Code of Conduct

Default Please help me choose a new Vetiver

Hello BN community!

I am needing your help once again in narrowing down a frag. This time its Vetiver(my new fav). Im looking for something sharp and polarizing and loud that lasts for more than just a few hours. Price isnt so much an issue but I would prefer to keep it under the 200$ range. So far my favorite is Encre Noir which I have a 100 ml bottle of. I have also tried the following:

Sycomore- Really great stuff and is in the lead for my next buy

Route du Vetiver(new form.)- A close second to Sycomore, I just wish it was a little "louder". Does the vintage formulation solve this problem? Are the samples watered down maybe?

Vintage Givenchy Eau de Vetyver- Probably my all time favorite, but sadly only lasted 3-4 hrs even on my clothes. Does the Mythiques version last any longer?

Any other suggestions would be very welcome, as I am going to be sampling a wide range before I make the buy. Thanks for your help in advance

Default Re: Please help me choose a new Vetiver

Vétiver by Christian Dior

I am a huge Vetiver fan myself, and this is the best time of year for them.

My personal favorites at the moment are (in order):

Frederic Malle - Vetiver Extraordinaire (fav at the moment)
    by Kilian Cruel Intentions
    Frederic Malle - Bois d'Orage
    Serge Lutens - Oriental Vetiver
    Tom Ford - Gray Vetiver
    Guerlain Vetiver

(I don't list Creed Original Vetiver, since to me it really isnt a vetiver fragrance - but very nice)
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    5. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions
    6. Puredistance - Black
    7. Tom Ford - Plum Japonais
    8. Neela Vermeire - Trayee
    9. Creed - Royal Oud
    10. Chanel - Egoiste

Sharp, polarizing, loud = Guerlain Vetiver. Quite cheap too.

Sycomore lasts a lot and project well on me. But the structure is similar to Encre Noire, vastly improved and more natural smelling.

If you want to go to the opposite extreme, Malle Vetiver extraordinaire is uncompromisingly fresh and pure. It lasts and projects well on me, but apparently not on others. This and Sycomore are my two favorite vetivers; in your case, my vote would go for this because of variety.

I don't think the mithique version of the Givenchy improves on the vintage. Two middle of the road (not in the sense of quality, but in the sense of being halfway between the smoky woodiness of Sycomore and the freshness of VE), excellent and long lasting vetivers are Lubin Vetiver and the above mentioned Dior Vetiver.

cacio

Please buy Vetiver Extraordinaire

I am also a huge vetiver fan, and you actually mention my two top favorites - Sycomore and Route du Vétiver. I'm surprised you found the MPG any less "loud" than the Chanel - I'd say it's the opposite. I own the current formulation and I find it quite loud (although vintage is supposed to be even better) - it's gorgeous!

Other vetivers in "sharp and polarizing and loud" territory could be Villoresi's Vetiver (earthy, rooty, dark), Profumum's very polarizing and controversial Fumidus and Honoré de Pres' camp fire Chaman's Party. All three are great smoky and sharp vetivers, IMO.

Blog Entries

I will mention my favorite Mona di Orio's Vetyver. It isn't "sharp" quite the opposite, it is vetiver in a soft warm fragrance. Get a sample and try it!
    For Sale: VINTAGE Montales

Molinard Vetyver if you like it clear and strong, Creed Vetiver 1948 if subtle, and the Givenchy as a balanced in-between.

The new Vetiver Fatal from Atelier is really good. For something different in the vetiver nation it is very green, with a subtle undercurrent of woods from oud and cedar. It vaguely smells similar to Dior Vetiver - I recommend this one.

For less new but tried and true unusual vetiver blends I would recommend one of these:

Annick Goutal Vetiver - dark, sultry with a hint of leather that makes it almost opulent, even decadent.
    Kenzo Air - dry crisp vetiver with unusual anise blending note.
    Les Nez Turtle Vetiver Front - by the same perfumer that created the Goutal Vetiver but this is a rooter very natural bitter vetiver.
    Villoresi Vetiver - very earthy, dry and root vetiver.
    TDC Sel d' Vetiver - the brightest most sparkling vetiver.

I second the Villoresi and the Annick Goutal recommendations - although I have found AG Vetiver to be not-to-long lasting on my skin.

If you want sharp and loud the vintage Route du Vetiver is about as sharp and penetrating as you can get. Also, if you can find it, the discontinued Floris Vetiver would be a good one to try.

I've never found samples to be watered down.

Vetyver..Carlo Corinto..Vetiver with the most compelling accords.
    Vetiver..Etro..Raw earthy,woody accords well blended with Vetiver.
    Vetiver Hombre...Adolfo Dominguez..Soft,and a tad soapy. Wears well in hotter weather.
    Vetiver..Annick Goutal..Salty sea like accord, I think blended a tad better than Sel de Vetiver.
    Vetiver..Guerlain..2000 formulation..Less Tobacco, and a bit more Citrus than the Vintage.
    Vetiver..L'Artisan Parfumeur..A more sheer Vetiver, supporting notes,do not detract from the Vetiver,woody notes present throughout whole progression.
    Vetyver..Vintage L'Occitane..More in tune with Vetiver, than woody supporting notes.
    Mazzolari Vetyver, Outstanding depth, damn near perfect accords from top to bottom.
    Route Du Vetiver..Vintage MPG..Strong earthy Vetiver..
    Racine..Vintage.. MPG..Nice balance between Citrus, and Vetiver..Light Vetiver scent..
    Vetiver..SMN..The most brash Vetiver I have ever encountered.Bone dry, mixed with light woods.
    Vetyver Lanvin (new)..Lanvin..Once again showing the lighter side of the Vetiver note.
    Vettiveru..CdG..Wears just like it is, a cologne,but has a little more depth than lets say R&G,so spray away with this one.

These are a few of my favorites,and these I probably enjoy wearing the most of all the Vetivers I own, and wear.
    Don't panic. Just stay calm, and reload....

I'm thinking you might like Lorenzo Villoresi Vetiver.

More vetiver discussion: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/172...ents-added!%29

Basenotes Plus

There are some many Vetivers to choose from.

My top are:
    Malle Vetiver Extraordinaire
    Chanel Sycomore
    The Different Company Sel de Vetiver
    Atelier Vetiver Fatal

And I do like Creed Original Vetiver.

Not a fan of most vetivers but I love the vetiver in Habanita.

Banned

Vetiver by Lorenzo Villoresi.

I've been hunting out vetiver's recently too. I'm not a huge fan of vetiver - mainly when it's translucent and fresh.
    My favourite by a mile which I am desperate to buy is
    Les Nez' Turtle Vetiver Front - a dry, smoky, earthy vetiver a rich coconut note throughout and an ambergris base - it's a stunning piece of work

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by forfreddie View Post
    Les Nez' Turtle Vetiver Front - a dry, smoky, earthy vetiver a rich coconut note throughout and an ambergris base - it's a stunning piece of work
    That is one tough one to find. I have been searching for a month.

If you want a true vetiver, then Guerlain Vetiver or Tom Ford Grey Vetiver. If you don't care if it actually smells like vetiver, then L'Occitane Eau de Vetyvr b/c it smells like Gucci Envy.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Thanks to everyone for your replies, I re-sampled Route du Vetyver last night and Im really loving it. I didnt find it as soft as I did the first go around and so it is now in the lead for my next buy. I plan on trying Villoresi's, Malle's, Goutal's, and Atelier's interpretation on vetiver before I pull the trigger on Route du Vetyver though just to be sure. Just wish I new where to get the VINTAGE Route du Vetyver..... any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by forfreddie View Post
    I

Ditto, this is the one I find the most satisfying right now.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

It is so interesting. So many persons enjoy the scent of Vetiver Extraordinaire. I received a sample and found the vetiver note to be incredibly powerful. Overwhelming in act. For the life of me, I could not wear this scent. My 20 year old scent felt the exact same way. But, that is the magic of a fragrance. Some detest it, others love it. Extraordinary.

ohh... i sad that noone mentioned L.T. Piver Vetiver. It's great earty scent. So pure and natural. I realy like it. You should also check this out.

Quote Originally Posted by PalmBeach View Post
    That is one tough one to find. I have been searching for a month.

http://www.lesnez.com/shop/pi/en/TUR...-Exercise.html

TF Grey Vetiver........or Zara Vetiver (Now Discontinued but very very good frag)

my picks in your specific case, would be Sycomore, Vetiver Extraordinaire (agree with Cacio here, it lasts and projects good on me as well but, appearantly not on everybody), Turtle Vetiver Front (if you can still find it) and Sel De Vetiver which is quite bombastic.

If you like extremely smoky vetivers, give a chance also to both Profumum Fumidus and Sigilli Athunis.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

There's a super niche company called Matthew Raimo. They make the best vetiver I've ever smelled. Check it out!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    my picks in your specific case, would be Sycomore, Vetiver Extraordinaire (agree with Cacio here, it lasts and projects good on me as well but, appearantly not on everybody), Turtle Vetiver Front (if you can still find it) and Sel De Vetiver which is quite bombastic.

If you like extremely smoky vetivers, give a chance also to both Profumum Fumidus and Sigilli Athunis.
    Nope.

Basenotes Plus

Thank you. I have been to their site several times, but did not think it was still available. Order placed today.

I've been wearing Vetiver Tonka quite a bit lately. A bit more than $200 for a full bottle, but for ~ $150 you could sample four from the Hermessence line including Vetiver Tonka. Definitely not as aggressive as the previously mentioned vetivers, this one is slightly creamy IMO and somewhat gourmand. As far as my favorite vetiver at the moment...definitely Vetiver Extraordinaire.

Quote Originally Posted by FullCollapse View Post
    Hello BN community!

I am needing your help once again in narrowing down a frag. This time its Vetiver(my new fav). Im looking for something sharp and polarizing and loud that lasts for more than just a few hours. Price isnt so much an issue but I would prefer to keep it under the 200$ range. So far my favorite is Encre Noir which I have a 100 ml bottle of. I have also tried the following:

Route du Vetiver(new form.)- A close second to Sycomore, I just wish it was a little "louder". Does the vintage formulation solve this problem? Are the samples watered down maybe?

Vintage Givenchy Eau de Vetyver- Probably my all time favorite, but sadly only lasted 3-4 hrs even on my clothes. Does the Mythiques version last any longer?

Any other suggestions would be very welcome, as I am going to be sampling a wide range before I make the buy. Thanks for your help in advance
    Route du Vetiver (both current and vintage) is very loud and projects tremendously.

I recommend either Bourbon Vetiver by Miller Harris for the quintessential Indian Ocean vetiver or Vetiver Extraordinaire for the quintessential South American vetiver.

- - - Updated - - -

Hello BN community!

Route du Vetiver (both current and vintage) is very loud and projects tremendously.

I recommend either Bourbon Vetiver by Miller Harris for the quintessential Indian Ocean vetiver or Vetiver Extraordinaire for the quintessential South American vetiver.

for swap/sale:

Banned

Comme des Garçons Vettiveru.

Basenotes Institution

Thanks to everyone for your replies, I re-sampled Route du Vetyver last night and Im really loving it. I didnt find it as soft as I did the first go around and so it is now in the lead for my next buy. I plan on trying Villoresi's, Malle's, Goutal's, and Atelier's interpretation on vetiver before I pull the trigger on Route du Vetyver though just to be sure. Just wish I new where to get the VINTAGE Route du Vetyver..... any thoughts?
    Keep an eye on eBay or on the sales boards here. I am using mine sparingly...it's one of my favorites. The way the intense vetiver mixes with the berry note and that wonderful dirt/pulled roots/weeds note is magical. Every time I wear it I am amazed at it.
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Quote Originally Posted by PalmBeach View Post
    Thank you. I have been to their site several times, but did not think it was still available. Order placed today.
    Fantastic buy

Quote Originally Posted by foetidus View Post
    If you want sharp and loud the vintage Route du Vetiver is about as sharp and penetrating as you can get. Also, if you can find it, the discontinued Floris Vetiver would be a good one to try.
    I agree 100%.
    If you cannot find either of these, I would go with Vetiver Extraordinaire.
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

Banned
    Blog Entries

if you like encre noir, the logical consequence is to buy sycomore

There are some outstanding niche recommendations on here. Original Vetiver, is very much a vetiver. In OV, the vetiver is distilled from the leaves rather than the root which is why it is fresh and doesn't have that bitter, earthy twang. Its a dichotomy to have two regions of the vetiver plant to yield such different outcomes but this gives us diversity to appreciate. My recommendation is Vince Camuto, if you're looking for a wearable green, musky vetiver scent.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Some great suggestions here.
    However, for sharp and loud - Tom Ford Grey Vetiver is very sharp and lasts very well. I would definitely sample it as it does fit the bill for what you have asked for..