Code of Conduct

Default HELP! (in Vegas) MfK Oud or TF Oud Wood

So I'm here in Vegas and have been to Neiman's across the street 3 times sampling both Tom Ford's Oud Wood and MfK's Oud. Both are very good but I'm leaning toward the MfK because it's probably the "cleanest" Oud I've ever experienced. Anyone with experience with either or both I would love to hear your opinions before I (really don't want to) buy both.

Default Re: HELP! (in Vegas) MfK Oud or TF Oud Wood

I'd go with the MfK's Oud

I like MFK's Oud, but I've really grown fond of TF Oud Wood.

While perhaps not as clean smelling, the cardamom in OW really gets to me. Delicious. I find Oud Wood to be smooth and easy to wear, and it's become one of my most used fragrances.

For people seeking serious oud, I imagine Oud Wood disappoints. However, if you're looking for a smooth, elegant, gently sweetened woods scent, this is worth considering.

If money it's not an issue I'd go for the MFK Oud.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    I'd go with the MfK's Oud
    Same here.

I like both. Oud Wood is more direct and straightforward, and perhaps I prefer it. But I agree that MFK is more acidic and in some sense "cleaner" smelling, with less of the medicinal band aid note. But if you are in Vegas, why not sample Dior Leather oud or Dior Ispahan (respectively, oud leather animalic, and clean oud rose?).. If you are looking for a cleaner oud, I find the ispahan more complex than MFK.

cacio

TF oud wood all the way, to me Mfk is as far from Oud as can be. and MfK is more acidic/sour.
    Last edited by hawk; 21st September 2012 at 09:31 PM.

TF Oud wood

I was just at that Niemans store earlier in the month, and I just received an order from Niemans in the mail yesterday.... If you ask for Carol Bruce and tell her "Blaine from Idaho" said to say hello, she will take excellent care of you. She is a bit of a weird and opinionated SA, but she is very nice, helpful and significantly more knowledgeable than most SA's.
    I smelled each of those scents you mentioned, and I acutally ended up buying a bottle of Ramon Monegals AGAR MUSK. It is $180 per 50ml, so it's not cheap either. But oh my it's just unreal how good it is!!!
    SO that is my two cents. Both that you are looking at are magnificent and anyone would be proud to own them (I would!) but you can only get (and smell) Ramon Monegal at Niemans. So it's more exclusive, if that is a value to you at all.

At the very least, give Agar Musk a try, Hopefully you will find it as breathtaking as I have!

GOOD LUCK!!!

PS---take a moment to go over to the palazzo shoppes and visit the Guerlain store. It's a tiny corner shoppe which turns out to be the ONLY Guerlain owned and exclusive Guerlain Boutique in the US (Ask for Johnathan, he is super helpful and very patient and generous with his time and wisdom! He knows me by name and will help you even if you don't need or want to buy)

There is a Dior Shoppe there too, that is a must see. I do not have a connection there, but it's still worth going to smell the exclusives they have in store.

I would go with Tom Ford's. I don't like the MFK at all.

Thanks for the responses people ... now I'm more confused than ever! (LOL) Heading over there now for a third and final sampling (and I'm coming out with SOMETHING dammit!)

I'm actually staying at the Palazzo and did check out all the new Dior's and Guerlain's but nothing really tickled my fancy. Dior also has a new Oud but I didn't like the drydown on that one.

MfK?

MfK's Oud is it.
    Live it simple and easy

Aventus

MFK Oud would be my pick, but it is very unique and needs testing. Some people really don't like it much. I love it.

Banned

Fuck both of those.

Creed Aventus or death!

Quote Originally Posted by ziffy321 View Post
    Dior also has a new Oud but I didn't like the drydown on that one.
    Another on top of leather and ispahan?
    Splits!

Tom Ford - Patchouli Absolu --------> http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...tchouli-Absolu

Quote Originally Posted by icanzapyou View Post
    aventus
    lol

- - - Updated - - -

Oud Wood.

MFK is better IMO. The only problem with the MFK is the longetivity. I only get half a day from mine, yet the TF will give a full day, but IMO is too strong.

Mfk