Code of Conduct

Question Esencia Loewe, similar fragance in British houses (Floris,Pens....)?

Hi this is the question, are any fragance similar to Esencia by Loewe,in this 4 houses:

FLORIS
    PENHALIGON`S
    TRUEFFIT&HILL
    GEO TRUMPER

thanks
    #TOP 5#: Polo Crest, Romeo Gigli,Jockey Club C&M, Jean Pascal Homme,Floris N 89

Dependent

Default Re: Esencia Loewe, similar fragance in British houses (Floris,Pens....)?

I haven't tried the complete lines -- definitely a couple dozen or so -- and my answer is no. English frags tend to be a lot more transparent and have less body than Esencia, which is fairly dense. I find Esencia more balanced and rich than those pale, wan English offerings. In fact, I don't own a single frag from those lines. Many are very heavy on the geranium as well, which I don't like to dominate a fragrance.

Default Re: Esencia Loewe, similar fragance in British houses (Floris,Pens....)?

thanks MonkeyBars, i,m agree in many things of his opinion.
    #TOP 5#: Polo Crest, Romeo Gigli,Jockey Club C&M, Jean Pascal Homme,Floris N 89

Penhaligons sartorial

Quote Originally Posted by FSM View Post
    Penhaligons sartorial
    not even close! loewe is so much greener and sartorial is great but very musty (cumin?).

Quote Originally Posted by FSM View Post
    Penhaligons sartorial
    I agree with benz. Horrible comparison imo.

If anything, Esencia Loewe is like a cross between Polo original and Drakkar Noir.

Sartorial is a good one indeed though, but more of a high class and more complex take on Brut, add spices and a prominent Spanish leather.

Esencia is truly one of the best fragrances ever. The dry down is remarkable. It's excellently blended. I consider Esencia to be a smooth chypre really, more so than a fourgere. But that's quite arguable.

To be honest, I tend to ignore threads on Esencia, because it's slowly fading away from the market, becoming harder and harder to find, and I have yet to get a bottle. 50 bucks is worth the money, but waiting another year or more, I am positive it will be going for hundreds on Ebay. So I keep to my selfish self when the Esencia Loewe threads come up, and pretend I know nothing about it lol. But I can't keep another BN'er out in the dark, this scent is amazing!

It's not like anything else really, to say.. comparing to one specific fragrance. Although as I said earlier, it does kind of smell like a cross between Drakkar and Polo, leaning more toward the Polo side, take out the sharp mossy notes and replace them with smooth lavender.

I have not tried anything from most of those houses except Penhaligon's. And from the 5 or 6 I have tried from them, nothing comes even close to Esencia.

^^ Hope this helps you.
    Last edited by The_Cologneist; 22nd September 2012 at 12:15 AM.
    My Current Top 10:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)
    Burberry London (2006)
    Prada Amber pour Homme (2006)
    Live Jazz (1998)
    Eau des Baux (2006)
    Midnight in Paris EDP (2010)
    Arpege pour Homme (2005)
    Eau Duelle (2010)

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    I agree with benz. Horrible comparison imo.

If anything, Esencia Loewe is like a cross between Polo original and Drakkar Noir.

Sartorial is a good one indeed though, but more of a high class and more complex take on Brut, add spices and a prominent Spanish leather.

Esencia is truly one of the best fragrances ever. The dry down is remarkable. It's excellently blended. I consider Esencia to be a smooth chypre really, more so than a fourgere. But that's quite arguable.

To be honest, I tend to ignore threads on Esencia, because it's slowly fading away from the market, becoming harder and harder to find, and I have yet to get a bottle. 50 bucks is worth the money, but waiting another year or more, I am positive it will be going for hundreds on Ebay. So I keep to my selfish self when the Esencia Loewe threads come up, and pretend I know nothing about it lol. But I can't keep another BN'er out in the dark, this scent is amazing!

It's not like anything else really, to say.. comparing to one specific fragrance. Although as I said earlier, it does kind of smell like a cross between Drakkar and Polo, leaning more toward the Polo side, take out the sharp mossy notes and replace them with smooth lavender.

I have not tried anything from most of those houses except Penhaligon's. And from the 5 or 6 I have tried from them, nothing comes even close to Esencia.

^^ Hope this helps you.
    Yes well said - I must point that one should not buy into the "English Gentlemen" propaganda that is flagged by Penhaligons, I am sorry to say this but i find only Sartorial only noteworthy, but even that is somewhat less original (as the opening smells a little like brut) but of-course as it progresses its so much more than that!

Basenotes Plus

Closest match scent-wise imo was Jo Malone's Amber & Lavender. But I agree, Esencia is in a different class. I wouldn't call it 'dense' though for it wears rather lightly on the skin. Perhaps 'full-bodied'?

Marginally, maybe C&S No. 88

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Closest match scent-wise imo was Jo Malone's Amber & Lavender.
    I own this too and it's definitely in the same ballpark, tho lighter, more herbal, and more fleeting -- there's hardly any amber in it actually.