Code of Conduct
    Banned
    Blog Entries

Default Best Aftershave (unscented)

I'm looking for a good aftershave, that is good for healing the skin, moisturizes the skin, but is very lightly fragranced (if at all) and is reasonable priced.

What do you use?

Default Re: Best Aftershave (unscented)

Water

Then I'd advise to buy one of the many unscented balsems instead of an aftershave which are mostly scented.
    Nivea for example.
    My Top '10' : (In no particular order)

- Dolce & Gabbana: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Paco Rabanne: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Loewe: Esencia/Pour Homme/Solo/7
    - Guerlain: Homme L'Eau Boisee
    - Pal Zileri: Cuoio
    - MPG: Santal Noble
    - Guerlain: Vetiver
    - Amouage: Jubilation XXV
    - Dior: Homme Intense
    - YSL: Kouros (Fraicheur)

Alverde Aftershave Balm

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    Water
    actually you raise a very good point.

the vitamin/nutrient content of the aftershave really doesn't matter. it is the vitamins you consume in your diet that matter more. would you rather water a plant at the leaves or at the root?

Basenotes Plus

Everyman Jack - unscented (thick and rich)
    and +1 for Nivea - unscented (a little thinner and lighter)

Always use quality pre-shaving foams/gels as well - and, yes, rinse with a lot of fresh water.

I have a regimen, but you can keep it more simple...

Cheers.

ericrico
    “Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infant’s flesh, sweet as an oboe’s cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.”

― Charles Baudelaire, The Flowers of Evil & Paris Spleen

Most of the plant hydrosols like witch hazel or rose water make a fine and refreshing aftershave. One you may want to try is Speick aftershave, very light herbal scent that lasts only a few moments at most and will not conflict with your fragrance.

West coast shaving is a good place to see it. Good luck.
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by goosemeplease View Post
    Most of the plant hydrosols like witch hazel or rose water make a fine and refreshing aftershave. One you may want to try is Speick aftershave, very light herbal scent that lasts only a few moments at most and will not conflict with your fragrance.

West coast shaving is a good place to see it. Good luck.
    That's exactly what I was going to suggest. I have both the balm and the splash, and although the balm is scented (just with the trademark Speick smell, so it's not overly-scented), I find the splash's scent to be really very neutral, so I'd suggest you check that out.

Rexona for Men Balm is my favourite, as it doesn't have a wet look like Nivea for Men has.

For better healing another alternative is straight witch hazel for healing (it leaves a slight coating) or witch hazel coupled with any moisturiser (applied after the witch hazel has dried on face).
    Regards,
    Renato

Basenotes Junkie

http://www.westcoastshaving.com/Luck...oz_p_1201.html
    This stuff is awesome...but I see that it's out of stock, which is news to me. It's different stuff, but it cools your face and feels sooo good after shaving. It's a steal at $8.75 for 12oz. It lasts forever...I guess I'm not helping much because it's not available.

http://www.thebodyperfect.com/TBP4Me...4menycs9oz.htm
    Just discovered this stuff about 1 1/2 months ago. It's a stupid name, but it really is good stuff. It will last a long time. Not as cheap as the stuff above, it's actually a little pricey but I'm assuming my bottle will last at least 6 months at the rate I'm using it. The combo of this and the stuff above seriously save my sensitive face, and neither has very much of a smell at all.

I also agree that Every Man Jack is great, but I use the signature mint not the unscented. The mint is very light and subtle.

Depending on the shaving soap that I use I either go for:

- Roger & Gallet's L'Homme after shave balm which is very lightly scented and has a hint of menthol in it

OR

- L'Oreal's Hydra-Sensitive after shave balm

Both work superbly and can be had at very reasonable prices.

L'Oreal Hydra Sensitive
    Body Shop Maca Root Razor Relief
    ClarinsMen After Shave Soother
    Nivea Sensitive After Shave Balm
    Clinique Post-shave healer

Any of them works well for me, and my skin is very sensitive

I found I was getting breakouts using unscented AS's with lots of moisturizers. My skin can get really angry depending on how careful I am with my DE, but this one has become my favorite!

zirh,the best

+1 for Speick. Scented, but pleasant and light and will fade quickly. Lots of skin goodies in there as well.
    If I Could Only Have a Dozen:
    1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Creed Silver Mountain Water
    3. Guerlain Vetiver
    4. Acqua di Parma Colonia Intensa
    5. Creed Bois Du Portugal
    6. Chanel Pour Monsieur Concentree
    7. Creed Tabarome Millesime
    8. Guerlain Heritage
    9. Penhaligon's Sartorial
    10. Creed Royal Oud
    11. Chanel Egoiste
    12. Creed EROLFA

Nivea For Men unscented sensitive after shave balm.

You may want to consider Lucido by the Japanese company Mandom (!). It has a light menthol fragrance but is otherwise unscented. Its a splash with some glycerine for moisturizing. Apparently you can pick it up cheap at Japanese supermarkets in the US, though I got my bottle off Ebay.
    Sans parfum, la peau est muette.

Thayer's witch hazel is my preferred unscented aftershave. It's very soothing.

"I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Quote Originally Posted by JyyskNotes View Post
    Nivea For Men unscented sensitive after shave balm.
    This is a good one.

I like the L'Oreal Men Expert Hydra Energetic Icy Effect Multi-repairing Gel Aftershave Balm with Nivea For Men Energy After Shave Splash.

Since I last replied to this post, I have a new favourite:

Weleda After Shave Balm. Works a treat with most of my shaving soaps and creams. Very light camomile and incense (?) scent which is normally gone by the time I apply fragrance. Totally recommend it.

I like the speick aftershave, and another one is the Thayer's medicated superhazel. It has more goodies and no lingering scent

sent from my chromed robot turd

Proraso. Really nice light menthol/eucalyptus scent, but gone in 10 mins. Excellent for the skin, only second to Speick. But I prefer the scent of Proraso!

Blog Entries

The best thing I've found is the skin repair moisturizing toner from Paula's Choice. A lot of the stuff they put in aftershave products is irritating to the skin, so if you have sensitive skin, it's generally best to avoid any of them since most of them include menthol and alcohol and so forth.

I used to get really bad razor burn, but it's all gone away since I started doing a few things. First was using that toner. Second is shaving with a gentle, unscented shave cream (from Kiss My Face). Third, and I think most effectively, is washing my face with a good PH balanced face wash AFTER I shave. I used to a wash my face before I shaved and then just rinse my face afterward, but an aesthetician explained to me that shaving can upset your PH balance and throw your skin chemistry out of wack so it's good to wash your face afterward instead of beforehand. I use a Paula's Choice cleanser, but the one from CeraVe is also really good and you can get it in any drugstore.

Basenotes Plus

+1 for Speick in either splash or lotion. I also like Myrsol Agua Balsamic but it's a natural herbal fragrance, you can get in from Gifts and Care in Spain for 10 euros, it's worth it's weight in gold (well nearly).

Maybe look for a good unscented moisturiser, I use: http://www.aesop.com/usa/skin-care-1...ing-cream.html

vmv hypoallergenics aftershave

My aftershave is scented, but before this one I used a D.R. Harris aftershave balm/milk, which was a white soft balm with a vague scent of "medical". I believe it was for sensitive skin though.

Thanks noirdrakkar for starting this thread. I've been pondering over the idea of an unscented aftershave myself.

Based on some of the answers here I think I'll search out Speick or Thayers.

mesaboogie, the Thayers bottle looks fantastic.

I like malin &goetz facial moisturizer and another aftershave I use is from shisedo that I picked up on sale at tj max a few weeks ago that has a light birch scent I think
    14 sprays of DRAKKAR NOIR should do it

Origins Fire Fighter - best stuff ever.

How about Nivea Replenishing ASB (white bottle blue cap)? Easily available, almost no detectable scent and great for the skin :-)

Sent from my GT-P1000 using Tapatalk 2

Thumbs up Re: Best Aftershave (unscented)

Quote Originally Posted by Upstart View Post
    I found I was getting breakouts using unscented AS's with lots of moisturizers. My skin can get really angry depending on how careful I am with my DE, but this one has become my favorite!

Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Speick is nice - it smells a bit like lavender FYI, but fades quickly.
    Nivea Sensitive balm is widely available and inexpensive.

In addition:
    Lucido is a Japanese splash that contains menthol and fades quickly. Good for summer.

Nivea is decent and a bargain at around $5 at target. Not really I scented but fades very fast. I'm a bigger fan of the Proraso sensitive balm. Called Proraso white by some. Has a pleasant spicy scent that lingers longer than Nivea but still fades pretty quick. Both of those are balms as opposed to alcohol based aftershaves. No stinging even after a really bad shave.
    Using Tapatalk

Can't stand Nivea...Leaves my face greasy and shiny....

Speick is fantastic and MOISTURIZES your face....Being in Florida, I need extra moisture because my face is very dry....Another one I have been trying is this one...It's fantastic and has Shea Butter which again adds moisture without making your face greasy...You pay for what you get, I'm afraid....

Kiehl's is the best. I dont use the aftershave though but go straight to the moisturizer...their "Sodium PCA" moisturier is my fav; works great, no scent, and doesn't make your face shiny.

Thayer's rose and aloe alcohol free toner with which hazel, or spray rose water on your face. Then follow with a balm. Gentleman's Refinery unscented is the best balm I have used.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Aftershave isn't necessary. Dump your moisturizer over your shave or use a good witch hazel and you're done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk