Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Default Dior Leather Oud

I finally got around to trying a sample of Leather Oud I bought from TPC. First few min. were great leather, but it dried down to a very very dry sandy resin/incense/benzoin that I found unbearable. Montale has a fragrance called Full Incense that smells EXACTLY like it. My question is, I have heard people complain of the "Civet" in this, and I know what civet is, but doesn't that smell like urine? I don't smell that.
    For Sale: VINTAGE Montales

Default Re: Dior Leather Oud

Civet does not smell like urine but more fecal like or it can smell like someones bad breath but in leather oud it is more fecal like. I think it smells great mixed in with the honey and smoky woods and leather. Only thing is not to wear it when it's hot as the civet really comes out in ways you would not expect. Best for the cold months.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    Civet does not smell like urine but more fecal like or it can smell like someones bad breath but in leather oud it is more fecal like. I think it smells great mixed in with the honey and smoky woods and leather. Only thing is not to wear it when it's hot as the civet really comes out in ways you would not expect. Best for the cold months.
    Thanks Jack, I was hoping you'd jump in, I value your expertise. I got a slight fecal note, not near like say...Montale Cuir d'Arabie opening notes though. The problem was that dry resin. It wasn't pine, that is sharp. It was more benzoin, which isn't listed in the note pyramid. Like I said I really smell it in Montale Full incense as well. It is one of the few smells that I have to wash off b/c it bothers me.

I don't understand the comparison between Full Incense and Leather Oud. To me there are no similarities at all.

double.
    Last edited by danny1967; 20th September 2012 at 02:37 PM.

+1!! and that's why i love it!!

I get the Oud wood all the way to the end. By end i mean 10 hours later. This thing lasts.

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by roman_nik View Post
    I don't understand the comparison between Full Incense and Leather Oud. To me there are no similarities at all.
    Different for me also.

Blog Entries

The dry-down of Dior Leather Oud is very very very dry incense/benzoin on me. I smell the same smell on the Montale. I have tried about 17 different Montales, so I may be confusing Full incense with another...

Quote Originally Posted by danny1967 View Post
    +1!! and that's why i love it!!
    WOrks wonders in Malaysian Humidity as well! love it!

this

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    I get the Oud wood all the way to the end. By end i mean 10 hours later. This thing lasts.
    and this

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    Yup. Same for me.

Have you tried Guerlain Songe d'un Bois d'Orient?
    rather close but more refined and crafted

Quote Originally Posted by Possum-Pie View Post
    The dry-down of Dior Leather Oud is very very very dry incense/benzoin on me. I smell the same smell on the Montale. I have tried about 17 different Montales, so I may be confusing Full incense with another...
    I would guess you are mistaking it with one of the other Montales you may have tried. Full Incense shares virtually nothing with Dior Leather Oud. FI is along the same line as CDG Avignon - all incense, no leather. No feces.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    5. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions
    6. Puredistance - Black
    7. Tom Ford - Plum Japonais
    8. Neela Vermeire - Trayee
    9. Creed - Royal Oud
    10. Chanel - Egoiste

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    I would guess you are mistaking it with one of the other Montales you may have tried. Full Incense shares virtually nothing with Dior Leather Oud. FI is along the same line as CDG Avignon - all incense, no leather. No feces.
    Perhaps... I bought 6 Montale samples at once, Maybe it was "Taj" that I'm thinking of.

Dior Leather Oud smells like none of the Montales, I get Civet and natural smelling agarwood. I love DO, I wish it had more civet though.

Perhaps... I bought 6 Montale samples at once, Maybe it was "Taj" that I'm thinking of.
    Could you be thinking of Aoud Cuir D'Arabie ? If I recall, that has a very prominant leather note... I don't remember it smelling too much like the Dior, but it is along the same line if I remember correctly...
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    5. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions
    6. Puredistance - Black
    7. Tom Ford - Plum Japonais
    8. Neela Vermeire - Trayee
    9. Creed - Royal Oud
    10. Chanel - Egoiste

Quote Originally Posted by vinramani09 View Post
    Dior Leather Oud smells like none of the Montales, I get Civet and natural smelling agarwood. I love DO, I wish it had more civet though.
    Four and five sprays then go and have a sauna, you will be in civet heaven.lol

I wore this shopping in NYC last week in high humidity. Sales people in two different stores came up to me asking what I had on.

This hasn't happened to me with a fragrance in years. LO is a keeper in my collection. To be honest it gets mundane after a while but it is always nice to come back to it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    Could you be thinking of Aoud Cuir D'Arabie ? If I recall, that has a very prominant leather note... I don't remember it smelling too much like the Dior, but it is along the same line if I remember correctly...
    No I own Cuir d'Arabie. I smelled a Montale awhile back that was dust dry incense, no oud, no leather, just benzoin scented dry as dust incense. I still think it was the dry-down of Full incense. Anyway, Dior Leather started out with Leather, but after an hour, it was a very dry incense. For leather scent, I will stick to Montale Aoud Leather, the leather note lasts and lasts... What do you all smell in Dior Leather Oud after dry-down, after the leather is gone?

Quote Originally Posted by benzganesh View Post
    WOrks wonders in Malaysian Humidity as well! love it!
    An effective advertisement for both Leather Oud and Malaysian humidity! No kidding, it's almost a perfect reason for a BNer to take a vacation. It's a lifestyle I aspire to, like after I win the lottery twice or something. "Sorry darling, need to run. I'm testing Leather Oud in Kuala Lumpur. See you in a week or so." Any serious BNer can relate, I'm sure.

Banned

Love it.

Quote Originally Posted by mrcologneguy View Post
    An effective advertisement for both Leather Oud and Malaysian humidity! No kidding, it's almost a perfect reason for a BNer to take a vacation. It's a lifestyle I aspire to, like after I win the lottery twice or something. "Sorry darling, need to run. I'm testing Leather Oud in Kuala Lumpur. See you in a week or so." Any serious BNer can relate, I'm sure.
    Yes indeed, if you are visiting from a certain shortlisted country, you might just be eligible for a visa-free olfactory expedition to experience the tropical variation of the infamous Malaysian civet's rectal passage! its called the South East Asian Olfactory Stimulus Package (which also includes the civet doing many things to you) be sure to wear that uniform that i see on your avatar, and yay! please posts some pictures for us to see ; so that second time around you might be able to gain some coupons from the tourist board which you can happily pass it to like minded tourists! (who am sure has ADHD - and has difficulty reading/encoding basic written expressions and has to come to harebrained conclusions and take everything as propoganda)

("Sorry Darling, They did things to me in Kuala Lumpur")

chuck_norris.jpg
    Last edited by benzganesh; 23rd September 2012 at 11:58 AM.

Four and five sprays then go and have a sauna, you will be in civet heaven.lol
    I just do 2 lol maybe I should do 4 or 5 lol but I am pretty sure I will want more civet haha jk. Let me spray more. As far as I am concerned, this is the best fragrance Dior has to offer period.

Quote Originally Posted by vinramani09 View Post
    As it's my first real step into both civet and oud, I could do with a little less civet To me it's quite barnyardy and rude for the 1st hour and then everything aligns into a honey/leather accord with some underlying funk which I find very unique and enjoyable, if a little sweet. So far the honey is always most prominent to my nose, but maybe that's because it is the note I'm most familiar with. It certaily doesn#'t have the same oud note that I can identify in Wonderwood, Oud Wood and Dark Aoud.

What do you all smell in Dior Leather Oud after dry-down, after the leather is gone?
    Honestly, If I wear it in any degree of warm weather or when I'm physically active it smells like someone took a piss on me...directly. It took me several months to "learn" how and where to wear this fragrance.

I'll agree with your comment of wishing for the opening notes to carry on longer, but it still is an amazing fragrance. I'm glad I went for the "Coors Light tall-boy" sized bottle.