that being said, to me, the most over rated scent is Le Male and 1 Million

+1 I used to know a woman who doused hereself with it and dosed us leaving a nasty trail behind here actually disgusting, btw she was a disgusting full of s#*t kind of person, so she had the right scent!
    "The Exodus is here... The Happy Ones are near..Let's get together before we get much older!"
    - Pete Townshend

Blog Entries

I have just bought Turin/Sanchez - A-Z Guide to Perfumes, and Creed Green Irish Tweed gets a hefty 4 stars. I note that Aventus, Silver Mountain Water, and Millesime Imperial seem to be on the splits thread a lot, but frankly the prices are outrageous.(not the splits prices - the cost of an original bottle) Their being on the splits thread often, elevates them all to a level of importance, that's completely out of proportion to what they actually are, just some juice in a fancy bottle. (in my mind anyway) I long to have them of course, and so i consider them to be overrated, but until i read about them on here, they had no effect on my life at all. Having never tried any of Amouage, the prices seem completely out of my range, however Homage is on one of Turin/Sanchez must have lists, so I am assuming, men will fall to their knees, in adoration. Maybe not of me, just how delicious i smell. I want it anyway, and Creed GIT is on it's way. And i am dying to try Homage i'm rambling again aren't I? *sigh*

Quote Originally Posted by Francolino View Post
    +1 I used to know a woman who doused hereself with it and dosed us leaving a nasty trail behind here actually disgusting, btw she was a disgusting full of s#*t kind of person, so she had the right scent!
    Ugh, how awful! I never liked Chanel No.5, even the old formulation. My grandmother used to wear it and it gave me a headache every time she did, which was often! It's not that I don't like the classics. For instance, I love Jean Patou Joy and have my mother's old bottle from the early 60s.
    Do happy

It was a bit of a joke, but the point would supposedly be to impress others with their superior and ultra-refined taste in perfumes!

Well, I get your point but they can still be overrated in anyone's opinion. I can only speak for myself, but I'm well aware of the history and reputation of these venerated old perfumes such as Shalimar and Mitsouko, and I'm also familiar with varying vintage versions of them, and although that's very interesting and enlightening, it doesn't change the fact that I don't think they're the masterpieces that many others clearly do ...hence, I think they're overrated.

Besides, there were many great perfumes from the same era that haven't enjoyed nearly the reputation that Shalimar has, even though they were originally considered equal or even better perfumes at the time, such as Eméraude ...which is actually a very good example of why Shalimar comes to mind when I think "overrated." Others that are just as old or older (ca. 1900-1930) that are in my opinion far better than Shalimar are Narcisse Noir, Quelques Fleurs, Après L'Ondée, L'Origan, L'Heure Bleue, and just about every old Chanel, including Chanel No5, Bois des Iles, Cuir de Russie and No 22. A fragrance doesn't automatically get or deserve everyone's love and admiration just for sticking around a long time.
    Good point and you listed some fine perfumes. I'm kind of glad the other perfumes don't have such hype attached to them.
    What I've Been Wearing:

Quote Originally Posted by L'enfer View Post
    Good point and you listed some fine perfumes. I'm kind of glad the other perfumes don't have such hype attached to them.
    Me too! I won't actually avoid a perfume I love even if it's hyped to the high heavens, but it does somehow make it a bit less appealing to me. I suppose I've just never been very comfortable on very crowded bandwagons.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

If I don't like it then it is overrated? Sorry but I don't buy this line of argument. Fine art appreciation has to go beyond personal tastes otherwise we lose all objectivity. 'Mona Lisa' is an overrated art piece because there are far better paintings out there? C'mon now...

It's not an argument - it's an opinion, and I don't expect everyone to agree with it. And why is Shalimar art but Emeraude is not? And does everyone have to agree that the Mona Lisa is great art? Does it make them stupid if they don't, or uneducated? I've seen great and impressive works of art that just don't move me personally - should I keep my opinions to myself if they happen to fly in the face of traditional "wisdom", or just keep trying to love it until I do?

The perfume/art debate sure is a compelling one, but sometimes we just don't quite understand why certain perfumes have endured as long and strong as they have, that's all.

Blog Entries

It's not an argument - it's an opinion, and I don't expect everyone to agree with it. And why is Shalimar art but Emeraude is not? And does everyone have to agree that the Mona Lisa is great art? Does it make them stupid if they don't, or uneducated? I've seen great and impressive works of art that just don't move me personally - should I keep my opinions to myself if they happen to fly in the face of traditional "wisdom", or just keep trying to love it until I do?

The perfume/art debate sure is a compelling one, but sometimes we just don't quite understand why certain perfumes have endured as long and strong as they have, that's all.
    I've said it before, If the "masses" love it, buy it, and wear it, it is a success. There are "connoisseurs" who will berate a fragrance b/c it is "common" but that is stupid. There are critics who hate Stephen King b/c he writes to the masses, and who criticize Andrew Wyeth's art b/c the "common man" likes it...that is stuck up.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Frankly, I don't really like the Mona Lisa painting; it doesn't move me. But I wouldn't call it 'overrated' based on my opinion unless I could qualify it by pointing out its flaws. For the record I don't enjoy the current Shalimar formulation either. But I respect its long history and I've worn the vintage which is truly extraordinary. I believe Shalimar's reputation is well-deserved. Whether or not it is truly a masterpiece is probably best left to fragrance experts and historians.

Depends on what you're looking for, an understanding of Classic (which I think must adhere to certain traditional criteria), or the personal aesthetic connection/transmutation (Romantic, I'd say). Of course you shouldn't keep your opinions to yourself, dear E.! Especially not when this thread is dedicated to soliciting them! Unless the original poster is just looking for general consensus on what is overrated. But how do we get there if we can't express an opinion? I see things your way, though. For example, I am uncomfortable with most works by Pablo Picasso. It pains me to regard them. I can certainly appreciate his importance in the history of Art...because I have been taught it, but that doesn't mean I would want to live with his paintings, as they just make me feel ill at ease. And that is also a function of art, but I don't think it should be the function of perfume, lol! I don't want to feel ill at ease in my own skin! Emeraude has its place in the history of perfume art as does Shalimar. They both are/were acknowledged greats...whether either is anymore is a matter of opinion. Considering how many trawl for vintage formuations might be a general indication. We have to look and experience in the Here and Now, and decide for ourselves. Just my two cents as I ramble along.

p.s. adding...I'm not comfortable calling something "good" or "art" just because it sells well. Sales and markets are manipulative.