Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    queen of the universe

Default Sample Pass: Into the (Sandal)Wood meets All That Jas(mine)

I am the lucky owner of a huge (195 ml) bottle of Myrurgia Maderas de Oriente in locion strength, made in Mexico. I last owned this in the early 1980s in the more familiar "perfume de tocador" concentration, made in Spain. Both bottles have two twigs tied together floating in the juice.

I find MdO to have the definitive sandalwood drydown. After a alluringly dirty start, it softens to a creamy sweet wood that lasts on my skin for hours. At least that's what I think I'm smelling. What I am smelling is a component of my Most Favored Drydown, as I experience it in several vintage frags: Antilope, My Sine, Ma Griffe, and Miss Dior most notably.

I'd like to share MdO with noses experiences (cacio, TWolf, you are being most respectfully summoned!)and new. My plan is to circulate three 2 ml samples so that many noses can sample without it taking forever. I'd like each sniffer to feel free to sample over a three day period and then contribute your insights.

Additionally, if anyone has another representative sandalwood to contribute, let me know.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

- - - Updated - - -

"I'd like to share MdO with noses experiences" should read experienced not experiences. Basenotes is not letting me edit since it came back on line [sigh].
    Last edited by jujy54; 11th January 2013 at 02:52 AM. Reason: Title change
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

Default Re: Sample Pass: Into the (Sandal)Wood

I feel like I am monopolizing pass the samples. Unfortunately, I cannot be of great help here, because I am a recent aficionado, having started a few years ago in an era when Mysore sandalwood was already off limits. So I wouldn't really be able to comment on true sandalwood. That said, I'd like to smell the vial, for my curiosity.
    I have a few vintage perfumes, but cannot think of any where sandalwood is really prominent. though, again, I may not be able to say even if it's there, mistaking it for woods or what else.

cacio

Not interested but thanks. I have tried it at some point in the past and it did not impress me at all. Seems like we are sharing some different values, fragrance-wise. (Not judging here and not saying whose are better, with all due respect). Do not want the same experience as with your favorite MP and a few others.

queen of the universe

'Tis true, TWolf, there's not much overlap in our wardrobes, much as one person loves Brahms and another Mahler. I invited you because of your aptitude for note identification, and above all I wanted to be sure it's sandalwood I'm smelling. MdO is a very simple fragrance, blunt even, and, of all things, I sometimes combine it with another of the loud and linear, Perfumer's Workshop Tea Rose (I hope this doesn't have you running for a gas mask!). Thanks for responding. I respect all thoughtful opinions, not just those that jibe with mine, but I certainly won't ask you to sniff something you find unappealing.

cacio, sure I'll send you some—actually I thought I had, but that may have been someone else.

My Wardrobe with 20 fragrances is not very indicative of what I have -- I have said before that most of my fragrances are decants. When the fragrance goes down to about 15 ml or 4 ml for a pure extrait, I remove it from the Wardrobe and keep in Tested.

Tea Rose is all right. I have a bottle on hand just for the references.

queen of the universe

TWolf and cacio, do you recommend anyone else for note identification? I am remiss to not mention my other astute Weil samplers (besides cacio), Whitefluffy, PerfumedLady, CivetLady, and cestrum nocturnum, whom I would love to include. MdO was a dirt cheap fragrance back when I was in my 20s, so—the little immersed twigs notwithstanding—I do wonder if the wood I'm smelling is a) sandalwood, and b) natural, not synthetic.

Lastly, if I've never met you or you've never done a sample pass, please feel free to jump in.

- - - Updated - - -

TWolf, I will have to revisit your wardrobe. I still have some of the lovely samples you sent me. If I had but one word to describe your taste in fragrance it would be refined. I especially appreciate being introduced to Coriandre, which I must scout on eBay.

- - - Updated - - -

TWolf, I will have to revisit your wardrobe. I still have some of the lovely samples you sent me. If I had but one word to describe your taste in fragrance it would be refined. I especially appreciate being introduced to Coriandre, which I must scout on eBay.

Quote Originally Posted by jujy54 View Post
    TWolf and cacio, do you recommend anyone else for note identification? I am remiss to not mention my other astute Weil samplers (besides cacio), Whitefluffy, PerfumedLady, CivetLady, and cestrum nocturnum, whom I would love to include. MdO was a dirt cheap fragrance back when I was in my 20s, so—the little immersed twigs notwithstanding—I do wonder if the wood I'm smelling is a) sandalwood, and b) natural, not synthetic.
    Hi Jujy! That is very kind of you to think of me. I am very interested! Thank you! My Dad loved sandalwood, so I suspect I smelled a good amount of the real stuff during my childhood. He was also fond of imported soaps and such, and I recall a fantastic sandalwood soap that made his hands and face smell wonderful. I'm not sure how helpful this will be, but sandalwood is always nostalgic and sweet to me.

jujy:

indeed, you had! I had forgotten. I remembered Mollie Parnis, but when you mentioned, I remembered there was something else as well, and there it was, Madera de Oriente. So there's no need to include me in the pass the sample, I have it already.

I'll be testing it. For now, I just put it on (but it's late so I won't get to the drydown). - so far it's a powdery, flowery heliotrope, but it's too early for the drydown.

cacio

Wow, Jujy, how super kind and generous of you. I didn't want to sigh up initially either as I shared cacio's sentiment that I have been signing up for way too many passes lately and must leave room for others, especially those gifted with superior olfactory perceptions. But thank you from the bottom of my heart for invitation, I could never dream to rival cacio, CN, PerfumedLady, or Civet Lady in their skill of recognizing the components and scope of education.

But as far as sandalwood, I was very fortunate to enjoy undiluted Mysore sandalwood essential oil, and it was one the most beautiful things I have ever smelled. I barely remember it now, so I am not sure that I will be a great help. I do have a sandalwood fragrance made by GAP. Yes, the youthful if a bit cheesy clothes brand. And I understand that it does not sound particularly enticing, but it is the closest synthetic smell to real sandalwood oil I smelled to date. I don't wear it, only spray my pillows sparingly before I go to bed, but I enjoy it immensely. I will be happy to contribute it to this pass for comparison sake.

queen of the universe

cacio, heliotrope? I always associate heliotrope with a bitter almond scent—am I mistaken? I do think the woods come out much, much later.

cn & WF, glad to have you on board. Both of you have been great contributors to the Weil thread. WF, wow, the real thing! I do remember putting bars of sandalwood soap in my scarf drawer, sandalwood being much more available decades ago.

- - - Updated - - -

cacio, heliotrope? I always associate heliotrope with a bitter almond scent—am I mistaken? I do think the woods come out much, much later.

cn & WF, glad to have you on board. Both of you have been great contributors to the Weil thread. WF, wow, the real thing! I do remember putting bars of sandalwood soap in my scarf drawer, sandalwood being much more available decades ago.

- - - Updated - - -

another update (can't edit for some reason): cacio, I find the opening of MdO to be "stinky" of all things, sort of dryly fetid. Do you?

Heliotrope as in almond-mimosa - but I seem to smell it pretty widely now that it has been banned and I have developed a liking for vintage Apres l'Ondee and heure bleue. Perhaps my nose is attuned. But the note was gone in 10 minutes, so it was a top note. Unfortunately, my skin has now eaten the perfume and I cannot smell anything. I must wear more next time.

cacio

queen of the universe

MdO lasts forever on me. The best of it doesn't even show up until about 4 hours in. I prefer it on the back portion of my forearm, as the hair seems to hold it. re: heliotrope, I just received a sample of modern Habanita which I find to be a great big heliotrope, verging into loukhoum territory. Very fetching.

Buona notte!

I'm honored, jujy, count me in!
    The nose wants what it wants!

I would love to join if possible but I'll understand if there's no place for me

queen of the universe

lucasai, yes, you're in! I'll wait a few more days before announcing a pass sequence.

lucasai, yes, you're in! I'll wait a few more days before announcing a pass sequence.
    Thank you jujy! ♥ I see that you're all in the USA so my suggestion is that I take the last spot in the passing sequence

Basenotes Institution

I look forward to reading everyone's impressions of the scent. How nice of you jujy54!

I hope you've read my (re-do) thread on Sandalwood I posted to the Men's board here:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/284...-re-formatted)

Also, I started a thread last year when I went through a 'sweet sandalwood' phase (that I'm still in) here: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/282...t-sandalwoods?
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

queen of the universe

Wow, mp23, and thank you! Those are definitive threads. You must let me send you some since I'd like to read your impressions.
    So far would be five of you. I think I will send out individual decants so as to keep the thread lively and not dragging into 2012.
    So, WF, cn, mp23, and lucasai, pm me with addresses, and I will prepare packages.

- - - Updated - - -

fwiw, and be advised: I remember MdO as a bargain fragrance in my youth. It was neither department store nor chain drugstore, more something you bought at a neighborhood sole-proprietor type drugstore or some small accessory boutique. In Cleveland it was probably from some little storefront in the Old Arcade.

sorry I'm late....my bizness has been bizi --ooo boy!

but never too bizi for some sniffs!

I have both vintage Samsara EDP & PP if interested - is that in the ballpark or is it too well known?
    have never tried the MDO but I do remember seeing a bottle on my mothers dresser, next to the My sin and C5....
    Seriously Addicted to Animalics, Chypres and Vintage Pure Parfums!

queen of the universe

not late at all, CivetLady. Samsara EDP would be a wonderful pairing, passing the PP seems extravagant. Do you want to send me a ml or two? This makes six participants—so far... (:

I'm looking forward to reading this thread as it develops. I was fortunate enough to sample a Sandalwood attar in Barcelona last week. Obviously not Mysore but the closest to the Sandalwood soap and Maja soap I was gifted many years ago and still scent my knicker drawer beautifully.

My work friend was born and raised in Mysore, she swears the nearest thing to her memories of real sandalwood oil is the dry down of Aromatics Elixir on me. Boy was I happy with that comment! My poor snozzle doesn't register any woods in AE, probably fatigues from the patch and top to registered such subtlety

May I join? I've been wanting to sniff Samsara for a while. Thanks.
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

Just a quick one! Jujy, there is no need to share Samsara with me, I used to have PP and still remember how it smells like .

queen of the universe

Sure, kalli, pm me an address. I think I'll close the pass here.
    WF—noted! Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitefluffy View Post
    Just a quick one! Jujy, there is no need to share Samsara with me, I used to have PP and still remember how it smells like .
    And I now have that bottle! I could save CivetLady the trouble of making a parfum sample; I still have the 1.5 ml vial sample that Whitefluffy originally sent me. Would be easy to top it off with more juice and pop it in the mail! Let me know, I'll get right on it if you'd all like to try it!

queen of the universe

Hi, everyone. Just wanted to let you know that with Civet Lady's generous addition of Samsara,I am inspired to add some jasmine sniffing to the mix, and am waiting on Donna Karan Essence Jasmine which I just got on ebay. I went with the DK because it is the most straight-ahead jasmine of which I know, in that it smells exactly like the jasmine tea I like. I also landed some MdO in the "perfume tocador" concentration which is what I wore many years ago. If it is different from the locion I may have to include both, in which case I'd best double check my decant supplies...

Basenotes Institution

Looking forward to smelling them jujy54!

-- Jack Kerouac

Yay, jasmine. This pass gets better all the time
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

queen of the universe

hi, darlings,

family issues are looming big. Time-consuming and stressful. I have a wonderful son who is a young adult, hitting a rough patch. We will get through it, and I'm looking forward to assembling this sample pass. Cyberhugs most welcome. XXXOOO

Young adult patches can be tough. Very big hugs to you xoxo

queen of the universe

Thank you kalli. He is a wonderful young guy with a big heart and some challenges. We will prevail but when he hurts I hurt.

((((((((Jujy))))))))))

I wish your both to get through your rough patch quickly and successfully!

You know, Jujy, I use Jasmine for comfort too. It's the only flower that possesses soothing and empowering qualities. Usually people turn to vanilla, spices, and wood in difficult times.

Basenotes Institution

No rush jujy54 - take your time with mine.

-- Jack Kerouac

queen of the universe

Well, the samples have been mailed, at long last. It's not exactly a sample pass, as each recipient has their own sample. WhiteFluffy, CivetLadt, mikeperez23, lucasai, cacio, PerfumedLady, and kalli are the luck recipients of:

—The Sandalwoods
    •Myrurgia Maderas de Oriente, locion formulation (made in Mexico, provenance ebay)
    •Myrurgia Maderas de Oriente, perfume de tocador formulation (made in Spain, also ebay)
    •The Gap sandalwood (thank you WHitefluffy!)

—The Jasmines
    •Donna Karan Essences Jasmine EdT
    •Serge Lutens Sarrasins EdP (bell jar straight from Paris, tiny sample, just a saturated cotton ball)

—Jasmine and Sandalwwod meet
    •Guerlain Samsara EdP, 1980s (thank you CivetLady!)

I will post my own experience with these some time this weekend. Looking forward to everyone's observations.
    Sniff on!

- - - Updated - - -

oh, and cestrum nocturnum is part of this pass, too. Sorry for the omission

Default Re: Sample Pass: Into the (Sandal)Wood meets All That Jas(mine)

It's here! And the cotton ball with Sarrasins is still soaking wet so I'm not just sniffing it, I'm wearing it! Even got a nice, bright and zingy opening; does that sound about right, jujy? Completely understand your ice cream reference, it really does have a cool creaminess about it. Really beautiful and the first Lutens that has wowed me. Will have more to say on it later, going to rub this cotton ball all over myself!

Thank you so much, jujy! I will definitely report back soon; am excited to tear into these!

queen of the universe

Hi, Perfumed Lady, so glad you are enjoying Sarrasins. I actually think it opens quiet but intense, I experience it first and foremost as a skin scent. Despite Uncle Serge's "dark side" vibe, I do find Sarrasins to be cheerful, just not extroverted.

I opened this thread with my experience of the two Maderas de Oriente formulations. I'll just add that I find the locion formulation a little dirtier, a little bit barbershop and the perfume de tocador more floral, more feminie. Both evoke my 1st experiences of sandalwood, which are soaps, fans (remember those?), and little carved statuettes, not perfumes. The Gap Sandalwood sample is elusive to me, but settles in to a sweet wood, crisp rather than creamy.

Next the jasmines. Donna Karan Essences Jasmine smells exactly like jasmine flowers and jasmine tea. It is linear, fresh, and plain, not an indole wafts by. Lately, tho, it's been my go to while I cope with some stresses. Serge Lutens Sarrasins, on the other hand, is complicated, creamy, luxe, gamy. It is also warm and cheerful, jasmine sweetened with osmanthus and oiled with leather, an odalisque of a fragrance.

Then there is Samsara, Guerlain's meeting of sandalwood and jasmine, in the lovely 80s EDP formulation generously supplied by CivetLady. It has taken me a while to warm up to Samsara. On paper I ought to love it, and yet—how to put it?—Ah: It's like having two dear friends who finally meet and can't stand one another. It's powdery sweetness overwhelmed me. In time, three separate wearings, the two leading ladies reconciled, and what seemed like noise harmonized at last. Out of curiosity, I layered MdO and DK Jasmine, just to see what would happen. I did indeed recognize both elements. I asked my ever-cooperative son to smell the Samsara on one arm and my layered experiment on the other. He pointed to the Samsara straightaway, and said, "this one." I asked if they smelled similar, and he remarked that the Samsara was "less exaggerated",very well put!

An aside: I often layer MdO with another big, straight ahead soliflore, Perfumer's Workshop Tea Rose. I had thought of adding Tea Rose to the pass, but decided o leave well enough alone. In the meantime, I snagged Elizabeth Taylor Gardenia for a song at TJ Maxx—yet another big soliflore. Tea Rose, DK Essences Jasmine, and Liz's Gardenia, that would be a an interesting grouping, "The Big, Blowsy Babes".

Looking forward to hearing from my sniffers.

Hello everyone!

I just wanted to say that I received my package yesterday, everything arrived safely. Thank you so mcuh for this opportunity, jujy!

Being a huge jasmine fan I had to go straightaway for Sarassins. And just like PerfumedLady I understood jujy's references to ice cream. "Creamy" was the first word that popped into my head. I also detected something anisic, almost licorice like in there. Didn't quite pick up the leather like others unfortunately...But it's beautiful and warm, much more interesting then A La Nuit from the same house in my opinion.

Today continuing with jasmine I am wearing DK Jasmine. So far so good. This is exactly the kind of jasmine I like - a bit green, a bit delicate, and like jujy noted - no indoles in sight. Very pretty, I might need a bottle of this...

Packet arrived here too.

I tried the DK jasmine first. A beautiful jasmine, with all the components dutifully present. I do get the sultriness of the jasmine, not sure whether that's indole or what. In the past, one could have simply commented on this as "simply a jasmine". But now that IFRA (and perhaps the EU) have made these things impossible, the comment should be more "how wonderful, a pure jasmine"!

I own and love Sarrasins. As LT says, it opens with a jasmine blast, then a fruity one (apricot, plum, peach), and finally leather. Magically, over time, osmanthus comes out of this combination - there's likely osmanthus added, but it is also that, in retrospect, osmanthus itself has these facets, a jasminey floral, a sweet apricot-y, and a drier one (like tea or leather). I don't know if IFRA has/will destroy this, but I've bought a backup bottle the last time I went to Paris.

cacio

queen of the universe

WF, since you have actually smelled Mysore sandalwood, I will look forward to your take on the two Maderas formulations.
    cacio, backup bottle, that was smart! I love Sarrasins more with each wearing. All the more reason to make travel plans...

I got the chance to try two Madera de Oriente and unfortunately I must say that they smell nothing like the oil I had. However, I was instantly reminded of vintage Chanel N 5 parfum which tells me that sandalwood in both Maderas must be both natural and of the good quality.

The Mysore sandalwood oil smelled woodsy, dry, and sweet - no oil or cream added. To me, Gap Sandalwood is still the closest thing, especially in the drydown, however synthetic and world apart from the real thing. But recently, one kind BNer sent me vintage L'Heure Attendue by Jean Patou and to me it's the closest thing - woodsy, sweet, and a bit powdery. I liked Maderas very much but the locion was more pronounced and lasted longer on my skin.
    Last edited by Whitefluffy; 14th January 2013 at 05:08 PM.

Can't wait for my package to arrive.

Basenotes Institution

Got my samples last night, I tried the Locion last night (a tiny dab on my hand) and the fragrance today (I applied the whole sample you sent me). The fragrance is very light and my skin sort of swallowed it up completely so that it's hard for me to speak about the middle notes and basenotes because I can't smell much. I did spray some on my arm but I would have to remove my blazer to bury my nose in my arm & I can't right now.

When I applied it I immediately thought of Vol de Nuit (which IMO is very similar to Miss Dior which jujy 54 mentions in her first post). It has that vintage, floral, oriental feel which I love. The sandalwood I am going to have to wait for...

-- Jack Kerouac

queen of the universe

Interesting, MdO locion lasts forever on me.

Basenotes Institution

Interesting, MdO locion lasts forever on me.
    I will try slathering that one on (you sent me a bit more of this one) and I'll let you know if that one sticks more.

I had no idea, J, that this scent was so rare. THANK YOU so much for sharing it with me. It's like a little time capsule in a vial...another time and place, for sure. I love that about vintage scents.

- - - Updated - - -

One thing I forgot to mention that I spoke about on another thread, a while ago: I think the Tom Ford scents Santal Blush and Jasmine Rouge, worn together, smell JUST LIKE Samsara. Seriously.

-- Jack Kerouac

queen of the universe

Since I have a huge bottle of the locion, I sent everyone 2 ml.

I've been (re) testing the locion and the tocador. My skin must be like mike's, because the two tend to disappear. Perhaps not as fast as with mike, but they certainly don't last four hours. Either I am anosmic to the sandalwood in the base (not that I would know, I've never consciously smelled real sandalwood), or, more likely, my skin eats it. I remember a Weil pass the sample where I had the same impression, of perfumes being eaten by my skin.

That said, they are lovely while they last, especially the locion. The tocador, on my skin, is lighter, cleaner (in relative sense, none of the two is particularly clean), and more powdery. The locion is dirtier, with a nice touch of civet. As I mentioned in a previous thread, I do detect some almondy sweet floral which to my nose recalls heliotropin. But here I may be mixing up the sweetness of real sandalwood with the florals.

I have not tried the Gap sandalwood on skin, but on paper it is surprisingly interesting, for the brand. Straightforward creamy woody, and pleasant.

cacio

queen of the universe

Ah, and here I am, just woke up, trying to figure out what to wear over last night's locion. I'm going with my vintage 50s or 60s Antilope EdT,as there are common notes. Yes, cacio, the locion is definitely "dirtier" the tocador more "polite". The tocador also reminds me of the made in Spain vintage Myrurgia Maja I have. The Gap disappears on me a little more detectable on paper. I find it crisp rather than creamy, most definitely woody.

- - - Updated - - -

Ah, and here I am, just woke up, trying to figure out what to wear over last night's locion. I'm going with my vintage 50s or 60s Antilope EdT,as there are common notes. Yes, cacio, the locion is definitely "dirtier" the tocador more "polite". The tocador also reminds me of the made in Spain vintage Myrurgia Maja I have. The Gap disappears on me a little more detectable on paper. I find it crisp rather than creamy, most definitely woody.

My package arrived today! Dear God and All Saints, it smells fabulous already, without opening any vial yet. Will try to get to sampling them ASAP, probably at the weekend.

queen of the universe

Oh, lucasai, I am so happy to hear your are loving the scents even before you sample them. This is all quality stuff, IMO.

Basenotes Institution

I am pretty sure the scent that overwhelmed all of the other scents, when I opened up my envelope from jujy54 was Sarassins. Gosh that stuff just radiates. Strong.

-- Jack Kerouac

queen of the universe

Sarrasins is big stuff, mike, though on me it is a great big skin scent. I don't think it is a sillage monster. I'm not sure I've ever worn it away from home.

cacio, I always took the animalic in the locion to be ambergris based on one tenuous association, JHAG Not a Perfume, which is pretty much Ambroxan(synthetic ambergris). What do you think?

As I said, I cannot comment much on the drydown of the locion. Ambroxan is quite different from real ambergris, to me ambroxan feels very synthetic and clean, but I haven't worn the jhag, so I cannot say whether they added also some animalic note to warm up the sharpness of the synthetic material. I mentioned civet because the feel I got from the beginning of the locion was more the warm background of civet over the florals; moreover, civet was usually added to lift jasmine. But it is well possible that both are present, indeed, they were both often present in classic perfumes, the ambergris, even back then, in small amounts.

cacio

I agree with cacio that there might be some civet in the locion and florals - jasmine? Maybe that's why vintage Chanel N 5 popped into my head. But there is some note in the locion that smells a bit rotten and disturbing to me, I am not sure what it is. I believe that both Maderas have good quality sandalwood but it's only present as a part of a blend, and not as the main player.

Gap Smooth Sandalwood (official name, sorry I failed to mentioned it earlier) is my go to when I crave sandalwood. As I said earlier I don't wear it, but used it on my sheets and pillow cases - the smell holds for days. I tried it on my skin for this pass: it warms up and holds just as long on my skin as it did on my sheets. I really do love it and maybe I will take a page from jujy's book and layer it with Tea Rose one of these days. Smooth Sandalwood is crisp and woody like jujy noted; not unlike the Mysore oil which was also crisp and woody, if much more gorgeous.

Samsara - I have mixed feelings about this one. I used to love the sandalwood base, but lately it's so synthetic and oily that it makes me sick. I don't detect any jasmine, mostly ylang-ylang.
    Last edited by Whitefluffy; 17th January 2013 at 09:24 PM.

I agree with cacio that there might be some civet in the locion and florals - jasmine? May be that's why vintage Chanel N 5 popped into my head. But there is some note in the locion that smells a bit rotten and disturbing to me, I am not sure what it is. I believe that both Maderas have good quality sandalwood but it's only present as a part of a blend, and not the main player.

Gap Smooth Sandalwood (official name, sorry I failed to mentioned it earlier) is my go to when I crave sandalwood. As I said earlier I don't wear it, but used it on my sheets and pillow cases - the smell holds for days. I tried it on my skin for this pass - it warms up and holds just as long on my skinas it did on my sheets. I really do love it and maybe I will take a page from jujy's book and will layer it with Tea Rose one of these days. Smooth Sandalwood is crisp and woody like jujy noted; not unlike Mysore sandalwood oil which was also crisp and woody, if much more gorgeous.

Samsara - I have mixed feelings about this one. I used to love the sandalwood base, but lately it's so synthetic and oily that it makes me sick. I don't detect any jasmine, mostly ylang-ylang.

So sorry for the double post!!!

queen of the universe

Hi, WF, basenotes double posts for me, too sometimes. Usually it's the first post after I've opened my browser.

I know what you mean about the rotten note in the locion, it reminds me of a rotten note I picked up in a vintage bottle of Ma Griffe, which may have been asafoetida. I find the rottenness fades.

I found some goodies in the mail yesterday! Thank you Jujy! I can't wait to start sniffing once my sniffer is back in full working order.

Basenotes Institution

I am wearing the Locion MdO now - gosh, it's so nice. No WONDER you wanted to share this with other Basenoters. It's an epiphany! Lovely stuff.

I personally smell nothing 'rotten' at all in this. Civet? Maybe. I happen to love civet in orientals and fougeres so perhaps I'm biased.

Overall I smell something that I smell in L'Heure Bleue, I will call it chewy-French-pastry and maybe it is the heliptrope that cacio mentioned above. Or maybe it's almond? Whatever it is, I love that note. But unlike the Guerlain this one is a bit more transparent and has more room to breathe it's not so tightly-spiced or as ultra-powdery. I happen to LOVE the rare and discontinued Eau de Cologne version of L'Heure Bleue the most, and this Myurgia has the same sort of feel and texture as that one. Props!

I want a bottle!!!

Oh and before I forget - I don't necessarily smell sandalwood in this Locion. But I will be re-smelling my wrists all night and if I do, I will repost.

-- Jack Kerouac

queen of the universe

Wanting to double-check on the presence of sandalwood I came across this site, including this description:
    * Frasco vintage contendo fragmento de madeira de sândalo

Família Olfativa: Oriental amadeirado, 1918 ( USA 1920)
    Gênero: feminino
    Designer: Myrurgia
    Rastro: Intenso
    Fixação: Muito Boa
    Notas olfativas: Bouquet floral, especiarias, âmbar, madeira de sândalo.

I'm starting sampling tomorrow. Will go from Sarrasins probably?

queen of the universe

Why not, lucasai? (;