Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Does anyone else strongly dislike Terre D'Hermes?

I like it and am glad I own it.

I don't dislike it but have smelled it so much that I can't bear to smell it anymore.

for swap/sale:

Basenotes Junkie

I don't dislike it, I just can't take it for too long. About 1/2 hour is my max, so I could never wear it for that reason.

I put on an EDP sample, and it smelled like bugspray+citrus dish detergent to me

Not dislike, but I like far more the Parfum version

I don't like it anymore. There must have been a reason a year back or so when I bought it but now I simply can't stand it anymore. I tried it again one time and I got a headache and a bit of nauseau actually. That was with the EdT version.

I got sick.of reading all of the positive reviews on it and HAD to have it. Man was I disappointed BIG TIME. It was a mix of rotten oranges that were burned and some other stuff that made it a spicy joke. My wife literally made me wash it off.
    Terrible stuff and grossly overrated.

Basenotes Plus

+1! I tend to wear a bit more, but also like to layer a couple shots of EdT with the Pure Parfum - something I recommend to all those that enjoy and are here in support of these wonderful bottles of true olfactory art.

A key point that I wanted to add to - there is absolutely NO MUSK in either bottle (EdT or Pure Parfum). Not even sure how one would arrive at that notion, but the base is mainly old, dry cedar wood and sun-baked vetiver root, coming up out of the bone, dry, cracking soil. The mineral quality blended with the dusty, parched soil creates incredible imagery. The benzoin has dried (imagine a sappy resin that has oozed out and has hardened), but all of these components "moisten" and warm with the light squeeze of orange and grapefruit (more rind in EdT, more juice in Pure Parfum) once they are applied to your skin. The fresh-ground pepper is more prevalent in EdT, while a pinch can be detected in the rich, juiciness of the Pure Parfum. I get a nice, green, earthy patchouli note in EdT, which is replaced by damp oakmoss in the Pure Parfum.

Very complimentary fragrances to one another - which is not always the case when a EdT and EdP bottling of a male fragrance are released (with several years in-between).

Cheers,

ericrico

Quote Originally Posted by Robert G. View Post
    It's one of my favorite JCE creations. Top notch materials and very elegant, masculine sillage. I wear two sprays of it and the sillage is just right. Incidentally, according to JCE himself, there are no musks of any kind in this fragrance.
    “Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infant’s flesh, sweet as an oboe’s cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.”

― Charles Baudelaire, The Flowers of Evil & Paris Spleen

TDH is in the top 99% of fragrances I own. I got a bottle for $18.75, as a reference fragrance. I don't love it, in fact I think it is pretty over-rated. I wore it to work the other day and got a positive comment, so it works for some people.

I do not strongly dislike terre dhermes but considering JCE created the fragrance I was expecting something grand and better. What I smell on terre d hermes is the smell of money and generic for the house of hermes
    "Nature and all her wonders guide me...Emotions find expression in fragrance. Fragrance is the music of my dreams. Fragrance is my inspiration." - Annick Goutal

Quote Originally Posted by happyscent View Post
    generic
    Interesting. Generic is one thing I haven't heard TdH called often. People love to use generic a pejorative about scents, but what else smells like TdH? I haven't smelled anything like it, but I am not very experienced, which is why I love learning from the experiences of others on this board.

Do I also get to complain that anything using the traditional fougere or chypre structure for a scent is generic?

Quote Originally Posted by Darjeeling View Post
    Interesting. Generic is one thing I haven't heard TdH called often. People love to use generic a pejorative about scents, but what else smells like TdH? I haven't smelled anything like it, but I am not very experienced, which is why I love learning from the experiences of others on this board.

Do I also get to complain that anything using the traditional fougere or chypre structure for a scent is generic?
    generic if you compare to other JCE compositions that tackle a similar theme - Cartier declaration, sisley de campagne, bvlgari au the vert - all have recreations for terre d'hermes but what you get is nothing special - mainstream, if this was release by hugo boss or dkny or kenzo this will not receive the same hype at all. It is a fragrance done with a focus group lol

It is not bad, I was just expecting something grander and better from JCE.
    "Nature and all her wonders guide me...Emotions find expression in fragrance. Fragrance is the music of my dreams. Fragrance is my inspiration." - Annick Goutal

I can't say I've ever been dumpster diving in an alley way shared by an all-night fruit and vegetable stand and a carpentry shop but, since I've worn Terre d'Hermes, I feel as though I have.

Quote Originally Posted by THEREALJWIL View Post
    I got sick.of reading all of the positive reviews on it and HAD to have it. Man was I disappointed BIG TIME. It was a mix of rotten oranges that were burned and some other stuff that made it a spicy joke. My wife literally made me wash it off.

Terrible stuff and grossly overrated.
    I have to agree....it is seriously overrated.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheatstraw2 View Post
    I can't say I've ever been dumpster diving in an alley way shared by an all-night fruit and vegetable stand and a carpentry shop but, since I've worn Terre d'Hermes, I feel as though I have.
    LOL!!! I won't go that far....but I can see where you're coming from.

I tried to like this one...I really did....but sadly, it's not for me. Honestly, I fail to see the appeal that so many in the online fragrance community seem to have for it.

I strongly dislike Terre D'Hermes.

Overload of Iso E Super that just gives me a headache.

Personally found it to be ok but not full bottle worthy. I can actually see why it can be a polarizing scent. Generic in reference to his past creations... That's a tricky one, because one find a connection in terms of style and themes through the works of many noses. I suppose there are some actors who completely disappear into their different roles and others where they seem to be the same character in every role. Repetitive maybe but I'm not sure I could label it generic.

I seriously dislike it.

Dear Mr Ellena, don't for a minute think that we are buying your ploy of taking the nasty, hot rocks smelling dissonance of the various synthetics in TdH, that shouldn't be there and wouldn't be there if you had been more careful, and claiming it was an intentional accord that you meant to include all along. It is not a sign of your genius and creativity. It was an accident, a mistake, and we both know it...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't dislike it but I've grown tired of it. When I first tried it back in 2008, I loved it but since then I got everything I could get out of the fragrance and there's just no reason for me to own or wear again.

I tried a sample of TdH and loved it, especially the orange/citrus top note. It made Allure Homme Sport smell cheap and syrupy.

I immediately bought a bottle. When I got home I tried it and I couldn't smell the citrus opening at all. I thought I had gotten a fake bottle, but it came from Sephora, so I knew it was legit.

I went back and tried the sample again, and it too had lost it's opening. It smelled exactly like the new bottle I purchased.

They now smelled almost entirely like peppery dirt. I've heard it equated to pencil shavings and that is pretty close.

I figured I must have become anosmic to the Molecule 01 or something and that is why I couldn't smell the citrus anymore. It stayed on the shelf and I would revisit it from time to time, hoping I would get that opening again. It never happened. I ended up selling the bottle.

I

I don't dislike it but I'm not the biggest fan either. With that said, while I never felt intrigued enough to commit to a full bottle, it smells absolutely awesome on the right person.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

I love it. If I could keep 1 fragrance, it would be a toss up between TdH and Jardin d' Amalfi. I have an old bottle through, and am not sure about the current formulation. I tested a new bottle a few months ago, and it seemed less complex and more linear than the old one.

Well, I do note that a lot of people says it smells a lot like Montale Red Vetyver. I dont get the pencil shavings as much out of TdH edt as I would out of whichever Dior it is thay say is pure pencil shavings. On me, the scent peters out to virtually nonexistant after 90 minutes to two hours. I prefer Red Vetyver heads up over TdH and would suggest you might look at that as an alternative and maybe some might agree that, those that do not like TdH may actually give you a thumbs up on the Montale

many people I know find it similar to camphor, play doh, bug spray. It's praised by men only.

Blind bought a 1.6oz bottle, tried it once, felt nauseated and will soon be selling / swapping it. Just not for me.

The parfum, to my nose, is waaaaaaaay better than the EDT. I get too much of the Iso E in the EDT and none of it in the Parfum.

The original bottle I had from the year it was released gave me massive headaches. The latest one I've just acquired no longer does (probably ISO e super reduced), and is much more wearable but not as explosive.

It didn't do much for me (see post #4) but now I tried it again some months ago and started to love it en it didn't smell like orange peel all over me anymore! Now it's one of my favorite all year fragrances. I think it's also a fragrance that has to work well with your skin chemistry; if it doesn't work well, it smells like old oranges; if it does, it smells fresh, masculine and earthy (vetiver) altogether.
    My Top 10 : (In no particular order)

- Dolce & Gabbana: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Paco Rabanne: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Loewe: Esencia/Pour Homme
    - Guerlain: Homme L'Eau Boisee
    - Pal Zileri: Cuoio
    - MPG: Santal Noble
    - Guerlain: Vetiver
    - Amouage: Jubilation XXV
    - Dior: Homme Intense
    - YSL: Kouros (Fraicheur)

Elegant and distinctive. Great performance, too. Don't reach for it too often as my gf is not a fan but I really like it. Quality fragrance imo...

It honestly it dose not smell like a sent a woman would like on a man. Then again who would have ever thought the smell of lipstick would drive the women crazy like it dose when I wear my second favorite: Dior Homme. Personally I enjoy it but not enough to buy a bottle yet. It is refined and sophisticated witch is what I like in my sents but i just don't enjoy anything citrus It's not my style. I would never knock it tho because like I said I like it a lot, and I understand why people love it. It's just not for me.
    Last edited by lunchbox148; 25th February 2014 at 12:21 AM.

A part of me likes it but in the end, it's just too dang orangey for my tastes.
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

Always will be in my collection... Own the EDT version. Didn't like at first, but has been one of my go to this Fall/Winter. Actually crave the woodsy smell from the ISO E Super.
    An investment in knowledge pays the best interest

- Benjamin Franklin

Had it for years. Mostly just bored by it. Not really for me. I keep it around for sentimental value, but I never reach for it.

Basenotes Plus

There are very few scents I strongly dislike, but can't really say I like it either

Tried the Pure Parfum first, and liked it, but then grew to dislike it after a few wearings. Then I tried the EDT, LOVED it, and bought a bottle. It was #1 for me for a while, and even though I've been wearing it less due to wanting to wear some colder-weather scents while I can, it's still top 5.

I own a lot of riffs on this theme of Ellena's but find them different enough to appreciate individually. If you don't like the basic structure then perhaps you won't like any of them.

I quite like TDH, it's not something i reach for all the time, but on the occasion that i do im always impressed.

I admire TDH as a scent, its a work of art. The first time i smelled it, it reminded me of dry earth (bitter citrus). When i sniffed it after few months, i didnt like it as much. The dirty bitter orange was a bit too much for me to wear.
    It's a like, not love, something I appreciate but wouldn't wear.

TDH is an interesting scent, but it's just not for me. The only occasion I can imagine myself wearing it are rainy funerals. It's not something I'd wear on a night out or in college, or office. It's just too.. gloomy. I find it depressing, or maybe sad, for some reason.

I tried to wear it but couldn't. Just didn't smell good on me. I like how it smells on other people when I'm around them, and on a card its ok but on my skin there is a combination of elements that comes off as too smooth that jus rubs me the wrong way. A scrubber.

IMHO it's pretty good but I have other frags that I like better.

Yeah, I hate it, too.
    "As perfume doth remain In the folds where it hath lain, So the thought of you, remaining Deeply folded in my brain, Will not leave me: all things leave me: You remain."

-Arthur Symons

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Popo View Post
    TDH is an interesting scent, but it's just not for me. The only occasion I can imagine myself wearing it are rainy funerals. It's not something I'd wear on a night out or in college, or office. It's just too.. gloomy. I find it depressing, or maybe sad, for some reason.
    I have to agree with this. While I do love dark fragrances, there's just something gloomy and unappealing about this one. It's the flinty wet basement part of it that I've never enjoyed. I've tried and tried to enjoy it but I just can't. I do respect it for what it is.

I don't like this fragrance either. It smells harsh, medicinal and unpleasant. Like slate with a citrus fruit drizzled on it.

I am not a fan anymore. Too dirty for my taste. And I like dirty sometimes, but not with citrus so much.
    Current favorites_____Black Tourmaline_____Gucci Pour Homme II_____Armani Prive Oud Royale_____Memoir Man_____Tuscan Leather______Montale Aoud Musk______Montale Aoud and Pine_____Sel Marin_____Invasion Barbare_____Tonka Imperial____Dior Homme Intense_____L'Humaniste____Santal 33_____Bois d'Argent_____Nio_____MFK Oud_____Lumiere Noire

It's so Iso E Super laden, I can't even smell it. Smells like nothing to me.

I Like it, was glad to wear it, but it gave me a headache every time I wore it. So I finally put 2+2 together, and gave the bottle away.
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    Gold Medal for "Best Aroma"; Los Angeles Artisan Fragrance Salon