Code of Conduct

Default The openning of SL Fille en Aiguilles

Hi guys,

I'm looking for a fragrance that smells like the opening of SL Fille en Aiguilles.
    Could you please advice?

Thanks!

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: The openning of SL Fille en Aiguilles

Try Arso by Profumum
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

try slumberhouse rume. i bought it after reading alfarom's review that it smells like FEA and indeed, it does not disappoint. i find FEA absolutely amazing so why looking for something else if you don't mind me asking?

...Pino Silvestre...?

Eloge du Traitre - etat libre s'orange

for swap/sale:

SL Fille en Aiguilles reminds my of Carlo Corinto Classic

Parfums d'Empire - Wazamba

Thank you for your suggestions, gentlemen!

I think I need to explain myself better: I like FEA very much, but I like the opening the best. That's why I was wondering if there is some fragrance which has as its middle-notes or basenotes something similar to FEA's sweet top notes.

By the way, I own a sample of ELdO Eloge de Traitre but I don't see the analogy to FEA. :-|

I've read someone saying FEA's opening reminds of Fou D' Absinthe. Never sampled Fou D' Absinthe. Anyone?

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by nashulian View Post
    ...I've read someone saying FEA's opening reminds of Fou D' Absinthe. Never sampled Fou D' Absinthe. Anyone?
    I can see how someone would say this, since FdA is very pine prominent. In fact the first time I smelled FdA I instantly visualized a Christmas tree...it's so vivid. However FeA is much more dark and mysterious pine, whereas the FdA is brighter, lighter and of course it smells like absinthe also, that unique wormwood note that gives it a slightly more aromatic character.

-- Jack Kerouac

I also get mostly pine from the opening of FeA. So I'd have said pino silvestre or Eloge du traitre too. But from what you said, perhaps you're looking for a different aspect - I don't get much sweetness, but I wonder if it's some type of myrrh or sweet incense, or perhaps Lutens signature candied fruits that you're looking for.

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I can see how someone would say this, since FdA is very pine prominent. In fact the first time I smelled FdA I instantly visualized a Christmas tree...it's so vivid. However FeA is much more dark and mysterious pine, whereas the FdA is brighter, lighter and of course it smells like absinthe also, that unique wormwood note that gives it a slightly more aromatic character.
    Problem solved: I just ordered a sample of FdA. I'll find out about this similarity in few days

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Nicely put - my two favourite piney fragrances by a mile. To me FdA is standing on the edge of the pine forest on a cool clear day, FeA is under the canopy, pine needles underfoot and some pine sap nearby.

I suspect this desire to find something that sustains the top notes of FeA may be fruitless, nashulian - they are top notes after all and by nature fleeting - but enjoy the ride. Fou d'Absinthe is well worth checking out. Another one that works for me is Granville from Dior, absolutely beautiful but it's different again.

Basenotes Institution

Good luck nashulian - post your impressions from your sampling once you get them. I think FeA is very unique, it might be hard to replicate the effect you enjoy so much, but smell is so subjective, so perhaps you will.

-- Jack Kerouac

Banned

The opening of Fille en Aiguilles by Serge Lutens, wherein "One is initially slapped with an invigorating jolt of outdoorsy pine, quite reminiscent of an old forest with its omnipresent pine tar, pine sap and pine needles, concomitant with a hint of terpentine. A syrupy, sweetish butterscotch undertone presents.", does not remind me of Fou d'Absinthe by L'Artisan Parfumeur, where the conifer aspect is more in the background, until the robust base ↓↓↓:

Fou d'Absinthe by L'Artisan Parfumeur - One is initially treated to a bittersweet blast from the stimulating melange of greenness spurred by ansinthe, with its dusty, dry, medicinal dimensions; angelica, with its heavy, sweet, musky attributes; star anise, with its smoky, rich, licorice character and black currant, with its strong, fruity bouquet tinged with a cat urine slant. Percolating with a faint backdrop of a coniferous forest, this somewhat brisk blend meanders to the inviting heart. Here, woody clove, spicy-sweet ginger, cinnamon-like nutmeg and a hint of lively pepper shower the green opening, and impart their warmth, while resourceful patchouli adds a warm earthiness with its slight nutty and musky overtures. The foresty background is still here, and carries this flavorful concoction to the awaiting base. Robust conifers take center stage with the fresh and slightly camphorous woodiness of pine needles and the balsamic, christmas tree aroma of firs. Cistus bestows its terpenic and pine-like facets and vague illusions of amber and leather. A faintly rugged and quintessentially outdoorsy drydown ensues. This all-season, masculine composition has good projection, a 12-inch, scent cloud, and very good longevity, 10 hours; and should be experienced, especially on cool evenings.

Rather, I would think that Eloge du Traitre by Etat Libre d'Orange and Norne by Slumberhouse are more representative ↓↓↓:

Eloge du Traitre by Etat Libre d'Orange - Upon application, one is treated to a whirlwind of pine, with its resinous and camphoraceous character, commingling with the lightly herbaceous and slightly medicinal aspects of artemisia, as well as the somewhat mentholish woodiness of laurel. A hint of musky sweetness wafts in the background. Transitioning to the heart, the diffusive, floral fruitiness of jasmine, along with the singular, leafy greenness of geranium, enhance the balsamic, pine-needle freshness of the opening. A dusting of clove adds its musty and charred-wood aspects. Segueing to the base, an animalic and smoky leather interplays with the sweetly camphoraceous and earthy woodiness of patchouli. A somewhat dark and musty musk flutters about. A comforting drydown ensues. A welcomed addition to one's wardrobe, this manly and outdoorsy composition is well blended and balanced, with average projection and longevity.

Norne by Slumberhouse - Upon application, one is treated to a stand of black hemlocks. The scent of pine needles, pine sap and pine bark creates a coniferous delight. The smoky and sweetly charred-wood facets of clove waft about creating the illusion of a distant campfire somewhere. Transitioning, a resinous, camphor aura comes into its own reminding of crushed-pine needles. Crestworts supply an aromatic mustiness, while champignon contributes its mouldy, mushroom aspects. Moss and lichen, with their dank and earthy character, completes the forest undergrowth mirage. The foresty pines segue to the base where a colophony incense sprinkles its splendid, aromatic, pine resin and smokiness. while a joyful woodiness from pepper flutters about. A spiritual element is added to the outdoorsy pine. A pleasing drydown ensues. This masculine, nature-loving composition has very good projection and longevity.

&

Last edited by dollars&scents; 20th September 2012 at 06:28 PM. Reason: add welcome

Wow !!! Thanks for your very detailed & useful post, dollar&scents !

It really depends on what the opening smells like to you. Can you describe it?
    Jubilation is another but it really depends on what part of the smell you're concentrating on. You could also see a similarity to many red berry/fruity fragrances or the red woody aspect like Sequoia.

Quote Originally Posted by laph View Post
    It really depends on what the opening smells like to you. Can you describe it?
    Jubilation is another but it really depends on what part of the smell you're concentrating on. You could also see a similarity to many red berry/fruity fragrances or the red woody aspect like Sequoia.
    I like the fruits mix in the FeA's opening. Sorry for not being clear enough before!
    Does any other fragrance smell like those fruits?

Have you tried other Lutens?

Arabie for instance?

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    Have you tried other Lutens?

Arabie for instance?
    Yes, I like Arabie very much, but I find it too sweet for me.

Just a quick note: I received the sample of Fou D'Absinthe, but it doesn't remind me of FeA at all. It is a very nice fragrance nevertheless.

For the fruits you can try Five o'clock au gingembre (and also Bois et fruits eventually)

Chypre rouge also got some red fruits and a caramelized pinewood note, but the overall thing is weird, mainly immortelle with his differents facets (cognac, curry, old prune, fig) + oakmoss...

Thanks, Mon-Petit! I'll take that into account!

Basenotes Institution

I like the fruits mix in the FeA's opening. Sorry for not being clear enough before!
    Does any other fragrance smell like those fruits?
    Yes, as mentioned above in Post #7, I think Wazamba has that same sort of mulled fruits in the top notes. However it is much thicker than FeA.

-- Jack Kerouac

Just got a sample of Rume and it does smell very similar to FeA's opening. Thanks for your support, guys!

Basenotes Institution

Glad to hear it nasulian!

I remember testing Rume once and it definitely has a Lutens-vibe, I remember mentally comparing it to Chergui by Serge Lutens. I think I also have another sample - next time I wear it I'm going to see if make any comparisons to FeA.

-- Jack Kerouac

Just got a sample of Rume and it does smell very similar to FeA's opening. Thanks for your support, guys!

On a side note, if you can still find it, you should probably give a chance to Guerlain Aqua Allegoria Winter Delice as well. Notes: fir, pine, resin, opoponax, vanille and sugar.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here