Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Sample Pass: Into the (Sandal)Wood meets All That Jas(mine)

Alright, so tomorrow is today and it's time to start sampling those jasmines, sandalwoods and Samsara.

Soo... the Sarrasins from Lutens. My cotton fluff was well soaked with the perfume so I hope what I dabbed from it on the top of my hand will give me a real feeling for this perfume. In the opening a lot of jasmine is there but I thought it would be a huge bouquet of heady florals while what I smell is a pleasing flowery sensation. It's quite velvety and mellow. Somehow reminds me of a scented clothes mist my mum uses when she's doing the ironing. I certainly don't get much carnation and I have this funny feeling that along with the jasmine I notice some iris (there's something powdery to it) and call me a fool or not but I say I smell some very light cocoa there too. After a while Sarrasins moved onto a smooth and sensual scent with intensified musk and weaker jasmine. It's quite elegant I say. I bet the cotton fluff way of applying lowered the intensity of Sarrasins but I think this perfume could work as an office scent if what I get is it's regular power. There's also something spicy in there, it's not a cinnamon, maybe some sweet cloves or maybe something anise-y? Not sure about it. For the rest of the time Sarrasins is a floral all the way down. I thought there would be a rose but it's not there. I think I smell yellow flowers such as daffodil, maybe some freesia or frangipani.
    Generally speaking this is a very nice perfume, feminine with a possibility of a guy wearing it.

I have not worn the cotton ball yet. On skin, it has a more clear progression: jasmine blast, then some sweetness, leather and osmanthus as a result. Interesting that you do not cite either any sweetness or leather. Do you get any leather on the background?

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    I have not worn the cotton ball yet. On skin, it has a more clear progression: jasmine blast, then some sweetness, leather and osmanthus as a result. Interesting that you do not cite either any sweetness or leather. Do you get any leather on the background?

cacio
    It definitely wasn't sweet on my skin, I didn't also get any typical leather, maybe something that could be classified as suedy accord, yes, that one could be there.

Basenotes Institution

When I wore Sarrasins from a sample, back when it came out, I never really smelled leather per se. Something grisly and animalic, yes but not leather. I also never got the osmanthus note, a note I simply love in fragrances but alas for me I just got lots of dark, beastly, creamy jasmine.

Gosh I would love to smell this scent on a sexy lady.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

The osmanthus thing is almost a trick for me. I don't smell it at the beginning, but then may be an hour later when I catch a whiff from afar, I smell something like osmanthus. Hard to say if it's included as a note per se, or if it's the combo of jasmine-apricot-leather which magically comes together to smell like osmanthus.

It'd be interesting to see what other smellers think - if they agree with Luca Turin (as I did), or not.

cacio

I never really get much leather in Sarrasins, just a brief peek that seems as if it will head in a sinister direction but never does. Really comes across as more of a short-lived heart note for me. No carnation I can detect; do not go looking here for a carnation scent. To me, it's all about the jasmine. Jasmine ice cream. And yes, sexy! Nope, don't agree with Turin this time, I never do get a fruity vibe. Maybe a smoothness there that wears a bit similar to apricot but always stays floral and not overly sweet (and I'm picky about sweet!) . Not too indolic, poised perfectly between clean and dirty. The only Lutens I've truly loved. Totally surprised at the lack of density here; it does not lack presence by any means but none of the usual Lutens heaviness. I do agree with Turin that this is a thing of beauty. This will just give me one more scent to argue with him about in my head, which is always fun for me! Mr. T does not know about these friendly arguments of ours, unfortunately.

Loved DK Jasmine, too. Cacio is right, 15-20 years ago I'd have found this very pretty but also very boring. In my early 20's, I did wear a jasmine oil that came from a local perfumery in Indianapolis. I did not know how precious that oil would become and wore it on days off work, just a casual running errands scent. It was bright, clean, inoffensive jasmine and nothing else. It smelled wonderful and of course, was mostly naturals. I have been missing it so! DK has come the closest to that oil of anything I've smelled. When I think DK, I have to admit the first thing to pop in my mind is NOT "natural smelling". But this Jasmine is- how on earth did they do this? And why couldn't I have known about it sooner?! Another one to cry over.

I remember trying 80's Samsara EDP when it was the actual 80's and not liking it. Recently though, I've been getting on more than fine with the vintage extrait. I thought I would be in for a revelation here and I was-just not the one I expected. I still don't care for the EDP and now I see why; it is much heavier on spice where extrait is heavier on the jasmine and ylang ylang. I just prefer the latter.

Gap Smooth Sandalwood would make a very nice room/linen spray, I think. One of the better synthetic sandalwoods I've tried. It does capture something of that rosy, lotion-y vibe I get from real sandalwood. On my skin, it becomes a hamster cage, must be some cedar. My skin plays up cedar in the most obnoxious way. Also, a bit of a clean laundry note here that I don't care for in perfumes but is perfectly fitting for a linen spray. Well done but I do think its best use is as a home fragrance.

Maderas de Oriente- first thought was "classic Guerlain". Very much of the same plush, velvet-laden style. Racked my brain trying to figure out why Guerlain came to mind until I saw Mike's post about Vol de Nuit. Right on, that's the one! Very similar, rounded florals in those two. I do think there's real, high quality sandalwood here but it's mainly a base note to me; had to wait a long time for it in both the locion and the tocador. But it's certainly there as a player in this blend. Overall, this is mainly an ambery floriental on me. Something haunting about this one I just can't put my finger on. Agree Locion is a bit dirtier but not by much; both versions have wholly earned their raunch cards.

This was so much fun, jujy, thank you! So nice to smell some good quality woods and jasmine, both such rareties now. Your Sarrasins is a star, do enjoy it!
    Last edited by PerfumedLady; 20th January 2013 at 08:52 PM.
    The nose wants what it wants!

Jasmine from Donna Karan performed very simply on my skin. Pure jasmine, floral, clean, a little bit soap. Very linear without any particular surprises and what surprised me was that the scent was totally gone after an hour of testing.

I wanted to add a bit on Sarrasins - through Jujy's generosity who shared with me a bit more of Sarrasins per my shameless request I was able to give it another full wear and I am able to detect much more second time around.

First time like most I didn't detect leather, fruits, or osmanthus, just creamy jasmine. But second time around I can pick up much more - raw leather in the very beginning that stayed for the most part; fruits - mainly the apricot; as for osmanthus, I don't know how it smells like in real life but I had a sample of Osmanthus by the Different Company which I applied on a wrist. I must say, I don't' detect much of similarity, maybe just light fleeting delicately sweet something.

Now that Sarrasins fully warmed up it's mostly jasmine and fruits on my skin. The leather, unfortunately, made it's exit earlier. If it stuck around for a while longer, Sarrasins would certainly have been full bottle worthy for me.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by PerfumedLady View Post
    ...both versions have wholly earned their raunch cards...
    This made me giggle.

-- Jack Kerouac

queen of the universe

I'm enjoying everyone's colorful descriptions. Re: Sarrasins, if I'm not mistaken, my impression was something like post-coital bliss plus ice cream, in other words, what's not to love?

- - - Updated - - -

Here are the two Maderas de Oriente formulas in my possession. They are in heavy rotation these days.
    If you get a thumbnail, just click on it.

P1030300.jpg
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

Basenotes Institution

I would have never even stopped to sample the Gap Sandalwood, if I hadn't participated in this sample pass. I adored the Gap Grass years ago, and I always had a soft spot for Om but since those first fragrances, most of the releases from the Gap are horrible. Well, maybe horrible is not the right word - derivative. Boring. Smell like detergent or hand soap. For me, as a Basenoter, this is 'horrible.'

Gap Sandalwood manages to be both soapy, slightly herbal (in that baby aspirin sort of way) and then mostly smelled from afar, softly woody and a tiny bit creamy. I have used sandalwood soap in the shower (a brand from Whole Foods that I cannot remember) and this fragrance replicates that experience: hot suds, water, soap, woody notes...something detergent-esque in the background. The trick is not to smell this one too close to the skin (soap!) but to let it waft up to the nose, gently (sandalwood!).

I have only dabbed a tiny amount since you sent me such a small amount J, but I promise next time I wear it I will pour the rest of the 1/3 of a ml on my arm - I'm sure I'll have a much wider-palette experience.

For now, I will call this 'nice'. I can't imagine it offending anyone and it might be a good recommendation for people who don't really like sandalwood. An Entry Sandalwood, if you will.

J, we keep calling this Sandalwood but the only images I can Google on this one are called Smooth Sandalwood. Is this the one we're sampling?

-- Jack Kerouac

Yes, I believe that's the one, Mike!

Glad I could give you a giggle! I think you and jujy both know this about me but I should clarify for those who may not- when I say a scent is a card carrying member of the Raunch Club, I mean it as a compliment. A big ol' skank-lovin' compliment!
    The nose wants what it wants!

queen of the universe

You are 100% correct, mike, it is Gap Smooth Sandalwood. I think that just did not fit on the vials White Fluffy sent me, tho I think she did note the names.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post

J, we keep calling this Sandalwood but the only images I can Google on this one are called Smooth Sandalwood. Is this the one we're sampling?

Yes, that's the one, sorry for the confusion. As far as I know it's been discontinued few years ago and I was lucky enough to pick it up in the TJ Maxx for $9.99 on clearance. I thought, at the very least, I will use it as a room spray, which I do .

You are so very right, Mike (can I call you Mike? We are not officially acquainted) that it's better to smell from afar, not up close. It's most beautiful when whiffs are caught. When sniffed up close it's very obviously synthetic and can come across as harsh.

queen of the universe

Wore the MdO locion today. It lasts forever on me when applied on the back of my forearm, as a close to the skin scent, probably because the hair holds ontl it. I have to bring my forearm to my nose, then I smell powdery woody ambery wonderfulness. You should all thry it. (:

Basenotes Institution

I'm wearing the Sarassins from the cotton ball now (so funny, jujy54 double bagged it!). The ball was still damp so I smeared it all over my hairy forearms. Wow, I forget how lovely this stuff is. Maybe also, when I had a decant of this, I always sprayed it on - and then one time I did dab it on, like today, and it yields a sort of different effect/texture. I love that about some fragrances. I get the 'cream' everyone's speaking about - I sort of don't like this, personally. However I'm less bothered by it now, then when I first smelled it. Not skanky or even leather-prominent per se but something 'black' smelling, it's hard to describe. I remember giggling at that thread on the men's board about Sarassins years ago, have you read that one jujy54? Here it is: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/252...about-this-one

-- Jack Kerouac

queen of the universe

Oh, mikeperez23, it is a classic! First off, sugandaraja's description is spot-on and priceless, especially this:
    If Fracas was a person, it would have absolutely nothing to say to Sarrasins.
    Then there's this:
    Most jasmine soliflores bring to mind a sucked on grape Jolly Rancher that's been spit out on the floor of a florist shop.
    Sarrasins was a blind buy for me, tho not without advise and consent from many on this forum. A friend was in Paris and I wanted something that I couldn't get here, and I wanted Lutens in a bell jar. I love this stuff. Also agree with that thread, mike, that Sarrasins is to be daubed not sprayed. No, it hasn't much sillage, it is a skin scent to be nuzzled, whether your own arm or someone else's neck.

queen of the universe

Ah, basenote hiccough. double post. it happens.
    Last edited by jujy54; 25th January 2013 at 09:47 PM.

Basenotes Institution

I have had a complete 'new look' at Sarrasins after today, thank you J!

-- Jack Kerouac

Basenotes Institution

Did cestrum nocturnum get samples? I'd love to hear her comments on them.

-- Jack Kerouac

queen of the universe

She should have, mike. I'm waiting, too.
    cestrum?

Banned

i somehow missed this thread or just recently i have learnt about Samsara... i did not know its jasmine-sandalwood combo ...the modern EDP is a killer, it stays for 2 days on clothing....does that vintage one differs much from the modern one?? would appreciate if you could comment more , this is basicly my ideal combo...but modern version really smells especially in the beginning so so loud and synthetic!!

so this pass somehow missed on Ubar....Ubar for me is like more sophisticated expresion of Samsara ...its also jasmine sandalwood combo! with something milky in it....not so obvious as Samsara....

Sarrasins is gorgeous jasmine Sambac.....its sophisticated take on Sambac.... peachy jasmine, perfect combo for me! and love at first sniff....i dont get much of leather , actually the same as in Visa

am curious to know if Homage sandalwood , the discontinued frag was real Mysore sandalwood?
    they also have Jasmine....but dont know which one is it......Sambac is somehow very distinctive from other jasmines( egyptian etc.)
    Last edited by iivanita; 3rd February 2013 at 05:17 PM.

queen of the universe

Hi, iivanita, since this wasn't so much a sample pass as a sample spread it around with each participant receiving decants of all the fragrances, maybe someone would like to pass theirs on...?????? Anyone?

- - - Updated - - -

iivanita, happy to report cacio will be sending you some samples from this pass. Grazie, cacio!

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by iivanita View Post
    i somehow missed this thread or just recently i have learnt about Samsara... i did not know its jasmine-sandalwood combo ...the modern EDP is a killer, it stays for 2 days on clothing....does that vintage one differs much from the modern one?? would appreciate if you could comment more , this is basicly my ideal combo...but modern version really smells especially in the beginning so so loud and synthetic!!
    The vintage used real Mysore sandalwood (like most vintage Guerlains) so the creamy sandalwood base notes are even richer, more intense and long lasting. IMO the top notes are loud in the vintage and in the new - remember Samsara came out when 'loud' fragrances were in vogue, so this needs to be taken into consideration. Of all of the formulations, the 'quietest' is the Parfum or if you can find it, try to get some Body Lotion, which is much more subtle. Nonetheless, once the jasmine stops screaming it smells SO FRIGGIN GOOD.

In fact tomorrow, I'm going to wear the sample that jujy54 sent me - I'm going to strut into my office trailing a huge bubble of Samsara. Watch out!

-- Jack Kerouac

queen of the universe

mike, this is off topic, but every time I see the last two words of your sig quote, I bust out laughing. Bald behind?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by jujy54 View Post
    Hi, iivanita, since this wasn't so much a sample pass as a sample spread it around with each participant receiving decants of all the fragrances, maybe someone would like to pass theirs on...?????? Anyone?

- - - Updated - - -

iivanita, happy to report cacio will be sending you some samples from this pass. Grazie, cacio!
    Wooow!!!!:-) lovely !! Thank you so much Cacio, and guys and girls:-), i can add Ubar sample on the pass to the next person:-)

Since i love jasmine, and sandalwood, i think Samsara will be my new love, and i don't mind it beeing loud:-) cant wait to compare it to the modern samsara, because that one smells also too good in the late drydown!

Looking forward to this:-)

Basenotes Institution

Civet Lady, is the Samsara Eau de Parfum that you sent us from the box that looks like this:

-- Jack Kerouac

Banned

hello guys and girls!!

thank you very much all , so many things happened in between i have learnt few more things

i recieved a package with 4 samples from sample pass, and unfortunately one leaked...it is MdO T.... so locion is there but this other is not....i could smell some becasue was in plastic bag and tiny drop in the vial left, i did not use it yet

it smelled somehow familiar, i was thinking about Samsara...its very feminine sweet gentle frag, and somehow peculiar smell, i could recognize it beeing EDT and old school, like i smell Tabu but not so spiced this one is very mild sweet and gentle....and some carnation...but something in there was giving me a feeling that maybe came from perfume beeing mixed with plastic? will try the drop from a vial and report...on that one and other 3 as well: dona karan, MdO locion and GAP....looking forward to that

i wont be able to share my Ubar becasue i sold it and beeing stupid not taking out at least for a small vial and i could have done it was huge bottle! but here is my review of this new Ubar :
    the one i like very much had sweet milky sandalwood and copahu balm....and was complex, and later had a bit of something powdery....this new one version has something that reminded me of sweat!! so either it is bad sandalwood, with off notes or , which i think more probable is it has loads of civet and no sandalwood!....i.e.vanillic civet synthetic one....its way much sweeter then the Ubar from 2009
    it is still way better frag then modern Samsara....but is more simple then the version i like, more "oriental" and more synthetic!...and not that floral as well! lost on that beautiful creaminess and also is noticabley weaker!.....

as with all synthetic frags it smells much better after 3-4 hours into the play!

but what i gained is Samsara EDP 30ml vintage bottle not like the above on the picture, and it is gorgeous!!
    one does not have to endure anything....its beauty from the top to the bottom!! its not loud at all, its sensual florals yilang and jasmine...nothing overpowering the other....dancing with sandalwood, that gets better and better, milky creamy....and mild, sandalwood can not scream! you get the feeling you want to stop the moment....but you cant....slowly hour after hours is getting more and more quiet...becoming skin scent, the one that makes you sniff yourself!
    the quality of that Samsara is i think like the quality of Serge Lutens scents today...La myrrhe , having the beautiful sandalwood in the base!! it is more longlasting...but it also has some other stronger notes....

in the late drydwon , its very quiet, almost unnoticable ..bit powdery iris and vanilla, but its like you smell it from a distance..like aquarel it is also long lasting but like the real sandalwood it whispers beautiful melody

the modern Samsara...is the best next day its 100% synthetic sandalwood note, that has kind of metalic note something that is causing sickness....and hard to wear....its super loud, and super long lasting....

to be continued....
    Last edited by iivanita; 21st February 2013 at 02:51 PM.

queen of the universe

Welcome to the pass, iivanita. Looking forward to all your observations.

Banned

so i hope i am not mistaking too much...MdO locion and Tocador smell almost the same...but locion smells much better!! like real perfume...and the one i like!!

i did not smell too many perfumes with these type of notes..and it smells like beautiful mimose flower with sandalwood base...smells so feminine, so creamy (but not like a cream), buttery, yellow, yet it has nice strength ......i was surprised to like it because the Tocador....was smelling a bit like off note, or like some coffe note dropped in it...or dirty...like a dirty water after washing something undefined in it , so was not too impressed...
    Locion has a feel of a real perfume and is much stronger and i smell it yellow, and mimosa..., something slightly powdery...like some iris notes....maybe some more white florals added, and remindes me of of Apres L Ondee although less green or wet , so i rememberd Frederic Malles Cassie...so this would lie in between and like it better then Malles...

when i read someone mentioned Guerlain it dawned on me....becasue before seeing Guerlain i could not place it..although it felt like i know it

i could not find it on fragrantica, so dont know the notes but it smells a lot like mimosa...and those notes dont come very often but are sooo feminine!! and whispery...never loud!

luv it

thank you Jujy54 and Cacio

the modern Samsara...is the best next day its 100% synthetic sandalwood note, that has kind of metalic note something that is causing sickness....and hard to wear....its super loud, and super long lasting....
    Oh, I know exactly what are you talking about, that sickening synthetic sandalwood. It literally makes me nauseated.

Ivanita and I must both have a similar sensitivity to certain notes, because I, too, find a noticeable mimosa/heliotropin note in MdO, in contrast to Jujy. Heliotropin is plentiful in Apres l'Ondee too, so that would explain the connection.

cacio

Basenotes Institution

I smell the heliotrope too - which gives the MdO a very 'Guerlain' feel to me.

-- Jack Kerouac

Banned

hello again all,

oh so that is it cool, i thought i am getting tired and everything reminds me of something yesterday , most funny Habanita reminded me so much of Onda just as its sweet "female" version....

now i tried Jasmine by DK, it opens up like milder version of Sarrasins, just lot less intense....and goes quiet very soon, smells like a mix of 2 types of jasmines to me, very nice, but very quiet as well.....cant comment on the longevity since i just touched a skin with vial....

and Gap Sandalwood, i agree with PerfumedLady (havent read others comments yet ....)this smells so much like some laundry note...i suppose its some kind of a musk in there...or maybe this comes from a rose , and it doesnt go away... honestly this would never remind me of a sandalwood, but i have never tried real mysore one...and in perfumes what i consider as sandalwood is sweet milky note, that i like so much, like i get in La Myrrhe, and Samsara...and used to be in one version of Ubar.....nad Bois des Iles....here this one is more like real woods, but synthetic one , very synthetic with strong laundry note that just ruins it for me i stay away from those type of scents, this one tries to mimic sandalwood Amyris, which smells of woods to me, and thats not at all what i would go crazy about

so this is it its very little left from the last 2 , but one more person could have a go....i will add my samsara ....

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Whitefluffy View Post
    Oh, I know exactly what are you talking about, that sickening synthetic sandalwood. It literally makes me nauseated.
    hehe yes but i can not say that the overal scent is yuk...its interesting. i was sniffing it from a huge distance...because was dangerous to be very close , next day was nice! so i was dreaming how vintage one would smell like and i did not think will be that good!
    ...but recently... i just dont accept anything that smells 95% synth. and looks like 90%of all perfumes beeing made smell just like that......and then it comes to the taste what bothers the least....for example Dia extrait has really a lot of natural stuff in it i would say 30% at least?or more?...but the musk in the base kills me and wearing something for several hours gets so hard when something popps out like that.....like some soar note grrrr

i think after smelling so many things i started beeing extremly demanding lol, too much maybe!!

oh so that is it cool, i thought i am getting tired and everything reminds me of something yesterday , most funny Habanita reminded me so much of Onda just as its sweet "female" version....
    Oh, it's so funny. I wore Onda last night and my first thought was also Habanita; although Onda is much darker and more impressive. Cacio was very kind to share with me the extrait version and it's quite glorious if a bit sweet.

Banned

hahah Whitefluffy!! isnt it amazing noone has mentioned this before .....i am sure now its good hint, when you smelled it too...ok Onda beeing bitter and more natural as well.......Habanita smells like "perfumed up" version of Onda for girls lol

Both Habanita and Onda contain a lot of vetiver in the base, which gives a certain dryness and freshness to counter the heavy notes of the rest of the frag. To my nose, Habanita then has tobacco and vanilla, while Onda has an animalic leather.

cacio

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Both Habanita and Onda contain a lot of vetiver in the base, which gives a certain dryness and freshness to counter the heavy notes of the rest of the frag. To my nose, Habanita then has tobacco and vanilla, while Onda has an animalic leather.

cacio
    yes vetyver is what i smell there too....but Habanita has more powdery orris root notes...and some benzoin too...and Onda has musky base...both have that same kind of animalic smell.....i dont get any specific leather note in either to me what i consider real leather is styrax...everything else is just mimicking.....so Onda to me smells very rooty and bitter herbal... has dirty note but not from animal origin ...not like civet...it is strange becasue i did comparison with civet laden frags....and its kind of the same...and still Onda for me is like some herbal digestive

sorry to have used this sandalwood thread for Onda ...but everyone raved how Onda is so original nothing like you smelled before: ) only Djedi is the one....so was surprised

Basenotes Institution

Strange: I love vetiver and yet I detest both Habanita and Onda.

-- Jack Kerouac

How did I miss this sample pass...wah. I have been craving sandalwood lately. I have Tam Dao and Keiko Mecheri's Bois de Santal and there are 2 blind-bought bottles coming (Caswell Massey and Crabtree & Evelyn)...

? Any way to extend the pass...or I could start a new one soon... Lisa

queen of the universe

I associate heliotrope with bitter almond, and do smell it like mad in Habanita, and to a lesser extent in L'Heure Bleue. I tried again today, and I don't catch it for the life of me in MdO locion, from which I do get an alluring combo of wood and skin, and now a bit of clove. And maybe the mimosa. But not heliotrope.

I should also mention how much I am enjoying everyone's comments.

Very late to the party here, sorry! I totally didn't see the cotton ball saturated one and didn't know it was part of the pass, believe I accidentally threw it in the trash with the wrapping! Total bummer as I really like jasmine!

—The Sandalwoods

•Myrurgia Maderas de Oriente, locion formulation- I get powdery violet in this, powdery, like a talc powder/scented dusting powder. A bit green, probably from the violet. Civet, more than likely, as it does have some dirtiness to it. Like I said, mostly violet here. I'd say it is from the 50's. Perhaps some heliotrope as well. Soapy. Maybe some iris in there. Can't smell these vintages much as they kill my sinuses, lol. Pretty but not something I would wear. Too many reactions.

•Myrurgia Maderas de Oriente, perfume de tocador formulation- Very pretty. Powdery but with a slight balminess to it. Less dirty than the other MDO. Smells like a dusting powder. Violet again? Something slightly herbal to it. Like a bit sour..just a touch though. And I get musky.

•The Gap sandalwood-very clean sandalwood as expected from the Gap.

—The Jasmines

•Donna Karan Essences Jasmine EdT- Very impressed with the quality of this jasmine, really up there! Very nice.
    •Serge Lutens Sarrasins EdP- I failed, big time.

—Jasmine and Sandalwwod meet

•Guerlain Samsara EdP, 1980s-lovely, like Tuscany by EL but with more sandalwood, nice.
    Last edited by kalli; 24th February 2013 at 01:05 AM.
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by jujy54 View Post
    I associate heliotrope with bitter almond, and do smell it like mad in Habanita, and to a lesser extent in L'Heure Bleue...
    For sure. I am wearing L'Heure Bleue (vintage PdT) as I type this and heliotrope is swirling all around me. Love that.

At least for me, mimosa is closely related to the smell of heliotrope - in my mind they are like twins, hard to detect apart.

-- Jack Kerouac

kalli offered to forward the pass samples to me . Thanks so much!

I have a Ramon Monegal Discovery Set coming in the mail. -- would there be interest in my making a Monegal sample pass in the future?

Lisa

No problem, I've tried a few RM but I am sure others who haven't tried some would be interested. What's in the set?
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

The Ramon Monegal Discovery Set is 14 fragrances: Agar Musk, Ambria Di Luna, Cuirelle, Cotton Musk, Cherry Musk, Dry Wood, Entre Naranjos, Impossible Iris, Kiss My Name, L'eau de Rose, Lovely Day, Mon Cuir, Mon Patchouly, and Umbra. I hear he has a new fragrance coming out (?) -- I have never tried any of these and am intrigued by the descriptions. Lisa

A new fragrance? Mmm, really? Sorry to get off topic on the thread Jujy! I think you will like some though, Lisa! I kinda want to try Cherry Musk..but it's the cherry part I'd want to sniff, not so much the musk..that's why I haven't sampled that one yet. I've tried eight of the ones listed though. Don't think I will like anything musk though. L'eau de Rose and Dry Wood seem worth looking into a bit. Sorry again, to get off topic!

Banned

hello Lisa,

i can forward these what i have, but they are very tiny samples now only MdO is decent one and if you have not smelled Samsara i will add mine...and...i have one which i think is beautiful sandalwood too, bit like oriental, indian market Maharanih intense...so would you be interested or anyone else? i will send 5 small samples 3 from this pass and 2 mine?

iivanita, that's very nice of you, but I worry about the trouble mailing things from overseas... Lisa

Hey, just tried the Sarrasins, thank you! It's a big time jasmine. A warm jasmine that reminded me of Lust by Lush but less potent and more woody. I don't get that much carnation, which is a bummer cause I really like that flower! Gets musky on dry down, which I don't like. A rich, warm, a bit balmy jasmine. I don't think I'd get a fb, cause I'd probably go for Lust if I wanted that warm jasmine, mainly cause the price..and I think it's less musky. Lust is potent though, like almost too potent. One squirt is plenty for me! The purple juice of the SL is pretty cool though! Thanks for letting me try it!

I haven't sent those samples off yet but will try to before too long, sorry!

Sent out those samples the other day, finally.

The more I smelled that cotton ball, the more I liked it. I prefer it over Lush and I do dig that purple juice. Hopefully, the cotton ball won't dry out by the time it reaches Lisa, lol.

Got the samples today, thanks so much for sharing with me! I zeroed right in on that purple cotton ball.

Wow, Sarrasins immediately conjured a big, bad dame, Cruella D'Eville. The spouse liked it, said it smelled "like a big honeysuckle"

The Gap Sandalwood is very soft and pleasant but seems to disappear on me in moments. Looking forward to trying the rest. Lisa

queen of the universe

HI, Lisa, looking forward to your observations.

Alrighty: Myrurgia Maderas de Oriente: these are very soapy to me, especially the perfume de tocador formulation. The locion is drrrrrrty soap -- after an initial blast of Tabu, I got a spicy thing, like ginger and cinnamon with a skanky edge Then the locion is like a mellowed-out Shocking de Schiaparelli, less embittered, shoulders down. Getting early wafts now of a warm, woody drydown -- what a ride!

DK Jasmine is really nice, no gameyness. It's actually a little fizzy smelling on me -- ? jasmine soda.

So nice of you all to include me! Lisa